TBN: Darcy on possible changes: 'It won't be the coach'

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If you're thinking about a particular move to provide a quick fix for the slumping Sabres -- specifically the firing of coach Lindy Ruff -- you better think again.

I spoke earlier this evening to General Manager Darcy Regier and asked him the following question: If things go poorly this weekend, how much will you be forced into big change, whether it's players or the coach?

Regier's answer: "It won't be the coach."

Regier said he's been pondering the trade market but it remains "soft" (there have basically been no big deals yet). He said there's a few moves the team can make with players from Rochester but that it's mostly on this group of players to a) get healthy and b) play up to its capabilities.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/02/darcy-on-possible-changes-it-wont-be-the-coach.html

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Uh, I think he's just referring to "this weekend". AKA don't expect a quick fix.

Naturally, the majority here will take this as "Lindy will never be fired".

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Uh, I think he's just referring to "this weekend". AKA don't expect a quick fix.

Naturally, the majority here will take this as "Lindy will never be fired".

So you know that this is what Darcy is thinking?

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
It sounds like he just means for this weekend. Maybe a trade will come sooner than we thought.

But man am I sick of hearing:

The trade market is soft

We're banged up

We've got to play better.

Thanks for the revelation Darcy.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
This is just classic Sabres I guess. When will the madness END?>!!!!!!?!?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Darcy Regier is officially insane IMO. He says Ruff's specially is defense, we have not been a good defensive teams since 2009 IMO. If thats the case then what is wrong?

They were 17th in GAA in 2010, 18th in 2011, and now 30th. How long does Lindy have to fix the defense? And IMO those numbers in 2010 and 2011should be worse with the sloppy odd man rushes they gave up.

I honestly cant believe this. I just think Regier has the same views on how to play and coach hockey as Ruff does. These two are ignorant, and they both need to go.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
While a quick fix option may not be good.... the change coach option...seems like it may be realistic-er now... I mean the RRR (Regier Ruff Reich)... It seemed like Darcy was just saying for now.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Ah yes. Injuries and better defensive play are excuses yet again. Who cares about how many goals the team has scored, it's basically been all 1 line.

Because Lindy has shown you Mr Regier how many times he could correct things and salvage a season with a trip to the playoffs?

It's time to put some pressure on everyone. He seems so happy he has Lindy to turn this around. But we know... It won't get turned around.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
While a quick fix option may not be good.... the change coach option...seems like it may be realistic-er now... I mean the RRR (Regier Ruff Reich)... It seemed like Darcy was just saying for now.

We have nearly 16 years of this talk. He believes Ruff's system is the way to go, so why change it. Thats basically why Ruff has never been in trouble in Buffalo. Regier and Ruff think exactly alike. If Ruff is wrong then Regier is wrong.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
We have nearly 16 years of this talk. He believes Ruff's system is the way to go, so why change it. Thats basically why Ruff has never been in trouble in Buffalo. Regier and Ruff think exactly alike. If Ruff is wrong then Regier is wrong.

I guess... Just from the reading in the quote it said quick fix and I not the coach... so maybe just saying the coach change isn't a quick fix...but a bigger one maybe...? Ugh.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
PATHETIC.

WE DON'T WANT A QUICK FIX.

WE DON'T WANT TO SELL FUTURE ASSETS TO IMPROVE THIS CURRENT ROSTER.

We want to continue to stockpile and add for the future; AND GET A COACH WHO CAN WORK WITH PLAYERS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF EACH OF THEM. RUFF CAN'T.

Darcy, please don't be a ****ing idiot ****tard spanootch-licking *******. Swing off of Ruff's penis and into reality. The coach is failing to maximize talents of this group - what will he do when we've got a roster in three years that could have a great combination of talented vets in TV, Poms, and Otter, younger guys who would be entering their prime in Ennis, Myers, Foligno and Sekera, plus youth with potential to make an impact in Grigs, Armia, Girgensons, Pysyk, McNabb, McCabe, possibly Cat....

Holy ****. Realize what direction you want to head in. Don't go for a quick fix. Go for a long term fix.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He's not changing the coach after this weekend. If you're getting anything more out of this, you're reaching.

I'm concerned he's exploring trades for a quick fix. That's my issue. And it's a valid concern.

Again:

WE DON'T WANT A QUICK FIX. WE WANT A SMART, EFFECTIVE FIX.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Ah yes. Injuries and better defensive play are excuses yet again. Who cares about how many goals the team has scored, it's basically been all 1 line.

Because Lindy has shown you Mr Regier how many times he could correct things and salvage a season with a trip to the playoffs?

It's time to put some pressure on everyone. He seems so happy he has Lindy to turn this around. But we know... It won't get turned around.
Everyone says scoring, the Sabres have ranked top 12 in scoring every single year since Briere/Drury except last year.

Defense, holding leads has been our problem, yet Ruff is a great defensive coach according to Regier.

Our potential shutdown D-man Myers isnt regressing or anything.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
You guys need to step back from the ledge. Its not like he can come out and say that he's thinking about making a coaching change as that would neuter Lindy more than he already is. If he decides to make a coaching change, the first you'll hear about it is the press conference announcing it.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'm concerned he's exploring trades for a quick fix. That's my issue. And it's a valid concern.

Again:

WE DON'T WANT A QUICK FIX. WE WANT A SMART, EFFECTIVE FIX.

Darcy didn't say anything about a quick fix, the reporter did. All Darcy said is that he's exploring the trade market.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
And when you think of where we are defensively, If I had a coach to pick to shore that up, Lindy is the guy. And it's not just all on Lindy by any means. We have to work together to get this turned around.

That quote is pretty disgusting, though.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You guys need to step back from the ledge. Its not like he can come out and say that he's thinking about making a coaching change as that would neuter Lindy more than he already is. If he decides to make a coaching change, the first you'll hear about it is the press conference announcing it.

Its 16 years. Just like the Bills, they miss the playoffs for 13 years you tend to grow pessimistic about anything they say or do.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Darcy didn't say anything about a quick fix, the reporter did. All Darcy said is that he's exploring the trade market.

If you're exploring the trade market, IN RESPONSE TO FINDING A QUICK FIX FOR THE TEAM, you're missing the greater picture as the GM - especially when you're the one who built the team and set them up to head in X direction.

I don't. want. a trade. that will see us send out someone who can help us in three years...for someone who may help us this year. No thanks.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
PATHETIC.

WE DON'T WANT A QUICK FIX.

WE DON'T WANT TO SELL FUTURE ASSETS TO IMPROVE THIS CURRENT ROSTER.

We want to continue to stockpile and add for the future; AND GET A COACH WHO CAN WORK WITH PLAYERS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF EACH OF THEM. RUFF CAN'T.

Darcy, please don't be a ****ing idiot ****tard spanootch-licking *******. Swing off of Ruff's penis and into reality. The coach is failing to maximize talents of this group - what will he do when we've got a roster in three years that could have a great combination of talented vets in TV, Poms, and Otter, younger guys who would be entering their prime in Ennis, Myers, Foligno and Sekera, plus youth with potential to make an impact in Grigs, Armia, Girgensons, Pysyk, McNabb, McCabe, possibly Cat....

Holy ****. Realize what direction you want to head in. Don't go for a quick fix. Go for a long term fix.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE

This GOT ME GOOD. HAHA:yo:

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
If they lose the next 3 - and I fully expect them to - how can you not fire the coach? Makes absolutely no sense.

"---The Sabres spent much of practice working on coverage on faceoffs after they're lost"

I'm glad practice time is being put toward learning how to fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad