Prospect Info: Daniil Karpovich (#186 - 6th Round - 2023 Draft)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I have some info for Devils fans who is interesting in.
Avtomobilist (khl team) made an offer, but they were principal in term - they wanted only 3+ years. Karpovich wants to make a ride to NA earlier. So there is a big chance we will see him in AHL soon.
I'm not so excited about his decision, because I don't really like how AHL develop defensive positional game. But it definitely not the worst trajectory and we will see him sooner.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I have some info for Devils fans who is interesting in.
Avtomobilist (khl team) made an offer, but they were principal in term - they wanted only 3+ years. Karpovich wants to make a ride to NA earlier. So there is a big chance we will see him in AHL soon.
I'm not so excited about his decision, because I don't really like how AHL develop defensive positional game. But it definitely not the worst trajectory and we will see him sooner.
I'm surprised he wasn't drafted in the CHL import draft for this exact reason.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He just sign the deal with Grodno(very beautiful place). May be everybody expected he will sign with Avtomobilist. May be even Avtomobilist and Karpovich himself.
Eliteprospects doesn't have him with a contract atm, are you saying he will 100% play in MHL this year then move to NA?

Signed 1 year contract with club from Belarusian Extraleague
Sorry, didn't see this post. I'm assuming this league is weaker than MHL, even as a mens league. Not a fan of this development.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

I stand corrected

Screenshot_20230807-212145_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm very skeptical of the Czech league's translation factor because the NHL players that go there tend to be Czech players in their very late 30s/early 40s, and it never works the other way around. If the Czech league were that good, we would be seeing more players come directly from that league into the NHL, and we just don't.

Also agree that since most Western European players have left the KHL, it has to be significantly worse now and those leagues have to be better.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Eliteprospects doesn't have him with a contract atm, are you saying he will 100% play in MHL this year then move to NA?

Sorry, didn't see this post. I'm assuming this league is weaker than MHL, even as a mens league. Not a fan of this development.
Belarus isn’t the strongest league absolute, but it is still men league. And overall it’s about talent of specific player. He played in MHL, now he will playing in AHL, after he will playing in AHL. Should we summ of % or how? If he is smart enough and talented enough, he will figure it out one year earlier or one year later. For now I have some qu about his game, mostly with positioning and timings, will see.

Karpovich probably signed deal with Grodno to start getting used to red and black colors :laugh:

He could sign with Omsk(it’s a joke, guys, who doesn’t know, Omsk Avangard has red and black Jersey too), but preferred more optimistic urban environment. (*Wisper*And before going to Newark)

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Belarus isn’t the strongest league absolute, but it is still men league. And overall it’s about talent of specific player. He played in MHL, now he will playing in AHL, after he will playing in AHL. Should we summ of % or how? If he is smart enough and talented enough, he will figure it out one year earlier or one year later. For now I have some qu about his game, mostly with positioning and timings, will see.

He could sign with Omsk(it’s a joke, guys, who doesn’t know, Omsk Avangard has red and black Jersey too), but preferred more optimistic urban environment. (*Wisper*And before going to Newark)
If he plays a year in Belarus and then moves over to the AHL it will be the responsibility of the NJ management to give him a good learning environment. Misyul will be there this season so the organization will at least have a chance to work with him to help ease any adjustment to living in the US and playing the western style of game. As you said, ultimately the player’s talent and effort decides his fate. If Karpovich has the potential that you and @StevenToddIves see in him it sounds like he has an excellent chance to eventually play in thr NHL. If that is his dream I cannot fault him for trying to get to the AHL quicker if he sees that as the way to learn how to play NHL hockey. Let’s see how it goes for Misyul and maybe that will give us an idea of how it might play out for Karpovich.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If he plays a year in Belarus and then moves over to the AHL it will be the responsibility of the NJ management to give him a good learning environment. Misyul will be there this season so the organization will at least have a chance to work with him to help ease any adjustment to living in the US and playing the western style of game. As you said, ultimately the player’s talent and effort decides his fate. If Karpovich has the potential that you and @StevenToddIves see in him it sounds like he has an excellent chance to eventually play in thr NHL. If that is his dream I cannot fault him for trying to get to the AHL quicker if he sees that as the way to learn how to play NHL hockey. Let’s see how it goes for Misyul and maybe that will give us an idea of how it might play out for Karpovich.
I have some questions I mentioned before. And especially with this issues I’m not as happy that he preferred AHL because I did it saw how players specifically fixed this part of the game. Or at least fixed this part from “not AHL level competent enough” to ”NHL level competent enough”. At least not so often. But may be he is talented and he will develop part of it or full of it and will compensate everything he needs compensate by physical tools. Overall he doesn’t even need to develop into the top-4 defenseman. But I think with good coaches he can do it, he has all the tools, it’s just a matter of mind and decision making.

He has a lot of time for development. Bahl has two years. After/parallel that Vilen and Misyul will compete for the third pair role. Siegenthaler signed for 5 more years. So with slide or couple of slides Karpovich easily has 4-5 years of development. I truly hope Devils will not trade him.
Because in the perfect world he could be some kind of limited version of Sergachyov. He isn’t offensive first defenseman with lack of defensive potential, who will be justified by his beautiful hands and bright highlights. He isn’t defensive only D, who has limited potential if can’t be very smart/pro active/positionally competent. He is physically gifted two way defenseman with very interesting potential, who can be great cheap addition for another Stanley Cup run or more.
Jack Hughes has many years ahead, may be 10 or even more(look at Crosby), we should surround him by competent two way players for all this years. Not for Dougie-Siegs-Marino-Palat period. When their actual deals will end, Hughes will be only 26-27, Hischier will be 28-29, Mercer will be 25-26. Our next contending window could only starts there. So I don’t really wanted to trade talented physical two way defenseman, who can start to pan out right in this period, for some bottom liner or complimentary middle six forward for a couple of seasons.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have some questions I mentioned before. And especially with this issues I’m not as happy that he preferred AHL because I did it saw how players specifically fixed this part of the game. Or at least fixed this part from “not AHL level competent enough” to ”NHL level competent enough”. At least not so often. But may be he is talented and he will develop part of it or full of it and will compensate everything he needs compensate by physical tools. Overall he doesn’t even need to develop into the top-4 defenseman. But I think with good coaches he can do it, he has all the tools, it’s just a matter of mind and decision making.

He has a lot of time for development. Bahl has two years. After/parallel that Vilen and Misyul will compete for the third pair role. Siegenthaler signed for 5 more years. So with slide or couple of slides Karpovich easily has 4-5 years of development. I truly hope Devils will not trade him.
Because in the perfect world he could be some kind of limited version of Sergachyov. He isn’t offensive first defenseman with lack of defensive potential, who will be justified by his beautiful hands and bright highlights. He isn’t defensive only D, who has limited potential if can’t be very smart/pro active/positionally competent. He is physically gifted two way defenseman with very interesting potential, who can be great cheap addition for another Stanley Cup run or more.
Jack Hughes has many years ahead, may be 10 or even more(look at Crosby), we should surround him by competent two way players for all this years. Not for Dougie-Siegs-Marino-Palat period. When their actual deals will end, Hughes will be only 26-27, Hischier will be 28-29, Mercer will be 25-26. Our next contending window could only starts there. So I don’t really wanted to trade talented physical two way defenseman, who can start to pan out right in this period, for some bottom liner or complimentary middle six forward for a couple of seasons.
That's a great evaluation. Thanks for sharing that with us. Interesting observation. I expect competent AHL coaching would help with his decision making as will general experience and game reps as he gets older. You do have to layer in the added complication that he may or may not be able to work in an English speaking environment. Hopefully NJ sees the same talents you do. He sounds like a very underrated prospect.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Top 5-6 teams from Belarusian Extraleague comparable by level with second Russia league(VHL). Funny fact, all teams from extraleague in this season are the farms of Dinamo Minsk from KHL :)
Its very fun thing, because all of my belorusian devils buddies (from vk group) are hating Rotenberg, who is using Sochi as farm club and paying all of their bills. But when Minsk is using all of the belorusian hockey system - "no, its a different thing")

Overall I don't see any problem. In both cases. I hope Minsk will made VHL team or may be even a couple after time. And I hope for the same with creating more MHL teams. Great too see more developing talents from there.

What’s the extraleague?
Belorusian men league. Better than Mhl, not as good as second Russian league, but still there are some good teams and competition for 18-19 yo defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad