Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think it was more a case Bret Didn't want to drop it in Canada more so then losing to HBK

Both I believe, at least according to the credible reports. Prichard would tell us that Bret just didn't want to drop it EVEN THOUGH IT'S HIS LAST DAY!!!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Both I believe, at least according to the credible reports. Prichard would tell us that Bret just didn't want to drop it EVEN THOUGH IT'S HIS LAST DAY!!!

Technically it wasn't his last day he still had a lil over a month left on his deal. Vince basically was scared that Eric Bischoff would blurt on Nitro how he just signed Bret Hart the next night. One of the stories that was going around was that Bret would lose it on the December PPV but Vince basically felt like if Bischoff let it out that Bret was leaving it would ruin that PPV

Reactions: GarbageGoal

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Technically it wasn't his last day he still had a lil over a month left on his deal. Vince basically was scared that Eric Bischoff would blurt on Nitro how he just signed Bret Hart the next night. One of the stories that was going around was that Bret would lose it on the December PPV but Vince basically felt like if Bischoff let it out that Bret was leaving it would ruin that PPV

I know. I don't take Prichard's comments seriously, especially when they pertain to someone who could maybe give him a paycheck down the road.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If I recall, Bret said he'd drop the title outside of Canada to Shawn.

Bruce of course always takes the Vince position.

Reactions: KIRK

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The main credible position, at least put forward by people with some believability, is that Hart was willing to drop the belt to Michaels - but not in Canada. That doesn't fit with WWE's "Bret screwed Bret" angle so it seems to fade from memory over time. It's the same as WWE's claim that Bret might show up in WCW with the title - it makes WWF's actions seem reasonable, but there is no basis in reality. It's the same with Bret's "reasonable creative control" clause that WWE will not speak of.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The thing that has always gotten me is that Vince breached Bret's contract, straight up, well before all that. Said he wasn't going to pay it. I don't think simply "giving permission to negotiate with WCW" would ever have absolved Vince of that in a court room.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
That, and then Shawn said he wouldn’t do the job for Bret so Bret said “alright, I’ll lose the title to anyone not named Shawn.”

That's one part of the story that's changed on Bret's end over time, and I'm not sure when it did.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Bret was bitter over the “I lost my smile” shit. He thought Shawn was ducking him from paying back his jobbing at Mania 13.

I don’t know how consistent he has been with that part of the story though

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Bret was bitter over the “I lost my smile” ****. He thought Shawn was ducking him from paying back his jobbing at Mania 13.

I don’t know how consistent he has been with that part of the story though

Cornette has talked about Shawn saying it, and his memory is pretty solid. I'm not sure that he heard Michaels say it directly but he has mentioned it as though it were common knowledge at the time. It almost seems too stupid for someone to actually say that so needlessly... but I can imagine 90s Michaels saying it.

Michaels also refused to put over British Bulldog when he had been supposed to, I'm sure adding to Bret's list of issues.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
That's one part of the story that's changed on Bret's end over time, and I'm not sure when it did.

I don’t know that it necessarily changed, though it was certainly not covered in “Wrestling with Shadows”. Going back to 1997, the Wrestling Obserever reported about a letter to the WWF drafted by Hart’s lawyer detailing everyone he would be willing to drop the title to - a list that included Austin, Shamrock, and even the Brooklyn Brawler.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Apparently there will be episodes detailing each of Chris Benoit's death, Dino Bravo's death, and Jimmy Snuka's murder of Nancy Argentino.

I'm curious about how they're gonna do this one. 25 years later, there's no new information about this case and all of the info that's out there is the same stuff that has been repeated by everyone.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think there was more done, they were seeing how the first run went. They’ve been doing re-airings on Viceland recently.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm curious about how they're gonna do this one. 25 years later, there's no new information about this case and all of the info that's out there is the same stuff that has been repeated by everyone.

That's pretty much the same thing with several of the stories they've done. I don't think that most of the target market, from casual wrestling fans to people who aren't wrestling fans at all, will know anything at all about Dino Bravo.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

While there is alot of stuff out there viceland will just take all of that and make an interesting 1 hour documentary on it. I am guessing the bulk of fans know bits and pieces of the story but will most likely find out a couple new pieces of information. For people that don't pay that much attention of wrestling before 1995 it will be alot of new material

I don't see how it will be much different then say the death of Bruiser Brody, which most of the information for that was already out there

Reactions: iamjs

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There are rumours that the series will have an episode on wrestling's greatest tragedy, the Brawl For All.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Vice also teased a picture clearly showing that they're going to be doing an episode on the Mass Transit/New Jack incident. Lots of interesting people they can interview for that one, especially if New Jack agrees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad