Darling, apparently there was a hockey game tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Still dunno how Phillips missed that WIDE OPEN net.

Oh man thought that one was going in. I didn't see the first two periods but I did see the third I thought they looked good and put some real pressure on a very good team.

2-1 on the road in a back to back against Chicago aint bad. Reading through the thread alot of negativity towards Karlsson... I think once Methot gets back it will allow him to play his game and this team will be much better.

Chiasson is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. Love his game!

For a veteran with a lot of experience Legwand sure makes a bunch of stupid plays.
Not impressed with him at all. I know it was last game but that idiotic play not getting it in deep in o.t still pisses me off.

BigBush*

They were playing CHicago. I agree, it was quite obvious.

Yet they managed to look pretty damn good in the third and most of the first. I don't think that the 9ish minutes Greening and Condra played are responsible for the collapse in the second. MIght Lazar and Stone done something better with those minutes? We'll never know.

Regardless they'll be in tomorrow, i think most of us will agree that its the right move.
Yes obviously Chicago is a better team.
Ottawa didn't collapse in the second period last night, that just happened to be when Chicago scored their goals. They were outplayed for the whole game, hence the 40+ shots.
I do think the 9 minutes that Greening and Condra played, and as others have mentioned Niel made a big difference.
I understand making Lazar a healthy scratch to ease him into the league but no way should Stone be.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yes obviously Chicago is a better team.
Ottawa didn't collapse in the second period last night, that just happened to be when Chicago scored their goals. They were outplayed for the whole game, hence the 40+ shots.
I do think the 9 minutes that Greening and Condra played, and as others have mentioned Niel made a big difference.
I understand making Lazar a healthy scratch to ease him into the league but no way should Stone be.

I disagree, the Hawks were the better team but they simply didn't dominate the whole game. WHen they took control they took control and the puck was in Ottawa's end for long periods of time. The Senators couldn't take it to the hawks in the same way, but they still controlled chunks of the game.

Even just looking at shot totals is a strong indication of what unfolded in that game. 17-12 in favour of chicago in the first. Reflects the fact that the Sens controlled the first half of the period, but chicago took over as it went on resulting in their shot total lead.

The second speaks for itself, the Sens were dominated for whistle to whistle. 17-5 shots for chicago.

The third Ottawa took control for stretches, had some great chances but struggled to maintain pressure and capitalize. They outshot the hawks in that period 16-11.

Sarcasticus

Mar 25, 2010
Ottawa
Twits for next game
--
Dan Séguin ‏@SeguinSports 29s29 seconds ago
News from Columbus. After missing 5 straight games, Jared Cowen returns to the #Sens lineup tomorrow night. Robin Lehner in nets. #cbcott
--

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Twits for next game
--
News from Columbus. After missing 5 straight games, Jared Cowen returns to the #Sens lineup tomorrow night. Robin Lehner in nets. #cbcott
--
interesting that lehner is starting

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree, the Hawks were the better team but they simply didn't dominate the whole game. WHen they took control they took control and the puck was in Ottawa's end for long periods of time. The Senators couldn't take it to the hawks in the same way, but they still controlled chunks of the game.

Even just looking at shot totals is a strong indication of what unfolded in that game. 17-12 in favour of chicago in the first. Reflects the fact that the Sens controlled the first half of the period, but chicago took over as it went on resulting in their shot total lead.

The second speaks for itself, the Sens were dominated for whistle to whistle. 17-5 shots for chicago.

The third Ottawa took control for stretches, had some great chances but struggled to maintain pressure and capitalize. They outshot the hawks in that period 16-11.

One thing lost in all this is that Chicago was seriously sheltering it's 3rd pair even on the tail end of a back to back, a luxury they probably can't keep up for a full season. Van Riemsdyk played 7 mins, and Rundblad 6:30, and thats with the ~30 secs of PP. This probably was part of why they took it to us for a while, but we were able to turn the tides in the third with fatigue kicking in for them.

People complain about our 3rd pair, but Chicago has it even worse imo, they just happen to have a good enough top 4 to mask their deficiencies. They'll need to fix that before playoff time.

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
I agree and I'd love to see those lines.

Even Chiasson replaced with Stone.

Hoffman-Zib-Ryan could be great 2nd line with different elements.

Mac-Turris-Stone/Chiasson just seems like it would automatically click.

Milo-Legs-Stone/Chiasson is a very dependable 3rd line.

Yep, Milo/Legs/Chiasson could work for sure as well. Looked like Milo and Chia had chemistry developing on the powerplay last night.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
The good news is that it seems fairly obvious why Ottawa looked so poor last night.
Stone and Lazar are impact players (more so Stone right now) and should not be healthy scratched, especially when they are getting replaced with Greening and Condra.

Jesus I'm freaking pulling my hair out...We can't afford to lose any points in the standings. Anyone who knows anything about hockey know these two guys are impact players. IDGAF how young they are, play them in every game for the rest of the season.

I would have rather Stone or Lazar play defence last night over Wiercioch. Let alone being scratched for Greening.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Twits for next game
--
--

I hope he comes out pissed and destroys a few bodies out there.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This is it for Cowen I think

Either he shows up and plays well or if the right deal comes along we will trade him

Crunch time for the big guy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That quick to give up on him?

No but I have to think that if Cowen doesn't play well after getting benched for so long it will go a long way in pushing management to think that he is expendable. Garrioch has said that management are hesitant to give up on him, when talking about people asking about him in trades: they still have faith in him, and they should, but like Maclean said prior to the season starting, it's time for the young label to come off and for Cowen to start living up to expectations.

It's going to be an important game in the relationship between Cowen and the Ottawa Senators.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That quick to give up on him?

Cowen is turning 24 in a few months. Wiercioch is already 24.

There's a point in a player's career where you just have to give up on him when you don't see enough progress, even if the player was once highly touted. See: Schenn, Luke.

I'm not saying it's right now for Cowen and Wiercioch, but it's getting pretty close.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is it for Cowen I think

Either he shows up and plays well or if the right deal comes along we will trade him

Crunch time for the big guy

Well I think we'll see what he is really made of next game. I hope he does play well, but I wont hold my breath.

Interesting that teams are inquiring which means he still does have some value.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cowen is turning 24 in a few months. Wiercioch is already 24.

There's a point in a player's career where you just have to give up on him when you don't see enough progress, even if the player was once highly touted. See: Schenn, Luke.

I'm not saying it's right now for Cowen and Wiercioch, but it's getting pretty close.

Its odd how both of them have regressed, but its not the first time a young player has got a long contract and his play has tailed off.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Ceci was phenomenal yet again. I'm mesmerized by how many times I say "what a play by Ceci" whenever he is on the ice.

Wiercioch was good in the 3rd.
Did I mention how much I love Ceci?

Agree on Ceci. To think that just over 12 months ago we were talking about him needing 2 or 3 years in Bingo.

For people who still think Wiercioch can be a good player in this league: watch the difference between him and Ceci in their own end. Ceci aggressively chases down puck carriers and wins puck battles. Wiercioch exemplifies what has plagued us for a couple of seasons in our own end... a consistent inability to regain the puck.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Agree on Ceci. To think that just over 12 months ago we were talking about him needing 2 or 3 years in Bingo.

For people who still think Wiercioch can be a good player in this league: watch the difference between him and Ceci in their own end. Ceci aggressively chases down puck carriers and wins puck battles. Wiercioch exemplifies what has plagued us for a couple of seasons in our own end... a consistent inability to regain the puck.

I think most on here have finally come to terms with the fact that Weircioch good numbers were a facade

He's awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad