Player Discussion Darnell Nurse Contract Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yes, absolutely. Two year bridge is a must have.
I rather have 1 year. If he's going to continue to get better, one year probably gives us a better chance at a lower number long-term. 2 years of Nurse improving could result in the 7mil contract

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I rather have 1 year. If he's going to continue to get better, one year probably gives us a better chance at a lower number long-term. 2 years of Nurse improving could result in the 7mil contract
2 yr works better since we cant afford to pay Nurse big money until we offload Russell AND Sekera. Buying one of them out with 1 yr left on deal is a lot easier than with 2yrs left. Nurse, Klefa, Larsson, Bouchard is the future. Hope one of Jones\Bear\Benning pan out.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Probably easier. Nurse thinks he's a #3 and wants to be paid that way. Oilers hope he's that but don't want to pay that yet

I’m thinking next contract he’s gonna want top pairing dollars and will be arbitration eligible. Assuming he progresses, that next contract will be pricey.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Next negotiation will be easier in the sense that it will get done a lot quicker. He will either play up to a level of being worth it or he won't.

If he does you pay that man his money and find a way to make it work.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Next negotiation will be easier in the sense that it will get done a lot quicker. He will either play up to a level of being worth it or he won't.

If he does you pay that man his money and find a way to make it work.

Exactly. If he proves he is more than a second pairing Dman then he gets paid as such. If his play doesn’t improve much from what it was last season then he doesn’t get paid much more than this contract.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Where's this assumption that Nurse 'deserves' a long-term deal? He doesn't. He's had one very good stretch of games where he's looked like a legitimate top four defenseman. A bridge deal gives him the opportunity to prove his worth over the next two seasons and actually earn the long-term deal. It also gives the Oilers the opportunity to play through the contracts of two veteran defensemen in Sekera and Russell and potentially replace them with internally developed players.

I don't think at any point the Oilers were looking at a long-term deal with Nurse. It was going to be bridge deal all along.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
A one year bridge takes him to arbitration, can't see why he wouldn't go for that.
what is his leverage? if he wants 1yr deal then he might have to take 1M. Even with arbitration he cant command much more than Morrissey.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
what is his leverage? if he wants 1yr deal then he might have to take 1M. Even with arbitration he cant command much more than Morrissey.

His leverage is the Oilers D is a gongshow even when he's in the lineup and a tire fire without him.

I expect he'd get $5M easy from an arbitrator.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
His leverage is the Oilers D is a gongshow even when he's in the lineup and a tire fire without him.

I expect he'd get $5M easy from an arbitrator.

Correct. This is an outcome that Chiarelli simply can't have happen. We won't be ready to add that contract next summer.

Even if it means Darnell misses some games and the Oilers lose them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad