Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Anybody watching this series?

I couldn't find a thread about it and felt there ought to be one.

VICE has a docu-series telling stories of some former stars; so far Macho Man/Elizabeth was on last week and The Montreal Screwjob is this week.

For some reason Bruiser Brody's episode is available on-demand, so I'm watching that one at the moment. I grew up in WWF territory and didn't know much about Brody, but I did read the indy mags and knew enough throughout the years to know he was something for sure. Over the years I'd come to know of his story and the level of respect he should have, etc. Interesting watch, and seeing old footage really makes me wish I'd been able to see him in his heyday. Same goes for other wrestlers I see archive footage of. At least I had The Berzerker in WWF and his ripoff/homage to Brody to watch - LOL.

Anyway...anybody watching? Anyone who knows "the truth" want to point out what they missed/incorrectly explained? As I understand it, there are theories about what happened Brody and why.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I almost posted a thread while watching the Macho Man episode. The Brody one was the “pilot” and was filmed like 2 years ago but for whatever reason was not aired first.

It was a good show for someone who’s a casual. They passed over a couple things like the fact Liz was married or engaged to another man and managing a boutique in Florida when some Turner exec spotted her and told her to give Bischoff a call. If one read the Observer obituaries or listened to the Prichard/Conrad podcasts there was nothing new here except Linda Hogan’s take.

I’ll give my thoughts on the Brody thing once I see the episode.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Sounds like Vice went knocking on Hogan's door to clear up some urban legends, Hogan declined.....and then Vice shrugged and pushed it forward as fact anyways. :help: :laugh:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I almost posted a thread while watching the Macho Man episode. The Brody one was the “pilot” and was filmed like 2 years ago but for whatever reason was not aired first.

It was a good show for someone who’s a casual. They passed over a couple things like the fact Liz was married or engaged to another man and managing a boutique in Florida when some Turner exec spotted her and told her to give Bischoff a call. If one read the Observer obituaries or listened to the Prichard/Conrad podcasts there was nothing new here except Linda Hogan’s take.

I’ll give my thoughts on the Brody thing once I see the episode.

I've long forgotten most of what I used to know, but the Lex timeline definitely didn't sound right. The rest of it, yeah, that was pretty much well-known by everyone. Still interesting to watch and to hear input from others, taking it all at face value.

Sounds like Vice went knocking on Hogan's door to clear up some urban legends, Hogan declined.....and then Vice shrugged and pushed it forward as fact anyways. :help: :laugh:

I'd heard that as well, and I'm not surprised to see Hulk chime in to put it down in a way :laugh: You know he'd have spun certain things anyway.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Listen brother, Macho and I had our issues, but we got real close near the end of things brother. I saw him in the doctor's office and we had the best chat. Macho confessed that deep in his heart he was always a Hulkamaniac and that he looked up to me like a big brother, brother. I warned him about his heart and to say his prayers and take his vitamins but you know Randy man, he was stubborn and just wanted to do what he wanted to do. I'm just glad that we made peace before he went up to see the big brother in the sky. I'll always cherish that last phone call where he told me that he loved me, that Elizabeth had lust in her eyes for the 24 inch pythons, and that I was his perfect friend, brother.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
A former roommate of mine was a nephew of Miss Elizabeth. I couldn't ask anything about the situation because it was only a couple years after she died and he was still too upset to talk about it, so I never asked.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'm definitely not surprised that Cornette would want that, or that his house looks like it does - complete with framed death threats.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't get to see it. Hall still trying to push all of this as work I hear?

Reactions: KIRK

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The screwjob episode was a worthwhile watch for me. The information isn't new (Bret changes his story somewhat and the "architect" is new I guess) but still interesting to hear them discuss it. There's a lot of crap to get through given that you have an idiot and several obvious liars (or exaggerators) telling the story. Not surprising that four of the seven talking heads have their own podcasts. I found it amusing that the people making the documentary were seduced into devoting some time to the Cornette - Russo feud even though it's largely unrelated to the topic.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Cornette admitted it was his idea but the way he made it sound it's not something he really wanted to do as he had a pretty big respect for Bret. And it really is a joy to listen to Corny here. Reminds you the guy knows the business

It is kinda funny tho how his master plan of "oh well Bret will never expose the business!' because of how much respect he had for it/his family heritage blew up in his face.

Really well put together series.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Prichard is the liar. He kept saying it was Brett’s last night but it technically wasn’t, and he omits that Brett offered a number of alternatives to dropping the belt to Shawn in Montreal.

It wasn’t just him dropping the belt and leaving or GTFO

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad