Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
I’m still unhappy that these aren’t available in Canada.
I've been watching them on YouTube. $2.99CAD to own it from then on is fine with me.
Last night I also found the Brody episode on YouTube in full for free. Just gotta dig.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I found the Savage one and watching it now.

I’m heartbroken that Randy and Elizabeth couldn’t be here to talk for this.

Lol at Randy making the snake bite Jake first.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
even being somewhat familiar with their story, it was "so how could this get much worse?" Then they would go into detail. By the time they got to the third brother, I was like I knew it was bad but damn.

So how did you find a way to watch it? I no longer have Viceland in my cable package, so I had to freepass it and then swap laptops so I could watch the Macho Man/Elizabeth one.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
The Gino Hernandez one was interesting. Another name I had heard but with whose story I was unfamiliar...

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
In WCW he was Gentleman Chris Adams. He trained Austin, they feuded, Austin ended up with his wife. Oh hell yeah.

Yep. Back in the day, the Von Erichs versus him and Gino Hernandez was huge.

The show on Hernandez was pretty sad.

I guess the new one on Moolah is tonight. From what I understand, the crap one should expect to hear about her tonight actually was true.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
after the "Dark side of Wrestling" series is over' Viceland will release a bunch more wrestling stuff:

“The Best New Talent in America” (may 22), with promoter Gabe Sapolsky.
“The Changing Face of Wrestling” (may 29)
“Japan’s Finest Wrestlers” (june 5)
“Death Match” (june 12)
“Powerful Women of Wrestling” (19 juin) wrestlers from Florida and Bolivia using the sport for "gender equality"
“The Next Wave of Mexican Luchadores” ( 19 june),
“The Craziest Wrestling in Japan” (26 june), DDT wrestling.
“Wrestling on Canada’s Reserves” (26 june), natives north of Quebec.
“Voodoo Wrestling in the Congo” (3 july)
“Body Slamming Homophobia in Mexico” (also 3 juillet), the Exoticos from mexico.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Im enjoying these. I had heard of Hernandez before but everything in that episode was new to me.

I mostly knew him for being called "The Handsome Halfbreed" and a few promos on youtube. It's an interesting one. Definitely seems like one of the "live the gimmick" guys.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
after the "Dark side of Wrestling" series is over' Viceland will release a bunch more wrestling stuff:

“The Best New Talent in America” (may 22), with promoter Gabe Sapolsky.
“The Changing Face of Wrestling” (may 29)
“Japan’s Finest Wrestlers” (june 5)
“Death Match” (june 12)
“Powerful Women of Wrestling” (19 juin) wrestlers from Florida and Bolivia using the sport for "gender equality"
“The Next Wave of Mexican Luchadores” ( 19 june),
“The Craziest Wrestling in Japan” (26 june), DDT wrestling.
“Wrestling on Canada’s Reserves” (26 june), natives north of Quebec.
“Voodoo Wrestling in the Congo” (3 july)
“Body Slamming Homophobia in Mexico” (also 3 juillet), the Exoticos from mexico.

So I think these are all the ones Damian Abraham was involved with and has been talking about for a long time, called “The Wrestlers.” We’re supposed to see some people WWE has picked up since they were made.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I kinda i'm looking forward to the Von Erichs episode.

That family is such a compelling, albeit incredibly tragic story.

The only thing that bugged me about that issue is that I felt in its attempt to elevate the Von Erichs, it whitewashed them at times.

I also had to laugh when Meltzer talked about Kerry going up to WWF and losing his identity and Von Erich being erased.

And that’s just flat out false. While Texas Tornado was certainly pushed on merchandise, not unlike Stone Cold vs. Steve Austin, his Von Erich lineage was regularly mentioned on tv - including by Vince. Heck his t-shirt even featured his “signature” right on the front. There was never a mystery there.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The only thing that bugged me about that issue is that I felt in its attempt to elevate the Von Erichs, it whitewashed them at times.

Yeah there was more material there. Sounds like they ran pretty wild in the Dallas area and Fritz generally got them out of it every time. I guess though that if they wanted Kevin they needed to keep things in a certain light, and Kevin certainly did his share to make it a worthwhile watch.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah there was more material there. Sounds like they ran pretty wild in the Dallas area and Fritz generally got them out of it every time. I guess though that if they wanted Kevin they needed to keep things in a certain light, and Kevin certainly did his share to make it a worthwhile watch.

I was a little kid during their peak, but man those guys were huge in Dallas.

It’s so hard to explain the culture of the territory days, and I only experienced the last decade of them.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I waited to tape all of these prior to watching and only have Hernandez and Brody left.

Very good overall but was really disappointed by the Von Erich episode. You're never going to get the full story.

Which could have easily been split into a two-part episode.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’m still unhappy that these aren’t available in Canada.
I was able to watch "The last of the Von Erich's" directly from the website yesterday. All the others I received an error saying not available in your location.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Holy sh*t Gino Hernandez was a talent. Wow.

I don't think I'd ever heard of him.... which is odd. I guess him being murdered or overdosing before I was born doesn't help.

It felt like an episode of American Justice with Bill Kurtis at times more than a wrestling documentary. That was a great watch. Sad story, mind you.

If Jake Roberts says someone is running with a dangerous crowd, you know it's bad.

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
I found the Savage one and watching it now.

I’m heartbroken that Randy and Elizabeth couldn’t be here to talk for this.

Lol at Randy making the snake bite Jake first.
Jake’s Macho Man imitation killed me dead :laugh:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Can anybody NOT do a good Macho Man impression? On a side note, I caught Pritchard on a preview for another show (Beyond The Ring? I can't find anything about it but it was advertised on Viceland) and his Vince impression is dead-on. That's another easy one to do, but damn he was perfect.

It's crazy (though I suppose not too surprising) that Moolah "got away with" doing what she did forever, and no one in the biz cared enough to care. Also not surprising that now, once it finally came out, everyone is "shocked" and acting accordingly. Insane to think that she was in her 60s in the 80s when I was watching her here and there. More insane what she and Mae Young did in the Attitude Era at their ages then.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Hernandez was still very early in his rise when he died. It's tough to say where he would have ended up in the business. He certainly would have gotten a good shot in late 80's early 90's WCW in that strong midcard with guys like Austin, Pillman, Regal, Bobby Eaton, Terry Taylor, etc. In WWF, I don't think he'd get past being some goofy character jobber like Sal Sincere or Dean Douglas.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Can anybody NOT do a good Macho Man impression? On a side note, I caught Pritchard on a preview for another show (Beyond The Ring? I can't find anything about it but it was advertised on Viceland) and his Vince impression is dead-on. That's another easy one to do, but damn he was perfect.

It's crazy (though I suppose not too surprising) that Moolah "got away with" doing what she did forever, and no one in the biz cared enough to care. Also not surprising that now, once it finally came out, everyone is "shocked" and acting accordingly. Insane to think that she was in her 60s in the 80s when I was watching her here and there. More insane what she and Mae Young did in the Attitude Era at their ages then.

Listening to Bubba Ray describe how Mae demanded that he put her through the table. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->