Denmark: Danish Prospects

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I believe the cut-off date is September 15. Players born before September 15 1998 are draft eligible in the 2016 draft. Players born after that date are eligible to be drafted in 2017. I can't remember if the 15th of September swings one way or the other...
Thanks!

Arh, I don't know. They are not dominant enough to be drafted no matter what, so it will depend on how they develop this year.
Probably Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup will have the best chance of getting drafted because he is playing in USA and will be scouted a lot more than the other two who are playing in the Danish league.
But you never know. As far as I remember Lars Eller was way down the draft lists even at christmas time the year he was drafted as no. 13, and then he ended up as no. 3 on the European list just before draft time.

Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup has started much less dominant for Boston Bruins Jnr. than hoped for, so it doesn't seem likely so far that any of these three will be drafted.
Alexander True is probably best bet for a Danish draft (as an over-ager), since he definitely has the size.

Marcus Almquist. Just turned 12, but is likely the next big danish prospect. He is playing in Rødovre and is an outstanding talent. His goal to 6-1 is a beaut.
Thanks for this prospect info and for the you tube link.
Really nice goal showing great stick-handling and fine skating!

To Vikingsnuck's questions and statements:
1) also ive seen Røndbjerg play a few times now and I see big things in him.
2) how is our goalie in Calgary looking? can we expect anything?
3) can we do a list of all future prospects by year and try to rate their chances of a draft and how high they could go?
4) would love to get some more prospect talks going!

ad 1) Though I haven't seen him play from his stats but what I conclude based on what you have been telling me and other reports from around the net:
Already have good size, play mature, good in both offense and defense!
So with the right mentality and hard work (and luck to avoid injuries) his future does look very promising!

ad 2) Our goalie in Canada: Lasse Munk Pedersen got a shutout in his first WHL match for "Calgary Hitmen".
Only faced 19 shots, but still a good start!
Source: http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/rookie-petersen-blanks-pats-in-whl-debut

ad 3) Great idea, though it sounds like a lot of work for Valdemar, since he is the one that sees some of them in action or at least has the connections to hear about them!

ad 4) Yessss, Sir.....starting now!
I posted in 2013, that Rødovre had some great success in playing other Scandinavian teams in the Lilla Resport Trophy U13 and they lost in OT in the final and had two prolific goal scores (born 2001).
Mads Redøhl and Alberto Stærmose.
Source: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1512249

So any sightings of these two Rødovre players? (eliteprospects has added them, but no real info yet).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=386874
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=386875

Last edited:

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
wow wow dominant!

is he the next big thing?

also I've seen Røndbjerg play a few times now and I see big things in him, whats your take on him?
its been a bit quiet talking about future big ones:)

how is our goalie in Calgary looking? can we expect anything?

can we do a list of all future prospects by year and try to rate their chances of a draft and how high they could go?

would love to get some more prospect talks going!

Yes, I believe that Marcus Almquist has every chance to be the "next big thing". If we should compare him to other Danish players, we would need to pick on the top shelf; actually i believe only Mikkel Bødker and Frans Nielsen have been this dominant when they were his age.
BUT BUT BUT, a LOT can happen before year 2021 when he is eligible for the NHL entry draft (and had he been 3 days younger he would have had to wait till 2022).

Jonas Røndbjerg is another high end prospect. Like Marcus he has had the advantage to play on strong teams as a junior player, and has also been utterly dominant compared to players his own age. He seems to have had a good start this year in the best Danish league, and I hope he can put up points similar to what Oliver Bjorkstrand did when he was playing in the same league at the same age. Actually I like to compare Jonas to Oliver; they seem to be similar in play-style (responsible two way players with a knack for finding the goal). I expect him to be picked high in the 2017 NHL draft if everything goes as planned.

Lasse M. Petersen has looked really good in the 2 games he has played for Calgary Hitmen. Actually there is a logjam at the goal tender position in Hitmen this year. Overager Brendan Burke, who has recently been released from Anaheim Ducks camp, was expected to be the starting goalie, but the two other goalies in the organization; Lasse Petersen and Kyle Dumba has both been playing really well in the preseason games, so it has not been easy for the coach to choose a starting goalie, now the season has started. But if Lasse keeps playing this well he will get a lot of games I'm sure.

When I get the time I'll try to update my list of Danish prospects, but it will not be the next couple of weeks , I simply got too much work to do.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yes, I believe that Marcus Almquist has every chance to be the "next big thing". If we should compare him to other Danish players, we would need to pick on the top shelf; actually i believe only Mikkel Bødker and Frans Nielsen have been this dominant when they were his age.
BUT BUT BUT, a LOT can happen before year 2021 when he is eligible for the NHL entry draft (and had he been 3 days younger he would have had to wait till 2022).

Jonas Røndbjerg is another high end prospect. Like Marcus he has had the advantage to play on strong teams as a junior player, and has also been utterly dominant compared to players his own age. He seems to have had a good start this year in the best Danish league, and I hope he can put up points similar to what Oliver Bjorkstrand did when he was playing in the same league at the same age. Actually I like to compare Jonas to Oliver; they seem to be similar in play-style (responsible two way players with a knack for finding the goal). I expect him to be picked high in the 2017 NHL draft if everything goes as planned.

Lasse M. Petersen has looked really good in the 2 games he has played for Calgary Hitmen. Actually there is a logjam at the goal tender position in Hitmen this year. Overager Brendan Burke, who has recently been released from Anaheim Ducks camp, was expected to be the starting goalie, but the two other goalies in the organization; Lasse Petersen and Kyle Dumba has both been playing really well in the preseason games, so it has not been easy for the coach to choose a starting goalie, now the season has started. But if Lasse keeps playing this well he will get a lot of games I'm sure.

When I get the time I'll try to update my list of Danish prospects, but it will not be the next couple of weeks , I simply got too much work to do.

awesome, thanks alot Valdemar!

Gonna be watching some jr hockey over the next few weeks, so ill see what I can muster.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Anyone with knowledge about the biggest prospects after 1999? :)

And it will be exciting to see, Jonas Røndbjerg and Nikolaj Krag at J20 and J18 World Juniors! - I think they both will make it.
They will have a chance to show themselves for CHL and NHL scouts!

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Anyone with knowledge about the biggest prospects after 1999? :)

And it will be exciting to see, Jonas Røndbjerg and Nikolaj Krag at J20 and J18 World Juniors! - I think they both will make it.
They will have a chance to show themselves for CHL and NHL scouts!

Valdemar is our expert and he made a list on page 3 in this thread.
If you mean "make it" you mean the J20.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Alexander True is not that far from being ppg in the WHL. Pretty surprised by that. He seemed big and energeticbut quite limited at the u20 last time around. but he is producing both goals and assists now.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Updated prospect list for the years 1998 to 2002

Here is my updated list of the best Danish prospects seen from my point of view.

As I have written before: The information is gathered from around the web (statistically data, game reports and articles), and is not based on first hand viewing.

I have included the 2002 born players in this list, and a single player from 2003 that I have also found worth mention.

I have divided the players into 2 groups; "Top prospects" for the very best players, and "Honourable mention" for the runner ups. Within the groups they are arranged in alphabetical order.

As I have been declaring before; this list is far from perfect and a lot can happen before the players grows out of their teens.

Players born in 1998: I like very much what I have seen of the 1998 born players until now. It is a birth year with a lot of debth on both the forward and the defense position. Actually if we disregard that the talent on the goalie position is average, this birthyear is close to the 1995 birthyear in terms of overall talent. When we look at depth, I believe this could be the best even-year group of prospects we have ever had in Denmark. There are 3-4 players that could potentially be drafted to the NHL this spring, but non of them are locks to be drafted, so they all need to have a "break out" year if this should happen.

Top prospects
F Joachim Blichfeld, Malmö (SWE) (1998-07-17, 187/80)
F Nikolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre (1998-08-12, 180/80)
F Daniel Nielsen, Herning (1998-03-31, 170/75)
F Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Boston Jr. Bruins (USA) (1998-01-14, 183/86)

Honorable mention
D Victor Tobias Hansen, Rødovre (1998-07-05, 192/92)
D Rasmus Birk Heine, Rødovre (1998-02-20, 185/90)
D Jakob Jessen, Herning (1998-08-04, 179/83)
D Oliver Joakim Larsen, Odense (1998-12-25, 190/94)
F Christian Wejse Mathiasen, Esbjerg (1998-12-04, 186/88)
D Oliver Gatz Nielsen, AaB (1998-10-06, 181/88)

Players born in 1999: After an odd-birthyear (1997) that was weaker than usual on the forward position, I believe we are back to normal with the 1999 birthyear. We have a good debth overall and 3 forward prospects who are at a level above the rest. We have talked about Jonas Røndbjerg before and he is still my favorite to be NHL drafted next year. We can probably compare his level of talent to that of Oliver Bjorkstrand.

Top prospects
F Lucas Andersen, Rødovre (1999-01-30, 180/70)
F Andreas Grundtvig, Rødovre (1999-01-14, 178/75)
F Jonas Rønbjerg, Rungsted (1999-03-31, 184/80)

Honorable mention
D Daniel Baastrup-Andersen, Linköping (SWE) (1999-07-23, 178/79)
D Victor Andersen, Herning (1999-01-13, 190/86)
F Christoffer Gath, Herlev (1999-07-06, 180/75)
F David Madsen, The Hill Academy U16 Prep (USA) (1999-01-25, 182/82)

Players born in 2000: I have been pretty high on the year 2000 birth year, but regrettably they have not quite lived up to it. They are not as dominant as I have hoped for, but of course it is still early in their career. This birth year seems a lot stronger on the forward position that on the defense.

Top prospects
F Mikkel Bertelsen, Frederikshavn (2000-00-00, -/-)
F Andreas Kleist Christiansen, Esbjerg (2000-00-00, -/-)
F Nicklas Jensen, Herlev (2000-05-24, -/-)

Honourable mention
F Simon Sejerø Golbert, Herlev (2000-02-21, 166/55)
F Frederik Langhans Kaels, Rødovre (2000-03-21, 170/54)
F William Nistrup Madsen, Rungsted (2000-00-00, -/-)
F Oliver True, Rungsted (2000-00-00, -/-)

Players born in 2001: It is still early for an evaluation of the year group in general, but I like what I have seen from some of the prospects born in 2001. Specially Alberto Pison Stærmose from Rødovre has shown deft and skill and could be the best prospect in this group. All in all a talented group, but we will get to know them better when the best players next year starts playing against men in the danish second tier (1. division).

Top prospects
F Jonathan Brinkman Andersen, AaB (2001-00-00, -/-)
F Christian Kongsbak Dreier, Frederikshavn (2001-06-04, -/-)
F Mads Ulrik Redøhl, Rødovre (2001-01-11, 170/55)
F Alberto Pison Stærmose, Rødovre (2001-04-28, 157/55)

Honourable mention
F Nicolai Harries Andersen, Rungsted (2001-04-05, -/-)
F Anders Biel, Vojens (2001-00-00, -/-)
D Jonas Brøndberg, AaB (2001-00-00, -/-)
F Victor Lodahl, Herning (2001-00-00, -/-)
F Nicolai Luplau, Rødovre (2001-02-07, 172/57)
F Simon Schleicher, Herning (2001-00-00, -/-)

Players born in 2002: At the moment this seems like a "normal" even birth year. There are some interesting prospects, but it is somewhat weaker that the 2001 birth year.

Top prospects
F Peter Lauritzen, Herlev (2002-01-22, -/-)
F Jeppe Müller, Vojens (2002-00-00, -/-)

Honourable mention
F Carl Almlund, Rungsted (2002-04-15, 160/40)
F Simon Aasmul, Hvidovre (2002-00-00, -/-)
F Lukas Bang, Herning (2002-00-00, -/-)
F Andreas Sejerø Golbert, Herlev (2002-09-26, -/-)
F Alex Haunstofte, Rødovre (2002-11-02, -/-)
F Magnus Lykke Jonassen, Rødovre (2002-08-22, -/-)
F Lucas Møller Nielsen, Amar (2002-00-00, -/-)

Players born in 2003: For now I will only mention 1 player born in 2003. I mentioned him a short time ago, because he seems like an extraordinary talent.

Top prospects
F Marcus Almquist, Rødovre (2003-09-13, -/-)

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Great at always, Valdemar!!

When it comes to 1998 players I don't think anyone (yet) has shown the play needed to get drafted (Alexander True as an over-ager being the best chance in my opinion).

With the 1999 players how close is Lucas Andersen and Andreas Grundtvig in skill level to Jonas Røndbjerg (or is Røndbjerg in a category of his own)?

I see you mention a lot of top prospects in the 2000 group, compared with the other years - with the caveat that they have disappointed a bit so far. So you think it's is usually strong in forward depth, but perhaps lacks the real breakout players (likely draft-worthy)?

You also answered my earlier question in this thread, about Alberto Pison Stærmose and Mads Ulrik Redøhl from Rødovre, as being great 2001 prospects.

When it comes to d-men it seems 1996-1997 (Matias Lassen, Christian Mieritz as examples) have unusual good depth compared to general Danish draft years.
With young players it's often quite hard to predict though, whether they will become good d-men or not.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Great at always, Valdemar!!

When it comes to 1998 players I don't think anyone (yet) has shown the play needed to get drafted (Alexander True as an over-ager being the best chance in my opinion).

With the 1999 players how close is Lucas Andersen and Andreas Grundtvig in skill level to Jonas Røndbjerg (or is Røndbjerg in a category of his own)?

I see you mention a lot of top prospects in the 2000 group, compared with the other years - with the caveat that they have disappointed a bit so far. So you think it's is usually strong in forward depth, but perhaps lacks the real breakout players (likely draft-worthy)?

You also answered my earlier question in this thread, about Alberto Pison Stærmose and Mads Ulrik Redøhl from Rødovre, as being great 2001 prospects.

When it comes to d-men it seems 1996-1997 (Matias Lassen, Christian Mieritz as examples) have unusual good depth compared to general Danish draft years.
With young players it's often quite hard to predict though, whether they will become good d-men or not.

Thank you :)

Lucas Andersen and Andreas Grundtvig are behind Jonas Røndbjerg in skill level, but to me Jonas is less above Lucas and Andreas as they are above the rest.

You are right about the 2000 born players, I had too many players mentioned. I have now reduced the amount, so it better reflects the real strength of that birth year.

There are some really good prospects in the 2001 birth year and Alberto Pison Stærmose and Mads Ulrik Redøhl from Rødovre are certainly in the top.

Birth year 1996 and 1997 have good top D-men prospects, but 1998 seems to have amazingly depth. It maybe lacks that 1 exceptional deference-man who can become a star, but the reat are at a real high level.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Birth year 1996 and 1997 have good top D-men prospects, but 1998 seems to have amazingly depth. It maybe lacks that 1 exceptional deference-man who can become a star, but the rest are at a real high level.

Yeah I see you have 5 (!) d-men in the honorable mention category for 1998. That IS far over the usual "quota".

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Just three Danes on this list:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=789295

Matias Lassen, Jeppe Jul Korsgaard and Nikolaj Krag Christensen - unless I missed someone playing outside of Denmark

And all of them rated C, which should mean that they are very unlikely to get drafted. That being said, I have been impressed with Krag Christensen's progress this season.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Just three Danes on this list:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=789295

Matias Lassen, Jeppe Jul Korsgaard and Nikolaj Krag Christensen - unless I missed someone playing outside of Denmark

And all of them rated C, which should mean that they are very unlikely to get drafted. That being said, I have been impressed with Krag Christensen's progress this season.

Glad to hear that you are impressed with Nikolaj Krag Christensen's progress this year, it is difficult to see it through the scoreboard.

You are missing Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Boston Jr. Bruins (USA) who is also rated as a C.

It could be fun to get Matias Lassen drafted now that he has been passed over the last 2 years. He must be doing really well in Sweden to be put on this list.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So it doesnt look like we have any top class prospects in the running?

This is just a question, so easy before people paint me with the negative marker.

But are our "glory" days over?

A bit dissapointed to see schmidt rated c.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

This is just a question, so easy before people paint me with the negative marker.

Well hopefully Røndbjerg can return the glory days in 1999 draft! [Alexander True - + perhaps Matias Lassen as Valdemar said - might have a slim chance of getting a late draft as over agers].
We only have the depth to produce maybe one real NHL draft prospect every 1-2 years or so, so I think so long they come in a steady stream (trickle) it looks good.

I had hoped for a much better start to the season for Schmidt-Svejstrup as he looked very promising the last couple of years. This slow start could be the reason for the C-rating.
Has has been heating up lately for the Boston Jr. Bruins, though:
So now 8G 3A in 15 games (eliteprospects.com) - so can he continue this scoring streak maybe he will get upgraded!

Last edited:

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007

Well hopefully Røndbjerg can return the glory days in 1999 draft! [Alexander True - + perhaps Matias Lassen as Valdemar said - might have a slim chance of getting a late draft as over agers].
We only have the depth to produce maybe one real NHL draft prospect every 1-2 years or so, so I think so long they come in a steady stream (trickle) it looks good.

I had hoped for a much better start to the season for Schmidt-Svejstrup as he looked very promising the last couple of years. This slow start could be the reason for the C-rating.
Has has been heating up lately for the Boston Jr. Bruins, though:
So now 8G 3A in 15 games (eliteprospects.com) - so can he continue this scoring streak maybe he will get upgraded!

I am also disappointed that Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup didn't get a B rating, he was praised a lot last season and had an impressive production. This season he is not producing as much as last season, but part of it can be contributed to the fact that he is playing in USPHL Premier that practically is a U21 league. He probably started out in a minor role on the team and has then been "promoted" to a better line that allows him to produce more. It seems like his production is OK for a player his age in that league, but of course we had hoped for more. :)

I believe Denmark is producing the number of NHL draftees that can be expected, we maybe even produce more than could be anticipated when we look at total number of active hockey players. If we disregard the exceptional 1989 birth year, we can only expect to produce 1 NHL level prospect every 1-2 years as Justinov is writing. Birth year 90, 91 and 92 didn't produce a single NHL drafted player, so it would not be strange if we now have a birth year or two that is not giving us a NHL caliber player.

The danish clubs are really good at developing players, but we have reached the limit of what is possible with the current number of players and teams in Denmark. If we are to significantly improve the level of talent we can produce, we need to

• expand the number of clubs
  • expand the number of active players in each club
  • improve the facilities at the clubs
  • getting more money for youth development

None of the above is likely to happen soon, we can only hope that the 2018 WC that is going to take place in Denmark or the 2018 olympics can spark an interest in this fantastic game.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I am also disappointed that Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup didn't get a B rating, he was praised a lot last season and had an impressive production. This season he is not producing as much as last season, but part of it can be contributed to the fact that he is playing in USPHL Premier that practically is a U21 league. He probably started out in a minor role on the team and has then been "promoted" to a better line that allows him to produce more. It seems like his production is OK for a player his age in that league, but of course we had hoped for more. :)

I believe Denmark is producing the number of NHL draftees that can be expected, we maybe even produce more than could be anticipated when we look at total number of active hockey players. If we disregard the exceptional 1989 birth year, we can only expect to produce 1 NHL level prospect every 1-2 years as Justinov is writing. Birth year 90, 91 and 92 didn't produce a single NHL drafted player, so it would not be strange if we now have a birth year or two that is not giving us a NHL caliber player.

The danish clubs are really good at developing players, but we have reached the limit of what is possible with the current number of players and teams in Denmark. If we are to significantly improve the level of talent we can produce, we need to

• expand the number of clubs
  • expand the number of active players in each club
  • improve the facilities at the clubs
  • getting more money for youth development

None of the above is likely to happen soon, we can only hope that the 2018 WC that is going to take place in Denmark or the 2018 olympics can spark an interest in this fantastic game.

Agree on all parts, my point was really that I dont think DIU has done enough to take advantage of how far Danish hockey has come on the intl. stage.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Agree on all parts, my point was really that I dont think DIU has done enough to take advantage of how far Danish hockey has come on the intl. stage.

I think the real issue is at the communal level. You have to "convince local politicians" to start building rinks; but it is very hard to convince a commune to do that, if you basically have no players around. Since Denmark is not a country where you often can play outdoors, then without a rink you basically can't have any players. Lack of rinks is why original Danish hockey-towns Silkeborg and Horsens faltered, since occasional playing on frozen lakes didn't cut it in the long run [Silkeborg is trying to make a come-back, see below]. No players, no tradition for it and no pressure to build any rinks. So the obvious choice is going for a combined indoor arena (so you can play handball, basketball, volleyball and badminton all in the same place) instead of a rink (only figure skating, curling and icehockey being really options though short track speed skating should be something Denmark could go for as well). So for a "utilitarian point" of view the combined indoor arena will win almost every time over an ice rink.

The building boom of the 60-70's was the reason that many towns got indoor facilities - mostly badminton and handball (yet also a few in Icehockey), but money to spend hasn't been around really afterwards! So if you "missed the rink" in the 60-70's you basically missed the train.
New rinks are basically only build to replace old rinks in towns with already established ice hockey on older rinks.
That's why I'm really happy for the Silkeborg comeback as they finally got a rink at Silkeborg Sportcenter ! [just came around 50 years later than it should have].
So let's hope for a Horsens comeback as well [they existed from 1940's to 1979]......

Silkeborg U9 is coming - success based on another "future Finnish legend coach" Oona Peltonen [so Karvinen in Rødovre shouldn't feel alone]
Source: (Danish): http://www.ssf1896.dk/index.php?mac...cleid=241&cntnt01origid=45&cntnt01returnid=45

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Round 18-19-20-21:

So could SønderjydskE turn the tide and recover from their losing streak?

Rungsted - SønderjydskE 2-1 SO [Shots 26-56; Jonas Røndbjerg with SO winner].
No, Rungsted again shows they are on the right track and backup goalie Sebastian Feuk saved 55 out of 56 Shots!
SønderjydskE had 7 PP (Rungsted none) and they scored on only 1 of them right as the time went out, which probably explains their massive 56 shots on goal.

The above from another thread.

Last night Jonas Røndbjerg had the SO winner in a difficult game against Danish champion SE. To add a little extra to the story, he actually was third and fourth shooter in the SO and scored on both chances. He has scored before in SO and in a game a short time ago he had a breakaway where he also buried it. Furthermore he is defensively responsable. I am wondering; is he developing into a new Frans Nielsen :laugh:

We are now almost halfway into the season in the best Danish league and Jonas Røndbjerg is establishing himself as a profile in the league. With 8 goals and 4 assists in 20 games, he is second in point production on his team; Rungsted, and with +8 he is also second in +/-. He is now playing on the first line alongside some very experienced players; Morten Green and Nikolaj Rosenthal, and I'm sure he is learning a lot.

With a year and a half till the 2017 NHL draft, the question is; should he continue playing in the best Danish league, or should he do the same as Oliver Bjorkstrand and move to NA the year up to the draft?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The above from another thread.

Last night Jonas Røndbjerg had the SO winner in a difficult game against Danish champion SE. To add a little extra to the story, he actually was third and fourth shooter in the SO and scored on both chances. He has scored before in SO and in a game a short time ago he had a breakaway where he also buried it. Furthermore he is defensively responsable. I am wondering; is he developing into a new Frans Nielsen :laugh:

We are now almost halfway into the season in the best Danish league and Jonas Røndbjerg is establishing himself as a profile in the league. With 8 goals and 4 assists in 20 games, he is second in point production on his team; Rungsted, and with +8 he is also second in +/-. He is now playing on the first line alongside some very experienced players; Morten Green and Nikolaj Rosenthal, and I'm sure he is learning a lot.

With a year and a half till the 2017 NHL draft, the question is; should he continue playing in the best Danish league, or should he do the same as Oliver Bjorkstrand and move to NA the year up to the draft?

Yeah it is quite impressive that he seemingly outshines Green and Rosenthal (that both have disappointed so far in the league - they should be way more dominant)

I'm thinking if he is a "Frans Nielsen clone" he should in my opinion go to Sweden to become a solid defensive forward. So probably starting in Allsvenskan next year to get enough playing time? He would likely learn a lot more defensive tactics playing in Allsvenskan among men than in the Canadian Junior Leagues.
So instead of a boom/bust goalscorer he could be a "classic Danish 3rd liner".

If he goes for maximizing point production and exposure for drafting, then he must go the one of the three major NA youth leagues.
Go for glory or go for safer all rounded skill-set?

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Røndbjerg is not the strongest skater, but he have an incredible hockey-IQ. I think the smartest way for him is NA, because he need skating-improvement if he have any thoughts about NHL.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I think the real issue is at the communal level. You have to "convince local politicians" to start building rinks; but it is very hard to convince a commune to do that, if you basically have no players around. Since Denmark is not a country where you often can play outdoors, then without a rink you basically can't have any players. Lack of rinks is why original Danish hockey-towns Silkeborg and Horsens faltered, since occasional playing on frozen lakes didn't cut it in the long run [Silkeborg is trying to make a come-back, see below]. No players, no tradition for it and no pressure to build any rinks. So the obvious choice is going for a combined indoor arena (so you can play handball, basketball, volleyball and badminton all in the same place) instead of a rink (only figure skating, curling and icehockey being really options though short track speed skating should be something Denmark could go for as well). So for a "utilitarian point" of view the combined indoor arena will win almost every time over an ice rink.

The building boom of the 60-70's was the reason that many towns got indoor facilities - mostly badminton and handball (yet also a few in Icehockey), but money to spend hasn't been around really afterwards! So if you "missed the rink" in the 60-70's you basically missed the train.
New rinks are basically only build to replace old rinks in towns with already established ice hockey on older rinks.
That's why I'm really happy for the Silkeborg comeback as they finally got a rink at Silkeborg Sportcenter ! [just came around 50 years later than it should have].
So let's hope for a Horsens comeback as well [they existed from 1940's to 1979]......

Silkeborg U9 is coming - success based on another "future Finnish legend coach" Oona Peltonen [so Karvinen in Rødovre shouldn't feel alone]
Source: (Danish): http://www.ssf1896.dk/index.php?mac...cleid=241&cntnt01origid=45&cntnt01returnid=45

I will give you a proper answer soon Justi, have been swamped lately, but I am really interested in giving a proper response as I find this an interesting discussion.

Dec 13, 2010
Schmidt has done well in the USPHL this year, his production has been great in NA because he has an elite NHL-caliber shot but other than that I don't see any other part of his game warranting a draft pick. He does have the hype though.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Schmidt has done well in the USPHL this year, his production has been great in NA because he has an elite NHL-caliber shot but other than that I don't see any other part of his game warranting a draft pick. He does have the hype though.

I agree!

And he was not a part of last seasons J18 national team as an J17 player. Normally the danish draftees plays at least 2 J18 World Junior Tournaments and maybe 3 J20 World Junior Tournaments.

I think Schmidt will play 1 J18 WJC and 1 J20 WJC, but who knows? Maybe he is a little under the radar for the danish national coaches? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad