Player Discussion Darnell Nurse Contract Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nurse will be signed. Buncha chicken littles in here. There are a plethora of unsigned RFAs left so don't see the need for freaking out.... yet. It'll get done.

My god, this season needs to start already and something positive needs to happen. This place is deteriorating quickly.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
9 years younger and:

slower
lower hockey IQ
less puck skill
no playoff experience
0 winning pedigree

Filpulla is declining definitely, but is a stop gap until we find a better option, and there will be plenty next year

oh one more thing. 275,000 less. Every penny counts
So you have no actual stats to back up your statement than Filppula is better than strome.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nurse can actually skate and pass ..... :laugh: maybe that's why Chiarelli is back peddling

Nurse isn't exactly great at passing. He made some big strides last season in this area but he's hardly anything special in this area.

last time we played hardball with a promising improving young dman we lost jeff petry and then complained about not having his skill set inteh lineup
only difference now is nurse wants to be here cause he knows McDavid will bring the cups

Petry was an UFA, hardly the same situation.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yet if Koskinen proves to be able to either be a good backup or even supplant Talbot, if Talbot sucks again this season, then Chia will look pretty damn smart.

How much is Nurse realistically going to “blow up” during his bridge contract. He’ll never be a first unit PP guy and Klefbom is likely to pair back with Larsson. This puts Nurse back on the 2nd pairing having to cover defensively for Benning/Russell this season. I’m a huge Nurse fan, but the odds of playing well enough next season to demand a long term deal that’s much more than what he is currently demanding is slim.

I’m glad that Chia is trying to get the best deal possible for the team. Nurse has very little leverage, and he’ll either lower his demands on a long term deal or sign a reasonable bridge contract. No need to panic.

You know its going bad when Nabob Stauffer turns on him...

Reactions: harpoon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You know its going bad when Nabob Stauffer turns on him...

No I just don’t see the irrational fear like posters such as yourself have. On one hand you claim Nurse is garbage and include him in every proposal you have made for 3 years. On the other you’re afraid to bridge him because he might blow up and his next contract will be way too expensive.

Some of us are able to think rationally and see that Nurse is currently a very good all around Dman and will only get better, but that his opportunities for offensive minutes will probably be limited so it will be difficult for him to put up numbers that will warrant a huge raise. Is that simple enough for you to be able to comprehend?

Reactions: MikeFLB

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
No I just don’t see the irrational fear like posters such as yourself have. On one hand you claim Nurse is garbage and include him in every proposal you have made for 3 years. On the other you’re afraid to bridge him because he might blow up and his next contract will be way too expensive.

Some of us are able to think rationally and see that Nurse is currently a very good all around Dman and will only get better, but that his opportunities for offensive minutes will probably be limited so it will be difficult for him to put up numbers that will warrant a huge raise. Is that simple enough for you to be able to comprehend?

I never said I wouldnt bridge Nurse, actually I would prefer that at 2.75-3M

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why should Nurse now capitulate and give up money when CHIARELLI has paid out the ass for virtually every contract and gave away $300k like candy for a Gryba buy out just a few weeks ago?

Now for the first time in 3 1/2 years they're gonna play hardball with a player, that being Nurse? I'd scoff too if I were him. If Nurse sits its curtains for the Oilers season, they have leverage and his agent knows it.

They're trying to pretend now that they're serious about contract negotiations and are choosing Nurse to squeeze money from. Give it a rest Oilers, pay him what he's asking for, you have no credibility to now be asking him to leave money on the table.
Because he's an RFA and his internal comparables are two similarly aged defensemen who are higher than him on the depth chart making $4.167m over term. His agent doesn't have a leg to stand on asking for the same cap number on a bridge deal. Jacob Trouba pulled the same shit on his first RFA deal and he ended up with a two year, $3m aav deal. He was considerably more established and offered three years of consistent play.

Both sides are looking bridge. It's not hard to find a fair number in the low threes.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Priorities... Chiarelli's got his priorities mixed up. He gives into guys like Russell , Lucic, Overpaying a unknown commodity in Koskinen, then plays hardball with a bridge contract for Nurse. Its not that hard to grasp this concept. Cap space is the problem. Chiarelli is now back peddling with the wrong player. Obviously he has no other option then to play hardball but its because he put himself in that position in the firstplace.
'Gives into' UFAs? It's pretty simple. You pay them or they play elsewhere. Again, I'm not sure where that comes into play when discussing an RFA negotiation.

If he's pissed that he was put off until training camp, sure. But isn't spending the money that could be going to Nurse not a tactic of shrewd negotiation? It seems that people just want to kick and scream every time they have an opportunity.

Reactions: MisterD

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
last time we played hardball with a promising improving young dman we lost jeff petry and then complained about not having his skill set inteh lineup
only difference now is nurse wants to be here cause he knows McDavid will bring the cups
Petry and Nurse are entirely different circumstances.

Petry was a year away from UFA status and was signed early in the summer. It wasn't the Oilers playing hardball, it was the MacT not being able to recognize a good player.

Nothing wrong with doing this with Nurse so long as we get him signed to a good deal. We've gone this far, better not give in now. Should have done this with all our RFAs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Camp starts tomorrow, bunch of RFAs missing the first day league wide. Wonder how many miss the entire pre season.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah, I’m not seeing a whole lot of leverage here for Nurse, personally.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Have you seen our defense?
Yes, but have you seen the difference between a few million dollars and zero dollars? Seems like that could be a pretty big pull for a 23 year old getting his second contract.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes, but have you seen the difference between a few million dollars and zero dollars? Seems like that could be a pretty big pull for a 23 year old getting his second contract.
Yes I have, but come on, we have a master negotiator in the office...

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Had a dream I woke up and both Nylander and Nurse were signed.

What a boring dream. But - Nylander 6.825 x 6 and Nurse 3.425 x 2 on a bridge.

Again, what a boring dream.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Saw this Tableau posted on the main boards. Thought it was pretty interesting.

Tableau Public

It shows how elite Nurse is at transitioning.
Nurse has plenty of flaws but he's one of the best in the league at controlled zone exits/entries. So good that it makes up for his relatively poor passing skills.

It's a shame he hasn't figured out what to do with the puck after he's entered the offensive zone.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nurse has plenty of flaws but he's one of the best in the league at controlled zone exits/entries. So good that it makes up for his relatively poor passing skills.

It's a shame he hasn't figured out what to do with the puck after he's entered the offensive zone.

I think if he works on his shot, he would end up being pretty effective. He gets a ton of shots off, but I doubt he's worked much on stuff like shot selection, creating angles, etc. since junior.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Yawney can do with him. Lindholm and Manson were fairly low offensive types that improved quite a bit while he was with the Ducks.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I think if he works on his shot, he would end up being pretty effective. He gets a ton of shots off, but I doubt he's worked much on stuff like shot selection, creating angles, etc. since junior.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Yawney can do with him. Lindholm and Manson were fairly low offensive types that improved quite a bit while he was with the Ducks.
The physical tools are there for sure, I'm just not sure about his hockey sense. He always makes a great play to enter the offensive zone and then promptly skates into the corner and shovels the puck at the net.

I remember reading that he worked on his shot this summer. I wouldn't mind putting him on the PP since him and McDavid are dominant together at ES.

Reactions: McDNicks17

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
What is the cap hit from the Gryba buyout again?

Clowns, absolute clowns.

That's one part of it. But they actually do have the cap space to cover that gap, if reports that Nurse is looking for around 3 are true. But after all his stupid spending, Chiarelli is going to play hard-ball now, with his best defenseman from last year? Really?

It wouldn't surprise me if Pistol Pete is dumb enough to think that Gravel and Jerabek provide him with leverage in this case.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I understand nurse will most likely get signed eventually... But with sekera already out, we really can't afford to have nurse miss TC and pre season especially over the amount of money we just wasted on the gryba buyout.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

From his POV it can also be " I can sit out a few weeks and make an extra 500K to 1 million per year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad