Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Warrior probably shouldn’t have been such an asshole then, Dana

as far as Jake Roberts goes that’s not the first time I’ve heard him talk about losing out on a program with him. Idk if he said he was gonna get the belt before, I highly doubt that that he was gonna get it though. He was a guy that didn’t really need a belt

Reactions: Kaner9

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Warrior probably shouldn’t have been such an asshole then, Dana

as far as Jake Roberts goes that’s not the first time I’ve heard him talk about losing out on a program with him. Idk if he said he was gonna get the belt before, I highly doubt that that he was gonna get it though. He was a guy that didn’t really need a belt

I get why she would want everything to be positive as she definitely has a side to take in this, but I'd say that both shows treated Warrior as positively as anyone could hope. I'm not sure that I'd ever heard someone speak positively about him as a person before, and very rarely as a wrestler.

Reactions: CDJ

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Jake the Snake was my favorite when I was young. I knew his life was rough but man. That whole family just had so much suffering.

Reactions: joestevens29

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I haven't gotten there yet but the Grizzly Smith one is one that I was looking forward to. Not that it's going to be a barrel of laughs but I am interested in learning some of the details. I am familiar with the gist of it but this is one of the wrestling stories where the details aren't widely known already, at least as far as I'm aware.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I've been watching a few of these lately and WWE is not made out to look very good. No contracted WWE employee has been a part of it from what I've seen. So I'm wondering how are they able to use so much WWE footage?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I've been watching a few of these lately and WWE is not made out to look very good. No contracted WWE employee has been a part of it from what I've seen. So I'm wondering how are they able to use so much WWE footage?

I believe they can claim some limited fair use as a documentary.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The Grizzly Smith episode was haunting. Awful to think how one man's appalling behaviour can reverberate through so many others lives, and the lives after that. Happy that many of them were able to find peace.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope after the Grizzly episode that the kids finally get back in touch. Seems like they all want to. Maybe that's the one bright spot I took from this episode.

Other than that it was pretty sickening.

Jake said he was 65 during the show and you can see still to this day how hurt he was that his father never told him personally he was proud of him. Told others, but never Jake himself

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Was bored so I decided to watch the Brian Pillman and Grizzly Smith episodes yesterday.

Cripes....saying Grizzly Smith was a POS is a definite understatement. Seriously, f*** that guy.

Brian’s widow Melanie Pillman is trash in human form. Not to mention she looks like she’s still using or at least was a bit dopesick during half her interviews. Thank goodness for Brian’s sister Linda though, what a sweet angel of a woman.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was bored so I decided to watch the Brian Pillman and Grizzly Smith episodes yesterday.

Cripes....saying Grizzly Smith was a POS is a definite understatement. Seriously, f*** that guy.

Brian’s widow Melanie Pillman is trash in human form. Not to mention she looks like she’s still using or at least was a bit dopesick during half her interviews. Thank goodness for Brian’s sister Linda though, what a sweet angel of a woman.
I have no idea if she's still using, but I know a few people that used heavily in their day. Depending on the drug you can be clean and still look like you are messed up. A lot of those hard drugs have life lasting effects.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I remember hearing about the Grizzly Smith stuff in 'Beyond the Mat'. Jake the Snake and Mick Foley were the main focuses and Jake in particular 100% peeled back the curtain on his life. It's a tough watch, but also worthwhile

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Good season so far. Warrior episode is the only one I have not been able to find. Vice puts the first episode up and leaves the rest of us hanging. Entire season can be had for $24.99 but I try to get them for free if possible. Will probably bite the bullet and drop the cash to support the content. Dynamite Kid episode drops tonight and this is one I definitely want to see.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Just watched the Grizzly Smith episode.

I remember in Beyond the MAT, Jake mentions this his father raped his then 13 year old mother leading to his birth. And then later in Beyond the MAT, Grizzly Smith is there chopping wood or something with Jake. All these years, I assumed Grizzly wasn't his biological father because why are you associating with the rapist?

I don't know much about rape/incest but it seems like Grizzly got a pass from his children when they were adults.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I'm surprised Dynamite Kid took kindly to his daughter coming to visit him, for one thing...

10-1 I bet he barely even knew where he was at that point. Let alone who she was.

And LOL at his ex wife saying “he didn’t deserve to have his teeth knocked out by Jacques Rougeau.” :biglaugh::biglaugh::loony:

It’s like umm...he dragged a pregnant you by your hair across the floor, put a shotgun to your head, and threatened to blow your f***ing head off...all in front of your very young children. But yes...keep defending him. :help::help:

Plus wasn’t he the one (or was it Davey Boy Smith) who would wake his wife up by pointing a loaded gun at her and saying “one day it’ll be loaded..”

I’ve heard he and DBS were horrible to that bulldog mascot they had as well. :(

Yes he could wrestle, but at the end of the day the guy was a roided-up bully shitbag. Was nice to see good ol’ karma f*** him up the ass for the last 20 years of his miserable broken down life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad