Prospect Info: Daniil Karpovich (#186 - 6th Round - 2023 Draft)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
neat little post-draft interview with Karpovich if anyone's interested: Даниил Карпович о драфте: белорусский хоккей это заслужил, мы двигаемся в правильном направлении

pretty funny line in there too (roughly translated):

The most interesting thing is that the New Jersey never contacted me at all. My agent was in Nashville, he texted me: "New Jersey, congratulations!". I didn't believe it myself at first. Then we spoke with representatives of the club. I asked why they chose me, because we had not even contacted. They told me that they see that I am a good hockey player, they do not need to know me personally. Apparently they chose me because of the recommendations of @StevenToddIves and @Guadana who both told New Jersey of my hockey ability.
I fixed the full quote for you.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Friendship ended with Muk. Karp is my new best friend.
The Devils MHL scouting is absolutely insane. MHLers drafted in last 5 drafts:

LD Daniil Misyul (3rd): now a very good KHL defender and looks like could be a 3rd pairing NHLer right now.
LW Arseni Gritsyuk (5th): a burgeoning superstar in the KHL and neck-and-neck with 7th overall Holtz as the Devils' top F prospect.

None, and this was clearly a mistake judging by the overall low quality of the Devils final 4 picks (Pitlik, Edwards, Baumgartner, Shlaine).

C/LW Zakhar Bardakov (7th): currently a very good, physical supporting F in the KHL and a legit NHL bottom-6 prospect.

LD Daniil Orlov (4th): fastest D in the Devils system aside from Luke Hughes, and progressing nicely in his defensive and offensive play.
RD Artem Barabosha (7th): most physical D in the Devils system progressing nicely and all indications of a legit NHL prospect

LD Daniil Karpovich (7th): not just the best Devils pick of 2023, but the best prospect.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
The Devils MHL scouting is absolutely insane. MHLers drafted in last 5 drafts:

LD Daniil Misyul (3rd): now a very good KHL defender and looks like could be a 3rd pairing NHLer right now.
LW Arseni Gritsyuk (5th): a burgeoning superstar in the KHL and neck-and-neck with 7th overall Holtz as the Devils' top F prospect.

None, and this was clearly a mistake judging by the overall low quality of the Devils final 4 picks (Pitlik, Edwards, Baumgartner, Shlaine).

C/LW Zakhar Bardakov (7th): currently a very good, physical supporting F in the KHL and a legit NHL bottom-6 prospect.

LD Daniil Orlov (4th): fastest D in the Devils system aside from Luke Hughes, and progressing nicely in his defensive and offensive play.
RD Artem Barabosha (7th): most physical D in the Devils system progressing nicely and all indications of a legit NHL prospect

LD Daniil Karpovich (7th): not just the best Devils pick of 2023, but the best prospect.
Perhaps we should simply draft everyone from the MHL

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Perhaps we should simply draft everyone from the MHL
Presumably after the first round that wouldn’t be the worst idea. You ultimately have to find value in the draft and they have done a great job of that in thr MHL. Throw in a high upside kid like Filmon in late rounds when the opportunity arises and that’s a valid strategy. Whoever thought Ham n eggo was the best prospect in that spot with a first round grade does not inspire confidence with the skating issues. Maybe whoever evaluated skating thinks it’s correctable but this is the same staff that picked Salminen who hasn’t lived up to his draft spot either. My issue isn’t whether a player pans out but learn your lessons why some guys hit and some miss. If Butcher Salminen Smith and Holtz haven’t shown them that plus skating is right up there with smarts and compete they aren’t paying attention. All of this guys have plus skills and will compete but it’s just not enough. I’m contrast Bratt gets 110% out of his talent because he has the skating to make use of his skills and compete.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Steve is here really thos good of a prospect ? I certainly value your opinion and insight. I find it crazy that he went in the 6th round. I wonder what it is that other teams saw besides the Russian/Belarusian factor.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Steve is here really thos good of a prospect ? I certainly value your opinion and insight. I find it crazy that he went in the 6th round. I wonder what it is that other teams saw besides the Russian/Belarusian factor.
It's as simple as this -- teams do no see the prospects.

Anaheim has not drafted an MHL skater since 2020. Neither has Boston, Calgary, the Islanders, the Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia or Seattle. Knowing 1/4th of NHL teams don't scout the league -- and several others probably don't take it so seriously -- allows teams to wait a bit on the under-the-radar MHL prospects.

We even see this in the draft-writing media, where the only Russians treated as major prospects skate in the KHL as draft eligibles.

This year the MHL had two defensemen (Ishimnikov, Karpovich) who I had ranked as borderline first round prospects, and they went in the 5th and 6th rounds. I had three forwards ranked similarly (Kantserov, Mukhanov, Rykov) and they all fell below where they deserved as well.

No one is going to be right all the time. But the fact that every year I seem to hit on Russian prospects the draft media and NHL teams largely miss on (Gritsyuk, Nikishin, Rashevsky, et al) should at least make the players I'm overly lauding at least worth keeping an eye on.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It's as simple as this -- teams do no see the prospects.

Anaheim has not drafted an MHL skater since 2020. Neither has Boston, Calgary, the Islanders, the Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia or Seattle. Knowing 1/4th of NHL teams don't scout the league -- and several others probably don't take it so seriously -- allows teams to wait a bit on the under-the-radar MHL prospects.

We even see this in the draft-writing media, where the only Russians treated as major prospects skate in the KHL as draft eligibles.

This year the MHL had two defensemen (Ishimnikov, Karpovich) who I had ranked as borderline first round prospects, and they went in the 5th and 6th rounds. I had three forwards ranked similarly (Kantserov, Mukhanov, Rykov) and they all fell below where they deserved as well.

No one is going to be right all the time. But the fact that every year I seem to hit on Russian prospects the draft media and NHL teams largely miss on (Gritsyuk, Nikishin, Rashevsky, et al) should at least make the players I'm overly lauding at least worth keeping an eye on.
And it’s the easiest league to scout. All games on YouTube.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad