Darling, apparently there was a hockey game tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Zibby is making some progress. Just has to turn up the passion.

One thing you see with the really great players, is they want the puck at all times, and they'll go to hell and back to get it on their sticks. That's what I want the guys on the team to do. If your man has the puck, go after him. Don't hesitate, don't think, just act like a bull and charge. Act like your life depends on getting that puck.

But definitely, Andy, Chiasson, Michalek and Ceci all played very well. Unfortunately, that's not enough against an elite team like the Hawks.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Anderson had over 40 saves didn't he? And he kept the Hawks to only two goals & kept his team in it until the end with no help from his defence which includes Karlsson. I thought he should have stopped Toews from going around the net by getting in front of him, not chase him behind the net. Anderson was slow to get over there to make the save & could have used some help, other than that goal Anderson had a great night I thought. It was a close game thanks mostly to Anderson.

So you'd prefer to see Karlsson give up the middle of the rink to prevent Toews from going around the net? And get toe-dragged?

This is just an agenda fuelled by hindsight. Karlsson was far from his best, but also far from the reason we lost.

He gets ripped for getting out of the way on a goal where Andy got screened by 2 other players, anyway. Ryan didn't look too keen on challenging the shot there, and I fail to see how Karlsson screening prevents the goal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So you'd prefer to see Karlsson give up the middle of the rink to prevent Toews from going around the net? And get toe-dragged?

This is just an agenda fuelled by hindsight. Karlsson was far from his best, but also far from the reason we lost.

He gets ripped for getting out of the way on a goal where Andy got screened by 2 other players, anyway. Ryan didn't look too keen on challenging the shot there, and I fail to see how Karlsson screening prevents the goal.

Kinda funny....people complain when the goalie is screened, people complain about shot blocking....and when it isn't done people complain anyway!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
yes andy you need to top sliding out of your net.
kaptain karl i wish you would do a little less of firing at the net from the right side before anyone else is in the o zone with you. i know i know, you're too fast. at least make sure you hit the net.
zib, just skate it down the middle. you strong.
kyle, ask the coach for more ice time.
philly, don't do that.
greening, stop being nice. right now.
everyone else keep it going. looking pretty good overall. i like this team. exciting and not as frustrating to watch as last year for sure. a little bit better each day and we'll be fine. i see big improvements already. thank you

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Anderson had over 40 saves didn't he? And he kept the Hawks to only two goals & kept his team in it until the end with no help from his defence which includes Karlsson. I thought he should have stopped Toews from going around the net by getting in front of him, not chase him behind the net. Anderson was slow to get over there to make the save & could have used some help, other than that goal Anderson had a great night I thought. It was a close game thanks mostly to Anderson.

I said in my post that Anderson had a sick game so we can't blame him but no way that wrap around is on Karlsson. Anderson then Philly abd Zib are to blame 3x more here. We got outplayed and Anderson kept us in but that ref didn't help we spent the 2nd on the PK and he kept missing calls on the Hawks, trips slashes and hooks, crazy

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Was not able to catch the game and 2-1 against one of the best teams in the league is decent.....question for those who watched did we make the rookie netminder look awesome? Have not checked the stats but seems this team has a longstanding issue making less than stellar goalies look terrific, especially guys playing their first game.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Was not able to catch the game and 2-1 against one of the best teams in the league is decent.....question for those who watched did we make the rookie netminder look awesome? Have not checked the stats but seems this team has a longstanding issue making less than stellar goalies look terrific, especially guys playing their first game.

He played well but yes we also missed a number of high quality chances

Same could be said for CHI though, Kane hit the crossbar on a practically empty net

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
I forgot Greening was even in the game. I don't remember seeing him once. Was his ice time under a minute?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Saying Karlsson and Zibanejad played bad today is ridiculous. Karlsson didn't play great but he didn't play bad... lol. Defensively he wasn't beat at all relative to past games.

Karlsson was just as big a threat today as Kane, which isn't saying much but also isn't saying much bad either.

I was just trying to show my frustration with Neil most of the time. I do agree we need someone to keep the other team in check but to sacrifice so much skill away from the game(and the line he's on) is just mindboggling. I'd rather invest big time on a player like Neil who can score rather than have Neil in the line-up.

Karlsson wasn't terrible, but he wasn't good either.

Offensively he missed the net too often and defensively he is nothing more than an observer on occasion.

IMO it appears as if he is attempting to tone down the risk in his game and this is making him less effective.

PS Last night was another example of Mac's "the best players play" being supplanted by prefer the veterans regardless of play decision.

While I agree Neil has his shortcomings, he isn't making the line up decisions.

IMO if Neil was platooning with Condra on the 4th line, there wouldn't be as much criticism of his play. Problem as I see it, he is being put in a role that he can't be successful at assuming MacLean wants three lines generating some offensive.

Lastly, IMO Greening should never be dressed ahead of Stone, Lazar, or Hoffman. Not ever.

Last edited:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Neil played 9 minutes last night. I thought he made some good plays to get the puck out or get it deep.

Would have been nice to see him at least get a shot away on that odd man rush, but I find it hard to fault him there. We know who he is. As long as he is advancing the puck and making the other team think twice he's doing a good job.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Neil played 9 minutes last night. I thought he made some good plays to get the puck out or get it deep.

Would have been nice to see him at least get a shot away on that odd man rush, but I find it hard to fault him there. We know who he is. As long as he is advancing the puck and making the other team think twice he's doing a good job.

But he shouldn't be doing that simple job on the third line, if the team wants some offense created by that trio.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I agree, but he should know who he is too.

Should have either shot it or at least tried to pass it. Instead tried a move that he isn't capable of executing.

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
Can we talk about Chiasson? I thought he was great last night setting up the Michalek goal, and he's been one of our best players so far this season. I'm pleasantly surprised. How would he look on the first pairing with Turris and Mac?

Mac - Turris - Chiasson
Hoff - Zib - Ryan
Milo - Legs - Stone

Could be an interesting top 9.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Karlsson wasn't terrible, but he wasn't good either.

Offensively he missed the net too often and defensively he is nothing more than an observer on occasion.

IMO it appears as if he is attempting to tone down the risk in his game and this is making him less effective.

PS Last night was another example of Mac's "the best players play" being supplanted by prefer the veterans regardless of play decision.

While I agree Neil has his shortcomings, he isn't making the line up decisions.

IMO if Neil was platooning with Condra on the 4th line, there wouldn't be as much criticism of his play. Problem as I see it, he is being put in a role that he can't be successful at assuming MacLean wants three lines generating some offensive.

Lastly, IMO Greening should never be dressed ahead of Stone, Lazar, or Hoffman. Not ever.

I missed a good chunk of the game, but from what I saw, and the final TOI numbers, it seemed like the icetime was well distributed.

Wiercioch was having trouble with Chi's speed, and had the least toi of any D,

Greening was invisible, had the least toi of any forward.

Neil was good for Neil, but wasn't getting free veteran mins.

Ceci was great, got the 3rd most mins of any D.

Karlsson was ok, but even at just ok for his standards is going to be our best D.

Phillips was probably our best LD, so his mins reflect that.

Michalek had his strongest game in a long time, and was rewarded with some decent mins.

Legwand got what he did because he plays both the PP and the PK. I think we should role out Turris to finish off the PK more often, but I don't mind keeping him fresh for ES and PP.

Really don't see anything particularly bad; maybe give Turris a bit more mins, but with so much special teams things go out of whack a bit.

I think it's time for Cowen to come back in, provided he does not play with Karlsson. He needs to be eased in and given the chance to succeed. I really like Wiercioch, but he struggles with in zone coverage whenever a player changes direction. It's not speed he lacks, but accelaration, and because of that players can get a step on him. Cowen isn't much better in that regard, but is better at pinning the guy. Hopefully some time watching from the pressbox has done the trick and he'll react a little quicker.

Also, I think that the wrap-around issue is a coaching one. McLean needs to make the adjustment to get that weak side defender to come in tighter; we don't have the skaters to close that gap fast enough (particularly on the left side) if we have them in the high slot, which seems to be a trend.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Anderson was terrific tonight but he needs to work on his wraparounds badly. It didn't cost us the win tonight but it could bite us in the **** in the future, it's glaring weakness.

Yes, he could, but most goalies have a flaw in their games. If the wrap-around is his only noticeable flaw this year that's very easy to cover with some defensive instruction.

Ceci was phenomenal yet again. I'm mesmerized by how many times I say "what a play by Ceci" whenever he is on the ice.

He has been, without a doubt, our best defenceman this year. He's good at everything, and his decision making has improved 10x since his last year of junior.

Karlsson played well, I have no idea how people are saying he played bad. Just cause he doesn't score 2-3 points doesn't mean he was bad. He actually had one of his better showings defensively tonight. Really strong on his skates.

Blinders I guess. He lost almost every puck battle, was beaten to every puck in his own zone (or was just to lazy to try and get there first), he had at least 5 passes picked off, lost the puck multiple times trying to dangle, and was on the ice for both goals against (again).

Zibanejad showed big strides and was one of our better players.

Zibanejad had a very good game early and then trailed off late. I think it was his best game so far. Would definitely like to see more of what he brought in the first period.

I got to give a shoutout to Michalek, that guy played his best game tonight in over 2 years. He did the little things right which he usually sucks so much on.

He actually looked like he had legs tonight. Maybe he's just getting going which would be nice because the talent is there -- his legs haven't been recently. His decision making has been a lot better the last two games too.

Stone back into line-up will be good for the team, especially in place of Greening.

Would like to see both Stone and Lazar back in the line-up. Something like this:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Lazar - Chiasson
Michalek - Zibanejad - Stone
Smith - Legwand - Neil

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Can we talk about Chiasson? I thought he was great last night setting up the Michalek goal, and he's been one of our best players so far this season. I'm pleasantly surprised. How would he look on the first pairing with Turris and Mac?

Mac - Turris - Chiasson
Hoff - Zib - Ryan
Milo - Legs - Stone

Could be an interesting top 9.

He made a sick back pass in the slot for a great chance at scoring too

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Greening was horrible, the guy can out bench press anyone on the team but when the game is on he cant even hit anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca