Player Discussion Darnell Nurse Contract Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What is the cap hit from the Gryba buyout again?

Clowns, absolute clowns.

Not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, just LOL. Oilers desperately search for nearly a decade for a D like Nurse, then they finally get him and they try to haggle over 200K

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, just LOL. Oilers desperately search for nearly a decade for a D like Nurse, then they finally get him and they try to haggle over 200K

The oilers have hardly been looking for a d like Nurse for a decade. If anything he's exavctly like every other dmen weve had here the last decade. Half decent but not enough to move the needle.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I blame Nurse’s side in this situation. He hasn’t proven enough in the nhl to have a contract dispute. His agent is giving him very bad advice. Missing camp at this point in his development isn’t worth the extra few hundred grand.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I blame Nurse’s side in this situation. He hasn’t proven enough in the nhl to have a contract dispute. His agent is giving him very bad advice. Missing camp at this point in his development isn’t worth the extra few hundred grand.

The agents advise is probably "Look Darnell, this is the GM who gave Kris Russell 4 million dollars, we are going to get atleast 6 from this sucker"

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
there you go again...

You saying he's a #1? I have a hard time saying he's better then all of Gilbert, Petry, Klefbom over the last 8 years. Then you add in guys like Whitney, Vishnovsky, Souray and he's well below those guys at their peaks.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You saying he's a #1? I have a hard time saying he's better then all of Gilbert, Petry, Klefbom over the last 8 years. Then you add in guys like Whitney, Vishnovsky, Souray and he's well below those guys at their peaks.
Raab, you hate Nurse for being Nurse, you always have, you're the last person to provide perspective on this player.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Raab, you hate Nurse for being Nurse, you always have, you're the last person to provide perspective on this player.

So your saying my observations are off? Nurse is hardly the defenceman we've been looking for, for a decade. The defenceman weve been looking for are RH Norris dmen. Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo all come to mind. Nurse isnt even close to that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It's a very strange obsession.

I recall things like "worst pick in Oilers history" and "wouldn't have taken him in the second round" and at the same time admitted to not watching him play a single game in his draft year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Does this situation strike you as positive?

Doesnt come across as that negative. If its over 200K then yes its an issue because thats nothing to squabble over. Lots of high profile RFAs go thru process and not many result in negative impacts at the end of the day in regards to the relationship. LD got overpaid 1-1.5 mil per year due to caving in so early. So if Nurse and the team were in dispute over 1.5 mil (ie he was asking for 6, they were at 4.5), Id absolutely support the team in holding firm. 1-1.5 mil can be a good cushion of cap space when you are getting near the cap roof

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's a very strange obsession.

I recall things like "worst pick in Oilers history" and "wouldn't have taken him in the second round" and at the same time admitted to not watching him play a single game in his draft year.

I watched him a ton in his draft year, post draft not as much. Poor positional play, ability to dominate lower competition due to being more physically developed, bad offensive IQ, poor shot, average passing. The only thing MacT saw was a 6'6" dman who could skate. All tools, no tool box. Guy could have easily been a mid-late 1st round pick.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I blame the guy who mismanaged the cap to the point where he can't come up with the money to pay a guy who is actually worth money.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Nurse is 23 and has showed great strides in the last 2 consecutive years. Even at 23 hes on a level that Petry and Gilbert were playing at. Klefbom was amazing last year so still a bit to go there. Those other 3 guys came to the Oilers at their peak and as older players. The Oilers have basically never had a D in the past 10 years (maybe even longer), who has played his prime years here and was capable of being a top pairing D over those years. Nurse is not a top pairing level D yet, but given his development path, its not hard to imagine him being there in the next 2 years

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I watched him a ton in his draft year, post draft not as much. Poor positional play, ability to dominate lower competition due to being more physically developed, bad offensive IQ, poor shot, average passing. The only thing MacT saw was a 6'6" dman who could skate. All tools, no tool box. Guy could have easily been a mid-late 1st round pick.

And in the end, MacT was right and you were wrong. So you are more wrong than MacT, which is not a good spot to be in

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

He was a consensus top 10 pick. :help:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Nurse is worth how much though? what's an "overpay"?
we have no idea how much each side is willing to offer

To be clear: I'm find with Chia grinding Nurse on this. It's unclear where that commitment to getting the best deal was when he signed, for example, Cagguila or Koskanen.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I blame the guy who mismanaged the cap to the point where he can't come up with the money to pay a guy who is actually worth money.
Nurae hasn't shown enough for 5.5. for 8 years. His agent said any long term number starts with a 5.

Regardless of Russell who was a UFA so why keeps getting brought up? Or Chia's poor cap management ability I'd still be bridging Nurse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad