Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Russian winger Danila Yurov is playing in the Metallurg Magnitogorsk system, splitting time between the KHL and MHL. He struggled to get ice time in the KHL, playing mainly on the fourth line. He didn’t put up a point in 21 regular season games or 19 playoff games. However, he was very good at the MHL level. In 23 games, he scored 13 goals and 26 assists for 36 points. Yurov also had a goal at the World Juniors, but the tournament was postponed due to a COVID-19 outbreak.

In 2020-21, he scored one goal and one assist in 21 KHL games, as well as one goal in three playoff games. In the MHL, he scored 13 goals and 12 assists for 25 points in 23 games. He also added two goals and three points in three playoff games. Yurov represented Russia at the IIHF Under-18 World Hockey Championships. He scored four goals and seven assists for 11 points in seven tournament games and helped his team to a silver medal. In 2019-20 he put up two goals and six assists for eight points in six games at the U17 World Hockey Challenge. He helped Russia to a gold medal.

Reactions: TaLoN

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
So we get a top 12 talent who's main risk is out of his control

Plus a really hard player to play against with a good shot in Ohgren.

This is turning around a very good draft for 2 later 1sts.

Reactions: rynryn

P10p

May 15, 2012
He didn't produce in the KHL while there yet they tend not to give kids too much playing time.
He got 22 games to end the year in which he saw something like 6 minutes of ice time. It averaged out to 22seconds a game. Looking forward to him next year.

Reactions: ThatGuy22

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He didn't produce in the KHL while there yet they tend not to give kids too much playing time.
There is a post in the prospect thread that said he dressed 22 straight games at the end of the season in the KHL, after the MHL was over. He saw like 6 minutes and 30 seconds of icetime total. 22 seconds a game.

KHL teams ice 13 forwards and 7 defenseman. He was the 13th forward for a good team that lost in the finals. Shouldn't read anything into his KHL stats.

Reactions: ViD

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Like it enough to also like the Ohgren pick.
It's amazing how the 2nd pick and make the first pick look better than it was initially. Didn't "hate" the 19th pick initially, but wasn't thrilled either... now I'm ok with it more because of how we did with this one.

Reactions: rynryn and AKL

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Not that I think this guys is a great source, but I found it interesting how highly he was ranked by scouts

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Not sure how I feel about drafting a Russian. Who knows if they can or want to come to NA?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not sure how I feel about drafting a Russian. Who knows if they can or want to come to NA?

Well if he never comes over, we can get a #56 pick for compensation in a few years

Reactions: Leeves

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Well if he never comes over, we can get a #56 pick for compensation in a few years
Meh.

Hopefully he does come over. Looks like a promising player with great upside.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh.

Hopefully he does come over. Looks like a promising player with great upside.
I think it's worth the risk... and the upside could be great!
That risk however, makes me more glad we have a bit of a safer bet at #19 by comparison. Less upside, but safer bet to actually impact the NHL roster.

Reactions: keppel146 and Lapa

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
It will take some time before it happens but a Yurov and Khusnutdinov line would be fun to watch. Both attack the offensive zone with the type of speed and skill that few can match. All out assault on defenders gaps at the blue line.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the current russian factor and our lack of center depth (see kraken) makes me wonder about the choice however i have been begging for a complimentary russian player for kaprizov so i should be onboard with this pick.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
the current russian factor and our lack of center depth (see kraken) makes me wonder about the choice however i have been begging for a complimentary russian player for kaprizov so i should be onboard with this pick.

Let’s see how the 2nd and 3rd round play out. I think we should continue to hammer the forward button given our lack of relative depth in the system once Rossi graduates (pretty much just Beckman and Khusnitsdov). It could be that if our front office had both of these guys in the top 11 and the centers lower on the board the relative value was too much to pass up. I would love to add a couple of center options to our system though.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Rossi
Khusnutdinov
Hentges
Dewar
Khovanov
Nesterenko
Bankier

Center depth isn't the problem. It's the lack of high end center prospects. You use the Kraken as an example, but I don't see how that's reasonable. They used the #2 pick in 2021 to get Beniers and the #4 pick this year to get Wright. You realize it's been 17 years since the Wild had that high of a draft pick, right?

Since 2010, the Wild have had four total top 10 picks. Two were defensemen (Brodin and Dumba). Two were centers (Granlund and Rossi).

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Rossi
Khusnutdinov
Hentges
Dewar
Khovanov
Nesterenko
Bankier

Center depth isn't the problem. It's the lack of high end center prospects. You use the Kraken as an example, but I don't see how that's reasonable. They used the #2 pick in 2021 to get Beniers and the #4 pick this year to get Wright. You realize it's been 17 years since the Wild had that high of a draft pick, right?

Since 2010, the Wild have had four total top 10 picks. Two were defensemen (Brodin and Dumba). Two were centers (Granlund and Rossi).
I see one players that have a chance at being a top 6 center with serious questions about if they can stick at the position. One player with a chance to be a middle 6 center and a number of other players that I have questions about being NHL caliber. That’s a huge problem.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I see one players that have a chance at being a top 6 center with serious questions about if they can stick at the position. One player with a chance to be a middle 6 center and a number of other players that I have questions about being NHL caliber. That’s a huge problem.
How do you fix the problem when you don't have high draft picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad