Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I get people are worried about 1 year turning into 5 or whatever, but if everything goes right, he'll make his debut at ~21.5 years old. It's only 1 more year than Boldy's. It'll all be ok.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
You smarter contract guys help me out - with the European guys, do we miss out on any RFA years by him staying over, and do we lose a year off the entry level contract, or will it be 3 years? If I recall correctly, CHL guys that sign have their 3 year deals slide when in juniors, NCAA guys get two year deals, etc.

I ask because would him coming over next year start his UFA clock sooner, or no effect?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You smarter contract guys help me out - with the European guys, do we miss out on any RFA years by him staying over, and do we lose a year off the entry level contract, or will it be 3 years? If I recall correctly, CHL guys that sign have their 3 year deals slide when in juniors, NCAA guys get two year deals, etc.

I ask because would him coming over next year start his UFA clock sooner, or no effect?

Players hit UFA at age 27, or after 7 years of service, whichever comes first. Yurov's UFA clock is July 1, 2031. That means if he comes over in 25-26, we get 6 RFA years out of him.

ELC length is determined by signing age. 18-21 is a three year ELC. Yurov will be 21 next spring/summer, so unless he holds out again, it'll still be three years.

Reactions: TaLoN

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Players hit UFA at age 27, or after 7 years of service, whichever comes first. Yurov's UFA clock is July 1, 2031. That means if he comes over in 25-26, we get 6 RFA years out of him.

ELC length is determined by signing age. 18-21 is a three year ELC. Yurov will be 21 next spring/summer, so unless he holds out again, it'll still be three years.
Thank you sir! For some reason I thought it was more complex, so sorry for being lazy and not looking it up.

If I understood what you wrote, I am definitely fine with him in the KHL another year. Development has been fine in KHL for players of his caliber, Wild will still be dealing with the dead cap, so it's not like its urgent to bring him here to make them compete next year, etc.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Thank you sir! For some reason I thought it was more complex, so sorry for being lazy and not looking it up.

If I understood what you wrote, I am definitely fine with him in the KHL another year. Development has been fine in KHL for players of his caliber, Wild will still be dealing with the dead cap, so it's not like its urgent to bring him here to make them compete next year, etc.

I have opinions of things for reasons, but ultimately no, it's not going to be a detriment if he stays another year

It's just unfortunate for me as the Danila Yurov Fan Club President that I have to wait another year to see him with Kaprizov/Boldy/Rossi and buy a Yurov jersey

• Love
Reactions: Jbcraig1883

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
You’re saying a lot of things that don’t mean as much as you think they do. Big Ten accolades compared to being the best player on a top 3 team in the KHL? Being an Olympian when NHL players are not allowed? Really?

What’s the Yurov equivalent to what Faber did last year? I put it as 3C while being a net positive. I think he could 100% do that and I feel comfortable in that stance.
we had this discussion all summer when people were saying Faber wasn’t a top prospect. His game was clearly NHL ready. He performed admirably in the limited role he was given.

Some people just couldn’t look past his lack of offense as a Gopher and determine that his skating and IQ virtually guaranteed he would be a solid NHLer.

Others saw it clearly as early as his freshman year when he was already a dominant shutdown player. Fortunately for us, our GM saw it this way.

^^ Check Post #34. I’m not some homer who got on the Faber train when we acquired him. He has had fierce advocates for a long time because he has always demonstrated rare defensive ability

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Faber comparisons aside, Yurov has proven this year that he is ready for a shot at the NHL. I am mystified by Guerin's relaxed attitude to bringing him over ... country club GM? He seems to think that there is no urgency whatever to improving the club next year. Wonder if he has ran that plan by Kaprizov?
I suspect the plan is to be guns blazing the year after the buyout hits fall off with a cupboard full of ready prospects(remains to be seen on the D side) and 15+ million in capspace to extend him and improve.

It might work.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
we had this discussion all summer when people were saying Faber wasn’t a top prospect. His game was clearly NHL ready. He performed admirably in the limited role he was given.

Some people just couldn’t look past his lack of offense as a Gopher and determine that his skating and IQ virtually guaranteed he would be a solid NHLer.

Others saw it clearly as early as his freshman year when he was already a dominant shutdown player. Fortunately for us, our GM saw it this way.

^^ Check Post #34. I’m not some homer who got on the Faber train when we acquired him. He has had fierce advocates for a long time because he has always demonstrated rare defensive ability
You're conflating two arguments. Faber being NHL ready and Yurov being NHL ready can both be true. I think you're also overlooking where Faber was last year because of how well he has done this year.

Faber played 3rd pairing when he jumped to the NHL and was a net positive. He didn't show the scoring touch last year, but he did show that he was a net positive overall. I fully believe that Yurov could play 3C and be a net positive at the end of this year in the same way Faber was on the 3rd pairing last year. I don't think that's outlandish. I certainly wouldn't say Yurov is "not even close" to being as NHL ready as Faber last year. I also wouldn't use college accolades and international tournaments as a foundation for an argument when the KHL is a better league than NCAA hockey and Russia isn't allowed to compete in international tournaments.

Personally, I think Yurov would step right into this team's top 6 and be just fine. That's better than what Faber did last year. Feel free to make the argument Yurov wouldn't do well in the top 6. If you can form a coherent argument on that, then you might have a point. Good luck.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
When people say that Guerin "should've done everything he could" to get him over here, essentially they're saying that he should've promised him an NHL spot, and probably a top 6 spot, which I actually don't have a problem with.

But Guerin could've done that, and Yurov still could've chosen to play 1 more year in his HOME country at 20 years old. It's not that far-fetched.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
You're conflating two arguments. Faber being NHL ready and Yurov being NHL ready can both be true. I think you're also overlooking where Faber was last year because of how well he has done this year.

Faber played 3rd pairing when he jumped to the NHL and was a net positive. He didn't show the scoring touch last year, but he did show that he was a net positive overall. I fully believe that Yurov could play 3C and be a net positive at the end of this year in the same way Faber was on the 3rd pairing last year. I don't think that's outlandish. I certainly wouldn't say Yurov is "not even close" to being as NHL ready as Faber last year. I also wouldn't use college accolades and international tournaments as a foundation for an argument when the KHL is a better league than NCAA hockey and Russia isn't allowed to compete in international tournaments.

Personally, I think Yurov would step right into this team's top 6 and be just fine. That's better than what Faber did last year. Feel free to make the argument Yurov wouldn't do well in the top 6. If you can form a coherent argument on that, then you might have a point. Good luck.
You’ve never understood that Faber could’ve jumped into the Top 4 or Top Pair last year. Because you saw nothing special and are applying your faulty knowledge to the situation. If you can form a coherent player evaluation, it would be worth discussing.

You compared him to Spacek all summer. You’re out of your mind.

Also, how about the fact Yurov is from halfway around the world. He doesn’t speak any of the language, doesn’t know any of the culture.

Lot of people here just assume Guerin hasn’t called him or told him we need skill in the Top 6. Absolutely nothing to indicate that whatsoever. The kid clearly wants to stay in Russia another year or he’d be headed here later this spring.

And lastly, our forward depth scoring is much much worse that our RHD was when Faber arrived. So obviously skilled guy probably gets a look higher up. That doesn’t mean he’s more NHL ready. You just keep doubling down on a player you have a long track record of doubting

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Anyone who watched Faber in the Dallas series and didn’t think he was 100% a top 4 dman already doesn’t know a thing about hockey. He was a massive stud when thrust into the nhl playoffs without any familiarity with the team or his d partner. I’m no expert but I was immediately thrilled with him.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
You compared him to Spacek all summer. You’re out of your mind.

Those prospect ranking threads are pure gold lol. Lots of hot takes being tossed around.
Credit to DB though, he has walked some of the Faber stuff back.

But anyways, even if Yurov is “more ready” than Faber for his eventual translation to the NHL… wouldn’t that be a good thing?
Faber is a stud, and for Yurov to even be challenging those comparisons is nothing but a good problem for us.

Reactions: HobeyBroten

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
When people say that Guerin "should've done everything he could" to get him over here, essentially they're saying that he should've promised him an NHL spot, and probably a top 6 spot, which I actually don't have a problem with.

But Guerin could've done that, and Yurov still could've chosen to play 1 more year in his HOME country at 20 years old. It's not that far-fetched.
Yes. This is not being considered by many.

He's the leading scorer of the best team in the Eastern Conference in the KHL. This is an organization that he has been tied to for six seasons now. Magnitogorsk is not far from his hometown of Chelyabinsk - both within Chelyabinsk Oblast.

I'm sure he very much wants to win a Gagarin cup with Magnitogorsk before leaving and, as their leading scorer, there is probably huge pressure on him not to abandon them before doing so. Best outcome for a Wild fan would probably be to see Metallurg win everything this year.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Interesting snippet in a recent Athletic update from Russo/Smith:
Those in the know are optimistic this will happen. But as Wild fans know all too well, nothing is guaranteed with Russian prospects until they sign on the dotted line and step foot in Minnesota. Just recall Kaprizov’s long road to Minnesota or the current Danila Yurov situation where the Wild still believe he hasn’t signed an extension with his KHL team despite reports that there’s one in the waiting. Yurov also told The Athletic last week that while he has negotiated a better contract, it’s not signed.
The Wild also keep indicating, as well, that in their eyes, Yurov, the 2022 first-round pick who just broke Vladimir Tarasenko’s scoring record in the KHL for an under-21-year-old (49 points with one game left in the regular season), hasn’t extended his contract there yet.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering why, since it was reported that a contract had been agreed to, I haven't actually seen anything official. No Tweet or press release from his team or the KHL, and nothing from Yurov except for verbal confirmations that there's a deal, and he'll be playing for Magnitogorsk next year. If it's done, why is the reporting of it so drawn out? I don't really doubt that he's going to stay in the KHL next year, but it's sort of weird that the player is saying it's a done deal and the KHL team is not. It's basically the opposite of what I'd expect.

That aside, I'm excited for Shaw to get his first game, whenever that ends up happening. I can foresee a Shaw - Dewar - Khusnutdinov line built on speed and a 200ft. game being pretty fun to watch (though very small), if Hynes puts them together.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Maybe he’s saying he’ll agree so that his playing time doesn’t get slashed, and the plan was always to jump after the season. Maybe the Wild are in on the plan and also making it sound like he’s going to resign. Would be smart on their end tbh

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Those prospect ranking threads are pure gold lol. Lots of hot takes being tossed around.
Credit to DB though, he has walked some of the Faber stuff back.

But anyways, even if Yurov is “more ready” than Faber for his eventual translation to the NHL… wouldn’t that be a good thing?
Faber is a stud, and for Yurov to even be challenging those comparisons is nothing but a good problem for us.
Doesn’t matter what I say or walk back, some will always cling to things like their life depends on it.

You’d think with all this talk about whether or not he has re-signed, including articles being written about it by Russo and/or Smith, that the kid would definitely be considered NHL ready and likely top 6 ready. Just a thought.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe he’s saying he’ll agree so that his playing time doesn’t get slashed, and the plan was always to jump after the season. Maybe the Wild are in on the plan and also making it sound like he’s going to resign. Would be smart on their end tbh

This would be the best Christmas present ever

Reactions: Digitalbooya

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Doesn’t matter what I say or walk back, some will always cling to things like their life depends on it.

You’d think with all this talk about whether or not he has re-signed, including articles being written about it by Russo and/or Smith, that the kid would definitely be considered NHL ready and likely top 6 ready. Just a thought.
The only one clinging to anything is you clinging to your erroneous assessment of Faber as a prospect. Just because he was initially placed on the 3rd pair doesn’t mean he couldn’t have succeeded higher up the lineup like he has this year.

Do you really think he went from a 5D to a 1D in a single offseason? Of course not.

If Yurov comes over he will get more immediate opportunity because of how our roster is built. Doesn’t mean he was more NHL ready.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Faber has to be the #1 best at everything, apparently

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm still wrestling with the non wet water idea, and am in no way able to consider a debate on the relative values of Yurov/Faber.

• Haha
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad