TBN: Darcy on possible changes: 'It won't be the coach'

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Looks like its time for the GM to go too. Darcy has decided he won't abandon his sinking ship. Foolish. You have to take the emotion out of it, but that has always been Darcy's problem.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I remember reading in the mid to late 70s, someone paid to have a plane drag a streamer over the Vet in Philly a message that said "15 year of lousy football...We've Had Enough." And the fans started chanting it. Granted, the Eagles lost that game, but apparently the higher-ups were listening and gradually the team began to improve.

So don't tell me that something akin to what I proposed can't work. Because it HAS.

If Pegs and the hockey minds he has around him either can't or won't listen to their fanbase, then there truly is no hope and we'll be stuck in Hockey Limbo forever. I truly believe that he wants to get the team to a point where they can win a Cup. It's just not going to be with Ruff and Regier. He's had 2 years and change to see how they work. I think that's enough time to come to a decision.

I think Reiger will eventually vindicate himself when the youthful moves (drafts/trades) he's made in the Pegula area get 2+ years older. Whether Ruff can do his part, and lead the team to the Cup, remains to be seen. IMO, Regeir has the future in the right direction.

My main compliant right now with Regeir was the one issue he had to address over the summer/before the season started, was a 2/3 center, nothing fancy, just a decent center, 10-20 goals, tough to play against, center...

We disected the need all summer, and he brought no one in. EPIC FAIL.

Over all he's got the team in the right direction but within the week he needs to make right with the center situation because it's killing us, as we all knew it would.

On Ruff, I'm not sure he's the guy any longer but there have been many a time he's been a great coach here in Buffalo. It just looks like he's lost his mojo, he's just doesn't seem to have as much fire in him. Choice really needs to be addressed in a year or two when the youngins are ready.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
PATHETIC.

WE DON'T WANT A QUICK FIX.

WE DON'T WANT TO SELL FUTURE ASSETS TO IMPROVE THIS CURRENT ROSTER.

We want to continue to stockpile and add for the future; AND GET A COACH WHO CAN WORK WITH PLAYERS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF EACH OF THEM. RUFF CAN'T.

Darcy, please don't be a ****ing idiot ****tard spanootch-licking *******. Swing off of Ruff's penis and into reality. The coach is failing to maximize talents of this group - what will he do when we've got a roster in three years that could have a great combination of talented vets in TV, Poms, and Otter, younger guys who would be entering their prime in Ennis, Myers, Foligno and Sekera, plus youth with potential to make an impact in Grigs, Armia, Girgensons, Pysyk, McNabb, McCabe, possibly Cat....

Holy ****. Realize what direction you want to head in. Don't go for a quick fix. Go for a long term fix.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE

I consider JBuds to be VERY level-headed, and when he's this adamant about something...you know it's time.

**** Darcy, he can go too then.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I consider JBuds to be VERY level-headed, and when he's this adamant about something...you know it's time.

**** Darcy, he can go too then.

Considering that I was in support of Ruff as late as last season...yeah...it's time for a change.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I remember reading in the mid to late 70s, someone paid to have a plane drag a streamer over the Vet in Philly a message that said "15 year of lousy football...We've Had Enough." And the fans started chanting it. Granted, the Eagles lost that game, but apparently the higher-ups were listening and gradually the team began to improve.

So don't tell me that something akin to what I proposed can't work. Because it HAS.

Wait... having a plane banner fly over the stadium affected the team's bottom line?

Oh whoever said something about the 1980s Bills.. care to fill me in on the details?

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

If Pegs and the hockey minds he has around him either can't or won't listen to their fanbase, then there truly is no hope and we'll be stuck in Hockey Limbo forever. I truly believe that he wants to get the team to a point where they can win a Cup. It's just not going to be with Ruff and Regier. He's had 2 years and change to see how they work. I think that's enough time to come to a decision.

Let me guess, you were one of those fans at the start of year on board with the boycott idea, where you wouldn't buy tickets or go to games to make a statement that the fans need to be treated better. You saw the amount of fans that showed up for the intersquad game, you saw how fast the tickets sold for this season, and how many fans showed up for the training camp sale. The fact of the matter is, that whole boycott idea is always going to be a mino trying to swim against the current. There's just too many passionate fans that show up and cheer regardless of the circumstances. Your idea of not buying merchandise as a means to get the coach fired just won't work, plain and simple.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
50% of the forward roster is different than last year. You got rid of two LARGE pieces of the core in the last calendar year.

What the **** else is there to change at this point?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
50% of the forward roster is different than last year. You got rid of two LARGE pieces of the core in the last calendar year.

Logo!

Seriously though, there really is not much else. A fire sale won't improve anything in the near future. A few player moves aren't going to make everything better, they've already been doing that.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Once we get Leino, Sekera, Ehrhoff, and Regehr back we'll be fine. Haven't you heard? Healthy changes everything :sarcasm:

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I think if everyone wants to get Lindy fired you have to start a chant at the arena like Toronto did.....

If every game fans are chanting "FIRE RUFF FIRE RUFF FIRE RUFF" , then something will happen....Either he will get fired, or management will have to have some kind of response...It will be ridiculous if they didn't if every game most of the fans were doing the FIRE RUFF chant....

don't be passive....BE AGGRESSIVE !!!

You pay for those expensive seats....Now go out and use them !

Agreed. But, remember, this is the First Niagara Library we're talking about. That might screw up their voices. :sarcasm:

I'd gladly import the crowds from Erie(the Otters), Niagara(the IceDogs on the Canadian side, Niagara University on the U.S. size)and Rochester(the Amerks)to show the Sabre fans how to be passionate.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
It sounds like he just means for this weekend. Maybe a trade will come sooner than we thought.

But man am I sick of hearing:

The trade market is soft

We're banged up

We've got to play better.

Thanks for the revelation Darcy.

The excuses Darcy makes for sitting on his hands (anywhere but trade deadline or summer), are NOT unique to the Sabres.

EVERY team faces similar problems, yet many make adjustments when they are faced with ongoing problems that may prevent them from contending.

Maybe it's really Darcy that needs to go.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
OH MY GOD THIS IS SUCH A SHOCK.

Ahem. Joking aside now.

Darcy isn't going to fire Ruff and Pegula isn't going to fire Darcy. Maybe if we don't make the playoffs he'll be under pressure but until fans start voting with their money this is going to be an uphill battle.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Agreed. But, remember, this is the First Niagara Library we're talking about. That might screw up their voices. :sarcasm:

I'd gladly import the crowds from Erie(the Otters), Niagara(the IceDogs on the Canadian side, Niagara University on the U.S. size)and Rochester(the Amerks)to show the Sabre fans how to be passionate.

So we all agree that this team is mediocre, has been stagnant for years now and the fans see little hope of getting rid of the main problem which is the coach and/or GM.

I can't figure out why the fans aren't passionate????

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

correlation_greece_facebook.png

Correlation does not imply causation.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Is 30 more games under Ruff enough to break Grigorenko? Finish breaking Foligno to a point of no return?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
correlation_greece_facebook.png

Correlation does not imply causation.

To claim that it has occurred is obviously a bit strong, but to suggest that an NHL franchise (whose revenue is much more fan-based than the NFL/MLB) would consider the attitude of its key consumers is hardly far-fetched. It's the whole reason PR departments exist.

werpudel

Sep 21, 2011
I'm really looking forward to seeing the players making push-ups unasked tonight after every lost face-off, because lindy drilled it into them yesterday.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
To claim that it has occurred is obviously a bit strong, but to suggest that an NHL franchise (whose revenue is much more fan-based than the NFL/MLB) would consider the attitude of its key consumers is hardly far-fetched. It's the whole reason PR departments exist.

I never said or implied that it wasn't a consideration. However, saying that someone flying a banner over a football stadium was the reason the Eagles got good again is, frankly, nonsense.

The Buffalo Sabres have a 3,000 person season ticket waiting list. They just sold more merchandise in a week than they did all of last year. (Albiet at a huge discount, but still.) Just about every game is sold to capacity. Their key consumers, ie, the people that are spending money, ARE spending money. Lots of it. Frequently.

A small segment of self proclaimed experts pissing and moaning about the state of things isn't going to do jack when the building is full every night.

There are only two incentives to change.
1. Ownership isn't satisfied with the performance.
2. Fan support drops off.

We'll just have to see what happens first.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Ok, Regier was asked a predictable question, and he provided a predictable answer. Two things he was not going to say were:

1."If the Sabres do not win their next three games, we are going to fire coach Ruff."

2. "I was going to save this news until the deal is finalized, but we just agreed on a trade with the Penguins. We will be receiving Malkin in exchange for a conditional 5th round pick in next year's draft."

What did some of you realistically expect him to say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad