Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
10-1 I bet he barely even knew where he was at that point. Let alone who she was.

And LOL at his ex wife saying “he didn’t deserve to have his teeth knocked out by Jacques Rougeau.” :biglaugh::biglaugh::loony:

It’s like umm...he dragged a pregnant you by your hair across the floor, put a shotgun to your head, and threatened to blow your f***ing head off...all in front of your very young children. But yes...keep defending him. :help::help:

Plus wasn’t he the one (or was it Davey Boy Smith) who would wake his wife up by pointing a loaded gun at her and saying “one day it’ll be loaded..”

I’ve heard he and DBS were horrible to that bulldog mascot they had as well. :(

Yes he could wrestle, but at the end of the day the guy was a roided-up bully shitbag. Was nice to see good ol’ karma f*** him up the ass for the last 20 years of his miserable broken down life.

I have to agree. Did he deserve to specifically have his teeth knocked out, perhaps not, but did he deserve the retaliation and was worthy of whatever happened because of it? Definitely. I heard similar stories about the dog too, which is also very upsetting.

All of that is pretty inexcusable but you can't help but wonder what the impact of CTE could have been which lent to it.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Watched the Owen Hart episode last night too. Absolutely gutwrenching. :cry:

To be honest, growing up I was never really a fan of Owen’s back in the day. I never really liked the Hart Foundation and I found the Blue Blazer gimmick to be corny as hell. Plus the whole thing about how he broke Steve Austin’s neck with that botched piledriver and (IIRC) didn’t even call him to apologize afterwards.

With that said, it still blows my mind that after Owen’s tragic fall, Vince just said “the show must go on.”

Absolutely sickening. It’s no wonder Owen’s wife and kids don’t want him in the Hall Of Fame.

Reactions: Kaner9

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I found the Blue Blazer gimmick to be corny as hell.

Absolutely sickening. It’s no wonder Owen’s wife and kids don’t want him in the Hall Of Fame.

Blue Blazer was originally from the corniest days ever, so the callback to it was part of the joke. The whole Austin thing, chalk that up to the boss wanting easy/cheap heat to get him over and ignite a feud. I'd expect Owen to be the last person who would have ever come up such an idea.

Reactions: Kaner9

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Blue Blazer was originally from the corniest days ever, so the callback to it was part of the joke. The whole Austin thing, chalk that up to the boss wanting easy/cheap heat to get him over and ignite a feud. I'd expect Owen to be the last person who would have ever come up such an idea.

Yeah.

It’s a real shame Owen died so young. In an industry where 95% of guys were womanizers, drunks, junkies, or just plain nuts back then, he was the one guy who appeared to be the most...normal?? A loving family man who just wanted to do his thing, cash in whilst doing it, and then retire with family.

Reactions: Ozz

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I love Mic Foley on these.

Paraphrasing: "If you were looking for illusions he wasn't a magician. If it look like it hurt its because it probably did"

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I for one applaud Rougeau for knocking out dynamites teeth

Him fooling Dino Bravo into thinking a retaliatory hit was coming against Dynamite if Dynamite tried to get revenge was a nice wrinkle. Sucks that it traumatized Dynamites wife so much but you gotta do what you gotta do when dealing with that shithead husband of hers

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Catching up on them and holy heck the Grizzly one was so dark. I feel for all the kids. I'm glad Robin seems to be a stable and caring woman. One of my friends argued that how did Cornette enable it, but he hates him because Corny is an AEW critic.

Dynamite was heartbreaking because I've seen friends spiral downward like that. Maybe we do need a Happy Side of the Ring.

Reactions: joestevens29

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Catching up on them and holy heck the Grizzly one was so dark. I feel for all the kids. I'm glad Robin seems to be a stable and caring woman. One of my friends argued that how did Cornette enable it, but he hates him because Corny is an AEW critic.

Dynamite was heartbreaking because I've seen friends spiral downward like that. Maybe we do need a Happy Side of the Ring.

Are there enough good stories or happy endings for an entire season?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Even thouhh I haven’t followed wrestling since like 2000, this show has made me develop an immense appreciation for Corny.

The man knows so so much. :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I ended up watching a lot of youtube after the Dynamite episode, some were podcasts.

There was one with Bret and Austin where Austin wanted to know more about Dynamite. Bret was talking about how if Dynamite was around during Michaels era of backstage crap that Dynamite would've put him in his place. He was like the security of the dressing room or something as Bret put it.

Something tells me even if he didn't have that back injury he probably wouldn't have made it that long anyway. Guy just seemed like a shit disturber and a joke. At some point he would've gotten into it with someone else and would've been fired.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As for another guy that I think would be worth an episode, I'm thinking Crush.

All stemmed from Youtube and watching him and Michaels at the King of the Ring. I kind of forgot the Kona Crush time and forgot just how agile the guy was. So I watched some more on him and read some more on him and seems he would be a decent episode

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I ended up watching a lot of youtube after the Dynamite episode, some were podcasts.

There was one with Bret and Austin where Austin wanted to know more about Dynamite. Bret was talking about how if Dynamite was around during Michaels era of backstage crap that Dynamite would've put him in his place. He was like the security of the dressing room or something as Bret put it.

Something tells me even if he didn't have that back injury he probably wouldn't have made it that long anyway. Guy just seemed like a shit disturber and a joke. At some point he would've gotten into it with someone else and would've been fired.

I can't imagine Dynamite lasting anywhere for all that long regardless of his health. The older he got the more he pissed people off. Seems by pretty much all accounts to have been a miserable guy.

I liked the Dynamite episode more than most of the episodes this season... mainly because his miserable nature gives a lot of material.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Vice now doing The Dark Side of Football and the 90s. Vice, out to ruin every bit of nostalgia you have.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Vice now doing The Dark Side of Football and the 90s. Vice, out to ruin every bit of nostalgia you have.

O.J. Simpson has been covered endlessly but I'd be interested in some more Rae Carruth. I was surprised to learn not that long ago that he's out of prison.

Reactions: sabremike

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
O.J. Simpson has been covered endlessly but I'd be interested in some more Rae Carruth. I was surprised to learn not that long ago that he's out of prison.

City Confidential and Sins and Secrets already did well done episodes covering him.

Doubt that Darkside could do the same with the documentary method they adopted.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Look up the stuff about his kid born severely disabled because his mom was dead before he could be born via c section. The guy should've been tossed into a goddamned woodchipper. Seriously the feature ESPN did on that kid was heartbreaking, there is a very special place in Hell for Rae Carruth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad