Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I mean the need for skilled player is on Guerin. He's brought in Maroon and signed Hartman, Gaudreau, Johansson and Foligno to extensions.

Both McBain and Nesterenko left the organization because they didn't think they had a chance here.
I thought McBain tried to big-brain it and decided AZ offered the best route to maximize his future earnings by way of getting easy minutes. Given our C shortage at the time he had plenty of opportunity here

I'm not sweating it, as long as 1 year doesn't turn into more.
I agree. I think people underestimate the cultural part. Moving halfway around the world away from everyone you know isn’t an easy decision. Yurov is thriving in Russia and probably just didn’t want to rock the boat.

Also, Marat looks really good lately @57special . He’s playing with Michkov and looks like an NHLer again. I think he will get a decent chance to start with the big club next fall.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought McBain tried to big-brain it and decided AZ offered the best route to maximize his future earnings by way of getting easy minutes. Given our C shortage at the time he had plenty of opportunity here

I agree. I think people underestimate the cultural part. Moving halfway around the world away from everyone you know isn’t an easy decision. Yurov is thriving in Russia and probably just didn’t want to rock the boat.

Also, Marat looks really good lately @57special . He’s playing with Michkov and looks like an NHLer again. I think he will get a decent chance to start with the big club next fall.
I don't know how you can see Marat's season as anything but a fail after his 2022-23 season. I also don't know how you can see him as a NHL'er over Yurov.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I don't know how you can see Marat's season as anything but a fail after his 2022-23 season. I also don't know how you can see him as a NHL'er over Yurov.
probably a good thing then that I never indicated that - at all. But he’s coming over next year and Yurov isn’t so it makes sense to focus on the players we will have.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
probably a good thing then that I never indicated that - at all. But he’s coming over next year and Yurov isn’t so it makes sense to focus on the players we will have.
You literally said that he "looks like an NHL'er again".

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I think Khusnutdinov can come this season. His KHL season is almost over, I doubt he'll be waiting for 6 months to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
OK, I've seen enough. There is no way that Yurov shouldn't be over here next year and playing on the NHL team, for the most part. His play this year has convinced me. He is scoring at a .8 P/pg clip against men in a vg league, has the skating, skill, and size(which will only be more effective as he fills out). I'm all for a meritocracy, where players have to earn a chance to play on the NHL team, but hasn't he done that this year, albeit outside of the MN organization?

I would get it if his contract would be onerous (it won't), or if he didn't fill a need(he does...we need skilled forwards like we need to breathe). You can't tell me that he wouldn't come over of BG told him that he would be playing on the NHL team, and making 900+ USD.

I suspect that BG has gone old school on him and told him he'll have to start in the AHL and earn a NHL spot like everyone else. Normally, i'd agree with that, but hasn't he done that with his consistent, excellent play in the KHL this year?

Maybe I've got it all wrong and Yurov really wants to stay in Russia for another year at 1/3rd the salary. Makes no sense to me, but if that is the case then no fault to BG, though I would have to start questioning his ability to relate to young prospects and players, if that is the case. He seems to get buddy buddy with the MAF's and Foligno's of the world, but maybe he can't connect/inspire/attract the younger ones?

Don't look at the situation through the prism of entitlement and instant gratification. Just because Yurov could play in the NHL doesn't mean he should. Development is a marathon, not a sprint.
This is Yurov's 1st year as an impact KHLer. Let him take 1 more year to get stronger and be a team leader. He'll then be ready mentally and physically for the NHL - Kaprizov style. This is Yurov's mentality. Too much too soon is not good.

Re: Khusnutdinov. To expect he repeat his point totals of last year is to live in fantasy land. Due to injuries he was thrust into the greatest gig in the KHL.....centering Gusev/Jaskin. All he had to do was be responsible defensively and keep his stick on the ice and he'd get many points.
He could be a very good NHL 3rd liner.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
ok, and Where did I say Yurov didn’t? You said that I see Marat as an NHLer over Yurov, which was never said or inferred.

Last edited:
Reactions: P10p

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think they meant that Khusnutdinov looks like they will jump to the NHL after the KHL season and that he should be good enough to make the team next year. I didn’t see any reference to him being better than Yurov.

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
...how many people are involved here?
They / them are my preferred pronouns….just kidding. It’s just me who was is being misunderstood. DGB correctly identified the source and nature of the confusion in the post above yours

• Haha
Reactions: 57special

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can’t speak English good
Actually... even before "gender identity" became a more common issue., "they" has been a properly used term for unknown gender of an individual. Thus on a message board like this, where gender isn't always clear, it's a correct term. Your English was just fine, despite your Wisconsin origin. ;)

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Actually... even before "gender identity" became a more common issue., "they" has been a properly used term for unknown gender of an individual. Thus on a message board like this, where gender isn't always clear, it's a correct term. Your English was just fine, despite your Wisconsin origin. ;)
Actually… the grammatically proper way to address an unknown gender was “he/she”

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Actually… the grammatically proper way to address an unknown gender was “he/she”
they
/T͟Hā/
pronoun
pronoun: they

used to refer to two or more people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.
"the two men could get life sentences if they are convicted"
people in general.
"the rest, as they say, is history"
informal
a group of people in authority regarded collectively.
"they cut my water off"
used to refer to a person of unspecified gender.
"ask someone if they could help"

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Bad bad bad bad Billy! Need Yurov this spring! He's already nhl ready and then some. I'd say more than Faber was last year. This team is 2 dman and a second line away from a legit contender.
Not even close. He has never played North American hockey and probably speaks little to no English. Faber was a force at the Olympics a year before he sniffed NHL and was probably living with his parents or his friends at the U when he started.

Yurov is going to be really good, but this was just his 1st year playing meaningful minutes in KHL. He could use another year to get stronger and round out his game. I’d love for him to come over too, but I think one more year in an environment where he is thriving is just fine. Especially if he is going to be learning C.

We all wanted Boldy in the Vegas series, and many wanted Rossi to come up last year and that extra time was big for each of them. I like the patient approach, as annoying as it is.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Bad bad bad bad Billy! Need Yurov this spring! He's already nhl ready and then some. I'd say more than Faber was last year. This team is 2 dman and a second line away from a legit contender.
This is 100% correct, but certain people are not going to like that. Guy is scoring like Kaprizov and Tarasenko in the KHL. He’s ready.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
We all wanted Boldy in the Vegas series, and many wanted Rossi to come up last year and that extra time was big for each of them. I like the patient approach, as annoying as it is.

I think Boldy could have played right away against vegas, Yurov seems plenty nhl ready but one more year isn't going to hurt him and when he does come he should be ready to contribute right away, maybe even in big ways.

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
This is 100% correct, but certain people are not going to like that. Guy is scoring like Kaprizov and Tarasenko in the KHL. He’s ready.
Faber won back to back B10 defender of the year, All-American and was rock-solid against Olympians. He also grew up a half hour from the Xcel.

Yurov barely saw the ice last year. He’s been amazing this year but to say he is more MHL ready now than Faber was a year ago is crazy IMO.

Faber had the highest floor of any prospect in our pool and was always going to breeze into the NHL. Some people just didn’t see it I guess

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Faber comparisons aside, Yurov has proven this year that he is ready for a shot at the NHL. I am mystified by Guerin's relaxed attitude to bringing him over ... country club GM? He seems to think that there is no urgency whatever to improving the club next year. Wonder if he has ran that plan by Kaprizov?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Faber was more NHL ready because he grew up half an hour from the Xcel? :huh:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Faber won back to back B10 defender of the year, All-American and was rock-solid against Olympians. He also grew up a half hour from the Xcel.

Yurov barely saw the ice last year. He’s been amazing this year but to say he is more MHL ready now than Faber was a year ago is crazy IMO.

Faber had the highest floor of any prospect in our pool and was always going to breeze into the NHL. Some people just didn’t see it I guess
You’re saying a lot of things that don’t mean as much as you think they do. Big Ten accolades compared to being the best player on a top 3 team in the KHL? Being an Olympian when NHL players are not allowed? Really?

What’s the Yurov equivalent to what Faber did last year? I put it as 3C while being a net positive. I think he could 100% do that and I feel comfortable in that stance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad