Denmark: Danish Prospects

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I'm not entirely sure you should put too much scouting emphasize on a guy scouting Danish talents from Sevilla, Spain :)

Your welcome to try and take over?

No? I thought so...

Valdemar does well, and never pretends to be something he is not - Btw, mots people on here scout from a distance.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I'm not entirely sure you should put too much scouting emphasize on a guy scouting Danish talents from Sevilla, Spain :)

I can only say that based on the years reading his assessments of the Danish prospect (both international hockey forums and Hf boards), that I take Valdemar as a source of well-thought good information about players, that none of us "regulars" here on HF boards ever have a chance to see play.
So I personally consider his assessments valid no matter in what country he lives in and it is no secret that he is in Sevilla.
None of us are actually youth coaches that follow these players on a regular basis, so our prospect discussions are dominantly speculation based on media articles and Valdemar have always been very clear to point this out.
Slightly amused at the number of math people in this forum. :) Reminds me of Bent Kølvig, my former Data teacher at elementary school. He was a goal judge at 'Kostalden' (remember those?), father of hockey linesman Kent Kølvig and a one-time Danish national chess champion! :yo:
As a former club chess player I know of Bent Kølvig, but never knew about him being a goal referee in kostalden or a data teacher at Hendriksholm Skole!
So obviously I'm not from Rødovre! Are you old enough to have had data teaching (EDB) in the public school with "piccoline datamaskiner" - the Danish Computer.
Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Hillebrandt_regnecentralen_rc759-piccoline.jpg

I'm neither mathematician nor physicist, but a vertebrate paleontologist - guess we go for the that fossilized look!
As for physicists in having a "trekkies" look, possibly true!!

Last edited:

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
I can only say that based on the years reading his assessments of the Danish prospect (both international hockey forums and Hf boards), that I take Valdemar as a source of well-thought good information about players, that none of us "regulars" here on HF boards ever have a chance to see play.
So I personally consider his assessments valid no matter in what country he lives in and it is no secret that he is in Sevilla.
None of us are actually youth coaches that follow these players on a regular basis, so our prospect discussions are dominantly speculation based on media articles and Valdemar have always been very clear to point this out.

I remember an episode 4-5 years ago that says everything about Valdemars thoroughness. On IHF I had written something about a J20 NT-match I'd seen in Rødovre. Afterwards Valdemar contacted me directly, and asked me if I could write him more info about the game and the different prospects.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
As a former club chess player I know of Bent Kølvig, but never knew about him being a goal referee in kostalden or a data teacher at Hendriksholm Skole!
So obviously I'm not from Rødovre! Are you old enough to have had data teaching (EDB) in the public school with "piccoline datamaskiner" - the Danish Computer.
Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Hillebrandt_regnecentralen_rc759-piccoline.jpg

No, not quite that old - assuming the model is older than the ones we used... IIRC, we used some IBM computer. Didn't look all that different from the computer in your link. I think they had something like a 30 MB hard drive(!):amazed:

The main reason why I bring him up, is because if you ask a random person to describe a typical hockey fan, I'm pretty sure the words math or chess will not be mentioned. I like it when people break stereotypes like that.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
Well maybe this shouldn't be in the prospects thread since he maybe is too old. I'm taklking about Nikolaj Meyer. I have been following him since he entered Frederikshavns senior team as a 15-16 years old boy. He has always been a good player and skater, but I've never been totally impressed by him (other real good prospects at his age and around his year class (1993) stand out with something special: Niklas Jensen with his shot and size, Spelling with the shot, Patrick Bjorkstrand his skating and Russell with his size and commitment. Maybe Meyer most of all is a sniper with the ability to be at the right place at the right time.
But we can't ignore his stats! It's been a long time since a Dane was leading in points in the Danish league. What are your takes on Meyer and his future?

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well maybe this shouldn't be in the prospects thread since he maybe is too old. I'm taklking about Nikolaj Meyer. I have been following him since he entered Frederikshavns senior team as a 15-16 years old boy. He has always been a good player and skater, but I've never been totally impressed by him (other real good prospects at his age and around his year class (1993) stick out with something special: Niklas Jensen with his shot and size, Spelling with the shot, Patrick Bjorkstrand his skating and Russell with his size and commitment. Maybe Meyer most of all is a sniper with the ability to be at the right place at the right time.
But we can't ignore his stats! It's been a long time since a Dane was leading in points in the Danish league. What are your takes on Meyer and his future?

I though Meyer was a promising player for the Danish league with perhaps an Allsvenskan future after his excellent stats in the Swedish U20 in season 2010/11 and then his growth in the Danish league from good rookie stats in 2011/12 to really good production in 2012/13.
Then season 2013/14 he produced very poorly for some reason, so I thought that maybe his production was utterly dependent on other players in his line and that he would be a good Danish league forward, but nothing more.
After this season going to Aalborg, where he basically has to carry the team basically alone his production has been utterly amazing. He can be the first Dane to win the point production since Kasper Degn in 2003/04!
Even if he doesn't end up winning it, the fact that he manage to be in the top with a bottom team and not a dominant high scoring top team is almost unheard off. That alone will make the him "player of the year" without question.
I'm certain that many teams in Allsvenskan would be interested! Then we just have to see if he can continue his current flow!

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
If anybody wants to get a closer look at top prospect Markus Almquist, Rødovre (born 2003) is here a longer video from a game he played a year ago against Swedish team SDE. It's from the tournament at Sweden Hockey Trophy where he was elected MVP.

SDE Hockey Rödovre

If you have little time the most interesting part is from 3:25 to 5:00. But I found it interesting to watch it all since you get to see him in many game situations. He is easy recognizable (no. 87) and on ice for most parts of the video.

He seems like a great skater; very fast and shifty. Very good stick handling and high hockey IQ. Furthermore he is not afraid of psychical contact making some good hits.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
If anybody wants to get a closer look at top prospect Markus Almquist, Rødovre (born 2003) is here a longer video from a game he played a year ago against Swedish team SDE. It's from the tournament at Sweden Hockey Trophy where he was elected MVP.

SDE Hockey Rödovre

If you have little time the most interesting part is from 3:25 to 5:00. But I found it interesting to watch it all since you get to see him in many game situations. He is easy recognizable (no. 87) and on ice for most parts of the video.

He seems like a great skater; very fast and shifty. Very good stick handling and high hockey IQ. Furthermore he is not afraid of psychical contact making some good hits.

Thanks for the link!
He seemed very dominant on the ice and also willing to make passes instead of only pug hugging all the time.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Thanks for the link!
He seemed very dominant on the ice and also willing to make passes instead of only pug hugging all the time.

Exactly! Actually I find his game mature. I know it is a small sample size, but considering his age (11 years old at the time of the game in this video), I am very impressed with him.

I have only been able to find around 5 videos of him on Youtube, but based on those I'll say that;

• He is aggressive and not afraid to initiate contact, on the contrary, he makes some good hits and manage to stay on the skates while his adversaries bites the ice.
  • He is a great skater; he is fast, he is shifty, he has excellent acceleration, and he can "turn on a dime"
  • He back-checks and is not afraid to help out in the defense
  • He is not a puck hog, actually I many cases he played the puck right after he got it, and some of his assists shows that he is not selfish
  • He has high hockey IQ and seems good at finding and moving to the right spot to receive a pass or to break an attack
  • He has very good hands and a good shot, and is absolutely deadly when one-on-one with the goaltender. It seems he has a lot of experience with breakaways probably helped by his great speed

I was really looking to find faults in his game, but besides that he is on the small side, i see absolutely nothing holding him back.

On a side note: In U15 (as double-underager) he is now leading both the points and goals top scorer list. He has 52 goals and 21 assists for 73 points in 20 games. Rødovre has 7 games left of the season, so with the current production he may reach 100 points in the league.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Exactly! Actually I find his game mature. I know it is a small sample size, but considering his age (11 years old at the time of the game in this video), I am very impressed with him.

I have only been able to find around 5 videos of him on Youtube, but based on those I'll say that;

• He is aggressive and not afraid to initiate contact, on the contrary, he makes some good hits and manage to stay on the skates while his adversaries bites the ice.
  • He is a great skater; he is fast, he is shifty, he has excellent acceleration, and he can "turn on a dime"
  • He back-checks and is not afraid to help out in the defense
  • He is not a puck hog, actually I many cases he played the puck right after he got it, and some of his assists shows that he is not selfish
  • He has high hockey IQ and seems good at finding and moving to the right spot to receive a pass or to break an attack
  • He has very good hands and a good shot, and is absolutely deadly when one-on-one with the goaltender. It seems he has a lot of experience with breakaways probably helped by his great speed

I was really looking to find faults in his game, but besides that he is on the small side, i see absolutely nothing holding him back.

On a side note: In U15 (as double-underager) he is now leading both the points and goals top scorer list. He has 52 goals and 21 assists for 73 points in 20 games. Rødovre has 7 games left of the season, so with the current production he may reach 100 points in the league.

Agree that he seems to have tons of skill in many areas:

Trying to find something - the only little critique I can come up with is this:
From what I saw he seems to like to dribble with one hand on the stick and to also engages with one hand trying to poke the puck from the defenders. It looks great when he succeeds as the second goal 4.45-4.50 min.
When failing that, the defender keeps the puck control. Here he could be perhaps more distinct, so to avoid a rush towards his own net if the poking attempt fails.

So more focus already now with two hands on the stick. If using it extensively one handed it will easily be knocked out of his hands, especially when his opponents gets bigger and heavier.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Don't know where to put this...

So the saga of Mads Eller seems to have developed. In the start of the month he left his ECHL-team and got his AHL-contract ripped apart, so that he could go join the OHL-team Windsor Spitfires. I can't find any note of him playing a game there yet, and since he was a constant third liner on his ECHL-team you kinda wonder, why he'd make that move. But the guy's getting to see a lot of North America! :)

Link: http://poststar.com/blogs/thunder/m...cle_7cc6e8ae-affe-53af-aa75-2424102f35cf.html

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Don't know where to put this...

So the saga of Mads Eller seems to have developed. In the start of the month he left his ECHL-team and got his AHL-contract ripped apart, so that he could go join the OHL-team Windsor Spitfires. I can't find any note of him playing a game there yet, and since he was a constant third liner on his ECHL-team you kinda wonder, why he'd make that move. But the guy's getting to see a lot of North America! :)

Link: http://poststar.com/blogs/thunder/m...cle_7cc6e8ae-affe-53af-aa75-2424102f35cf.html

He is injured.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
By the looks of it both Magnus Molge(Malmø) and Morten Jensen(Røgle) are getting SHL-time tonight. The kids are alright :)

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
By the looks of it both Magnus Molge(Malmø) and Morten Jensen(Røgle) are getting SHL-time tonight. The kids are alright :)

Don't know about Jensen, but Molge was only playing because Malmö had nothing to play for and many players out with illness, and they didn't want to take players from the U20 team that was playing a playoff game the same day.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Don't know about Jensen, but Molge was only playing because Malmö had nothing to play for and many players out with illness, and they didn't want to take players from the U20 team that was playing a playoff game the same day.

Pretty much the same with Jensen. He was called up because of injuries and the juniors used earlier this season needed a break before the junior playoffs.

Still it is a good experience for them to at least taste for a match what is needed to success at that level. Give them something to strive for. I cant remember the last time we have had so many debutants in the SHL if ever??? The depth is coming

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Sure neither is on a Mathias From-like train to stardom. But it's nice to see that both Malmø and Rögle have them on their radar for the big team... even if not for the present :)

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Sure neither is on a Mathias From-like train to stardom. But it's nice to see that both Malmø and Rögle have them on their radar for the big team... even if not for the present :)

How come you spell Malmö the Danish way and Rögle the Swedish way? :laugh:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
But, but.....Ängelholm/Rögle is also in Skåne :laugh:

Hey a revolution doesn't always get everything it sets out to achieve :rant:

... Okay okay you got me. Malmø is the exception for me. I don't know why. I even thought about about and decided that Malmø is Malmø while Rögle is Rögle.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00