Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yeah, I get like that when I see a guy becoming a whipping boy for the team unjustly. Did it with Marchand when he was first up, with Sobotka, Wheeler, Soderberg, Wideman as well.

Not sure how far back you can go since they updated the site, but if you could you would see it. If I watch a guy, like the way he plays, and think he gets **** on too much...I will probably be sticking up for the guy.

At least I’m consistent.

Been watching, playing, coaching hockey for a long, long time and I see what I see.
I remember when Ken Hodge SR. was the whipping boy, a non physical (perceived as soft) player on a team that was tough and more than a touch dirty. Was never a fan personally but he got more grief than deserved, he also scored 50 goals, if Hienen could put up 20/20/40 and play smart D I would have no problem with him but he isn't and the fact that he can't get sent down I really think is hurting him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Heinen looks to me like a guy whose offensive confidence is shot out there. He is still playing the sound, smart two-way game as always, but some time in Providence would be good for him, I think. Since that isn't going to happen he just has to play through it and hope he gets his mojo back. I still think he's a 15-20g/25-35a guy down the line, but he is in a tough place right now.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
Heinen looks to me like a guy whose offensive confidence is shot out there. He is still playing the sound, smart two-way game as always, but some time in Providence would be good for him, I think. Since that isn't going to happen he just has to play through it and hope he gets his mojo back. I still think he's a 15-20g/25-35a guy down the line, but he is in a tough place right now.

When you are jerked around by the coach constantly, I can see how that will happen. Afraid to make mistakes or be benched.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
When you are jerked around by the coach constantly, I can see how that will happen. Afraid to make mistakes or be benched.

Agree 100%. Danton got off to a slow start on his own, and I don't even know if I blame Cassidy so much as he is in the business of winning hockey games and has to do whatever he thinks he needs to to make that happen, but it can't be helping Heinen any to know he is one tough shift from benching or playing with Noel Acciari. Again, too bad Danton can't get a couple weeks with the PBruins to pot a few goals and sort his head out.

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
Agree 100%. Danton got off to a slow start on his own, and I don't even know if I blame Cassidy so much as he is in the business of winning hockey games and has to do whatever he thinks he needs to to make that happen, but it can't be helping Heinen any to know he is one tough shift from benching or playing with Noel Acciari. Again, too bad Danton can't get a couple weeks with the PBruins to pot a few goals and sort his head out.

I don't really understand what he is looking for from him, why bother putting him up with Bergeron only to drop him to the 4th line a few shifts later. Tough for the player to know what their role is that way.

Sweeney needs to bring in a quality third center and stick Heinen next to him. He was playing his best hockey alongside JFK so maybe try that again.

Reactions: Dr Hook

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't really understand what he is looking for from him, why bother putting him up with Bergeron only to drop him to the 4th line a few shifts later. Tough for the player to know what their role is that way.

Sweeney needs to bring in a quality third center and stick Heinen next to him. He was playing his best hockey alongside JFK so maybe try that again.

There’s got to be more going on than we can see.
I mean he’s not playing much differently than when he was playing 14 minute a night.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Sophomore slump is a real thing.

I wouldn’t be opposed to moving him in the right deal, however I’d prefer to hang onto him. At worst he’s a young responsible defensive winger with some scoring touch who can give you consistent 3rd line minutes

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21
There’s got to be more going on than we can see.
I mean he’s not playing much differently than when he was playing 14 minute a night.

Agreed, and this is also on Sweeney for not addressing the gaps in his forwards as of yet. Heinen is being asked to play above his level and being penalized for not being able to do so consistently.

Reactions: Coach Parker

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
really hoping he has a beast of a game today after playing only 8 mins the other day. And more importantly I hope he's able to do it consistently. The Bruins need him to come out of this funk ASAP

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
really hoping he has a beast of a game today after playing only 8 mins the other day. And more importantly I hope he's able to do it consistently. The Bruins need him to come out of this funk ASAP

Not being a jerk and I’ve been a was for a couple of days so I haven’t really kept up but I’m wondering if he’s dressing or not?

If Marchand is back and given that every other forward played more than him on Saturday, you’d have to think there’s a chance he’s scratched.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Not being a jerk and I’ve been a was for a couple of days so I haven’t really kept up but I’m wondering if he’s dressing or not?

If Marchand is back and given that every other forward played more than him on Saturday, you’d have to think there’s a chance he’s scratched.
Last lines I saw had Donato & Acciari occupying the same spot. Acciari just had the goal in the last game & Donato only played 11 mins so I assumed Donato was sitting but who knows any more.

Reactions: sarge88

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Listen, my mancrush on Heinen is well documented, but I am capable of being objective. My son had a game Saturday night so I had to DVR the game. I watched the first period Sunday afternoon after the Pats and could not for the life of me figure out what he did to get benched.

First shift was ok, second shift was better. He made a play on the boards in the D zone and passed it over to the D to break it out. Not sure if it was that shift or the start of the third shift where he made a nice pass to Chara inside the blue line and he missed the net.

During the third shift there was a play in the NZ where Chara made a short 8-10 ft pass to Heinen just outside the blue line. Heinen stepped over the line, but both 88 and 37 were already in the zone. I think they thought Chara was going to put it deep rather than make the pass to Heinen. On the whistle Cassidy pulled Heinen off the ice and put Wagner in and he didn’t see the ice the rest of the period.

I know we can’t see everything on TV, but if someone has an idea about what he did wrong in those first three shifts, please share it because I saw nothing that would warrant a benching. I still haven’t watched periods 2 and 3, but that was after the fact.

I thought about it and one explanation I can come up with is that they saw something they didn’t like and when they brought him to the bench and addressed it, the staff didn’t like the response they got from him. Based on what I know of Heinen’s personality, that seems a bit unlikely.

The other thought I had was that if you put 37 and 88 together, they might have wanted a quick guy on the LW to mimic Marchand’s style. The problem with that idea is that 63 and 43 have completely different styles of play and it should not have even required 3 shifts for the coaches to figure that out.

Heinen did get off to a slow start, but I can’t imagine that Cassidy bouncing him around the lines, starting him on one line and moving him after a period is helping the situation any. That would hold true for almost any player I have come across at every level.

Personally, I still think Heinen is capable of being a Top 6 guy, but he isn’t playing that way right now. His slump should actually help the B’s retain him at a much lower salary if they want to keep him.

When the team is healthy, I would like to see some combo in the Top 6 of:

63, 37, 88, 74, 46, XX

The XX being a guy like Saad, Toffoli, whomever. A legit Top 6 player.

Third line of: 43-23-42/14

Fourth line of: 20-26/52-42/14

I think that Wagner has shown some offensive flashes and might be a good fit with Heinen and JFK. He can skate and forecheck and would bring some jam to the line.

Wherever Cassidy decides to utilize Heinen, I wish he would just leave him there for a period of time and see if that group can gel.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Lou just texted me and said:

43-52-14 third line today.

Heinen has shown in the past he can produce with 4th line types. Leave this line together for more than a period and see what they can do.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Agreed, and this is also on Sweeney for not addressing the gaps in his forwards as of yet. Heinen is being asked to play above his level and being penalized for not being able to do so consistently.

This.

Fix the second line hole and the young rookie/sophomore 3rd line has an entire second half of the season to gain confidence and chemistry.

Heinen/Donato - JFK/Heinen - Bjork/Donato

Find the chemistry that works and select games and moments to build them as oppose to trying to slot one in as a 2nd line RW. It doesn't work, it hasn't worked, it won't work.

Fix the hole and the 3rd and 4th lines suddenly look a lot more promising.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Today’s game:

1st Period:

First Shift (18:20-17:40): Off the draw puck gets lifted into CHI end, Heinen pressures the D who makes a bad pass that’s picked off by Krug. Heinen goes to the boards at the red line and receives the pass, slides the puck between the CHI D’s feet to try to send Kuraly and Wagner on a 2 on 1, but it’s out of his reach. The puck kicks around the NZ and gets dumped deep by Wagner, Heinen is the first guy on the puck as it wraps around and sends it behind the CHI net to 14. He loses the puck, but he and Heinen continue to forecheck, with Heinen eventually forcing a TO by DeBrincat, who looked like he may have tripped 43. The puck goes to Wagner, who was either trying to chip a backhand at the net or just get it in the corner. They change.

Second Shift (15:45-15:13): Changes for DeBrusk on the fly, nearly picks off an errant puck in the CHI zone, but Murphy is able to recover and move it out. Puck comes back in B’s end, JFK (still on ice) tries to bring it out and turn it over, back into zone, Krug retrieves and hits Heinen on the left half wall, he skates puck out of zone and slides pass to JFK who ignores it and changes, CHI gains possession but Krug takes it away in the B’s zone and gives Heinen (who has curled back) a bank pass on the NZ. He head mans it to Kuraly and takes the center lane with Kuraly carrying up the left side. He has Heinen in the middle and Kuraly right. CHI has coverage so he takes a shot from the top of the left circle (bad angle) that is deflected out of play. Line change.

Penalty kill and CHI scores on following shift on turnovers by Krejci and Krug. Bad shift for 46.

Third Shift (10:43-10:10): Faceoff in the defensive zone left dot, 43 and 14 lined up on the right, Kuraly wins draw to Grizz who chips it back to 52. He gains the line and gets it deep, Wagner gets puck in the right corner and rifles a hard pass to Heinen, who drove the net, but it was off the mark and CHI comes the other way. Heinen gets back and harasses Toews allowing Carlo to gain possession and loft it to the CHI end. There is some uneventful back and forth, Kuraly gets it and dumps it for the change.

Fourth Shift (6:40-6:18): On the fly, shift starts with a Wagner turnover that leads to a CHI shot that is blocked by Miller. Kuraly dumps the puck, which caroms off the backboards to Wagner on the left side. Heinen goes to the slot and Kuraly drives the net. As Wagner shoots, Kuraly gets knocked over with no call, but he gets called for the hand pass lol.

Fifth Shift (3:04-2:57): 52 and 14 jump on at 3:50, 74 stays on the ice because of an offensive chance, then gets stuck out there until 3:04. Grizz called for a penalty at 2:57 for a high stick. He got the stick up, but Martinsen sold it big time.

Total TOI: 2:17 ES

2nd Period:

6th Shift (18:37-17:37) Uneventful shift for Heinen, spent mostly in the B’s end after a defensive zone faceoff. The highlights of the shift were several Krug turnovers and bad passes that finally resulted in a Kuraly hooking penalty. Only thing I noticed is that when the puck was in the right corner, Heinen slides over, inside the left dot. This may be by design but it makes it hard for the wing to get to the left boards if the puck is wrapped around.

7th Shift (14:14-13:16): Faceoff in the NZ outside the CHI blueline. Another faceoff at 14:06, at the B’s line, Heinen makes a nice play off the draw, bodies Martinsen, gets the puck to Krug. He goes to Moore, who hits Heinen with a pass across the red line, as he as gone up the wing. Heinen tried to get a shot/pass towards the net, which Kuraly is driving, but it gets deflected by Seabrooke, and Wagner misses it as is comes up the boards. Heinen makes amends and busts it on the backcheck, eventually gains control and gets it to Kuraly, who brings it into the zone with Wagner. Heinen goes to the front, Kuraly keeps control in the CHI zone, but they aren’t able to do anything and CHI gains possession. Heinen backchecks again, B’s regain the puck, break it in, Heinen is open going to the net, but Wagner falls down before he can make the pass. Line changes

8th Shift (10:00-9:15): Again, Kuraly and Wagner get on before Heinen. Uneventful shift, back and forth, but nothing really happened. He could have been a bit stronger in the corner vs Seabrooke, but not bad. He sprints through the NZ at one point and Wagner attempts a chip pass, but it gets blocked.

Goal scored vs the 4th line (8:36).

9th Shift (7:45-7:00): Another back and forth shift. Neither team does much. Heinen attempts a two line pass to Wagner which is deflected, comes down into the B’s zone, but Heinen gets it back out. CHI brings it in offsides, TV timeout, line change.

With Roughly 7 minutes left, Cassidy decides to changes things up.

74-46-88, followed by 20-55-23, then 63-37-88

10th Shift (4:13-3:39): The Kuraly line remains intact. Most of shift in the Boston end after the Hawks win the faceoff and get it deep. Heinen blocks a shot from Martinsen. Forsling takes a shot from the point that Rask saves, line change.

74-46-88 again, then 20-55-23, with this becoming 20-26-55 for the defensive zone draw with 23 coming back on when the puck exits the zone. Roughing penalty.

Classic Bergeron foiling the SH breakaway then scoring the PP GTG at 1:12.

11th Shift (1:12-00:10): Bad shift all around. B’s get the puck deep, good hit by Wagner, bad pinch by Miller leads to the puck in B’s end, bad clear attempt by Rask. Heinen overskates the puck near the line and the puck stays in. Then some bad work below the goal line with turnovers by Kuraly and Miller. Finally Grizz takes a penalty on Kane (call was a little soft).

Total TOI 5:00 ES (if my math is correct).

Bettman forgets to shave, looks like a bum for his interview with Mike Tirico.

First 4 minutes of 3rd all special teams.

3rd Period:

12th Shift (16:14-15:28): After the PK and PP, it’s 43-23-74 out. Very good shift for this combo. A chance off the draw with DeBrusk putting it over the net. Puck comes back the other way, but a good breakout, 43 to 23 to 74 which leads to a good chance for Heinen from DeBrusk at the side of the net.

13th Shift (13:50-12:05): Extended shift, starting on the 2nd PP unit (46-23-43-47-27) and carrying into ES. Good puck movement, particularly by Krejci, who sets up Heinen in the slot, but he hits Ward in the chest. Heinen also sets up JFK in front, but he just misses the pass. Overall very good shift from all involved.

Some more changes by Cassidy, he reinstates 74-46-23 and with 10:00 to go has 20-52-14 as a combo. Wagner’s big hit in the corner leads to the Kuraly GWG. Good grinding line vs CHI’s 4th line.

14th Shift (7:35-6:51): Heinen comes out with 26 and 55. Back and forth action nothing of note happens.

And that was all she wrote.

TOI: 3:14 PP/ES

Total TOI: 10:31 give or take.

Solid game by Heinen, probably had his two best shifts in the 3rd period. For whatever reason, Cassidy plays a hunch with 20-52-14 and it pays off with a goal, but I don’t think this line went out because of anything Heinen did wrong.

It would appear, based on today’s game and some earlier ones, that he has some chemistry with JFK. I would like to see the B’s squire a Top 6 wing, and in the Bottom 6 go with:

43-23-42
20-52-14

Well, that was a lot of work.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Good assessment

Rather Cave at center on the fourth would be my only adjustment, he has more offensive creativity to his game than kuraly and I like him working down low in front of the net

I think this team is struggling to gel and find consistency , we’re starting to see a tad more recently so hopefully it continues but either way, so not on Heinen. I think Heinen has great offensive tools but don’t see him putting it all together at this stage in his career with the aforementioned chemistry issues up and down the line up

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Good assessment

Rather Cave at center on the fourth would be my only adjustment, he has more offensive creativity to his game than kuraly and I like him working down low in front of the net

I think this team is struggling to gel and find consistency , we’re starting to see a tad more recently so hopefully it continues but either way, so not on Heinen. I think Heinen has great offensive tools but don’t see him putting it all together at this stage in his career with the aforementioned chemistry issues up and down the line up

Kuraly has looked real good the last two games, but overall I would not mind Cave over him. I was trying to find a spot for Backes and slotted him with 43 and 23 because of his experience, but really I would rather have Wagner’s sandpaper, and forecheck with those two.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Kuraly has looked real good the last two games, but overall I would not mind Cave over him. I was trying to find a spot for Backes and slotted him with 43 and 23 because of his experience, but really I would rather have Wagner’s sandpaper, and forecheck with those two.

He has, which is great to see because I think he has a clutch mindset but his hockey iq isn’t high, and I think it’s a case where he’s in the right role for now. All things considered, I like cave’s offensive game more and think he’d be more suited to the role...but this team will be in good shape if it’s biggest problem is Cave vs kuraly for fourth line center :laugh:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Today’s game:

1st Period:

First Shift (18:20-17:40): Off the draw puck gets lifted into CHI end, Heinen pressures the D who makes a bad pass that’s picked off by Krug. Heinen goes to the boards at the red line and receives the pass, slides the puck between the CHI D’s feet to try to send Kuraly and Wagner on a 2 on 1, but it’s out of his reach. The puck kicks around the NZ and gets dumped deep by Wagner, Heinen is the first guy on the puck as it wraps around and sends it behind the CHI net to 14. He loses the puck, but he and Heinen continue to forecheck, with Heinen eventually forcing a TO by DeBrincat, who looked like he may have tripped 43. The puck goes to Wagner, who was either trying to chip a backhand at the net or just get it in the corner. They change.

Second Shift (15:45-15:13): Changes for DeBrusk on the fly, nearly picks off an errant puck in the CHI zone, but Murphy is able to recover and move it out. Puck comes back in B’s end, JFK (still on ice) tries to bring it out and turn it over, back into zone, Krug retrieves and hits Heinen on the left half wall, he skates puck out of zone and slides pass to JFK who ignores it and changes, CHI gains possession but Krug takes it away in the B’s zone and gives Heinen (who has curled back) a bank pass on the NZ. He head mans it to Kuraly and takes the center lane with Kuraly carrying up the left side. He has Heinen in the middle and Kuraly right. CHI has coverage so he takes a shot from the top of the left circle (bad angle) that is deflected out of play. Line change.

Penalty kill and CHI scores on following shift on turnovers by Krejci and Krug. Bad shift for 46.

Third Shift (10:43-10:10): Faceoff in the defensive zone left dot, 43 and 14 lined up on the right, Kuraly wins draw to Grizz who chips it back to 52. He gains the line and gets it deep, Wagner gets puck in the right corner and rifles a hard pass to Heinen, who drove the net, but it was off the mark and CHI comes the other way. Heinen gets back and harasses Toews allowing Carlo to gain possession and loft it to the CHI end. There is some uneventful back and forth, Kuraly gets it and dumps it for the change.

Fourth Shift (6:40-6:18): On the fly, shift starts with a Wagner turnover that leads to a CHI shot that is blocked by Miller. Kuraly dumps the puck, which caroms off the backboards to Wagner on the left side. Heinen goes to the slot and Kuraly drives the net. As Wagner shoots, Kuraly gets knocked over with no call, but he gets called for the hand pass lol.

Fifth Shift (3:04-2:57): 52 and 14 jump on at 3:50, 74 stays on the ice because of an offensive chance, then gets stuck out there until 3:04. Grizz called for a penalty at 2:57 for a high stick. He got the stick up, but Martinsen sold it big time.

Total TOI: 2:17 ES

2nd Period:

6th Shift (18:37-17:37) Uneventful shift for Heinen, spent mostly in the B’s end after a defensive zone faceoff. The highlights of the shift were several Krug turnovers and bad passes that finally resulted in a Kuraly hooking penalty. Only thing I noticed is that when the puck was in the right corner, Heinen slides over, inside the left dot. This may be by design but it makes it hard for the wing to get to the left boards if the puck is wrapped around.

7th Shift (14:14-13:16): Faceoff in the NZ outside the CHI blueline. Another faceoff at 14:06, at the B’s line, Heinen makes a nice play off the draw, bodies Martinsen, gets the puck to Krug. He goes to Moore, who hits Heinen with a pass across the red line, as he as gone up the wing. Heinen tried to get a shot/pass towards the net, which Kuraly is driving, but it gets deflected by Seabrooke, and Wagner misses it as is comes up the boards. Heinen makes amends and busts it on the backcheck, eventually gains control and gets it to Kuraly, who brings it into the zone with Wagner. Heinen goes to the front, Kuraly keeps control in the CHI zone, but they aren’t able to do anything and CHI gains possession. Heinen backchecks again, B’s regain the puck, break it in, Heinen is open going to the net, but Wagner falls down before he can make the pass. Line changes

8th Shift (10:00-9:15): Again, Kuraly and Wagner get on before Heinen. Uneventful shift, back and forth, but nothing really happened. He could have been a bit stronger in the corner vs Seabrooke, but not bad. He sprints through the NZ at one point and Wagner attempts a chip pass, but it gets blocked.

Goal scored vs the 4th line (8:36).

9th Shift (7:45-7:00): Another back and forth shift. Neither team does much. Heinen attempts a two line pass to Wagner which is deflected, comes down into the B’s zone, but Heinen gets it back out. CHI brings it in offsides, TV timeout, line change.

With Roughly 7 minutes left, Cassidy decides to changes things up.

74-46-88, followed by 20-55-23, then 63-37-88

10th Shift (4:13-3:39): The Kuraly line remains intact. Most of shift in the Boston end after the Hawks win the faceoff and get it deep. Heinen blocks a shot from Martinsen. Forsling takes a shot from the point that Rask saves, line change.

74-46-88 again, then 20-55-23, with this becoming 20-26-55 for the defensive zone draw with 23 coming back on when the puck exits the zone. Roughing penalty.

Classic Bergeron foiling the SH breakaway then scoring the PP GTG at 1:12.

11th Shift (1:12-00:10): Bad shift all around. B’s get the puck deep, good hit by Wagner, bad pinch by Miller leads to the puck in B’s end, bad clear attempt by Rask. Heinen overskates the puck near the line and the puck stays in. Then some bad work below the goal line with turnovers by Kuraly and Miller. Finally Grizz takes a penalty on Kane (call was a little soft).

Total TOI 5:00 ES (if my math is correct).

Bettman forgets to shave, looks like a bum for his interview with Mike Tirico.

First 4 minutes of 3rd all special teams.

3rd Period:

12th Shift (16:14-15:28): After the PK and PP, it’s 43-23-74 out. Very good shift for this combo. A chance off the draw with DeBrusk putting it over the net. Puck comes back the other way, but a good breakout, 43 to 23 to 74 which leads to a good chance for Heinen from DeBrusk at the side of the net.

13th Shift (13:50-12:05): Extended shift, starting on the 2nd PP unit (46-23-43-47-27) and carrying into ES. Good puck movement, particularly by Krejci, who sets up Heinen in the slot, but he hits Ward in the chest. Heinen also sets up JFK in front, but he just misses the pass. Overall very good shift from all involved.

Some more changes by Cassidy, he reinstates 74-46-23 and with 10:00 to go has 20-52-14 as a combo. Wagner’s big hit in the corner leads to the Kuraly GWG. Good grinding line vs CHI’s 4th line.

14th Shift (7:35-6:51): Heinen comes out with 26 and 55. Back and forth action nothing of note happens.

And that was all she wrote.

TOI: 3:14 PP/ES

Total TOI: 10:31 give or take.

Solid game by Heinen, probably had his two best shifts in the 3rd period. For whatever reason, Cassidy plays a hunch with 20-52-14 and it pays off with a goal, but I don’t think this line went out because of anything Heinen did wrong.

It would appear, based on today’s game and some earlier ones, that he has some chemistry with JFK. I would like to see the B’s squire a Top 6 wing, and in the Bottom 6 go with:

43-23-42
20-52-14

Well, that was a lot of work.
Your dedication to Danton is inspirational. What I took from this is he is a classic JAG.

Reactions: Alicat and Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad