Confirmed with Link: Danton Heinen Traded For Nick Ritchie

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This is actually true.

He scored one goal in the first 12 playoff games, then one in the second 12. He was like clockwork.

I don’t judge players by stats alone.

I mean DeBrusk had a whopping 3 more points over 24 games while playing almost 2 minutes more a game, but I never hear any complaints about his production.

Reactions: BMC

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think this years players in Prov can have an impact. Frederic is having a good year. Studnicka has been very good. Those players could come up and have an impact.

Heinen is a good player. But he is very streaky and very inconsistant. He gets knocked off the puck easily. But other times ive seen him play strong and hard. The inconsistency is what plagued him. If he works on it in Anaheim, he will be a good player. I think we upgraded what we needed at THIS time going into the playoffs this year. We lacked toughness. We lacked oomph. Ritchie will bring that for us. So we'll see how it plays out.

I like the Ritchie acquisition but think the B’s sold low on Heinen after moving him all over the place in the lineup.

Studnicka is a C and Frederic is a C/LW so they have zero to do with Heinen, who has been playing out of position on his off wing for most of two seasons.

The reason the B’s lost in the playoffs is because they lacked scoring from the 2nd line. The Heinen for Ritchie Trade didn’t address that weakness.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Objectively, the value is fair, but I still dislike this trade. Danton is valuable because he is versatile, and even when he is not producing, he never hurts the team. You miss those players when they are replaced by a guy who goes cold on the scoresheet and takes bad penalties or makes a bad turnover (e.g. Matt Belesky, Ryan Spooner). I also think Heinen still has a lot of upside. He hasn't got the confidence thing figured out, but his pure skill level and hockey sense is borderline elite. No doubt he is capable of 60-70 point seasons if he really finds his stride.

Reactions: s3antana5757

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I like the Ritchie acquisition but think the B’s sold low on Heinen after moving him all over the place in the lineup.

Studnicka is a C and Frederic is a C/LW so they have zero to do with Heinen, who has been playing out of position on his off wing for most of two seasons.

The reason the B’s lost in the playoffs is because they lacked scoring from the 2nd line. The Heinen for Ritchie Trade didn’t address that weakness.

Did you hear about the other trade?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
i guess the price was to high for Palmeri
Just repeating what I've read somewhere on these boards, so I apologize if anything was remembered incorrectly.
NJ's ask:Rumor was NJ demanded 1st or they'd just hold onto him.
Rumored proposal: Bjork, prospect (Vaakenen?) and 2nd was an offer or ask. Don't know which side turned it down, or if that was the true offer or not.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Objectively, the value is fair, but I still dislike this trade. Danton is valuable because he is versatile, and even when he is not producing, he never hurts the team. You miss those players when they are replaced by a guy who goes cold on the scoresheet and takes bad penalties or makes a bad turnover (e.g. Matt Belesky, Ryan Spooner). I also think Heinen still has a lot of upside. He hasn't got the confidence thing figured out, but his pure skill level and hockey sense is borderline elite. No doubt he is capable of 60-70 point seasons if he really finds his stride.

Seems a bit eager to somehow equate Ritchie with Ryan Spooner and Matt Beleskey. Ie players who objectively failed during their time with the Bruins.

I also think your Heinen prediction is rather baseless given what we’ve seen during his time in the league. Aside from the first half of his rookie year, he has struggled to produce at any consistent level in the NHL. It’s been years. Yeah he hasn’t been a top line player, but that is because he hasn’t shown nearly enough to climb into those spots in the lineup.

Team needed to bring up their overall physicality and this trade did that with a player capable of producing offense as well.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Again, I liked Heinen. But there were other factors we lost last year. We had no 1st or 2nd line. I think we addressed two needs. Would I have liked more? Absolutely. I like what we did. And with some line changes and kids popping in some positions, I think we'll be okay. Kase is the big issue. If he can stay healthy, I think Krejci and him will vibe.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I don’t judge players by stats alone.

I mean DeBrusk had a whopping 3 more points over 24 games while playing almost 2 minutes more a game, but I never hear any complaints about his production.
The official party line is in your corner on this, but I still say that Kadri cheap shot messed him up something fierce, to the point where he wasn't right until December.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Did you hear about the other trade?

The Bruins got Palmieri, Kreider, or Saad?

I missed that.

If you are referring to the Kase trade. He has potential, but I don’t consider him a legit 2nd line player at this point in his career.

Kase has SEVEN goals...seven.

Same amount as Heinen and he plays 2:36 more minutes a night. That’s the guy that is supposed to be the solution?

I really hope that Kase turns out to be that guy, but I would feel a helluva lot more comfortable if he was the B’s 3rd line RW and a guy like Palmieri (or similar) was manning DK’s wing.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
I guess you could argue they could have avoided a game 7 and ended it sooner maybe? But realisticly there is no real way to know for sure that a Kreider type gets that done.

With that being said they did NOT loose Game 7 because of a lack of secondary scoring. They lost because they got bullied and run out of their own building when the refs "let them play". Nick Ritchie definitely changes that dynamic, heck David Backes would have done more to stand up to the Blues then his replacement did.

Also, for my money, if Chara's jaw is not broken in 5 places by a freak shot block the Bruins likely win the cup, even with this supposedly extra large gaping hole at 2rw. How could that be?

I didn't come away from last years playoffs thinking they desperately needed more scoring but I absolutely felt like they needed a lot more push back.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The official party line is in your corner on this, but I still say that Kadri cheap shot messed him up something fierce, to the point where he wasn't right until December.

And I would say that Cassidy moving Heinen all over the place messed with his production because when he stayed on one line during his tenure with the B’s, he produced.

My greater point was that many players make mistakes and many players underperform, but few seem to be held accountable the way Heinen was.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
The Heinen is a baby we need more toughness crowd must be loving this.

Has next year on his contract too so not a rental

Yes, we desperately needed more size and grit up front, plus in Heinen we had a player who had regressed so much he was now skating with the 5th line. It boggles my mind how anybody who watches the Bruins can still be a big fan of Heinen, he has been absolutely brutal for quite awhile now, he was bringing down every line he was on. A trade to a smaller hockey hotbed might be very beneficial for Heinen, his time in Boston had come to an end.

Reactions: Bodit9

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I guess you could argue they could have avoided a game 7 and ended it sooner maybe? But realisticly there is no real way to know for sure that a Kreider type gets that done.

With that being said they did NOT loose Game 7 because of a lack of secondary scoring. They lost because they got bullied and run out of their own building when the refs "let them play". Nick Ritchie definitely changes that dynamic, heck David Backes would have done more to stand up to the Blues then his replacement did.

Also, for my money, if Chara's jaw is not broken in 5 places by a freak shot block the Bruins likely win the cup, even with this supposedly extra large gaping hole at 2rw. How could that be?

I didn't come away from last years playoffs thinking they desperately needed more scoring but I absolutely felt like they needed a lot more push back.

You and I must have been watching a different Game 7? The one I watched had the Bruins dominating the first period and out-shooting STL by a large margin (12-4 I think?) but being unable to get one past Binnington. Brad Marchand makes a bonehead play, STL goes up two, game over.

Their goalie (and the B’s lack of scoring) was the difference.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
And I would say that Cassidy moving Heinen all over the place messed with his production because when he stayed on one line during his tenure with the B’s, he produced.

My greater point was that many players make mistakes and many players underperform, but few seem to be held accountable the way Heinen was.

Don't think Butch liked him. Getting out of Boston may be good for him.

Reactions: Spooner st

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
You and I must have been watching a different Game 7? The one I watched had the Bruins dominating the first period and out-shooting STL by a large margin (12-4 I think?) but being unable to get one past Binnington. Brad Marchand makes a bonehead play, STL goes up two, game over.

We'll have to agree to disagree...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes, we desperately needed more size and grit up front, plus in Heinen we had a player who had regressed so much he was now skating with the 5th line. It boggles my mind how anybody who watches the Bruins can still be a big fan of Heinen, he has been absolutely brutal for quite awhile now, he was bringing down every line he was on. A trade to a smaller hockey hotbed might be very beneficial for Heinen, his time in Boston had come to an end.

Heinen regressed so much that Cassidy benched him after he had 6 points in the 10 previous games.

During that same stretch:

Bjork had 4 pts.
Kuraly had 2 pts.
Wagner had 1 pt...in the 20 previous games.

But Heinen sat because he was “brutal”, or because he’s not the flavor of the month, or the Mayor of Walpole brewing his signature beer, LMFAO. It boggles my mind how people can perceive a player a certain way, even when the stats say something different.

I wonder why the kid was lacking confidence, when guys he was out-producing played while he sat for 3-4 games?

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA

Or if Marchand buries his shot on the PP instead of hitting the goalie in the chest, then the Bs go up 1-0 and it's a totally different game.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
So, question of the trade ... will both Ritchie's ever lace them up on Bruins ice together?

Not that it matters but it is a bit of an odd situation.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Heinen regressed so much that Cassidy benched him after he had 6 points in the 10 previous games.

During that same stretch:

Bjork had 4 pts.
Kuraly had 2 pts.
Wagner had 1 pt...in the 20 previous games.

But Heinen sat because he was “brutal”, or because he’s not the flavor of the month, or the Mayor of Walpole brewing his signature beer, LMFAO. It boggles my mind how people can perceive a player a certain way, even when the stats say something different.

I wonder why the kid was lacking confidence, when guys he was out-producing played while he sat for 3-4 games?

Cassidy gave him more then enough chances, he even had him on our top PP unit for a good stretch which was completely undeserved. For a so-called defensive forward, why did he never kill penalties or see the ice in the last minute trying to protect a 1 goal lead. I think the final straw for him with the coach was his compete level, it was just not good enough.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

If you just look at the volume of shots and remember all the saves Binnington made I guess you can make the argument that it was simply the case of a hot goalie stealing one, but I think if you look at the shot locations it tells a different story. I think by game 7 the Bruins were worn down physically and weren't making the sacrifices to get to the high danger areas. Most of the shots close to the net were off angle. St. Louis on the other hand scored all their goals from right between the circles. I think this supports to some degree the argument that by game 7 the Blues were the more physically assertive team and were more willing and capable of getting pucks to the slot. That's why the Bruins lost IMO, not because of Binnington (who wasn't challenged nearly as much as people claim -- maybe in terms of quantity of shots, but not quality).
shotLoc-2018030417-BOS-EV.png
shotLoc-2018030417-STL-EV.png

You can't look at those two charts and tell me that the Blues winning the physical battles wasn't a difference maker.

Reactions: Spooner st

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Tampa - Added Coleman, Greco & Goodrow while giving up two 1st + a top prospect. Their best add was Coleman who was having a career year while playing 17 minutes a night....he's a 3rd liner

Carolina - added Skjei, Vatanen, Trocheck. Not sold on Vatanen, he's a been awful defensively. Trocheck is a roughly 50pt centerman, but you have to wonder why his TOI has gone from close to 20 minutes TOI to 17 minutes TOI. Skjei is a wild card. I talk to NYR fans and they said he's regressed and many were shocked they got a 1st rounder for him. They had a ok deadline, but I don't see them as a massive threat. They also added 3 guys that we couldn't use

Islanders - The added JGP....not a huge fan as his production has increased with his increased usage in OTT. Is he going to get 20 minutes a night in New York? Not a huge add IMO.

Pittsburgh - Added Zucker, Marleau, Rodrigues and Sheary. Rodrigues and Sheary are bottom 6 forwards. Zucker was a good add, but it cost them 1st + top prospect + NHL Player. Marleau's production has dipped for a 3rd straight year. Maybe they put him with Crosby or Geno and he becomes productive again, but he's not the Marleau many think of.

So of the 4 teams you've listed, Pittsburgh probably improved the most. Tampa improved, but I don't think they improved anymore than Boston did. Carolina improved, but IDK how much better they got defensively. The islanders improved, but I don't think JGP is going to be putting up the same numbers as he did in OTT.

Is the team better than they were before the TDL? Yes and isn't that the job the GM? Remember it takes two teams to make a deal and it sounds like they had the best offer for Palmeiri, but NJD held out for a 1st (which obviously no one paid).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad