Player Discussion Darnell Nurse Contract Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Valtteri Filpulla was avail at 2.75 would also have been nice. Look if Strome comes out and remains status quo, then we need to go out and find that perfect third line center push from the bottom 6. If he suddenly becomes a threat then great. Until then i don't buy the Strome is the best we can get. A good third line center is important as it build momentum for a team or at least doesnt kill it. Srome last year was the antithesis of this.
They are essentially the same player execpt one is 9 years younger with upside.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
They are essentially the same player execpt one is 9 years younger with upside.

9 years younger and:

slower
lower hockey IQ
less puck skill
no playoff experience
0 winning pedigree

Filpulla is declining definitely, but is a stop gap until we find a better option, and there will be plenty next year

oh one more thing. 275,000 less. Every penny counts

Last edited:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Brodziak will last 15-20 games at 3C and be done. Mcleod and Benson 3rd line next year? Outside of 5 games neither has any pro experience let alone throwing them into a 3rd line role next year.

Not saying it's unlike, but this scenario is best case scenario.
so the guy who had 1 less point than Strome and yet was a plus 13 is more likely to fail than Strome

Reactions: McFlash97

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
My concern with this is Chiarelli does not have much foresight. He knew going into this season he would have to Ink Nurse, He had several players he signed in the offseason, and some that easily replace Strome on the third line. Why even bother with a qualifying offer for 2 years ? Strome is easily replaceable. Then you have him handing out an extra 500,000 here an extra 500,000 there and boom you have this issue . The cap issue is because he created it. Thats kind of the point.
I have been critical of quiet a few of his signings. Not because they are wildly out of line but more so because I think he could have pinched a few more dollars out of some of these signings and every nickel counts. But to let Strome just walk would have been stupid in my eyes. I disagree that he is easily replaced on the roster. The only option to play as the #3C that is not a fair drop off from Strome would be Nuge and that just weakens you on the wing. You obviously disagree about how good Strome is so I suspect you will feel differently.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Filppula is 338th out of the 420 top TOI forwards at ES in RelT GF% over the past 7 year period. He's had average zone starts and QoC as well.

Strome is 170th in that stat out of those same 420 forwards. Roughly similar level of zone starts and QoC as well.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I have been critical of quiet a few of his signings. Not because they are wildly out of line but more so because I think he could have pinched a few more dollars out of some of these signings and every nickel counts. But to let Strome just walk would have been stupid in my eyes. I disagree that he is easily replaced on the roster. The only option to play as the #3C that is not a fair drop off from Strome would be Nuge and that just weakens you on the wing. You obviously disagree about how good Strome is so I suspect you will feel differently.

Look i know I come across as a massive Strome hater. Yes he was a downgrade from Eberle. However if Strome proves me wrong im back in, until then I have no faith in his ability to make that happen. Zip Zero none. There isn't much hockey ability there on a contending team. He is not a Cogliano, he isn't a Bonino, what is he ? he doesn't push the game, his hockey IQ is severely lacking, his speed is not third line material in todays league, his puck skill is hideous. Well see what he brings this year,

I understand the Oilers are NOT a contending team, but if they are become one, It wont be with Ryan fn Strome playing a key role on the third line.... sorry

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Look i know I come across as a massive Strome hater. Yes he was a downgrade from Eberle. However if Strome proves me wrong im back in, until then I have no faith in his ability to make that happen. Zip Zero none. There isn't much hockey ability there on a contending team. He is not a Cogliano, he isn't a Bonino, what is he ? he doesn't push the game, his hockey IQ is severely lacking, his speed is not third line material in todays league, his puck skill is hideous. Well see what he brings this year,

This would be a reasonable critique if it wasn't from a guy who is also a Kassian stan and is pushing for the corpse of Filppula to replace Strome.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
9 years younger and:

slower
lower hockey IQ
less puck skill
no playoff experience
0 winning pedigree

Filpulla is declining definitely, but is a stop gap until we find a better option, and there will be plenty next year

And you know for certain Filppula would have signed the same deal in Edmonton?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Chiarelli seemed to be real quick to jump on the Strome wagon and ink him to 2 years over 3 mill, but playing hardball on a bridge contract with Nurse, who may be the best defenseman on the team this year ? sigh. Its a bridge deal, get this out of the way moron. Alienating Nurse for future contract negotiations is probably not the way to go.
Probably because Strome was incredibly easy to sign.

You're wrong about playoff experience. He's played more playoff games than most of the guys on the Oilers.

On one hand you are criticizing Chiarelli for not saving $250K by signing an older player than Strome and on the other you are criticizing him for not giving into Nurse's demands and trying to save money. Which is it?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Probably because Strome was incredibly easy to sign.

You're wrong about playoff experience. He's played more playoff games than most of the guys on the Oilers.

On one hand you are criticizing Chiarelli for not saving $250K by signing an older player than Strome and on the other you are criticizing him for not giving into Nurse's demands and trying to save money. Which is it?

Priorities... Chiarelli's got his priorities mixed up. He gives into guys like Russell , Lucic, Overpaying a unknown commodity in Koskinen, then plays hardball with a bridge contract for Nurse. Its not that hard to grasp this concept. Cap space is the problem. Chiarelli is now back peddling with the wrong player. Obviously he has no other option then to play hardball but its because he put himself in that position in the firstplace.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Priorities... Chiarelli's got his priorities mixed up. He gives into guys like Russell , Lucic, Overpaying a unknown commodity in Koskinen, then plays hardball with a bridge contract for Nurse. Its not that hard to grasp this concept. Cap space is the problem. Chiarelli is now back peddling with the wrong player. Obviously he has no other option then to play hardball but its because he put himself in that position in the firstplace.
Fair enough but how do we know Nurse isn't being outrageous with what he wants?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This would be a reasonable critique if it wasn't from a guy who is also a Kassian stan and is pushing for the corpse of Filppula to replace Strome.

You play with what you got. Care to find Kassian's replacement on this current roster on a full time basis. 2 things Kassian has in spades that we lack, Speed and forechecking on the 4th line nonetheless. Please enlighten me with your fury.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In what sense? And yeah it is on topic assuming that you don't start to bring up past events to derail threads again.

Why should Nurse now capitulate and give up money when CHIARELLI has paid out the ass for virtually every contract and gave away $300k like candy for a Gryba buy out just a few weeks ago?

Now for the first time in 3 1/2 years they're gonna play hardball with a player, that being Nurse? I'd scoff too if I were him. If Nurse sits its curtains for the Oilers season, they have leverage and his agent knows it.

They're trying to pretend now that they're serious about contract negotiations and are choosing Nurse to squeeze money from. Give it a rest Oilers, pay him what he's asking for, you have no credibility to now be asking him to leave money on the table.

Reactions: harpoon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
9 years younger and:

slower
lower hockey IQ
less puck skill
no playoff experience
0 winning pedigree

Filpulla isn't faster than anyone in the NHL.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Fair enough but how do we know Nurse isn't being outrageous with what he wants?

Nurse probably is asking for more then what he might be worth sure, but that doesn't take away from Chiarellis lack of Foresight , which is my original point. Look at his track record in Boston..guy is a 3 -4 year GM max. After that he becomes toxic. He trades away assets on a whim, he gets shafted in any trades he makes, he will overpay for 3rd and 4th liners at the expense of star players. He is all about size and grit. He is tailor made for the old NHL. Him learning how to build a new age NHL team on the fly with us is deflating when McDavid has to carry this team to tell the truth.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why should Nurse now capitulate and give up money when CHIARELLI has paid out the ass for virtually every contract and gave away $300k like candy for a Gryba buy out?

Now for the first time in 3 1/2 years they're gonna play hardball with a player, that being Nurse? I'd scoff too if I were him. If Nurse sits its curtains for the Oilers season, they have leverage and his agent knows it.

They're trying to pretend now that they're serious about contract negotiations and are choosing Nurse to squeeze money from. Give it a rest Oilers, pay him what he's asking for, you have no credibility to now be asking him to leave money on the table.

Nurse will do whatever he feels is right. However if his demands are out of reason then he will take a bridge or sit at home. Whether Darnell likes it or not he is not as important to this team as #97 and #29. Seeing as he isn't the only RFA yet to sign I'm not too concerned. If the other young D sign and he doesn't a few days later then I will start to think that maybe a trade is a possibility.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nurse probably is asking for more then what he might be worth sure, but that doesn't take away from Chiarellis lack of Foresight , which is my original point. Look at his track record in Boston..guy is a 3 -4 year GM max. After that he becomes toxic. He trades away assets on a whim, he gets shafted in any trades he makes, he will overpay for 3rd and 4th liners at the expense of star players. He is all about size and grit. He is tailor made for the old NHL. Him learning how to build a new age NHL team on the fly with us is deflating when McDavid has to carry this team to tell the truth.
If he was all about size and grit, then Nurse would have an 8 year massive extension already signed....

Overpay 3rd and 4th liners at the expense of stars?

McDavid + Draisaitl = 21 mill
Strome, Caggiula, Brodziak, Rieder, Khaira, Kassian make less than DRAISAITL combined.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
last time we played hardball with a promising improving young dman we lost jeff petry and then complained about not having his skill set inteh lineup
only difference now is nurse wants to be here cause he knows McDavid will bring the cups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00