Confirmed with Link: Danton Heinen Traded For Nick Ritchie

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Ritchie is better than anyone on our 4th line, and he's better than Kuhlman too.

As long as Ritchie makes his way to about 20 feet in front of the net and gets a shot on goal instead of rattling off the glass... he would have one over Kuhlman easily.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I am not jumping from any ledge, But what i wont be doing is attending the 4 playoff games i attended last year including game one and Seven of the finals. Why waste the money. If the organization does not make the effort, why should the fans. Kreider, Trochek, Pageau, Athanasou, If you get me guys like this, then at least we have a chance. Believe me, we are not getting the cakewalk to the Cup we got last year. And the team is not really much better. I admit i dont know much about Kase, But i dont think he is jamming on the boards with Tom Wilson come playoffs. Just saying.

Kreider re-signed and wasnt available
Trochek decent add, but a C (which we didnt need)
Pageau is wildly overrated for a boom year where he was seeing almost 20 minutes a night (TOI he wont get here)
AA - wildly inconsistent and not an upgrade

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
He's a guy I wanted for a while. I think he fits the bill nicely, don't expect a ton of goals, but he's a guy that's an absolute horse to move and will bully you in the corners. Guy is a human truck at 6'2'', 235 lbs. Lets put it this way, I'd much rather enter the post season with this guy than Heinen.

One time we got called for Too many men on the ice.
Cassidy put Heinen in the box.
It was a fantastic move by Cassidy.
That way Heinen wasn't on the ice and wasn't on the bench. ;)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I am kind of confused on the need to shit on one guy to promote another. Danton is a good hockey player. Some don't care for his game, and that's fine, but others of us liked what he brought and he is going to be successful in Anaheim or wherever he ends up whether as a 3rd line guy or realizing his potential in a top 6 role. Nick Ritchie is a good hockey player. He brings a different style and skill set from Heinen and that probably is more what the Bruins need right now than what Danton does. It was a good trade for both teams involving two good young players that are going to fit better in their new homes than they did in their old ones.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Sounds an awful like the justifications made for the Reilly Smith, Jimmy Hayes trade
the deals may seem similar on the surface, but Heinen has never shown an ability to be as good as Reilly Smith had when he was traded and Jimmy Hayes had one decent outlier year and they clearly thought he was going to be more than he was.

This deal is much closer to equal value than the Smith/Hayes trade was.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
the deals may seem similar on the surface, but Heinen has never shown an ability to be as good as Reilly Smith had when he was traded and Jimmy Hayes had one decent outlier year and they clearly thought he was going to be more than he was.

Didn’t the B’s unload Savard’s cap hit too?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
There are guys in Prov itching to get up here and do what Danton did, and more. Going into the playoffs last year, we saw what happens to soft players. Danton is quietly skilled but inconsistent. He was getting killed out there by the Blues. Ritchie gives us a big, strong, tough body out there. He WILL defend his teammates. He will be strong on the puck. This is a good deal. I wish the best for Heinen. I do. But going into the playoffs. A prescene like Richie helps. We are already solid defensively.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

When Heinen played with Smith’s former linemates last year he went on a tear. Give Heinen a full year with Marchand and Bergeron and he’ll put up points. He thinks the game at a high level

I love the trade because I’m a huge nick Ritchie guy but this idea that Heinen hasn’t done anything is not accurate imo

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I am not jumping from any ledge, But what i wont be doing is attending the 4 playoff games i attended last year including game one and Seven of the finals. Why waste the money. If the organization does not make the effort, why should the fans. Kreider, Trochek, Pageau, Athanasou, If you get me guys like this, then at least we have a chance. Believe me, we are not getting the cakewalk to the Cup we got last year. And the team is not really much better. I admit i dont know much about Kase, But i dont think he is jamming on the boards with Tom Wilson come playoffs. Just saying.

Good. Now someone who wants to go won't have to compete with you for tickets.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Heinen’s current offensive production is zero. He is completely broken offense wise. Right now.

If we’re talking offense, Ritchie’s production in Anaheim should at least get a little of the Kase treatment...I.e. that “Anaheim is where offensive goes to die.”

Heinen has been in a better situation for years. 3rd line. 2nd line. Even some first line time. Power play time on a good PP. His production has sunk like an anchor.

Evidently, DS doesn’t see Heinen’s soft but capable defensive game as something that totally powers a roster spot.

Heinen is a young, soft, defensive forward that has plenty of ceiling left to become a well rounded forward...but he’s a project.

Ritchie will now be given the better situation Heinen has had for years. I gotta feel we’ll get a base level of offensive ability, if not more...but these marginal Heinen numbers shown by some that used to exist, at the least.

...and then of course is the physical side...snarl...this team has desperately desperately needed...and the money...

It’s clear that DS focus has narrowed down to the line of sight, this deal falls right in line with that.

I’d bet Heinen is the better player 5 years from now, but I can’t even be sure. Ritchie was drafted as someone who had plenty of ceiling on his own. Maybe a change of scenery and talent upgrade will be just what he needs to take a step or two. We’re a better team today.

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
fully expect heinen to have a good career... get another 3 year contract... battle for 40 and even 45 point seasons... and a lot of people here will feel they miss him. its ok hell i think kris versteeg fans kept missing him until he was out of the league too

its ok

but heinens replacement is going to be a kid from ahl making minimum wage. heinen was never a core guy here and never would be

meanwhile Ritchie... he might be out of the league as quick as his brother if his attitude doesnt respond to a new team. hes clearly an impressive talent. he was a high pick for a reason

but like tom wilson and jake Virtanen and many big beasts before them... it takes awhile for these guys to get it

milan lucic didnt start fast either
lucic 89 points in first 199 games
Ritchie 59 points in first 189 games

now lucic went on to become a first line stud... a difference maker on a cup caliber team

lucic was 23 when we went to the finals and he was a beast

when these guys do get their game together... they are worth their weight in gold

I used to say lets trade for tom Wilson... everyone said no
I used to say lets trade for jake Virtanen... everyone said no
I said lets trade for nick ritchie

and this time Sweeney said yes... so im hopeful better late than never and im hoping this will be the steal of trade deadline day

Reactions: GloveSave1

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
What I like about the move:

+ The Bruins could use a bit of size and toughness up front.

+ I say this as a Danton Heinen fan... he's been pretty poor this year. Ritchie's not going to have to be great in order to be an improvement over the 2019-20 version of Danton Heinen.

+ Ritchie's another player who has the ability to drive possession and generate offense. The xGF/60 jumps off the page. Like Kase, there seems to be some potential for the production numbers to take a step forward if he's surrounded by better talent.

+ Another $1.3+ million saved that can be used to sign Krug and DeBrusk this summer. Also like the fact that Ritchie's under contract for next year, and then he's still only an RFA.

What I don't like about the move:

- When Heinen is "on", he's been a better, more valuable player than Nick Ritchie. It feels like the Bruins are selling low.

- Those xGF numbers that are encouraging? They always seem to outpace his actual goals scored. Sometimes when your xGF/60 is higher than your GF/60, that can be explained away by saying it's bad puck luck. When it happens consistently, you start to wonder if he just can't finish.

- The penalty numbers are stupid ugly, bordering on obscene. There's a really good chance that he's going to take a number of bad penalties down the stretch and into the playoffs. Some of those penalties will cost the Bruins goals, if not games. I mean... it's literally nearly off-the-chart bad.

ANA

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
When Heinen played with Smith’s former linemates last year he went on a tear. Give Heinen a full year with Marchand and Bergeron and he’ll put up points. He thinks the game at a high level

I love the trade because I’m a huge nick Ritchie guy but this idea that Heinen hasn’t done anything is not accurate imo

Heinen did what 90% of NHLers would do on that line. He is useless on his own. We won't miss him for a moment.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I hope he isn't Beleseky 2.0 and his play does not resemble his brother's.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Heinen did what 90% of NHLers would do on that line. He is useless on his own. We won't miss him for a moment.

I would reckon most NHLers are useless on their own

again, I love the trade, but we don’t need to shit on Danton to prop it up

As an aside This is how you acquire a power forward. Not via free agency. You get them while they are entering their primes, not in the middle of it

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I would reckon most NHLers are useless on their own

again, I love the trade, but we don’t need to shit on Danton to prop it up

As an aside This is how you acquire a power forward. Not via free agency. You get them while they are entering their primes, not in the middle of it

Complementary wingers are worth little I think. I'll take one that hits over one that plays defense. I agree - I think this is a great time to invest in a power forward. They have begun to learn the NHL but their bodies have more to give.

Reactions: sarge88

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I really feel we have more scoring now with these moves Ritchie and kase. 1st line will have less pressure. Donny knew what he was doing here. Didn't sell the farm opened cap space . These moves are for now and future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad