Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm Yurov's biggest fan on these boards (not open for discussion, not taking any feedback at this time), and I have to say, Yurov has a ton of raw skill, but he's not the finished product at this time. I would expect if he comes over next year that he's somewhere between this season's Rossi and Boldy, in the sense that he does more good than bad, can at times truly drive play, and generally knows where to be on the ice and reads the play well, but he's not a consistent line driver at the NHL level, imo. Skating isn't gonna hold him back, the physicality isn't gonna hold him back.

I think he would play well with Hartman and Boldy, at least to start, as they're two guys that can win puck battles, especially along the boards, and distribute to Yurov who's excellent at finding the soft spots, but can also score because Yurov is a good distributor himself. Hartman can also cover some of the faceoffs, because that's one of Yurov's pretty glaring weaknesses as a center at this point.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm Yurov's biggest fan on these boards (not open for discussion, not taking any feedback at this time), and I have to say, Yurov has a ton of raw skill, but he's not the finished product at this time. I would expect if he comes over next year that he's somewhere between this season's Rossi and Boldy, in the sense that he does more good than bad, can at times truly drive play, and generally knows where to be on the ice and reads the play well, but he's not a consistent line driver at the NHL level, imo. Skating isn't gonna hold him back, the physicality isn't gonna hold him back.

I think he would play well with Hartman and Boldy, at least to start, as they're two guys that can win puck battles, especially along the boards, and distribute to Yurov who's excellent at finding the soft spots, but can also score because Yurov is a good distributor himself. Hartman can also cover some of the faceoffs, because that's one of Yurov's pretty glaring weaknesses as a center at this point.
So Rossi gets stuck with "the shit players"?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So Rossi gets stuck with "the shit players"?

Well it's my opinion that Zuccarello is pretty "shit" at this point, wouldn't mind finding a replacement for him up there, but Kaprizov has already started to turn it around and I think he won't be as bad next season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well it's my opinion that Zuccarello is pretty "shit" at this point, wouldn't mind finding a replacement for him up there, but Kaprizov has already started to turn it around and I think he won't be as bad next season.
Oh, so JEE goes down to 3rd line?

Will really get complicated if Yurov turns out to be a C. We'll have gone from not enough of them, to too many. I guess Hartman can always play RW.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Will really get complicated if Yurov turns out to be a C. We'll have gone from not enough of them, to too many. I guess Hartman can always play RW.

That would be a good problem to have.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I mean they can always keep Yurov at wing unless there is an injury or two.

Yurov - JEE - Kaprizov
Zuccarello - Rossi - Boldy
Foligno - Hartman - Johansson

Or something like that

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
The Wild are not going to make decisions based on whether or not a KHL team is supportive or not.

If the KHL team is too uncomfortable at the thought of getting their 1C back slightly into the season… That sounds like a them problem, not a Minnesota problem. There are always other options for Yurov to play.

I’m of the opinion Yurov is already better than Johansson, Zuccarello, Foligno, Maroon, Gaudreau, etc. He should have no problem getting playing time, ergo he shouldn’t need to be sent down or loaned out.
I didn’t mean the Wild have to make their decisions based on what his KHL team supports. Clearly the Wild will do what is best for the Wild. If we do get him to sign here, I highly doubt the wild will want to loan him back if he struggles out of the gate.

All I’m saying is that the loan option sounds like a good idea in theory, but the power struggle to control a players rights can get ugly for the player and be a drag on their development. If both parties are cool with an NHL contract/KHL loan, then great. Just doubt that happens. Can’t imagine the Wild being eager to let him head back to Russia after the situation with Kaprizov a couple off seasons ago.

I’d love him over here next year too, but this team is much more than a young Yurov away from doing any kind of damage. One more year in Russia, if it happens, isn’t going to worry me too much.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
Tie goal in the final second of regulation

OT winning goal, for some reason an empty net in OT

I guess looking at standings I kind of get why they pulled the goalie in OT for the win, and don't know if the KHL has the same rule about pulling the goalie in OT leading to no loser point. Still an odd sight relative to NHL standards.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I guess looking at standings I kind of get why they pulled the goalie in OT for the win, and don't know if the KHL has the same rule about pulling the goalie in OT leading to no loser point. Still an odd sight relative to NHL standards.

I like to imagine that the goalie was so afraid of getting beat by Yurov again that he refused to play another minute.

• Haha
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

I'm pretty sure I saw the OT goalie pull in a KHL game months ago this season, so it can't just be a late season standings thing.

Checked just to make sure I'm not imagining it, and Yurov's team lost to another team that pulled their goalie 14 seconds into the OT and scored a minute later. Happened in October.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Puling goalies and playing 4 vs 3 in OT is pretty typical in the KHL, the league doesn't have the same rule as the NHL, so if a team loses it still gets 1 point.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
All I’m saying is that the loan option sounds like a good idea in theory, but the power struggle to control a players rights can get ugly for the player and be a drag on their development. If both parties are cool with an NHL contract/KHL loan, then great. Just doubt that happens. Can’t imagine the Wild being eager to let him head back to Russia after the situation with Kaprizov a couple off seasons ago.

I don't understand this part. What is the power struggle? What is the drag on his development? Are the two parties you're referring to the Wild and MMG? If the Wild aren't eager about letting him go back to Russia, shouldn't they want him on his ELC so that if they do loan him back to MMG, he still has to come back the following year?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Puling goalies and playing 4 vs 3 in OT is pretty typical in the KHL, the league doesn't have the same rule as the NHL, so if a team loses it still gets 1 point.
The team in the NHL still gets a point if they lose in OT too, though, don't they? Am I going crazy?

Anyway, do you have any indication of how well a team does when they pull their goalie in OT? I'd love to know the record of teams in that situation.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
The team in the NHL still gets a point if they lose in OT too, though, don't they? Am I going crazy?

Anyway, do you have any indication of how well a team does when they pull their goalie in OT? I'd love to know the record of teams in that situation.

There's an obscure rule where you don't get the "loser point" if you pull the goalie in OT and get scored on.

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker -A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
There's an obscure rule where you don't get the "loser point" if you pull the goalie in OT and get scored on.
Interesting, I never knew that rule existed. Well, I guess that takes that tactic out of the NHL. Not sure I love that they nipped that in the bud, as it seems like it might make OT more interesting, but I guess they had a specific product in mind.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Interesting, I never knew that rule existed. Well, I guess that takes that tactic out of the NHL. Not sure I love that they nipped that in the bud, as it seems like it might make OT more interesting, but I guess they had a specific product in mind.

It definitely makes OT more interesting, so it's hard to say why NHL is against it.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
I don't understand this part. What is the power struggle? What is the drag on his development? Are the two parties you're referring to the Wild and MMG? If the Wild aren't eager about letting him go back to Russia, shouldn't they want him on his ELC so that if they do loan him back to MMG, he still has to come back the following year?
Yeah, the Wild should want him on his ELC. Again, I’m just highly doubtful they would want to go the loan option with him. I just don’t see them wanting to send him on loan to the KHL to a team who no longer has any hope of long term control of him or reason to be invested in his development. Especially with the MOU technically on pause between the two leagues, and situations like the Fedotov thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00