Player Discussion Darnell Nurse Contract Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Isn't it plausible that Chia / Nurse are waiting for the first day of the season (when Sekera goes on LTIR) to sign a deal? Do you think this is a calculated move by both to miss training camp and pre-season to get the deal that satisfies both parties?

Or is it really that both sides are playing hardball and they just can't come to an agreement? I'm glad Chia is holding tough here though - we've handed out huge long contracts in the past that have come back to bite us.

Reactions: Cypress

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Isn't it plausible that Chia / Nurse are waiting for the first day of the season (when Sekera goes on LTIR) to sign a deal? Do you think this is a calculated move by both to miss training camp and pre-season to get the deal that satisfies both parties?

Or is it really that both sides are playing hardball and they just can't come to an agreement? I'm glad Chia is holding tough here though - we've handed out huge long contracts in the past that have come back to bite us.
Nielsen said last week they were out couple hundred thousand. Don't really think it's a case of them being done and awaiting the season to start.

I don't think either side wants him to miss training camp and pre-season.

I need to find out more details as Struds talks about it all the time, but if we were just waiting I don't see why the Oilers couldn't sign Nurse to a PTO. In the meantime Nurse insures his future contract, so that if he gets hurt he gets paid. If he gets hurt Oil give him one year deal+ whatever it costs to insure contract. If he doesn't get hurt he gets his long term deal which has extra money for insurance and we can use the LTIR.

Anyone understand the whole concept of insuring future contracts? Struds literally brings it up once every two weeks, but never really goes into details.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Nielsen said last week they were out couple hundred thousand. Don't really think it's a case of them being done and awaiting the season to start.

I don't think either side wants him to miss training camp and pre-season.

I need to find out more details as Struds talks about it all the time, but if we were just waiting I don't see why the Oilers couldn't sign Nurse to a PTO. In the meantime Nurse insures his future contract, so that if he gets hurt he gets paid. If he gets hurt Oil give him one year deal+ whatever it costs to insure contract. If he doesn't get hurt he gets his long term deal which has extra money for insurance and we can use the LTIR.

Anyone understand the whole concept of insuring future contracts? Struds literally brings it up once every two weeks, but never really goes into details.

Lol, that's a terrible negotiating strategy for Nurse. Have you ever negotiated a major contract before?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Chiarelli seemed to be real quick to jump on the Strome wagon and ink him to 2 years over 3 mill, but playing hardball on a bridge contract with Nurse, who may be the best defenseman on the team this year ? sigh. Its a bridge deal, get this out of the way moron. Alienating Nurse for future contract negotiations is probably not the way to go.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Chiarelli seemed to be real quick to jump on the Strome wagon and ink him to 2 years over 3 mill, but playing hardball on a bridge contract with Nurse, who may be the best defenseman on the team this year ? sigh. Its a bridge deal, get this out of the way moron. Alienating Nurse for future contract negotiations is probably not the way to go.
From the rumors it's Nurses sign playing hard ball wanting a big deal.

Nurse might be our best defender this year. Maybe. He wasn't last year or the year before that. You don't give a big contract to someone cause you think they might be good.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I wonder if the chain of events is basically:

• Sign PTOs to flesh out 4th line depth.
  • Trade Kassian
  • Sign Nurse bridge

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Strome's contract was easy. He had QO of $3M so they offered him that in the first year with a small raise in the second. HE accepted. Nurse's deal is a lot more complicated. They may have less cap space than what Nurse is asking for.

Reactions: MisterD

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wonder if the chain of events is basically:

• Sign PTOs to flesh out 4th line depth.
  • Trade Kassian
  • Sign Nurse bridge
Being that some of the PTO's and Jerabek are D and how much buzz Caleb Jones is getting (everything seems to be written about him) I'm sensing something else. My suspicion is the org and the media lackies preparing the fanbase for a hard landing re: Nurse.

Kind of the way this org works things.

Expect a couple bad things to be said about Nurse as well. Something like not playing for the team...;)

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Strome's contract was easy. He had QO of $3M so they offered him that in the first year with a small raise in the second. HE accepted. Nurse's deal is a lot more complicated. They may have less cap space than what Nurse is asking for.

My concern with this is Chiarelli does not have much foresight. He knew going into this season he would have to Ink Nurse, He had several players he signed in the offseason, and some that easily replace Strome on the third line. Why even bother with a qualifying offer for 2 years ? Strome is easily replaceable. Then you have him handing out an extra 500,000 here an extra 500,000 there and boom you have this issue . The cap issue is because he created it. Thats kind of the point.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
My concern with this is Chiarelli does not have much foresight. He knew going into this season he would have to Ink Nurse, He had several players he signed in the offseason, and some that easily replace Strome on the third line. Why even bother with a qualifying offer for 2 years ? Strome is easily replaceable. Then you have him handing out an extra 500,000 here an extra 500,000 there and boom you have this issue . The cap issue is because he created it. Thats kind of the point.
Like who?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hopkins- McDavid - ???? Yamamoto/Rattie/whomever steps up
Lucic - Draisaitl - Reider
Khaira - Brodziak - Puljujarvi
Kassian- Caggiula - Upshall

better speed, more veteran leadership, and a chance for both Yam and Poolparty to grow and take on big roles by seasons end.

Next year and moving forward you have guys like Cody Mcleod, Tyler Benson replacing duties on the third line if they keep improving.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If the Oiler start the season wihtout Nurse and Sekera... we're basically ****ed.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Being that some of the PTO's and Jerabek are D and how much buzz Caleb Jones is getting (everything seems to be written about him) I'm sensing something else. My suspicion is the org and the media lackies preparing the fanbase for a hard landing re: Nurse.

Kind of the way this org works things.

Expect a couple bad things to be said about Nurse as well. Something like not playing for the team...;)

Ugh. I have a sneaking suspicion your not wrong and it pisses me off.

Such a textbook Oilers old boys club move.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Like who?

better speed, more veteran leadership, and a chance for both Yam and Poolparty to grow and take on big roles by seasons end.

Next year and moving forward you have guys like Cody Mcleod, Tyler Benson replacing duties on the third line if they keep improving.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

gross
Brodziak played 4th line minutes last season and getting older...not sure he's capable of more minutes

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Brodziak will last 15-20 games at 3C and be done. Mcleod and Benson 3rd line next year? Outside of 5 games neither has any pro experience let alone throwing them into a 3rd line role next year.

Not saying it's unlike, but this scenario is best case scenario.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Valtteri Filpulla was avail at 2.75 would also have been nice. Look if Strome comes out and remains status quo, then we need to go out and find that perfect third line center push from the bottom 6. If he suddenly becomes a threat then great. Until then i don't buy the Strome is the best we can get. A good third line center is important as it builds momentum for a team or at least doesn't kill it. Strome last year was the antithesis of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad