Confirmed with Link: Danton Heinen Traded For Nick Ritchie

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Appreciate the breakdown. But it is your opinion. Just because you dont think Pageau will put up the same numbers. Does not make it fact. The bottom line is those teams did what they had to do, we did not. We needed a top six winger with size. We did not accomplish that. Its pretty simple. Instead of doing a deal to save money to sign Krug in the off season.....Use the first rounder and get Kreider. I am sure had they made an offer even to overpay....Get the job done. Sacrifice Studnika, or Frederick or Beecher. Whatever it takes. This team is built to win now. Get it done. He did not. In my opinion he failed and in my opinion he has failed this nucleus. If it does not work we can sell next year and recoup. Bottom line. Best we can do is hope Kase scores. And maybe it works out. We will see.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Love this trade. I don't know what's going on with Heinen but he was playing himself out of the lineup. Not sure if he just lost his confidence or what but he has not been the same player for awhile. Good luck to him in Anaheim. Really glad they got some size, physicality, & snarl up front. Sounds like he loves the physical play & battling in front. Need these type of guys for the playoffs. Really excited to see him play.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
The Bruins didn’t out-shoot STL in the first period of Game 7 12-4 and carry play until the last couple of minutes?

Don’t think that’s up for debate? It’s fact.
Where did I say that they didn't out shoot them? Where did I imply they didn't play hard for the first 15 minutes?

What I said was that the refs "let them play" and the Blues took it to the Bruins with no push back. Heck look at the first goal, Blais hammers Acciari (already injured from a previous cheep shot) and that sets the whole play in motion...no push back.

Right from the first shift of the game the Blues brought the heavy, high and even late hits and by the third period there was nothing the Bruins could do. No push back and no power plays = no cup.

That's what I saw...

Reactions: Johnny4778

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The Bruins got Palmieri, Kreider, or Saad?

I missed that.

If you are referring to the Kase trade. He has potential, but I don’t consider him a legit 2nd line player at this point in his career.

Kase has SEVEN goals...seven.

Same amount as Heinen and he plays 2:36 more minutes a night. That’s the guy that is supposed to be the solution?

I really hope that Kase turns out to be that guy, but I would feel a helluva lot more comfortable if he was the B’s 3rd line RW and a guy like Palmieri (or similar) was manning DK’s wing.

Yeah, that would be nice.

I guess my point is that they’re looking to slot in Kase on the second line, not Ritchie.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What a fitting last game for Heinen as a Bruin in front of friends and family.

Hes the big winner of this trade should get plenty of ice and PP time and be able to anonymously do his Loui Erikkson impression in Anaheim.

Solid regular season player but I had enough the last 2 playoffs. The good Ritchie for a guy who should have been scratched works for me. I don't mind maybe taking a look at Brent again on the RW either.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
In trade analysis, Bruins added important pieces — and created financial flexibility - The Boston Globe

In his final game as a Duck, on Sunday against Vegas, Nick Ritchie recorded two goals and two assists. He was about a stick’s length from the crease when he picked up each of the four points, barreling his way toward blue paint and red lights.

He won’t be needed to deliver 2-2—4 performances in Boston — that’s David Pastrnak’s department — but if Ritchie’s crashing-and-banging creates a few goals in the months ahead, so be it.

“Interior ice play, size and strength, net-front play, contested puck battles,” said general Don Sweeney, ticking off some of the reasons he shipped Danton Heinen to Anaheim for Brett Ritchie’s younger, more accomplished brother before Monday’s trade countdown clock hit zero.

The Bruins didn’t bolster the back end, believing there’s enough in reserve to get through the grittiest time of the season. Connor Clifton is on the way back, Jeremy Lauzon has played with bite, and there’s Steven Kampfer, Urho Vaakanainen and Jakub Zboril down on the farm. Maybe Kevan Miller will suit up again, and what a pleasant return that would be.

Sweeney has to think about the books, too, particularly given his ongoing negotiations with Torey Krug and the fact the Bruins, before Kase and Ritchie debut, were pretty darn competitive (90 points, No. 1 in the NHL).

They didn’t necessarily have to add a major piece, such as Kreider, to make a run. They were in need of NHL-tested forwards, and 24-year-olds Kase and Ritchie fit that bill.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Seems a bit eager to somehow equate Ritchie with Ryan Spooner and Matt Beleskey. Ie players who objectively failed during their time with the Bruins.

I also think your Heinen prediction is rather baseless given what we’ve seen during his time in the league. Aside from the first half of his rookie year, he has struggled to produce at any consistent level in the NHL. It’s been years. Yeah he hasn’t been a top line player, but that is because he hasn’t shown nearly enough to climb into those spots in the lineup.

Team needed to bring up their overall physicality and this trade did that with a player capable of producing offense as well.

Don Sweeney is a great GM, but his worst moves so far have been when he chases size. Hayes was bought out, Belesky was bought out, Brett Ritchie sent to the minors, and Backes was unloaded by trading valuable assets. Coyle, to be fair, has worked out marvelously.

I certainly hope Nick Ritchie is another Charlie Coyle, but one has to wonder why Anaheim is giving up on a 6'3, 220lb former top 10 pick at the age of 24.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
And I would say that Cassidy moving Heinen all over the place messed with his production because when he stayed on one line during his tenure with the B’s, he produced.

My greater point was that many players make mistakes and many players underperform, but few seem to be held accountable the way Heinen was.
Did Heinen truly change lines that often?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If either player was more complete then they would be making a lot more money, and would not be third liners. This trade was a simple third liner for third liner, both of which had lost some of the confidence of management.

Heinen is the better all-around hockey player who was struggling this season in some areas of his game. I like him and appreciate his value to a team. Despite that, although Ana got the better player, Boston got a player that better fits their playoff needs. It's that simple. Even if Ritchie ends up being subpar, I still applaud DS for the move. He identified a playoff need and acted on it. I don't think Heinen was going to tip the needle for the B's in the playoffs. Ritchie might very well tip the needle some. That's enough for me.

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad