Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Very sad stories there. But there are for sure many others that could be made.

Lex Luger
Chyna
Eddie Guerrero
Mr. Perfect
Owen Hart
John "Earthquake" Tenta
Yokozuna
British Bulldog
Ludwig Borga
Giant Gonzales

and this list go on.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Very sad stories there. But there are for sure many others that could be made.

Lex Luger
Chyna
Eddie Guerrero
Mr. Perfect
Owen Hart
John "Earthquake" Tenta
Yokozuna
British Bulldog
Ludwig Borga
Giant Gonzales

and this list go on.
Isn't Luger alive?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Catching up now and I'd like to say Jim Cornette is a national treasure. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea and I disagree with him on a couple things, but my god he's such a wealth of knowledge. I love the guy and could listen to him for hours.

My non-wrestling fan friends who are watching this have fallen in love with Cornette

Reactions: IceColdOx

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Cornette is great...his back and forth with Russo about the Screwjob was awesome.

'The Wrestlers' have been good so far. A little dated on the footage but the stories hold true. What a great roster they had in Evolve for the first episode. The second one is a lot about MVP and some MLW stuff.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cornette is great...his back and forth with Russo about the Screwjob was awesome.

'The Wrestlers' have been good so far. A little dated on the footage but the stories hold true. What a great roster they had in Evolve for the first episode. The second one is a lot about MVP and some MLW stuff.

The screwjob was a perfect first season not horrifying insider story. Without it’s all depressing. Non-wrestling fans know who Bret and Shawn are, and the pure carnie nature of it is entertaining.

They need to do some WCW stories and any one of Hogan’s bullshit.

A story on Honky Tonk Man and how he engineering his title run would be great too. Stories about these guys politicking is great.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I was fully into the (re)learning about Screwjob. I'm still re-watching WWF/WCW/ECW from the '97. I just re-watched Survivor Series in the last couple weeks. I watched that Dark of the Ring and listened to Bruce and Conrad's podcast about it.

It's a fairly simple story but it makes sense. I don't think there's much more to the story than Bret didn't want to drop the belt when he asked to on his way out and Vince took action and it resulted in a nasty split with Bret and the company.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's a fairly simple story but it makes sense. I don't think there's much more to the story than Bret didn't want to drop the belt when he asked to on his way out and Vince took action and it resulted in a nasty split with Bret and the company.

I think it's more that Bret didn't want to drop it to a certain person in a certain way on his way out.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Good to see Corny getting his tires pumped here.
Even when I don't agree with him, I can often still see where he's coming from and how he's arrived at said opinion.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I want a fall of WCW episode and I want a fall of TNA episode. WWE’s version is too bias. They still claim the tank was a big deal when it wasn’t.

Or combine them into a Russo episode since he was a key player in both stories.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I want a fall of WCW episode and I want a fall of TNA episode. WWE’s version is too bias. They still claim the tank was a big deal when it wasn’t.

A fall of WCW episode, without the WWE lens, would be very good. A Russo episode, depending on who the talking heads were, could be gold.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A fall of WCW episode, without the WWE lens, would be very good. A Russo episode, depending on who the talking heads were, could be gold.

There was just so much bollocks going on in and out of the ring at the end of WCW. All the on the pole matches. 20 something world title changes in a year. All the triple cage matches. Finger poke of doom. Jeff laying down for Hogan and the two shoot promos that followed.

Make that one a two parter.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The problem with the death of WCW story is that there's not really a human story there to sell to non-fans, which is what you really want. It all just boils down to WCW were terrible at making a show, and then the company died. Which isn't surprising or interesting alone.

There's a lot of crazy going on, but it's basically all people being bad at their jobs.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
They could have been paying no talent whatsoever and they still would have lost money iirc, they were spending so much on production and whatnot.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The problem with the death of WCW story is that there's not really a human story there to sell to non-fans, which is what you really want. It all just boils down to WCW were terrible at making a show, and then the company died. Which isn't surprising or interesting alone.

There's a lot of crazy going on, but it's basically all people being bad at their jobs.

Making it a Russo story might solve that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They could have been paying no talent whatsoever and they still would have lost money iirc, they were spending so much on production and whatnot.

Halloween Havoc 94 is hilarious with the amount of money they spent on that stupid monster truck match. Custom trucks, helicopter shots, pyro.

WCW is amazing.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Halloween Havoc 94 is hilarious with the amount of money they spent on that stupid monster truck match. Custom trucks, helicopter shots, pyro.

WCW is amazing.

Jim Herd era WCW with Big Josh, the York Foundation and turning Ricky Morton heel was so wonderfully awful.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

They'd have to do an entire season on Russo to truly do it justice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad