Player Discussion Darnell Nurse Contract Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What? Montour just got 3.3mill and he is better than Nurse. 3.5 for Nurse get out.

Him and Morrissey are arguably equals. Nurse plays more physical, Morrissey is better defensively and was top pairing on one of the best teams in the league last year.

3.25mill is probably the highest they should go. 3.5 would be another in the line or Chia overlays everyone screams about

Our GM is Chia. So Nurse will get more than Morissey got. I'd pretty much book it.

I find it interesting as well that everybody here is suddenly saying Jomo is a top D in Winnipeg. Anybody would think that was Trouba or Buffy. Morrissey was 4th in toi. Jets basically were a top 4 D, with neither of the pairings standing out over the other. They don't have a defined top pairing. If Morrisey is the best of the lot why was he 4th in toi?

Nurse played 2mins more /game in Edmonton and will play more going forward. Particularly with Sekera out longterm.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
There were other teams bidding for his services. If the Oilers' offer was less he likely signs somewhere else. Rather than trying to make a trade for or sign a backup who is a known commodity at the NHL level they decided to pay more on a one year deal for a goalie who has been playing well in the KHL and internationally, and who might have what it takes to be a starter in the NHL as a safety net for Talbot. This is not a bad play when your goaltending the previous year was poor for a large stretch of the year.

Sorry for the late reply...

I really like what Koskinen brings to the table and get that he signed with the highest bidder. If he can pan out in the way you described, that's a huge win for the Oilers. I also totally get where the Oilers were coming out on this as their track record with backups has been atrocious. The thing that strikes me as odd is Koskinen signs for $2.5 million but the KHL goalie of the year who also played in more games and was statistically better than Koskinen the past two KHL seasons, signed with Colorado for less than $700 K. The optics of these two deals just don't make any sense to me. My main point was I believe Nurse would likely have signed in the summer if Chiarelli had a bit more money to fall back on and I look at this particular signing as the cause. Anyways, I digress...I don't want to derail the thread by discussing the backups.

Hopefully the announced Morrissey deal gets something done in the next day or two with Nurse and he signs around 3. He's not doing himself or the team any favors missing camp and the first pre-season game is in 24 hours.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
We're talking about the present grandpa, not time long since passed.

giphy.gif

The present " NHL" is less about physicality than moving the puck.

I personally still feel both are relevant even now, but all 3 players I mentioned excelled in an era of physical play. So your post is way off the mark and makes no sense

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The present " NHL" is less about physicality than moving the puck.

I personally still feel both are relevant even now, but all 3 players I mentioned excelled in an era of physical play. So your post is way off the mark and makes no sense

Thats a fiction to hide the league agenda. T3ams arevstill plenty physical if they need to fix a result for american ratings while the refs jam their heads up their ass.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
If Nurse wants 4, he can sit. His only leverage is to do that. The risk is that the Oilers play very well and look like they don't miss his presence.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet...I am inclined to think that there is something to this....

Like I have said all along. The rumors I am hearing Chia is 100% in the right here and it has nothing to do with his previous deals messing up the cap. Nurse and his agent just think Nurse is a much better player than he has shown

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Like I have said all along. The rumors I am hearing Chia is 100% in the right here and it has nothing to do with his previous deals messing up the cap. Nurse and his agent just think Nurse is a much better player than he has shown

I agree.

You have to think that the Morrissey deal impacts this situation. I have no idea how the Nurse camp can justify almost $1M more than what Morrissey just signed for on a 2 year deal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure if this has been posted yet...I am inclined to think that there is something to this....

Nurse can ask for whatever he wants. If he wants to play and get paid, he'll need to sign what the Oilers are offering.

That is the message our management team should be sending.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I don't get what this is saying exactly. If he is valuing himself at that, of course he'd be asking for that, right?

It just seems odd though. Is it possible this is for more than 2 years? I get that 6-8 years at 4 million is too low, but perhaps 3-5 years?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Your very wrong about Morrissey. He's a #1 in the making. Took him a bit longer to get to the NHL, but he's got tons of talent. I believe it was Draisaitl who said he was the most talented dman he had played with in junior.

Maybe you’re thinking of McDavid calling Nurse the best Dman he had ever played against during their OHL playoff series?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse can ask for whatever he wants. If he wants to play and get paid, he'll need to sign what the Oilers are offering.

That is the message our management team should be sending.

I agree and based on the fact that Nurse flew to Toronto it looks to me thats exactly what the Oilers did.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't get what this is saying exactly. If he is valuing himself at that, of course he'd be asking for that, right?

It just seems odd though. Is it possible this is for more than 2 years? I get that 6-8 years at 4 million is too low, but perhaps 3-5 years?

Not necessarily. The way I read this is that the Nurse camp is suggesting that Nurse is worth $4M so if they go below that then it looks like they gave something significant in the end.
Its a setup for the next contract negotiation...thats how I read this.

This seems to be all about the next contract.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Not that I seriously think he would do this but hypothetically is there another league he could play for and get comparable money? And I think if you sit out for two seasons you become a UFA right?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
. The thing that strikes me as odd is Koskinen signs for $2.5 million but the KHL goalie of the year who also played in more games and was statistically better than Koskinen the past two KHL seasons, signed with Colorado for less than $700 K. The optics of these two deals just don't make any sense to me.

I believe the difference is that Francouz signed an entry level deal that Koskinen wasn't eligible for.

Reactions: McFuhryous

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not that I seriously think he would do this but hypothetically is there another league he could play for and get comparable money? And I think if you sit out for two seasons you become a UFA right?
Not sure about the 2nd part... Nurse is years away from becoming a UFA.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nielson tweeted this out after:

Lets hope it does.
If nothing else it has to shine a light on the reality that Nurse IS NOT worth close to $4M at this point in time.
So an initial ask of $4M as a starting point is baseless.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I believe the difference is that Francouz signed an entry level deal that Koskinen wasn't eligible for.
That's what I thought as well but Francouz wasn't eligible for an ELC either. The Avs got him incredibly cheap and it doesn't look like he'll be on the roster. He just wanted to come over to North America I guess.

It sounds like there was a lot of competition for Koskinen which contributed to his salary being so much more.

Reactions: McFuhryous

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So Nurse camp is coming with a lil 4 Mil and Chia is probably at a lil under 3M on a 2 yr deal.

Based on Morrissey's singing Nurse camp needs to meet lower than half way. 3.25should get it done.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So Nurse camp is coming with a lil 4 Mil and Chia is probably at a lil under 3M on a 2 yr deal.

Based on Morrissey's singing Nurse camp needs to meet lower than half way. 3.25should get it done.

I would be fine with that but if the Nurse camps initial was $4M then thats a big drop from where they started.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's what I thought as well but Francouz wasn't eligible for an ELC either. The Avs got him incredibly cheap and it doesn't look like he'll be on the roster. He just wanted to come over to North America I guess.

It sounds like there was a lot of competition for Koskinen which contributed to his salary being so much more.
From what I am told here and elsewhere. Francouz is very good but his size will hurt him a lot over here. Tiny goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad