Confirmed with Link: Danton Heinen Traded For Nick Ritchie

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Complementary wingers are worth little I think. I'll take one that hits over one that plays defense. I agree - I think this is a great time to invest in a power forward. They have begun to learn the NHL but their bodies have more to give.

Agreed on the first end of things.

And Exactly. It’s the perfect stage in his career to get him

I think he’s gonna be here awhile and be a favorite

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
What I like about the move:

+ The Bruins could use a bit of size and toughness up front.

+ I say this as a Danton Heinen fan... he's been pretty poor this year. Ritchie's not going to have to be great in order to be an improvement over the 2019-20 version of Danton Heinen.

+ Ritchie's another player who has the ability to drive possession and generate offense. The xGF/60 jumps off the page. Like Kase, there seems to be some potential for the production numbers to take a step forward if he's surrounded by better talent.

+ Another $1.3+ million saved that can be used to sign Krug and DeBrusk this summer. Also like the fact that Ritchie's under contract for next year, and then he's still only an RFA.

What I don't like about the move:

- When Heinen is "on", he's been a better, more valuable player than Nick Ritchie. It feels like the Bruins are selling low.

- Those xGF numbers that are encouraging? They always seem to outpace his actual goals scored. Sometimes when your xGF/60 is higher than your GF/60, that can be explained away by saying it's bad puck luck. When it happens consistently, you start to wonder if he just can't finish.

- The penalty numbers are stupid ugly, bordering on obscene. There's a really good chance that he's going to take a number of bad penalties down the stretch and into the playoffs. Some of those penalties will cost the Bruins goals, if not games. I mean... it's literally nearly off-the-chart bad.

ANA

I hear ya, his penalties are a problem. But you give him a chance to address it. I’m only concerned about the playoffs, and I hope he’s smart enough to understand he needs to be more careful there. I’m positive Cassidy and Chara will make it known to the whole team.

Outside of the playoffs...don’t care...go off...destroy. That would be a whole new wrinkle for teams facing the Bruins. Off leash.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There are guys in Prov itching to get up here and do what Danton did, and more. Going into the playoffs last year, we saw what happens to soft players. Danton is quietly skilled but inconsistent. He was getting killed out there by the Blues. Ritchie gives us a big, strong, tough body out there. He WILL defend his teammates. He will be strong on the puck. This is a good deal. I wish the best for Heinen. I do. But going into the playoffs. A prescene like Richie helps. We are already solid defensively.

The Heinen stuff above is mostly fiction.

He was one of the more consistent performers in last year’s playoffs with Mojo and Coyle. Also, if there were guys in PRO that “could do what Danton did and more”, why weren’t they up playing for the big club? People seem to forget that Heinen was better in the AHL than DeBrusk, Bjork, Kuhlman, or any of the current crop of prospects.

As far as Ritchie goes, I like the addition of size and toughness, but he’s not really taking Heinen’s place. If the B’s were going to deal him, it should have been in a package for a legit 2nd line F, which neither Kase or Ritchie is. All the B’s did was move a guy out that they were playing out of place on the 2nd line (he should have been on the 3rd) for another Tweener in Kase.

Last year in the playoffs, Heinen (and the 3rd line) was not the problem. Inconsistent scoring from the Top 6 was the issue. I’m not sure Kase addresses that (because he can’t stay on the ice) and I know Ritchie doesn’t (not his role). From what I can see the B’s created some Cap space by moving Backes and Heinen for Kase and Ritchie, they added some size and grit in the Bottom 6, but did nothing to address their biggest problem.

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
Ritchie has 78 minutes in penalties this season and 40 of them were 10 minute misconducts. Chara has 53 penalty minutes without any 10 minute misconducts. Then there is Marchy, 70 minutes in penalties and one 10 minute misconduct.

Considering how heavy Nick plays, his numbers look OK to me.

Reactions: GloveSave1

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Ritchie has 78 minutes in penalties this season and 40 of them were 10 minute misconducts. Chara has 53 penalty minutes without any 10 minute misconducts. Then there is Marchy, 70 minutes in penalties and one 10 minute misconduct.

Considering how heavy Nick plays, his numbers look OK to me.

Zdeno Chara - 18 minor penalties, 1385.37 minutes played.
Brad Marchand - 24 minor penalties, 1240.04 minutes played.

Nick Ritchie - 19 minor penalties, 590.03 minutes played.

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
Zdeno Chara - 18 minor penalties, 1385.37 minutes played.
Brad Marchand - 24 minor penalties, 1240.04 minutes played.

Nick Ritchie - 19 minor penalties, 590.03 minutes played.
Nah, does nothing to change my feelings. He plays a very heavy game and is often on the edge which results in the other team feeling the pain. I'm still OK with those numbers, we'll see how it goes here.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Younger , who cares. Are we competing for this years cup or 2024 ? And heavier ? A lazy underachiever is what he got. Better then most teams ? Really, then who, Not Tampa, Not Carolina, Not the Islanders, Not Pittsburgh. And he saved 3.2 you say, from what ? A bust signing of Backes, that after a bust signing of Belesky. I stand by my comment, i think he has wasted the great years of our nucleus the last three years and i think that continues today. Thats my opinion. Trochek would have been great, Pageau as well. You dont GM at the deadline worrying about saving money for Krug signing. You GM at the deadline to get the type player who puts you over the top for a cup run. Especially when we were thisclose last year. We did not succeed in this. He spit in the wind. Lets see where it goes. I say not even as far as last year. And thats a shame. Just my opinion.

Tampa - Added Coleman, Greco & Goodrow while giving up two 1st + a top prospect. Their best add was Coleman who was having a career year while playing 17 minutes a night....he's a 3rd liner

Carolina - added Skjei, Vatanen, Trocheck. Not sold on Vatanen, he's a been awful defensively. Trocheck is a roughly 50pt centerman, but you have to wonder why his TOI has gone from close to 20 minutes TOI to 17 minutes TOI. Skjei is a wild card. I talk to NYR fans and they said he's regressed and many were shocked they got a 1st rounder for him. They had a ok deadline, but I don't see them as a massive threat. They also added 3 guys that we couldn't use

Islanders - The added JGP....not a huge fan as his production has increased with his increased usage in OTT. Is he going to get 20 minutes a night in New York? Not a huge add IMO.

Pittsburgh - Added Zucker, Marleau, Rodrigues and Sheary. Rodrigues and Sheary are bottom 6 forwards. Zucker was a good add, but it cost them 1st + top prospect + NHL Player. Marleau's production has dipped for a 3rd straight year. Maybe they put him with Crosby or Geno and he becomes productive again, but he's not the Marleau many think of.

So of the 4 teams you've listed, Pittsburgh probably improved the most. Tampa improved, but I don't think they improved anymore than Boston did. Carolina improved, but IDK how much better they got defensively. The islanders improved, but I don't think JGP is going to be putting up the same numbers as he did in OTT.

Is the team better than they were before the TDL? Yes and isn't that the job the GM? Remember it takes two teams to make a deal and it sounds like they had the best offer for Palmeiri, but NJD held out for a 1st (which obviously no one paid).

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Welcome to Boston Nick Ritchie

so glad Heinen is gone ..I couldn't stand to watch him play one more game in a spoked B

Reactions: sarge88

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I am kind of confused on the need to shit on one guy to promote another. Danton is a good hockey player. Some don't care for his game, and that's fine, but others of us liked what he brought and he is going to be successful in Anaheim or wherever he ends up whether as a 3rd line guy or realizing his potential in a top 6 role. Nick Ritchie is a good hockey player. He brings a different style and skill set from Heinen and that probably is more what the Bruins need right now than what Danton does. It was a good trade for both teams involving two good young players that are going to fit better in their new homes than they did in their old ones.
Heinen is a Damn good hockey player. Made so many little smart plays that go unnoticed. I feel bad that he was traded, But I think it was the right move. I am happy Backes is in Anaheim to help him with the transition together. Sweeney mentioned he was visibly upset and I have no doubt he was. Kid has a long career in front of him. Best of luck Danton!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
IMO, Sweeney dropped the ball. He went 2/3 of the way, but didn’t get into the end zone.

The team needed a 2nd line RW.

IMO, Kase is a 3rd line RW, and putting him on the 2nd line is a Band-Aid, just like Heinen, Bjork, Kuhlman, etc., etc. I like the acquisitions of both Kase and Ritchie, but it’s adding Bottom 6 depth to a group that was already deep 7-12.

If Sweeney was going to bring in Kase (to replace Heinen I guess), and add a Ritchie (or Wood, or similar) as a physical presence for the 3rd line on the left side, the next logical step would have been to deal Bjork as part of a package for a 2nd line wing.

Palmieri would have been my first choice, but guys like Saad or Trocheck night have been decent fits as well. When I look at the team, I like the added size with Ritchie, but when teams clamp down on the 1st line, is a 2nd line of DeBrusk, Krejci, Kase going to be able to shoulder the load?

I have my doubts.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
ritchie has out produced heinen this year. However Ritchie is also the most undisciplined player in the nhl

can’t wait to watch him take dumb penalties and cost us games. He’s drawn one penalty all year long lol, but gets the most penalties per 60 in the league.

Agree, and that is alarming to me.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I think you either need to draft these guys or buy low when they are still young. It's worth the gamble. He has rare breed power forward upside. Sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery and a winning environment. Sometimes they are who they are.... We'll find out.

Ritchie was playing in the NHL at 19. I don't think it's that uncommon for certain players, especially top-10 picks, to maybe have a sense of entitlement? His path is far different from Heinen, who was passed over entirely in his draft year. Ritchie's been around for a long time not taking any great leaps in development. Middling a little bit. Even just a small spike overall and he's a valuable piece. Not just now going, but going forward. I don't know if the same can be said for Heinen. He just became so replaceable among this group. I feel like there was no hope of him finding a meaningful role again.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The Heinen stuff above is mostly fiction.

He was one of the more consistent performers in last year’s playoffs with Mojo and Coyle. Also, if there were guys in PRO that “could do what Danton did and more”, why weren’t they up playing for the big club? People seem to forget that Heinen was better in the AHL than DeBrusk, Bjork, Kuhlman, or any of the current crop of prospects.

As far as Ritchie goes, I like the addition of size and toughness, but he’s not really taking Heinen’s place. If the B’s were going to deal him, it should have been in a package for a legit 2nd line F, which neither Kase or Ritchie is. All the B’s did was move a guy out that they were playing out of place on the 2nd line (he should have been on the 3rd) for another Tweener in Kase.

Last year in the playoffs, Heinen (and the 3rd line) was not the problem. Inconsistent scoring from the Top 6 was the issue. I’m not sure Kase addresses that (because he can’t stay on the ice) and I know Ritchie doesn’t (not his role). From what I can see the B’s created some Cap space by moving Backes and Heinen for Kase and Ritchie, they added some size and grit in the Bottom 6, but did nothing to address their biggest problem.

I think this years players in Prov can have an impact. Frederic is having a good year. Studnicka has been very good. Those players could come up and have an impact.

Heinen is a good player. But he is very streaky and very inconsistant. He gets knocked off the puck easily. But other times ive seen him play strong and hard. The inconsistency is what plagued him. If he works on it in Anaheim, he will be a good player. I think we upgraded what we needed at THIS time going into the playoffs this year. We lacked toughness. We lacked oomph. Ritchie will bring that for us. So we'll see how it plays out.

Reactions: Ratty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad