TBN: Darcy on possible changes: 'It won't be the coach'

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If they lose the next 3 - and I fully expect them to - how can you not fire the coach? Makes absolutely no sense.

"---The Sabres spent much of practice working on coverage on faceoffs after they're lost"

I'm glad practice time is being put toward learning how to fail.

I laughed when I read that.

Instead of working on winning draws, they're focusing on where to be when they're lost. Could be viewed as "accepting reality" but...come on

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Yuck. I don't care so much that Regier isn't firing Ruff immediately, but I am wholly bothered by the fact that he's not (nor has he likely ever) considered it. Not only hasn't he considered it, he thinks it's preposterous. He thinks 100,000 fans are crazy because Ruff isn't the problem. How could he be the problem? He's just so awesome.

I'm also sure the meeting with Pegula and Ruff was to reaffirm him that, "Hey, you're our guy. You ain't going anywhere."

Pegula made two commitments on day one. Stanley Cup and Lindy Ruff 4lyfe. At least he'll be 1 for 2 as an owner? ...

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I laughed when I read that.

Instead of working on winning draws, they're focusing on where to be when they're lost. Could be viewed as "accepting reality" but...come on

I think that's overblown. Yes they need to of course work on faceoffs. But the reality is even if they turned into the best team in the league in FO percentage they will still lose about 4 out of 10. You have to know what to do when that happens.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Yuck. I don't care so much that Regier isn't firing Ruff immediately, but I am wholly bothered by the fact that he's not (nor has he likely ever) considered it. Not only hasn't he considered it, he thinks it's preposterous. He thinks 100,000 fans are crazy because Ruff isn't the problem. How could he be the problem? He's just so awesome.

I'm also sure the meeting with Pegula and Ruff was to reaffirm him that, "Hey, you're our guy. You ain't going anywhere."

Pegula made two commitments on day one. Stanley Cup and Lindy Ruff 4lyfe. At least he'll be 1 for 2 as an owner? ...

Conjecture and speculations.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think that's overblown. Yes they need to of course work on faceoffs. But the reality is even if they turned into the best team in the league in FO percentage they will still lose about 4 out of 10. You have to know what to do when that happens.

Or, you could split the time and work on the art of taking faceoffs so you're not spending as much time preparing for lost draws? You can over-blow it in either direction.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Or, you could split the time and work on the art of taking faceoffs so you're not spending as much time preparing for lost draws? You can over-blow it in either direction.

Agreed. That's why I put it in my post.

Did any of those reports say they didn't work of faceoffs? Or are we all just assuming again?

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010

Is someone in this drill losing faceoffs on purpose?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Is the trade market soft because no one wants to give up a consistent 30 goal scorer for Drew Stafford, TJ Brennan, and pick?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Conjecture and speculations.

We're not in a court of law, and I'm pretty sure most message board dialogue consists of mostly what you described. No one knows exactly what Darcy is thinking, but through his words and actions, it's easy to make an educated guess.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Agreed. That's why I put it in my post.

Did any of those reports say they didn't work of faceoffs? Or are we all just assuming again?

With Kevyn Adams on the Sabres' coaching staff, I can't imagine they haven't been working vigorously at the dot.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
We're not in a court of law, and I'm pretty sure most message board dialogue consists of mostly what you described.

Well yeah.

I'm all aboard the fire Ruff train but some of the stuff that we're all sure about is a bit out of hand. :laugh:

And I love the argument that "It's a message board." Does that mean I shouldn't have responded? Sounds kind of defeatist.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
With Kevyn Adams on the Sabres' coaching staff, I can't imagine they haven't been working vigorously at the dot.

They likely have, so this one comes back to Regier. Faceoffs can't be "taught" like a card trick overnight. They take craft and experience. Young centers and winger converts don't generally win many draws. Goose and Roy could win draws (Goose in particular), and both were essentially replaced by kids. I'm fine with moving those guys...but have a plan after that, Darcy. He doesn't seem to think a step ahead.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
They likely have, so this one comes back to Regier. Faceoffs can't be "taught" like a card trick overnight. They take craft and experience. Young centers and winger converts don't generally win many draws. Goose and Roy could win draws (Goose in particular), and both were essentially replaced by kids. I'm fine with moving those guys...but have a plan after that, Darcy. He doesn't seem to think a step ahead.

I think the problem is he thinks too many steps ahead sometimes. He's seemingly solved the center problem for the future with Hodgson, Grigs, and Girgs but he forgot that whole middle bit about winning in the present.

EDIT: I gotta stop posting in class. I'll respond and rebut more later. :laugh:

Ace1963

Jan 14, 2013
Buffalo
This is just classic Sabres I guess. When will the madness END?>!!!!!!?!?

It's awful. My father died recently without seeing them win a Stanley Cup, and it infuriates me to no end to hear this pinhead give his usual FU answer.

As for Ruff, maybe he'll be "accidentally" run over by one of his own players again.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

I agree that faceoffs can't be taught over night. That's why I'm not at all opposed to them working on what to do after the draw is lost.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a fairly large roster move made that moves Ennis back to wing and gives us a two-way center with some faceoff and defensive ability in the top nine.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I think the problem is he thinks too many steps ahead sometimes. He's seemingly solved the center problem for the future with Hodgson, Grigs, and Girgs but he forgot that whole middle bit about winning in the present.

EDIT: I gotta stop posting in class. I'll respond and rebut more later. :laugh:

That's fair and I can go along with that assessment.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
This is just classic Sabres I guess. When will the madness END?>!!!!!!?!?

When we MAKE it end. That means start running this team down...IN PUBLIC(NOT a board like this)...not buying the gear....etc.

Like anything else, the Sabres are a business. Affect their bottom line enough and they'll listen.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I agree that faceoffs can't be taught over night. That's why I'm not at all opposed to them working on what to do after the draw is lost.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a fairly large roster move made that moves Ennis back to wing and gives us a two-way center with some faceoff and defensive ability in the top nine.

In my dreams that guy is O'Reilly and Ennis gets traded to bring him here. :laugh: (OK, that didn't occur in any dream, though I did legitimately dream the Sabres traded for Sven Baertschi. No idea how that name got in my head.)

And since I'm now way off topic...um, I don't expect Ruff to get fired this year. However, this summer, there's no excuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad