Denmark: Danish Prospects

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Portland Winterhawks fan here, can I get a scouting report on Jonas Brondberg? Weve had success with Danish players here and I hope it continues

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Portland Winterhawks fan here, can I get a scouting report on Jonas Brondberg? Weve had success with Danish players here and I hope it continues

Jonas used to be a pretty big talent, but I don't know what happened to him over the past season or two. He was never an Erik Karlsson style of puck moving defenseman, but he was more progressive with the puck earlier on. When I watched him playing this past season he was a lot less innovative with the puck. He moved the puck wisely, but also very safely, not taking any chances and thereby limiting his creativeness.

He has a pretty good frame and absolutely decent skating, so no matter what you will get a D who can learn to play with effect in his own end. He is not physical in his play, but the coverage defensively is fine. He might take a while to adjust to the smaller rink, I suppose, but in a least couple of months he will be fine defensively. Not a monster, but fine.

Who knows, maybe the smaller rink will be just what he needs to get back to a more creative play with the puck. Or perhaps just getting to another league and especially a new coach. Having things shaken up sometimes releases whatever is needed to get it going again. Two years ago I would have said he had a good chance of getting picked in this years NHL draft in like the fourth or fifth round, but for the past half a year I had been absolutely sure he stood no chance anymore.

What I'm saying is: There is an absolute potential to get a very good player in Portland, if you find the key to get him back on track. Perhaps the Danish track record in Portland will "set him free"... :)

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Jonas used to be a pretty big talent, but I don't know what happened to him over the past season or two. He was never an Erik Karlsson style of puck moving defenseman, but he was more progressive with the puck earlier on. When I watched him playing this past season he was a lot less innovative with the puck. He moved the puck wisely, but also very safely, not taking any chances and thereby limiting his creativeness.

He has a pretty good frame and absolutely decent skating, so no matter what you will get a D who can learn to play with effect in his own end. He is not physical in his play, but the coverage defensively is fine. He might take a while to adjust to the smaller rink, I suppose, but in a least couple of months he will be fine defensively. Not a monster, but fine.

Who knows, maybe the smaller rink will be just what he needs to get back to a more creative play with the puck. Or perhaps just getting to another league and especially a new coach. Having things shaken up sometimes releases whatever is needed to get it going again. Two years ago I would have said he had a good chance of getting picked in this years NHL draft in like the fourth or fifth round, but for the past half a year I had been absolutely sure he stood no chance anymore.

What I'm saying is: There is an absolute potential to get a very good player in Portland, if you find the key to get him back on track. Perhaps the Danish track record in Portland will "set him free"... :)
Thank you very much for the detailed report! I was hoping we would select more of a PP QB type defender but a steady defenseman is still good. Apparently Joachim Blichfeld knows him quite well and recommended him to our staff so I'm hoping that sparks him here.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
With the disappointing youth results the last couple of years, let us at least rejoice in the fact that we go two players picked in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.

I posted a couple of month ago about how the quality of our young goaltenders seemingly had increased, and getting two goaltenders picked in the same draft is certainly a testimony to that. Two weeks ago Frederik Andersen was the only Danish goaltender taken in the NHL Entry Draft, and now he is followed by;

Mads Søgaard, Medicine Hat Tigers (CAN) was picked by Ottawa Senators in round 2, as number 37.
Frederik Dichow Nissen, Vojens IK (DEN) was picked by Montreal Canadiens in round 5, as number 138.

I find it especially impressive that Frederik Dichow Nissen was picked directly out of a minor Danish league. Of course his great performance at the 2019 U18 WJC, Div. 1 group A must have been the decisive matter, but I don't recall a Danish player to be picked directly out of a minor Danish league before. Those who were picked directly from Denmark were playing in the best Danish league, like e.g. Peter Regin and Jannik Hansen.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What are the chances of Dichow making the U-20 team in December? Hopefully your team can win in Belarus so you get back to the WJC's in 2021.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Pretty interesting with this sudden surge of goaltenders in recent years. That was an achilles heel for many years. Will be interesting to follow them!
I've never seen it as an achilles heal of Denmark. They've had solid goaltenders for years. Now it seems that it is getting much better still though.

Reminds me of Finland before Kiprusoff, Hurme, Nurminen etc. went to the NHL. There had been really good international goaltenders like Myllys and Sulander, but that NHL success was lacking.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Jonas Bjerrum, Esbjerg and Jeppe Müller, Vojens, two of the most talented Danish forwards born 2002, are moving to Salzburg in Austria, where they are going to participate on the well-known Red Bull Academy. It is a great opportunity for both to become better players, and develop personally.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Off of a hot start with 4 assists in his first 5 games with Portland, Jonas Brondberg has earned a C rating from central scouting's preliminary watch list. I haven't seen him live yet but from the reports he is looking like a solid two way defender for us.

Lajo

Oct 20, 2019
At the moment I'm having a hard time seeing who will be the next Danish NHL-player. Besides the former Rungsted prospect, Alexander True, and perhaps Joachim Blichfeld, it is not like there is an obvious "next one"... Perhaps besides Mads Søgaard.

But, who do you guys see at the next prospect who has a chance to make it?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
At the moment I'm having a hard time seeing who will be the next Danish NHL-player. Besides the former Rungsted prospect, Alexander True, and perhaps Joachim Blichfeld, it is not like there is an obvious "next one"... Perhaps besides Mads Søgaard.

True will most likely be the next one.

Of younger prospects there is one name above them all: Marcus Almquist

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Almquist like Bagge said, other than that, Denmark will probably see a steep decline in talent. DIU had the chance to build on the momentum of having players drafted and getting a WC, and IMO have failed.

At least more practice rinks are beeing built.

And, I don’t think Almquist has been as dominant in the SWE Jr 18 elite as I thought he would be.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Problem is: Almquist is not big enough. At this age they can catch him or at least box him in a lot better than they could a couple of years ago. A year or two ago I would have given him a good chance of ending up in round 1 of the NHL draft. He is not even close now. There are at least 10-15 Swedes that are better than him born in 2003.

BUT: There's still 1½ years to go before his draft comes up, so maybe he can bounce back. He still is very dynamic and can create things in small pockets. He also sees they offensive plays develop before they happen and therefore uses the open ice very well.

I pray for him still having a growth spurt in him like Jonas Røndbjerg had back in time. Røndbjerg was even smaller than Almquist, but in his U16 year he grew like I've seen only few players at this age grow before. This of course gives me a problem, because Almquist is now one year older than that and it really seems impossible that he will grow that much more. If he can just get to 178 cm it would be awesome, preferably 182. But seeing him this past weekend I think he still stands at about 168-170.

I still believe Almquist is the best Danish prospect hot drafted yet, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Kasper Larsen and Anton Stenbakken might have better careers although I'm not betting on it either.

Reactions: Valdemar

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
No he hasnt. Think it has to do with his rather turbulent season last year, shifting back and forward from DK to Sweden a couple of times.

Almquist didn't shift back and forth from Sweden last year. He came home in the summer and he played the whole season in Rødovre.

He did play one tournament for HV71, Skandinavian Cup, which many Danes have done over the years as sort of a tryout for the following season. If that screws him up he wont make it in the big leagues :)

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Almquist didn't shift back and forth from Sweden last year. He came home in the summer and he played the whole season in Rødovre.

He did play one tournament for HV71, Skandinavian Cup, which many Danes have done over the years as sort of a tryout for the following season. If that screws him up he wont make it in the big leagues :)

It sounds like you know more about him than me, so not going to argue with you about that. I just heard that he started in Rødovre, then played in Malmö for a part of the season and then shifted back to Rødovre again.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
What has happened to Danish hockey?
U16 lost to Norway, U20 lost to Latvia and Austria and barely beat Slovenia in OT.

U18 are behind against Hungary - And the last many games also seem to be losses or less impressive wins....

Very big fall from grace, and not really any NHL players in the pipeline, now that Almquist has slipped down the draft lists..

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
What has happened to Danish hockey?
U16 lost to Norway, U20 lost to Latvia and Austria and barely beat Slovenia in OT.

U18 are behind against Hungary - And the last many games also seem to be losses or less impressive wins....

Very big fall from grace, and not really any NHL players in the pipeline, now that Almquist has slipped down the draft lists..

You always time your posts here almost to perfection :laugh::laugh:

Blichfeldt has been called up for his NHL debut and is expected to start tonight.

Maybe Almquist have slipped a bit down or maybe our expectations were too high. Bottom line is he scored both goals in our match against Slovenia the other day. Cant remember the last 16 year old that did that in a J20 WCH.....

We have been spoiled the last 12 years with high end talent and are now seeing a dip in talent mass, but we still get our youngsters picked in NHL draft, so it cant be that bad for sure? Ok, we dont have a new Ehlers in the pipeline, but look at what Russell have accomplished with hard work and more hard work.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Funniest moment of the last game was when Almquist who is like the size of an ice cream cone, tried to obliterate our biggest forward, Paul Huber, who is 193cm/100kg. I thought the very next shift was a bit mean to him for it though, bit of pushing. He's a tough and chippy kid, but he's still small, you can't bully him like that.

Reactions: Bagge

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Funniest moment of the last game was when Almquist who is like the size of an ice cream cone, tried to obliterate our biggest forward, Paul Huber, who is 193cm/100kg. I thought the very next shift was a bit mean to him for it though, bit of pushing. He's a tough and chippy kid, but he's still small, you can't bully him like that.

He is definately not big. The important question is if he is going to stay down there or what. I was done growing in height when I was 16, but one of my friends set in a sprint from 17 to 19 and grew 20 cm or so.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You always time your posts here almost to perfection :laugh::laugh:

Blichfeldt has been called up for his NHL debut and is expected to start tonight.

Maybe Almquist have slipped a bit down or maybe our expectations were too high. Bottom line is he scored both goals in our match against Slovenia the other day. Cant remember the last 16 year old that did that in a J20 WCH.....

We have been spoiled the last 12 years with high end talent and are now seeing a dip in talent mass, but we still get our youngsters picked in NHL draft, so it cant be that bad for sure? Ok, we dont have a new Ehlers in the pipeline, but look at what Russell have accomplished with hard work and more hard work.

No, my question still stands, I wrote this as Blichfeld was called up.
I am not talking about the current situation, but Danish hockey development.

U18 loosing 7-3 to friggin Hungary, with several other losses.
U20 looking bad in div 1.

and U16 not looking strong either.

Sure there is almquist, but he has slipped far down, not going to get drafted high.

Sure Denmark have been spoiled, but imo, it is valid to question the situation they are in. They failed to grab the momentum and run with it.

I know the old team Demmark boss has said the same thing.

So, my timing is as it should be, Blichfeld playing an NHL game has nothing to do with what I wrote tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad