Prospect Info: Daniil Karpovich (#186 - 6th Round - 2023 Draft)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yesterday was his first game in preseason tournament. And in postmatch interview he said that wanted to move to NA already in this season, but it didn't work out
I presume the team wants him to marinate for a season or two before they look to bring him over to North America. Utica defense is crowded for at least another season most likely. Misyul, Vilen, and probably still Nemec are all young but ahead of Karpovich in the prospect pecking order. Vukojevic is also still there. At the end of the season I'd expect Casey to be there as well. Karpovich will have to wait his turn but it's good to see him eager to join the organization.

Reactions: Guadana

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
This kid is awesome. I like that he atleast wants to come over here asap. The CHL would of been a great place for him to go to. I'm guessing he would of gave it a shot if a tram drafted him in thr CHL draft. I'm not sure if CHL teams can sign free agents from other countries since they have a limit of how many players they can sign outside of NA.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If he plays a year in Belarus and then moves over to the AHL it will be the responsibility of the NJ management to give him a good learning environment. Misyul will be there this season so the organization will at least have a chance to work with him to help ease any adjustment to living in the US and playing the western style of game. As you said, ultimately the player’s talent and effort decides his fate. If Karpovich has the potential that you and @StevenToddIves see in him it sounds like he has an excellent chance to eventually play in thr NHL. If that is his dream I cannot fault him for trying to get to the AHL quicker if he sees that as the way to learn how to play NHL hockey. Let’s see how it goes for Misyul and maybe that will give us an idea of how it might play out for Karpovich.
Karpovich is an 18-year old, 6'3-210 with plus skating and puck skills and a borderline elite shot. He's willing to play physically and shows good general instincts on both sides of the puck. Just reading that, even a layperson could divine that there's really good potential in this player.

Again, if Karpovich would have been drafted in the 30-40 overall range, I would have said it was an excellent pick for whomever made it. His skill set is just too enticing to ignore. But he was playing in the MHL, and a native of Belarus, and we all know how that goes when NHL teams draft.

There's no reason not to be excited about Karpovich, but as @Guadana wisely cautions us, we also need to be patient. This is a player who is still on the lower rungs of his development curve and he's certainly a ways away from challenging for an NHL roster.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Karpovich is an 18-year old, 6'3-210 with plus skating and puck skills and a borderline elite shot. He's willing to play physically and shows good general instincts on both sides of the puck. Just reading that, even a layperson could divine that there's really good potential in this player.

Again, if Karpovich would have been drafted in the 30-40 overall range, I would have said it was an excellent pick for whomever made it. His skill set is just too enticing to ignore. But he was playing in the MHL, and a native of Belarus, and we all know how that goes when NHL teams draft.

There's no reason not to be excited about Karpovich, but as @Guadana wisely cautions us, we also need to be patient. This is a player who is still on the lower rungs of his development curve and he's certainly a ways away from challenging for an NHL roster.
Really a testament to the NJ scouting they keep coming up with these gems. It makes it surprising to me that the same staff picked a guy like Salminen in the third round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Really a testament to the NJ scouting they keep coming up with these gems. It makes it surprising to me that the same staff picked a guy like Salminen in the third round.
Again, I'd say the Devils Russian scouting is top-notch. The NJ scouting in Finland is tough to knock because of Vilen, but the fact they don't seem to consider skating much of a necessity when scouting forwards (Salminen, Hameenaho) is a bit of a concern for me. Particularly because they get a lot of influence at the draft table, since Salminen/Hameenaho were both selected higher than the Devils have drafted a Russian-league player since Mukhamadullin.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Again, I'd say the Devils Russian scouting is top-notch. The NJ scouting in Finland is tough to knock because of Vilen, but the fact they don't seem to consider skating much of a necessity when scouting forwards (Salminen, Hameenaho) is a bit of a concern for me. Particularly because they get a lot of influence at the draft table, since Salminen/Hameenaho were both selected higher than the Devils have drafted a Russian-league player since Mukhamadullin.
Wow. That’s an excellent observation. I hadn’t thought of it in those terms. Thanks as always for sharing your insights.

Reactions: Guadana

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Wow. That’s an excellent observation. I hadn’t thought of it in those terms. Thanks as always for sharing your insights.
It's still early to call Salminen a bust , he hasn't exactly been great since we took him but he still has potential to be something. It's crazy to think how deeper or prospect pool could be if we didn't take him and Stillman.

Stanislav Svozil went 1 pick after Saliminen. Zellweger went a few picks after Stillman. There isn't anything to crazy that went after our 2 guys in that pick range. I'd take Svozil and Zellweger all day in hindsight but even if they were in the system than we would be very very over crowded on defense. Good chance one of them goes the other way in the Meier deal as well.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

"I didn't want to return to Russia"

Well, we now know he's got a smart head on his shoulders. Good move kid.

Everybody eats own narratives in media, but its not the perfect translation. But if you like it so much, so let's leave it as it is.

It's still early to call Salminen a bust , he hasn't exactly been great since we took him but he still has potential to be something. It's crazy to think how deeper or prospect pool could be if we didn't take him and Stillman.

Stanislav Svozil went 1 pick after Saliminen. Zellweger went a few picks after Stillman. There isn't anything to crazy that went after our 2 guys in that pick range. I'd take Svozil and Zellweger all day in hindsight but even if they were in the system than we would be very very over crowded on defense. Good chance one of them goes the other way in the Meier deal as well.

We have to go through the bargaining stage and move smoothly towards the acceptance stage.
There are few more prospects we will know we should drafted them over what we did by draft spot or two earlier. Devils just can't hit the apple every time. Even if sometimes it looks obvious for some of us.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Seems to be a lot of excitement for this pick - how did he drop to the 6th round? Is it just a matter of being raw, playing in the MHL, the Russian factor or all of the above? I was surprised to see him included in the original lineup for the prospect ranking poll.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Everybody eats own narratives in media, but its not the perfect translation. But if you like it so much, so let's leave it as it is.
Actually up to now I thought the kid was Russian and I was speaking towards the context of him wanting to avoid the meat grinder in Ukraine. Word is Putin is ready to roll out another mobilization and the longer this war drags out the less safe it for any young Russian male.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I get the concern regarding the lack of focus on skating, but they may be taking these Finn's higher then these MHL Russians because they know other teams aren't out there scouting them. They know they will have good Russian options later in the draft.

Like you said above you would have been happy taking him late 1st early 2nd, but Devils know they don't need to use that high of a pick.
Seems to be a lot of excitement for this pick - how did he drop to the 6th round? Is it just a matter of being raw, playing in the MHL, the Russian factor or all of the above? I was surprised to see him included in the original lineup for the prospect ranking poll.
Ya, def think it's the Russian factor. And that factor leads teams to not scout out there. Does the war multiply that concern? Probably.

I also think teams like having the players accessible during the developmental period. Getting them into prospect camp, getting them in to the AHL, being able to keep an eye on them during the way.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Speaking of Belarussian D prospects, was just surfing Elite Prospects and saw Artyom Levshunov on one of Karpovich's teams.

17 year old, 6'2" 200 lb's, put up a bunch of points in the USHL, slated to go to Michigan State next year.

Not seeing many 2024 draft lists yet, but he doesn't appear to be flying under the radar. Not with those #'s in the USHL and going the NCAA route.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Actually up to now I thought the kid was Russian and I was speaking towards the context of him wanting to avoid the meat grinder in Ukraine. Word is Putin is ready to roll out another mobilization and the longer this war drags out the less safe it for any young Russian male.
Now let's hope that no one from the assistant coaches from North America will harass him. You're starting the wrong conversation and it's better not to continue it. And there is no smell of intelligence and smarts here.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Now let's hope that no one from the assistant coaches from North America will harass him. You're starting the wrong conversation and it's better not to continue it. And there is no smell of intelligence and smarts here.
What on Earth are you talking about? Why would anyone harass him? That makes zero sense and no idea why you're taking issue about my comments, I'm only making clear that my opinion has nothing to do with living in Russia, just the realities of war.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
What on Earth are you talking about? Why would anyone harass him? That makes zero sense and no idea why you're taking issue about my comments, I'm only making clear that my opinion has nothing to do with living in Russia, just the realities of war.
I think he was thinking about the "meat grinder" comment. The Russia story is fraught with issues but as someone who worked with a ton of Russians, I have trouble feeling anything but sorrow for the people. Many left and the many left behind feel ideologically, emotionally, or physically trapped in this nightmare that we cannot image. We get to talk about Devils hockey. So I think out of respect to all the folks who see not just personal, but generational anxiety around them, we should just not broach the subject of Russia/Ukraine effect on hockey. I might disgree with that because it's just reality, but I have a ton of sympathy for folks in that region.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Kyle Beach thinks differently.
Its not a place for that, its better to no talk about what you know nothing about. Without arranging political swearing in general. Its a hockey board.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Kyle Beach thinks differently.
Its not a place for that, its better to no talk about what you know nothing about. Without arranging political swearing in general. Its a hockey board.
I have not meant any disrespect intentionally, you on the other continue to insult my intelligence.

And Kyle Beach...??? Yeah let's end this right now.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I think he was thinking about the "meat grinder" comment. The Russia story is fraught with issues but as someone who worked with a ton of Russians, I have trouble feeling anything but sorrow for the people. Many left and the many left behind feel ideologically, emotionally, or physically trapped in this nightmare that we cannot image. We get to talk about Devils hockey. So I think out of respect to all the folks who see not just personal, but generational anxiety around them, we should just not broach the subject of Russia/Ukraine effect on hockey. I might disgree with that because it's just reality, but I have a ton of sympathy for folks in that region.
I have no idea what he's getting offended about to be honest. But I agree on dropping it.

Reactions: devilsblood

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't know why you would silo the Devils scouts in this way, and I don't know why anyone would conclude on the basis of a few picks which scouts have more influence where. Dennehy said he thought Hameenaho was a 1st round pick on their board, did he not see him at all?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know why you would silo the Devils scouts in this way, and I don't know why anyone would conclude on the basis of a few picks which scouts have more influence where. Dennehy said he thought Hameenaho was a 1st round pick on their board, did he not see him at all?
You're absolutely right. I should've said I was speculating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad