Denmark: Danish Prospects

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I believe we could use a thread about Danish prospects. It is perfectly fine that we have separate threads about key players, but I have missed a place where we could post general information or notes regarding certain events or players that doesn’t justice a thread for itself.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I have been asked several times about a list of the most interesting prospects in the Danish junior system. I have posted lists on other parts of the forum in the past, but can see that they maybe are outdated now. And furthermore I consider it better to have the most current list in this sub forum.

Please remember; I am just an amateur with a love for hockey. I could be dead wrong with my lists, so take it for what it is; a list of some of the Danish junior players to keep an eye on in the future.

There are a majority of forwards in my list. It doesn’t mean that there are few talented D-men or goalies, but that they are much more difficult to spot young. I have limited myself to the 7-8 most important talents in each birth year. There are many other talented players and some of them will probably surpass several of the players I have listed. Also you cannot see the depth of talent in each birth year; I’ll try to evaluate that in another post.

In this post I have just listed the players. I don’t have the time right now to comment on each player, so that must wait a little. But feel free to make your own comments, I’ll be happy for any feed back I get.

Let’s divide the prospects into two groups, according to how far they will reach if everything pans out right;

Top prospects: Players who could be picked in the NHL draft, and will likely play at an International level most of their career.
Honorable mention: Players who probably won’t be taken in the NHL draft. Still their talent is good enough to at least become a profile in the best Danish league and with the chance of becoming a regular in SWE, DEL and the like.

Players born in 1996:
Top prospects
Nikolaj Ehlers, Halifax Mooseheads (CAN) (F)
Matias Lassen, Rødovre (D)
Thomas Lillie, Vojens (G)

Honorable mention
Jeppe Vinther, Frederikshavn (D), 2015 draft
Thomas Olsen, Frölunda (SWE) (F)
Markus Jensen, Herning (F)
Emil Grandal Skjoldager, Herning (F)
Anders Krogsgaard, Esbjerg (D)

Players who could get drafted in the 2014 NHL draft besides the 1996 born players:
George Sørensen, Herning (G) 1995, 2nd time NHL draft eligible
Mikkel Aagaard Hansen, Frederikshavn (F) 1995, late born

Players born in 1997:
Top prospects
Morten Jensen, Rögle (SWE) (D)
Nicolai Höjer Weichel, Malmö (SWE) (D), 2016 draft
Rasmus Thykjær Andersson, Malmö (SWE) (F)

Honorable mention
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, AaB (F), 2016 draft
Alexander True, Rungsted (F)
Nicklas Andersen, Esbjerg (F), 2016 draft
Christian Mieritz, Rødovre (D), 2016 draft

Players born in 1998:
Top prospects
Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Selects Hockey Academy (USA) (F)
Christian Gade, Rungsted (F)
Jonas Sander, Hvidovre (F), 2017 draft
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre (F)

Honorable mention
Joachim Blichfeld, Frederikshavn (F)
Marcus Dalmark Pedersen, Frederikshavn (F)
Magnus Molge, Malmö (SWE) (F)
Daniel Nielsen, Vojens (F)
Jakob Jessen, Herning (D)

Players born in 1999:
Top prospects
Jonas Rønbjerg, Rungsted (F)
Lucas Andersen, Rødovre (F)
Christoffer Gath, Herlev (F)

Honorable mention
Andreas Grundtvig, Rødovre (F)
David Madsen, Vojens (F)
Marcus Bunch Nissen, Herning (F)
Malte S. Setkov, Rødovre (D)

Players born in 2000:
Top prospects
Nicklas Jensen, Herlev (F)
Mikkel Bertelsen, Frederikshavn (F)
Oliver True, Rungsted (F)

Honorable mention
Simon Sejerø Golbert, Herlev (F)
Gustav Green, Rungsted (F)
William Nistrup Madsen, Rungsted (F)
Frederik Langhans Kaels, Rødovre (F)
Andreas Kleist Christiansen, Esbjerg (D/F)

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Great job Valdemar!!
Very much appreciated!

Is it your personal opinion with top prospects & honourable mention, or is it also mixed with general views from those who see these kids play?

The prospect group has many Copenhagen based players not only from Rødovre. Rungsted and Herlev seems also really to be a great producers!
So clearly no longer a Rødovre/Herning dominance but much more spread out!

After the Rødovre U13 playing in Sweden.
Mads Redøhl and Alberto Stærmose could be added as 2001 prospects with their production!

PS: Rasmus Thykjær Andersson (2 ss's in Swedish "-son" names if the patronym ends in -s).

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Great job Valdemar!!
Very much appreciated!

Is it your personal opinion with top prospects & honourable mention, or is it also mixed with general views from those who see these kids play?

The prospect group has many Copenhagen based players not only from Rødovre. Rungsted and Herlev seems also really to be a great producers!

Mads Redøhl and Alberto Stærmose could be added as 2001 prospects with their production!

PS: Rasmus Thykjær Andersson (2 ss's in Swedish "-son" names if the patronym ends in -s).

Thank you, Justinov!

I have corrected Andersson, it was a typo.

The list is all mine, and all the mistakes are therefor mine :)
I have based it on stats, articles and comments from around the web. I haven't seen them play first hand, and those who want to disregard the list because of that, feel free to do so. I have followed Danish junior hockey closely for 6 years, and dividing the players into top prospects & honourable mention is more "gut feeling" than anything else.

Yes, it seems like other hockey clubs than Rødovre/Herning are catching up on the junior player development. In Jutland, Vojens is doing a great job, but also AaB and Esbjerg has improved specially with the younger players. On Sealand I have been most impressed with Rungsted, they have really raised the bar for youth development. Also Herlev is doing well. They have a lot of promising prospects U15 and younger.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Thank you, Justinov!

I have corrected Andersson, it was a typo.

The list is all mine, and all the mistakes are therefor mine :)
I have based it on stats, articles and comments from around the web. I haven't seen them play first hand, and those who want to disregard the list because of that, feel free to do so. I have followed Danish junior hockey closely for 6 years, and dividing the players into top prospects & honourable mention is more "gut feeling" than anything else..

What is the general trend on the strength of each year-class.

1989 is still the leading year, and 1995 also looked to have a good depth though only Oliver Bjørkstrand got drafted.

So how does it look 1996-2000 - who could have possible NHL chances (besides Ehlers that is a given) and what is the overall depth comparison?!

Since it seems that odd years have been generally better than even years for some strange reason?!

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Great job Valdemar!!
Very much appreciated!

What ever happened to his big brother André?

Great thread Valdemar! Great inside!

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
What is the general trend on the strength of each year-class.

1989 is still the leading year, and 1995 also looked to have a good depth though only Oliver Bjørkstrand got drafted.

So how does it look 1996-2000 - who could have possible NHL chances (besides Ehlers that is a given) and what is the overall depth comparison?!

Since it seems that odd years have been generally better than even years for some strange reason?!

Yes it is strange, but odd years have been much better than even years.

I’ll make this a short answer, and this is going to be my personal opinion.

I will be starting from birth year 1989.

1989: Strongest year class ever in regard to high end prospects, but not the deepest.
1990: Rather weak birth year both in regard to high end prospects and depth.
1991: Good deep birth year, but few high end prospects.
1992: Good depth in defense, but not in forwards, few high end prospects.
1993: Very good both in high end prospects and depth, but mostly regarding forwards.
1994: Not deep but OK in high end prospects.
1995: Very good both in high end prospects and depth.
1996: Very good both in high end prospects and depth, but not quite as good as 1995.
1997: Good in depth but not quite as good in high end prospects, somewhat weaker than 1996.
1998: Very good in high end prospects and good depth, almost as good as 1996.
1999: Very good both in high end prospects and depth, very promising; could be as good as 1995.
2000: Very good both in high end prospects and depth, very promising; could be as good as 1995.

I firmly believe that all players in the "Top prospects" category will have a chance of getting drafted, but it is very hard to predict so early. In 2015 Morten Jensen, Rögle (SWE) (D) is my favorite to be drafted. He has been in a league of his own almost all his junior career.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yes it is strange, but odd years have been much better than even years.

I’ll make this a short answer, and this is going to be my personal opinion.

I will be starting from birth year 1989.

1989: Strongest year class ever in regard to high end prospects, but not the deepest.
1990: Rather weak birth year both in regard to high end prospects and depth.
1991: Good deep birth year, but few high end prospects.
1992: Good depth in defense, but not in forwards, few high end prospects.
1993: Very good both in high end prospects and depth, but mostly regarding forwards.
1994: Not deep but OK in high end prospects.
1995: Very good both in high end prospects and depth.
1996: Very good both in high end prospects and depth, but not quite as good as 1995.
1997: Good in depth but not quite as good in high end prospects, somewhat weaker than 1996.
1998: Very good in high end prospects and good depth, almost as good as 1996.
1999: Very good both in high end prospects and depth, very promising; could be as good as 1995.
2000: Very good both in high end prospects and depth, very promising; could be as good as 1995.

I firmly believe that all players in the "Top prospects" category will have a chance of getting drafted, but it is very hard to predict so early. In 2015 Morten Jensen, Rögle (SWE) (D) is my favorite to be drafted. He has been in a league of his own almost all his junior career.

Great list again Valdemar!!
If we also take 1988 I remember we got Nichlas Hardt from that year, but I cant pinpoint anyone else.
But it seems the coming draft years looks really good :handclap: - and that 1996 & 1998 & 2000 can break the trend.
Might it be something with having U11-U13-U15-U17 that influence this?
With regards to 2015 draft and Morten Jensen - if he keeps growing and bulking up then he might have a good chance. (listed 1.80 and 71 kg). Rasmus T. Andersson has also been promising, but might not entirely be NHL level in production (yet).

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
After the Danish U18 national teams participation in the U18 4 Nations Tournament - Füssen (GER) this week-end, I better add another 1996 born player to the honorable mention group in post #2:

Søren Nielsen, Esbjerg (F)

He has been the most point producing player in the 5 games the national team has played so far this season with 6 goals and 4 assists. I hope he can get his production going also in the best Danish league.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Matias Lassen

A little belated news:

Denmark's big defense prospect Matias Lassen, Rødovre, has been injured and need surgery. He will be out for 6-8 month. This is most unfortunate, as it will make it much more difficult for him to get drafted next summer.

Since he is a key player on the national junior teams, it will hurt them as well. He will miss the U-20 WJC D1, and most likely also the U18 WJC.

I wish him a speedy recovery, and hope he will return even stronger and better than before.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Danish U16 National team 2013/2014

On forums.internationalhockey.net I have posted about the Danish U16 National team 2013/2014, and I thought I better post it here also.

This is not the official U16 team, but how I predict it could look like. My team consists of 3 Goaltenders, 8 D-men, and 14 Forwards. In my opinion this years team could be stronger than the one we had last year. It seems deeper as it has been easier to pick players for the bottom lines than earlier.

Goaltending: The goaltending is solid but rather ordinary, and probably at around the same level as last year. I believe that Mark Brejnrod will be the starting goaltender, he seems a little above the rest.

D-men: The D-corpse is good and with a good depth. You don’t find quite the same level of top prospects as last year (but that was also a special year in this regard), but the depth seems better.

Forwards: The strength of this years U16 team is the depth of the forwards. It reminds me of the 1993 class 5 years ago. There is simply a lot of really good forwards born in 1998, and if all players are available to the national team, the top 3 lines would be extraordinary.

Well, enough of the talk, here is the roster:

Goaltender
Mark Brejnrod, Esbjerg
Emil Gransøe, Gentofte
Jacob Müller Hansen, Herlev

Defense
Jakob Jessen, Herning
Victor Tobias Hansen, Rungsted
Oliver Gatz Nielsen, AaB
Oliver Joakim Larsen, AaB
Andreas W. Pade, Herning
Tobias Jensen, Vojens
Emil Gantzel Torbensen, Esbjerg
Daniel Bech, Esbjerg

Forwards
Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Selects Hockey Academy (USA)
Christian Gade, Rungsted
Jonas Sander, Hvidovre
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre
Joachim Blichfeld, Frederikshavn
Marcus Dalmark Pedersen, Frederikshavn
Magnus Molge, Malmö (SWE)
Daniel Nielsen, Vojens
Christian Wejse, Esbjerg
Jacob Bøgelund, Esbjerg
Christian Boed, Rungsted
Valdemar Ahlberg, Gentofte
Casper Mortensen, Vojens
Simon Wiuff, Vojens

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
2014 NHL draft

According to hockeyligaen.dk there are 6 Danish junior players (apart from Nikolaj Ehlers of course) on the newest list regarding the 2014 NHL draft from Central Scouting Services.
They are all categorized as C players (to go in the later rounds if at all), and they are all playing in the best Danish league:

Goaltenders:
George Sørensen (Herning)
Thomas Lillie (SønderjyskE)

Defenders:
Anders Krogsgaard (Esbjerg)
Mattias Lassen (Rødovre)

Forwards:
Markus Jensen (Herning)
Mikkel Aagaard (Frederikshavn)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
According to hockeyligaen.dk there are 6 Danish junior players (apart from Nikolaj Ehlers of course) on the newest list regarding the 2014 NHL draft from Central Scouting Services.
They are all categorized as C players (to go in the later rounds if at all), and they are all playing in the best Danish league:

Goaltenders:
George Sørensen (Herning)
Thomas Lillie (SønderjyskE)

Defenders:
Anders Krogsgaard (Esbjerg)
Mattias Lassen (Rødovre)

Forwards:
Markus Jensen (Herning)
Mikkel Aagaard (Frederikshavn)

Even though they all are C-players, then 6 is a pretty good number. As far as I remember 3-4 is more normal the last couple of years, isn't it?
So really bad luck for Mattias Lassen to have come on the list and then have a longer term injury.
I would be surprised though if anyone other than Nikolaj Ehlers is drafted (unless Mads Eller get a late(st) draft as overager) in 2014.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Even though they all are C-players, then 6 is a pretty good number. As far as I remember 3-4 is more normal the last couple of years, isn't it?
So really bad luck for Mattias Lassen to have come on the list and then have a longer term injury.
I would be surprised though if anyone other than Nikolaj Ehlers is drafted (unless Mads Eller get a late(st) draft as overager) in 2014.

Name could prove the difference there

member 498sixnine

?..but can you guess who is no. 287 on the list!?

There's just something about guys from Herning and the number 87. Both Frans, Regin and Andersen (2nd time) was drafted as nr 87 and Andersens first Draft was as nr 187. Oliver was really close too, but slipped to 89.

Kind of crazy actually:)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So not to leave everything up to Valdemar here are stats on some Danish 1998 prospects he mentioned above:

Jacob Svejstrup (ex-Rungsted) has been doing great for Selects Hockey Academy U16 and won USPHL championship. 17G 19A in 28 games.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=211287

Magnus Molge (ex-Rødovre) has been on the Malmø U16: 10G 3A in 23 games.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=207446

These two are the youngest Danish prospects that has gone abroad which I could find on eliteprospects.

As for 1998 prospects playing in Denmark:
Christian Gade won the U17 point production ahead of 1997 fellow Rungsted prospects Alexander True (but also played 3 more games).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=207316

Rungsted is really starting to produce a lot of talented players!

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So not to leave everything up to Valdemar here are stats on some Danish 1998 prospects he mentioned above:

Jacob Svejstrup (ex-Rungsted) has been doing great for Selects Hockey Academy U16 and won USPHL championship. 17G 19A in 28 games.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=211287

Magnus Molge (ex-Rødovre) has been on the Malmø U16: 10G 3A in 23 games.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=207446

These two are the youngest Danish prospects that has gone abroad which I could find on eliteprospects.

As for 1998 prospects playing in Denmark:
Christian Gade won the U17 point production ahead of 1997 fellow Rungsted prospects Alexander True (but also played 3 more games).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=207316

Rungsted is really starting to produce a lot of talented players!

I know it's the Danish U17 league, but 74pts in 19gp, is pretty incredible :)

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I know it's the Danish U17 league, but 74pts in 19gp, is pretty incredible :)

Very impressive production indeed from Christian Gade, and the best in the Danish U17 league ever it seems. But his production in the same league last year was also great, so this is hardly a surprise. He has been a favorite of mine for quite some time now.

Did you know that he was playing defense when younger? He was elected best defender at the 2011 Danish U13 championship!
Last year he was elected best forward at the 2013 Danish U15 championship.

Another player worth taking a closer look at is also playing in Rungsted: 1999 born Jonas Røndbjerg. With 53 total points he ended up as no. 4 on the high scorer list in U17 this year, despite being between 1 and 2 years younger than most other players in the league.

Jonas has furthermore done the incredible feat of being the highest scoring player in the Danish U15 East league 3 years in a row. I don't believe it has ever been done before.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Very impressive production indeed from Christian Gade, and the best in the Danish U17 league ever it seems. But his production in the same league last year was also great, so this is hardly a surprise. He has been a favorite of mine for quite some time now.

Did you know that he was playing defense when younger? He was elected best defender at the 2011 Danish U13 championship!
Last year he was elected best forward at the 2013 Danish U15 championship.

Another player worth taking a closer look at is also playing in Rungsted: 1999 born Jonas Røndbjerg. With 53 total points he ended up as no. 4 on the high scorer list in U17 this year, despite being between 1 and 2 years younger than most other players in the league.

Jonas has furthermore done the incredible feat of being the highest scoring player in the Danish U15 East league 3 years in a row. I don't believe it has ever been done before.

The very high number of goals/points from Rungsted players might partly be caused by their massive wins especially against Amar U17. Rungsted had 195-32 in goal for and against while Amar had 20-187 for and against. But still very impressive how much Christian Gade produced compared to the rest in the U17. So both best defender and best forward so far, what's next best goalie :laugh:

Very interesting with Jonas Røndbjerg as 4'th on the list and yes that is an incredible feat.
So did True-Gade-Røndbjerg played together as 1 forward line ??

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
The very high number of goals/points from Rungsted players might partly be caused by their massive wins especially against Amar U17. Rungsted had 195-32 in goal for and against while Amar had 20-187 for and against. But still very impressive how much Christian Gade produced compared to the rest in the U17. So both best defender and best forward so far, what's next best goalie :laugh:

Very interesting with Jonas Røndbjerg as 4'th on the list and yes that is an incredible feat.
So did True-Gade-Røndbjerg played together as 1 forward line ??

No. It seems like Gade is playing with True on the first line. Jonas Røndbjerg plays on the second line mostly with William Boysen. That surly doesn't make Jonas point production less impressive.

You are right that the Rungsted players point production are inflated, and we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with praise, but I sure hope Christian Gade makes a "Nicklas Jensen/Oliver Bjorkstrand" next year in the best Danish league, that would be great.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
No. It seems like Gade is playing with True on the first line. Jonas Røndbjerg plays on the second line mostly with William Boysen. That surly doesn't make Jonas point production less impressive.

You are right that the Rungsted players point production are inflated, and we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with praise, but I sure hope Christian Gade makes a "Nicklas Jensen/Oliver Bjorkstrand" next year in the best Danish league, that would be great.

That makes it much more impressive for a 1999 player!

What is also interesting is that usual talent-powerhouses Herning and Rødovre both only became second in their groups after Rødovre and Aalborg.
So the talent work has become much more evenly distributed lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->