Denmark: Danish Prospects

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Denmark's display is likely the worst defensive performance (and effort) I've ever seen from a national team. How do you define, "soft goals?" There isn't necessarily a consensus as to what is soft and what is not. Denmark provided no net coverage, could barely cover the slot, screened Sogaard, zone exits were horrendous, and cross crease passes were copious. I don't think you realize how difficult it is to be a goaltender when you have to survey every skater. Withal, Denmark hardly played the boards at any point in the tourney. Nearly every opportunity in their end was quality.

So, I guess you need someone to go back, find clips and show you in slowmotion why each of the soft goals were soft goals. I really don't want to spend my time holding your hand through such an exercise, but you might want to take the tour through the goals yourself. I have seen them all several times and I have no doubt a top goalie prospect would have prevented at least 8-10 of the Danish goals against in these games.

A first round draft prospect goalie would not have won the games against Canada, Czech Republic and Switzerland because those games would have turned out lopsided anyway, but a top prospect goalie would have won those games against Kazakhstan instead of letting in 6 goals on 21 shots. Yeremeyev was facing much worse shots and a lot more shots than Søgaard, and Yeremeyev turned out to be the (by far) best goalie in those games.

You are definitely right about the Danish team not being good, but it was mainly the offensive side of the Danish team that was really bad.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
So, I guess you need someone to go back, find clips and show you in slowmotion why each of the soft goals were soft goals. I really don't want to spend my time holding your hand through such an exercise, but you might want to take the tour through the goals yourself. I have seen them all several times and I have no doubt a top goalie prospect would have prevented at least 8-10 of the Danish goals against in these games.

A first round draft prospect goalie would not have won the games against Canada, Czech Republic and Switzerland because those games would have turned out lopsided anyway, but a top prospect goalie would have won those games against Kazakhstan instead of letting in 6 goals on 21 shots. Yeremeyev was facing much worse shots and a lot more shots than Søgaard, and Yeremeyev turned out to be the (by far) best goalie in those games.

You are definitely right about the Danish team not being good, but it was mainly the offensive side of the Danish team that was really bad.
I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit? I didn't require any video evidence or what have you, I merely asked for clarity as to what is designated as, "soft," per your subjectivity. I've seen individuals regard cross-creases as, "soft," since the speed of the shot was slow, and I can guarantee you that Sogaard faced many of those, so what is your point? I find it comical that you misapprehended your nominal obfuscation as a beckon for a 'watching aid.' What top goalie prospect played for a lackluster defensive core like Denmark's? Your sample size appears quite thin.

To clarify, I am not stating that Sogaard was impressive in the slightest, especially not in the Kazakhstan games, but rather his poor team's performance likely will not affect his projection much. I think if this degradation of performance continues in the WHL, then it's guaranteed, but if he improves, then I think most scouts will consider variables, such as A. His team was garb. B. His confidence was shot after the first couple games, if not the first. C. Well, it's the world juniors and playing six games is a poor sample size.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Yeah, once again: The defense was not really that bad. The problem for Denmark wasn't the defense, but the offence and the goaltending. The defense didn't allow many shots except for the Canada game and not many home-plate shots either. They created even less home-plate shots themselves of course. The only time Denmark had as good a defensive line was two years ago.

I have seen all the games twice since it's part of my job. It sounds to me that you might not have seen much of Denmark's games to be honest.

For starters one could check out the goals. A lot of them came from distance shots that a good goalie really would have been in a position to save. But once you sit through the entire games it really clears up for you what this Danish team had and did not have. They had absolutely no offensive electricity, no passing game, no physical edge bar a few players, less than adequate goaltending and perhaps also less than adequate hunger.

They played nine games including pretournament games and scored four goals in nine losses. They out shot the opponents in four of the games. Not by shooting a lot of qualified shots, but by not allowing many shots.

Last edited:

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
I wasn't talking about their offence, though. If you really think that terrible zone exits, screening the crease, and no peripheral support constitutes as "really not that bad," then I really question your knowledge.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Joachim Blichfeld is having a monsterseason in Portland, currently leading the pointsrace in the entire WHL with 113 points in 67 games. Will be interesting if San Jose brings him up for a couple of games next season.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Alex Haunstoft, an U16 forward from Rødovre, has been accepted on the famous hockey academy "Shattuck St. Mary’s". A great opportunity for the young hockey player, and he will be the first dane to participate on their Hockey Center of Excellence.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Also the former Rødovre goaltender Marcus Bøhme Bjørn, born 2003, will play in North America next season. He will go to Athol Murray College of Notre Dame to play on the Hounds Hockey team. Congratulations and good luck!

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Alex Haunstoft, an U16 forward from Rødovre, has been accepted on the famous hockey academy "Shattuck St. Mary’s". A great opportunity for the young hockey player, and he will be the first dane to participate on their Hockey Center of Excellence.

Yeah, let's not oversell this thing too much. He arrives at this school at an age where almost all real hockey prospects have already left this school to go to OHL, WHL, QMJHL or perhaps even doorstepping their entry in the NCAA.

With all due respect, Haunstoft is not a prospect.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Also another Danish goaltender prospect; Louis Martinus Malthe Ingvordsen has signed a contract with Malmö Redhawks, Sweden. He will play for their U18 team in the coming season. Apart from playing for Hvidovre's U20 and 1. Division team this year, Louis has also played for the Danish national U17 team.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I don't remember if it has been mentioned here, but it seems like a lot of goaltending talent is developed in Denmark these years. It is of course difficult to predict if a young goal tender will be successful when he becomes an adult. There are many factors that maybe will change with age and especially the mental part of goaltending is important if you want to become one of the best. But we have a lot of talented goaltenders playing in junior hockey, and most likely some of them will get a great career.
Apart from the goaltenders mentioned above and Mads Søgaard who will likely be picked high in the coming NHL draft, keep an eye out for the following goaltenders;
Thor Baden, Vojens 2002
Anton Lisberg, Herning 2003
Kristers Steinbergs, AaB 2005 (Kristers is apparently also Latvian)

We also have 2 very good female goaltenders playing junior hockey:
Emma-Sofie Norström, Herning 2002 (Frederik Andersens cousin)
Aya Juhl Petersen, Rødovre 2004

Last edited:
Reactions: Bagge

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
One of the biggest Danish defensive prospects right now; 15 year old Anton Ibman Stenbakken, will play for Frölunda, Sweden next season. He has signed a 4 year contract and will start playing on their U16 team. It is his hope that he soon also will be allowed to play on their U18 team.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Stenbakken is a real prospect. Undoubtably the best player on the U16 team in this months tournament. Despite he was the only U15 player on the team. The rest of the team was B A D, but Stenbakken made quite an impression. I think he will be on the U18 team for the worlds in 2020 despite only being U16, which is quite rare for a defender. I don't think that has happened since possibly Philip Larsen or Michael Eskesen (if even they made it, which I can't quite remember, but if would have been in 05 or 02 in case, since they are born '89 and '86...)

Reactions: Valdemar

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Stenbakken is a real prospect. Undoubtably the best player on the U16 team in this months tournament. Despite he was the only U15 player on the team. The rest of the team was B A D, but Stenbakken made quite an impression. I think he will be on the U18 team for the worlds in 2020 despite only being U16, which is quite rare for a defender. I don't think that has happened since possibly Philip Larsen or Michael Eskesen (if even they made it, which I can't quite remember, but if would have been in 05 or 02 in case, since they are born '89 and '86...)

Thank you for the information. Did you stream the games?
It seems like a lot of different players has been playing U16 National Team hockey this year, not that is should be an excuse, but it certainly wasn't the strongest team we saw. Furthermore the team was without the 2 best forwards; Marcus Almquist and Philip Nolsøe. But still it has been an absolute disgrace the performance they have shown.

But Stenbakken seems like a real gem, and he could be the best defender to come out of Denmark since Philip Larsen. Well we'll see, he still got a lot of development in front of him.

On the U18 team in 2005 the only U16 player was Mikkel Boedker, and actually he was the only player on the team who wasn't born in 1997. In 2002 Michael Eskesen participated as 1 of 3 U16 players on the team for the U18 Div. 1 WJC. The other 2 was Jannik Hansen and Peter Regin! But the birth year 1984 was really weak as indicated by the fact that only 8 players born that year ware on the roster together with 9 players born 1985.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
And the '02+03 birth years are equally bad, so Stenbakken should have a good chance of making that U18 squad next year.

Stenbakken is not comparable to Larsen as a player. Larsen always was offense first. Stenbakken has a much better rounded game and way, way better in his own zone. Not as flashy, but he can join in offensively as well, although he won't be the type of rushing D, that Larsen likes to be. His skating is technically just as good as Larsens, he is just not as fast, but I think a lot will depend on how much more growing he will do. My guess is he will end up around 6'2-6'4, so a pretty good size. It all bodes very well for him. He looked fairly big compared to the other players in the U16 tourney, and they were all one year older.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I was streaming a lot of the games at the U15 Danish Championship last year, and I was very impressed by Stenbakken. He just seems like a really smart player. He was playing on a weak Frederikshavn team, so he was somewhat limited in his play, but he was noticeable in almost all his shifts. Furthermore he actually has a very good shot (specially the slap shot) which he often uses on the blue line. He has also been playing forward and as far as I remember, he was elected best forward at the U13 Danish Championship two years ago.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Why would he? Because of his massive frame?

LOL, well it certainly doesn't hurt him. I haven't seen (streamed ) him enough to evaluate his play, but because of his late birthdate, he will have 2 years to convince a team to pick him. He is not without talent based on the facts that he was the only 2002 born player on the Danish U18 national team last month. Furthermore he was elected best D-man at the Danish U17 league Championship in March. But of course some of this can maybe be contributed his size?

Hopefully we will see him in the best Danish league next season (or alternatively be playing in a strong junior league abroad).

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Based on the U18 Worlds 1A Bagge is right. Larsen did not impress much at those championships. Looked a little out of place at times. He wasn't bad and weak or anything like that - just not draft worthy either, to be honest. But Mads Søgaard also wasn't anywhere near draft worthy in either U18 last season or U20 this season, but he seems to be picked anyway after catching a perfect break in the WHL, so who is to say that Larsen couldn't do the same?

Setkov also was picked based on size and mobility after not making much of a splash. Now, Larsen is not as mobile as Setkov, but he does seem a lot stronger in his own end at the same age, so we'll see what happens. I won't write him off, but based on this season alone, I also wouldn't jump the draft gun on him.

Reactions: Sofaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad