Player Discussion Darnell Nurse Contract Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'm starting to worry a little bit. I think you kind of have to at this point -- not a lot, but a little bit. Hopefully they get something done soon.

I hadn't even really checked any sites during the summer; I assumed it would be done by now. But now I find myself checking almost every day here and/or TSN if he signed yet.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I’m glad that Chia is trying to get the best deal possible for the team. Nurse has very little leverage, and he’ll either lower his demands on a long term deal or sign a reasonable bridge contract. No need to panic.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Nurse holds out, it could be just the chance that a guy like Jones or Bouchard needs to solidify a spot on the team.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
imagine signing three guys to a PTO when you don't even have the freaking cap space to sign one of your most important D man.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm starting to panic a bit.

Can someone talk me down?
It's fine. The amount of times this happens to other teams, especially over the last few seasons (think Trouba, or Gaudreau) is enough to show that agents have set precedent and there's influence from both sides to wait it out. He'll be there opening night.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
I’m glad that Chia is trying to get the best deal possible for the team.
It's because he has no choice with the $3.9M cap remaining. Koskinen at $2.5M better work out as a 1B goaltender! Otherwise chia screwed the team over with that signing especially if nurse blows up during his bridge contract

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Why imagine, when you have Chia at the helm? All you need to do is look at your watch.
makes no sense. even if guys like Chiasson or Upshall manage to nab a spot from Cagguila or Rattie etc, we probably won't even be able to give them a 950k-1m deal for one year and they'll walk to another team while we'll be stuck with the lessers

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's because he has no choice with the $3.9M cap remaining. Koskinen at $2.5M better work out as a 1B goaltender! Otherwise chia screwed the team over with that signing especially if nurse blows up during his bridge contract

Yet if Koskinen proves to be able to either be a good backup or even supplant Talbot, if Talbot sucks again this season, then Chia will look pretty damn smart.

How much is Nurse realistically going to “blow up” during his bridge contract. He’ll never be a first unit PP guy and Klefbom is likely to pair back with Larsson. This puts Nurse back on the 2nd pairing having to cover defensively for Benning/Russell this season. I’m a huge Nurse fan, but the odds of playing well enough next season to demand a long term deal that’s much more than what he is currently demanding is slim.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
makes no sense. even if guys like Chiasson or Upshall manage to nab a spot from Cagguila or Rattie etc, we probably won't even be able to give them a 950k-1m deal for one year and they'll walk to another team while we'll be stuck with the lessers

Nope.

Sekera being LTIR opens some doors

Reactions: CornKicker

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Nurse is already worth ~$5-5.5 million long term with comparables to Matheson/Skjei and with even very slight improvement in his gameplay he'll be worth $6-7 million in 2 years time with the rising cap.

I'm sure that's the cap scenario that both the team and his agent are looking at going forward but of course the issue is the lack of cap space now + the team having leverage NOW... but not in 1-2 years (arbitration becomes a factor then as well) so a short bridge deal is the likely outcome... which is obviously risky for both sides.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Yet if Koskinen proves to be able to either be a good backup or even supplant Talbot, if Talbot sucks again this season, then Chia will look pretty damn smart.

How much is Nurse realistically going to “blow up” during his bridge contract. He’ll never be a first unit PP guy and Klefbom is likely to pair back with Larsson. This puts Nurse back on the 2nd pairing having to cover defensively for Benning/Russell this season. I’m a huge Nurse fan, but the odds of playing well enough next season to demand a long term deal that’s much more than what he is currently demanding is slim.

Let's hope chia look smart this year - his job depends on it. Last season everything went wrong with his bets so hopefully he's "due" for something positive. Just like a broken clock can be right occasionally..

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yep. Sekera on LTIR frees up some space which would allow signing Nurse long term and a couple PTO players as well.

When Sekera comes back they'd potentially have to dump a player or two on waivers...(or make a trade) BUT imo you do what you can now to make the team as good as possible and worry about the cap ramifications down the line.

There's a long way between now and when Sekera likely comes back and other players can get hurt between now and then... other trades can occur etc. The cap could almost naturally take care of itself without any real issue in the next 6 months.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Why could they not afford a $1M deal. The player being replaced probably earns that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Today Oilers insider Bob Stauffer weighed in on Oilers Now.
“Darnell Nurse, most likely scenario, a two-year bridge deal. Represented by Anton Thun, who at times has challenged the management teams of respective NHL organizations. “It’s my belief that we’ll see Darnell Nurse in the Oilers’ line-up when they open up in Gothenberg, Sweden. But… I certainly felt earlier this summer that there would be no reason to believe he wouldn’t be at the start of training camp. That is a possibility, he might not be at the start of training camp given the fact we’re two days away from that happening. Do I believe he’ll play the majority of the season with the Oilers? Absolutely. Do I believe that the Edmonton Oilers organization has a tremendous amount of respect for what Darnell Nurse has? Yes, but the fact of the matter is in this situation the Oilers hold the upper hand because Nurse does not have arbitration rights. So it is prudent upon the Edmonton Oilers to deal with the player in that situation. “We’ll see where this goes. Do I see a scenario like Jacob Trouba last year [actually 2016] where Trouba missed a significant amount of games at the start of the year? No I don’t see that, I think Nurse knows he’s part of the leadership core. But there may be a divide still left to conquer on that front before things get totally consummated. That is the nature of relationships and deals like this.”​

Reactions: nexttothemoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad