Dark Side of the Ring - Viceland show

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There are rumours that the series will have an episode on wrestling's greatest tragedy, the Brawl For All.

Vice also teased a picture clearly showing that they're going to be doing an episode on the Mass Transit/New Jack incident. Lots of interesting people they can interview for that one, especially if New Jack agrees.

Nice. But can you tell us, The Notfamiliar, something more?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice. But can you tell us, The Notfamiliar, something more?

Brawl For All was when WWF ran a legitimate fighting competition in 1998 that was hated by fans, led to various injuries, and ended up embarrassing the company when the winner went on to face Butterbean. The planned winner also ended up not winning, which you'd think that WWF could have had a way around...

The Mass Transit incident was a situation in ECW when a guy who was under 18 lied about his age and wrestling experience (called himself Mass Transit as a fat bus driver gimmick) and had a match that featured New Jack. He let New Jack cut his forehead, but New Jack is insane and cut him too deeply. New Jack then beat him some more, there was some screaming, and New Jack got on the microphone to give a typical New Jack promo.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Brawl For All was when WWF ran a legitimate fighting competition in 1998 that was hated by fans, led to various injuries, and ended up embarrassing the company when the winner went on to face Butterbean. The planned winner also ended up not winning, which you'd think that WWF could have had a way around...

The Mass Transit incident was a situation in ECW when a guy who was under 18 lied about his age and wrestling experience (called himself Mass Transit as a fat bus driver gimmick) and had a match that featured New Jack. He let New Jack cut his forehead, but New Jack is insane and cut him too deeply. New Jack then beat him some more, there was some screaming, and New Jack got on the microphone to give a typical New Jack promo.
The Brawl 4 All theme is still stuck in my head.

When did WWE announce the Butterbean match? I'm sure they weren't expecting to feed planned winner Dr. Death to Butterbean. I think I remember hearing they wanted Bart Gunn to lose to Butterbean to avoid a push. Hard to have Bart Gunn known for being legit tough guy when he was a charisma vacuum. Having him lose to Butterbean rather than giving him a push was the right call. Though the best thing would be for them to fix the fights, but who would believe that??

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Brawl 4 All theme is still stuck in my head.

When did WWE announce the Butterbean match? I'm sure they weren't expecting to feed planned winner Dr. Death to Butterbean. I think I remember hearing they wanted Bart Gunn to lose to Butterbean to avoid a push. Hard to have Bart Gunn known for being legit tough guy when he was a charisma vacuum. Having him lose to Butterbean rather than giving him a push was the right call. Though the best thing would be for them to fix the fights, but who would believe that??

I think it was announcer after the tournament, or at least after Bang Bang Bart beat Dr. Death. Say what you will but the man's left hand was over in Japan when he left WWF.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hard to have Bart Gunn known for being legit tough guy when he was a charisma vacuum.

I know the WWF(/e) started to phase out managers around this point but charisma vacuums is what managers were for.

Personally I am surprised that places like Impact Wrestling or AEW don't bring back managers, it would be one way they can make themselves different then the WWe

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Personally I am surprised that places like Impact Wrestling or AEW don't bring back managers, it would be one way they can make themselves different then the WWe

AEW is, kinda, they have Tully Blanchard with Shawn Spears (Ty Dillinger)

And I guess you can say Brandi's more of a manger of whatever that stable is she's running.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I never bought the theory that Bart was put against Butterbean as some kind of punishment. If they wanted to punish him on their biggest show of the year, they'd just book him to lose in seconds against whoever the boring Sheamus of the roster was back then. Even Vince wouldn't send someone out there to get legitimately physically harmed or something as silly as winning a tournament someone else was supposed to. I think they just fooled themselves into believing that Bart's Brawl For All success meant he could go against an actual boxer, which of course turned out to be a big mistake.

Ken Shamrock almost certainly would have won the BFA had he entered; but he had put a lot of effort in getting the other wrestlers to trust that he would never shoot on them in the ring, and he thought entering the competition would betray that.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
I never bought the theory that Bart was put against Butterbean as some kind of punishment. If they wanted to punish him on their biggest show of the year, they'd just book him to lose in seconds against whoever the boring Sheamus of the roster was back then. Even Vince wouldn't send someone out there to get legitimately physically harmed or something as silly as winning a tournament someone else was supposed to. I think they just fooled themselves into believing that Bart's Brawl For All success meant he could go against an actual boxer, which of course turned out to be a big mistake.

Ken Shamrock almost certainly would have won the BFA had he entered; but he had put a lot of effort in getting the other wrestlers to trust that he would never shoot on them in the ring, and he thought entering the competition would betray that.
I don't know. WWE doing foolish things isn't unheard of. And if they thought Bart Gunn had a legit shot against a legit tough man or boxers, they were being brainless.

I think it's very telling that the "prize" of facing Butterbean was a clear scramble and make em up. Maybe it wasn't to outright punish Bart but they certainly did him no favors. If they had any faith in him they would have pushed him as they intended to with Williams (albeit probably not to the same degree). At best the WWE was indifferent regarding Bart winning the tournament and facing Butterbean.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The new seasons starts up on the 24th with the Benoit episode. Vice released the first part on youtube already however. Below is a promo video for the upcoming episodes:

Topics are in the picture. I didn't know that they were doing Schultz, but I'm looking forward to seeing the man talk.

Reactions: Kaner9

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Once I realized they were actually fighting for real, I watched the brawl for all religiously. I was a huge UFC fan from UFC 1 on and a boxing fan and I after a single brawl for all. I went from "WTF is this?" to "oh jeez, they are actually teeing off on each other."

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I was hoping for new info in the screwjob episode. but everything was a carbon copy of what the same people have been saying for years.

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
I was hoping for new info in the screwjob episode. but everything was a carbon copy of what the same people have been saying for years.
It was definitely a strange choice to cover it. It's been covered so much. That said, I still found the episode enjoyable. Interviews were good.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I mentioned it already, but Lex Luger story could be interesting. I know, he is still alive (is he?), but still...

And Yokozuna?
Lex was as bland and vanilla as a wrestler comes and his personal life wasn't much better outside of what happened with him and Liz. He used roids, but a very minor amount.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Vice also teased a picture clearly showing that they're going to be doing an episode on the Mass Transit/New Jack incident. Lots of interesting people they can interview for that one, especially if New Jack agrees.
Here's the amazing thing about New Jack: that incident might not even be one of the 5 most heinous things the guy has done in a match (at least 3 attempted murders: Vic Grimes (XPW), Gypsy Joe and the guy in Florida he literally stabbed over a dozen times.). Then there was him viciously pummeling some kids he felt were stealing his gimmick, crushing some kid with a chairshot connecting with the side of the chair and crushing the kid's skull to where brain fluid was leaking out of him, shoot attempting to hang DW Dudley (welp, there's attempted murder #4) and delivering a shoot beating to Chad Austin that pretty much ended his career.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Here's the amazing thing about New Jack: that incident might not even be one of the 5 most heinous things the guy has done in a match (at least 3 attempted murders: Vic Grimes (XPW), Gypsy Joe and the guy in Florida he literally stabbed over a dozen times.). Then there was him viciously pummeling some kids he felt were stealing his gimmick, crushing some kid with a chairshot connecting with the side of the chair and crushing the kid's skull to where brain fluid was leaking out of him, shoot attempting to hang DW Dudley (welp, there's attempted murder #4) and delivering a shoot beating to Chad Austin that pretty much ended his career.

Ddamn the man is cold. Makes me want to see it and what his crazy ass says. :thumbu:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Im sorry. I love New Jack. He was the truth.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Im sorry. I love New Jack. He was the truth.

No wonder. The only man in wrestling who makes you seem sane by comparison.

CVS8Lr.gif

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The Benoit episode was really well done, and seeing David and Sandra re-unite was something else. I knew most of Jericho's anecdotes from his books and past comments, but some of Vicki Guerrero's were stunning. The part about Benoit going to her house to hold Eddie's pillow and cry in their bed...jesus.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I normally avoid reading the comments section on YouTube but I was watching a review of the Benoit episode on there the other day and got reading some.

I was shocked at how many people think Benoit was innocent and that someone else killed him and his family. Just ridiculous how some people can't deal with reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->