Darling, apparently there was a hockey game tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I forgot Greening was even in the game. I don't remember seeing him once. Was his ice time under a minute?

Can we just dress up players that want the puck at all cost like lazar pageau stone hoffman

Neil condra greening mm9 are just surfing out there

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i think its unfair to question greenings heart but i think it is more that he just doesn't have the IQ to know where to be on the ice

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Out classed for large portions of the game. Just seems like there is more that EK can do but our defense really needs Methot back.

Still, kudos to this young team keeping it close and it was nice to see the team play in the 3rd, a young team is going to have tough periods. Difference is All-Star goaltending gives us a chance every night.

I like Chiasson's game and Michalek is skating really well too, can only bode well moving forward.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Probably not a good idea to include the one guy who's gone balls to the wall the last two games in Milan...

Well if you convince me that those two games make up for the numerous ghost ones hes played in the last year

Ill gladly take my words back

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Zibanejad blew his coverage twice on Toews' wraparound.

First, it was a 4 on 4, and the puck was deep in Chicago's zone. Mika's legs gave out forechecking, while allowing Toews to get behind him, creating a 3 on 2 the other way.

He skated hard to get back, but his controller turned off after he hit the Ottawa blue line. He easily could have sealed off the far post, but came to a stop in the slot covering nobody.

I'm ok with Mika getting minutes while not producing, but defensive lapses like that combined with what is turning into a significant drought ought to staple him to the bench.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Zibanejad blew his coverage twice on Toews' wraparound.

First, it was a 4 on 4, and the puck was deep in Chicago's zone. Mika's legs gave out forechecking, while allowing Toews to get behind him, creating a 3 on 2 the other way.

He skated hard to get back, but his controller turned off after he hit the Ottawa blue line. He easily could have sealed off the far post, but came to a stop in the slot covering nobody.

I'm ok with Mika getting minutes while not producing, but defensive lapses like that combined with what is turning into a significant drought ought to staple him to the bench.

Zibby is only 21 and getting 2nd line minutes for the first time in his career. Have to be patient with him and give him time still. Putting him on the bench won't teach him anything, he needs to play.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Zibby is only 21 and getting 2nd line minutes for the first time in his career. Have to be patient with him and give him time still. Putting him on the bench won't teach him anything, he needs to play.

The best players play. Nobody should be immune from a press box visit or a demotion to the bottom of the lineup if they don't contribute for an extended period of time.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He's a young player who is supposed to be our future #1C. You show patience with those players, especially when they aren't hurting your team.

He's been getting better and better, and has been good in every area except points.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Can we talk about Chiasson? I thought he was great last night setting up the Michalek goal, and he's been one of our best players so far this season. I'm pleasantly surprised. How would he look on the first pairing with Turris and Mac?

Mac - Turris - Chiasson
Hoff - Zib - Ryan
Milo - Legs - Stone

Could be an interesting top 9.

I agree and I'd love to see those lines.

Even Chiasson replaced with Stone.

Hoffman-Zib-Ryan could be great 2nd line with different elements.

Mac-Turris-Stone/Chiasson just seems like it would automatically click.

Milo-Legs-Stone/Chiasson is a very dependable 3rd line.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Most impressive thing about Chicago was how all of their D were consistently breaking up Ottawa's scoring chances like clockwork. 90% of the time it was a simple stick check/lift.

I wish the Sens D did that.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Most impressive thing about Chicago was how all of their D were consistently breaking up Ottawa's scoring chances like clockwork. 90% of the time it was a simple stick check/lift.

I wish the Sens D did that.

Keith on one pairing + Hjammer on another with great complementary pieces will do that.

Hjammer is the most underrated defender in the league. He is PHENOMENAL against toughest competition. The guy was something special to watch last night making PK's and what not look easy.

I'm hoping...

Methot-Karlsson
Claesson-Ceci

Could be near equivalent of Chicago's top 4 as soon as next year. Possibly Cowen-Karlsson too(would be dream pairing if he pans out) but that's long-shot.

Right now we literally have 2 bottom pairing defenders playing with a still inexperienced Ceci and an average Karlsson yet we're 4-2-1. Exciting stuff to look forward to.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
i said it after game one and i'll say it again: last year, we let in so many goals from the side of the net/behind the net. i am sure andy has been told to cover the short side shot hard and let the defense take care of the wraparound. just look at the game against nj. so many pucks squeezed between lehner and the post from the side of the net. other teams know that we have let in a lot of goals from there and our goalies have a hard time with pucks in their feet. zibanejad and the other defenseman (i don't think it was karlsson as i believe he was the one that was on toews originally) blew it on that play, not karlsson or andy.

like everyone else, i thought ceci was awesome, andy was great, and michalek was good.
the top line looked like the adrenaline from being put back together last game wore off and they were working towards being the beast of a line we know they can be (they were still good, but they can be even better).
i like greening - smith - condra. they were awesome late in the game. that line has been great since they were put together a few years ago.
zibanejad had his best game of the season in my opinion. he was skating hard and making things happen.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Methot-Karlsson
Claesson-Ceci

Could be near equivalent of Chicago's top 4 as soon as next year. Possibly Cowen-Karlsson too(would be dream pairing if he pans out) but that's long-shot.

Those guys have more than 2200 games of experience combined. Claesson and Ceci have played less than 60 combined. This is just ridiculous.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Bashing our captain again? God some of you make me ashamed to be a Sens fan.

Blanket comments and dramatics like this are almost as bad IMO.

One or two people with minority opinions shouldn't make you feel "ashamed". Haters gonna hate, it will never go away.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well if you convince me that those two games make up for the numerous ghost ones hes played in the last year

Ill gladly take my words back

This isn't fair. The guy may have turned a corner, especially given his great performances in the last 15 games of last season, and your opinion is essentially that he still sucks because he sucked in the past.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This isn't fair. The guy may have turned a corner, especially given his great performances in the last 15 games of last season, and your opinion is essentially that he still sucks because he sucked in the past.

HF has never truly been the place for "fair" criticism. Here's hoping Michalek can keep up the solid play and make some folks around here eat some crow.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I missed a good chunk of the game, but from what I saw, and the final TOI numbers, it seemed like the icetime was well distributed.

Wiercioch was having trouble with Chi's speed, and had the least toi of any D,

Greening was invisible, had the least toi of any forward.

Neil was good for Neil, but wasn't getting free veteran mins.

Ceci was great, got the 3rd most mins of any D.

Karlsson was ok, but even at just ok for his standards is going to be our best D.

Phillips was probably our best LD, so his mins reflect that.

Michalek had his strongest game in a long time, and was rewarded with some decent mins.

Legwand got what he did because he plays both the PP and the PK. I think we should role out Turris to finish off the PK more often, but I don't mind keeping him fresh for ES and PP.

Really don't see anything particularly bad; maybe give Turris a bit more mins, but with so much special teams things go out of whack a bit.

I think it's time for Cowen to come back in, provided he does not play with Karlsson. He needs to be eased in and given the chance to succeed. I really like Wiercioch, but he struggles with in zone coverage whenever a player changes direction. It's not speed he lacks, but accelaration, and because of that players can get a step on him. Cowen isn't much better in that regard, but is better at pinning the guy. Hopefully some time watching from the pressbox has done the trick and he'll react a little quicker.

Also, I think that the wrap-around issue is a coaching one. McLean needs to make the adjustment to get that weak side defender to come in tighter; we don't have the skaters to close that gap fast enough (particularly on the left side) if we have them in the high slot, which seems to be a trend.

I think all the D except for Ceci and Karlsson were having trouble with Chicago's speed and not just Wiercioch. Also, a reason why Wiercioch got the least minutes on D last night was because they took so many penalties and Wiercioch doesn't kill penalties.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think all the D except for Ceci and Karlsson were having trouble with Chicago's speed and not just Wiercioch. Also, a reason why Wiercioch got the least minutes on D last night was because they took so many penalties and Wiercioch doesn't kill penalties.

I think if Wiercioch wants to ever be a top 4 guy he's gotta be either fast or strong (preferably both) but so far he is neither.

BigBush*

The good news is that it seems fairly obvious why Ottawa looked so poor last night.
Stone and Lazar are impact players (more so Stone right now) and should not be healthy scratched, especially when they are getting replaced with Greening and Condra.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The good news is that it seems fairly obvious why Ottawa looked so poor last night.
Stone and Lazar are impact players (more so Stone right now) and should not be healthy scratched, especially when they are getting replaced with Greening and Condra.

We can't have Greening, Condra and Neil in the lineup at the same time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

This is fair, but I felt he struggled the most with their speed. He was fine on the rush imo, but really poor on the cycle. I want to believe he can be an everyday contributor, but this year he is getting exposed imo. He really needs to improve his foot speed.

Idk, I find myself flip-flopping on him every game, I'm probably just in my glass half empty phase.

Methot would really help right about now...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

They were playing CHicago. I agree, it was quite obvious.

Yet they managed to look pretty damn good in the third and most of the first. I don't think that the 9ish minutes Greening and Condra played are responsible for the collapse in the second. MIght Lazar and Stone done something better with those minutes? We'll never know.

Regardless they'll be in tomorrow, i think most of us will agree that its the right move.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
We can't have Greening, Condra and Neil in the lineup at the same time.

Greening looked lost out there, but I thought Condra looked decent and has whenever he's played.

That's one of the reasons Im souring on Greening. When Condra gets in he's playing his ass off like his career depends on it. I just don't see that desperation from Greening.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Just finished watching the game. Karlsson was easily the Sens best player tonight. Very good defensively.

We lost because no offense was generated. Its either a missed shot or they dont move it enough to get an open lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino