Confirmed with Link: Danielson signs 3 year ELC

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yes, NHL is the exception. This is why they can't play in the AHL.
Which is interesting...The AHL is obviously better than the WHL. I can only imagine it is because they don't want players leaving their league's early because of ticket sales and their profit? If that is the reason then it makes sense, but at the same time, they should change the agreement to like a payout for X amount of dollars that changes with the draft pick used.

Like if a player was picked #1-3 and the NHL team wants that pick to play in the AHL, then they pay the WHL team X amount of dollars to allow it to happen. Like a buyout. If the player is picked #4-10 then it would be Y amount of dollars (obviously lower than the X amount) and so on.

That way they take a payoff that keeps their revenue growing, while not pissing off higher leagues? Not sure how pissed off they would be, if at all, but whatever.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
So for clarification here:

The benefit of signing him now is it gives us the option to play him in the NHL for under 10 games and not lose a year of his ELC, the "downside" is that he is being paid by DET at this point.

VS

Not signing him, he would be unable to play anywhere outside of the WHL for this season BUT we wouldn't have to pay him

Yes?
If he's signed, then he's covered by a rule that requires that if he is assigned by his NHL team it must be to the team he was drafted from, so unless the team he was drafted from (and the league) waive that clause, then in signing him he has to go back to the team that drafted him.

Of course, if unsigned he's covered by a similar clause in the WHL deal, so there's perhaps not much if any difference there.

If he plays in the WHL he doesn't get any NHL or AHL salary but does receive whatever signing bonus called for under his deal with Detroit, which capfriendly is showing as being $95,000.

That I know, my question was more so about if it changed by the round they were drafted. I believe Russian players right go on forever as well.
The round a player was drafted in does not affect how many years the drafting team keeps exclusive negotiating rights.

When a player is drafted from a league outside North America, the time the drafting club has exclusive negotiating rights depends on the age of the player when drafted. If the player is 18 or 19 on Sept 15 of his draft year the rights are 4 years (the 4th June 1 following the draft) and if 20 or more the exclusive negotiating rights last for two years (the 2nd June 1 following the draft.) It doesn't depend on which country a player is drafted from-Russia and Switzerland are no different in that regard than Sweden and Finland. See Articles 8.6 (d) and 8.10 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

These rules have changed through the years so while the current rules have been in effect for some time some fans will no doubt remember times when drafting players from other countries might have given longer or permanent exclusive negotiating rights.

Would be nice to see him in Rögle or Frölunda this season to play against men
I often think there are situations where that would work well, but in practice it is very rare to see teams provide the waivers of the rules necessary to make that happen. I think it happened for Canucks' forward Nicklas Jensen (not to be confused with defenceman Nick Jensen of the Capitals and formerly the Wings) in 2012-13 in unusual circumstances but don't remember any others.

Last edited:
Reactions: kliq

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
1689268524715.png

• Haha
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Toledo could be option
No, it is not.

Send him to Rögle as a "trade" for Kasper.
That is also not an option.

Is he allowed to be loaned out over-seas?
It would be an extremely rare case for the WHL to agree to that, they have his rights. The CHL/NHL transfer agreement is the only exemption.

If he has CHL contract for next season, he has to respect that.
The WHL contract runs 5 years. Read the first page of the SPA link I posted.

I posted a link to the WHL SPA that players sign. I even posted a clip of the agreement that prevents him from signing anywhere else besides the NHL. Why are we still debating this?

It's WHL or NHL, no other choices. I doubt the Wings put him on the roster, but you never know.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I’m warming up to Danielson slowly but I do know this, there are huge expectations on this kid. After missing some really quality offensive talent by a couple picks (michkov, leonard) Danielson is going to have a huge microscope on him. I like that he’s got size, and is from everything I’ve seen great defensively and really hard to play against, but I’m just not sure there’s much offense there.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
I’m warming up to Danielson slowly but I do know this, there are huge expectations on this kid. After missing some really quality offensive talent by a couple picks (michkov, leonard) Danielson is going to have a huge microscope on him. I like that he’s got size, and is from everything I’ve seen great defensively and really hard to play against, but I’m just not sure there’s much offense there.

I don’t even know what to make of his 2022-23 season. 78 points isn’t great, but only three guys on the team had 50 or more. When you look at the rest of the team, 78 almost feels like 100.

I think the goal for Danielson is for him to clearly be the Wheat King’s best player, have an impactful WJC and then get traded to a contender for a Memorial Cup push. And then ideally he shows better numbers with better talent.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
I don’t even know what to make of his 2022-23 season. 78 points isn’t great, but only three guys on the team had 50 or more. When you look at the rest of the team, 78 almost feels like 100.

I think the goal for Danielson is for him to clearly be the Wheat King’s best player, have an impactful WJC and then get traded to a contender for a Memorial Cup push. And then ideally he shows better numbers with better talent.
How would his points look if he, for instance, played with Savoie and Geekie?

Im guessing he may have been drafted a few spots higher if he had any type of linemates like that…

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

2 rules to Red Wings drafting:
- Stevie always picks the best player with the first pick
- Draper always wastes at least one second round pick on a NDTP player

I'm inclined to believe that both rules apply to this draft.

I would have preferred Moore over ASP, but that's a different subject which neither rule applies to.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Christien

May 1, 2010
It'll be interesting to see what Brandon does with Danielson. They've got a good goalie in Bjarnason and 2 talented players up for the next 2 drafts in McQueen and Elick. Hyland was just drafted by Washington and put up more than a ppg last season. Wonder if they will trade him or bring in additional talent?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I would have preferred Moore over ASP, but that's a different subject which neither rule applies to.
Yzerman draft is more luck than something else. Time will show if Danielson and ASP better than Dvorsky and Barlow. Still question Zegras vs Seider. Edvinsson vs Eklund, Cossa vs Wallstedt. We don't know yet
If take Tampa drafts you can see some picks like Drouin, DeAngelo ,Koekkoek.
Yzerman not always take best players

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Yzerman draft is more luck than something else. Time will show if Danielson and ASP better than Dvorsky and Barlow. Still question Zegras vs Seider. Edvinsson vs Eklund, Cossa vs Wallstedt. We don't know yet

You still question Zegras vs Seider??

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Seider is most definitely better and more valuable than Zegras, who even Ducks fans consider better suited on the wing than center.

Edvinsson I have no problem touting as better than Eklund now and in the future, quite easily.

To that point about his drafting in Tampa - it goes the same where Holland was drafting in his last years here. They were mostly poorly judged CHL picks. Ras finally came around this year and could be a 3LW fixture, but not a great pick at #9 2017 considering many other really good CHL picks went not long after him.

Solution?

In 2018-19 Yzerman hops on board here and gets Hakan in Sweden and the Europe scouts to take the wheel and they draft:

• Seider - 6'5 physical #1RHD with a massive reach and skill. Legit Norris potential.

• Raymond - budding 1st line RW.
(Lafreniere and Byfield drafted out of the CHL #1 and #2 in that draft have struggled mightily with expectations thus far. This is the draft we fell from #1 OA cause of the lottery too)

• Edvinsson - 6'6 punishing rangy LHD that covers the ice effortlessly. #1D potential and has done nothing but reinforce that.

• Kasper - Excellent D+1 in SHL and brings a net-driving-skilled-pest scorer and is a hard working kid.

• Sandin-Pellikka - boom/bust but the skill/4-way mobility is definitely an asset. He will have plenty of time to develop as Mo and Ed are already there

CHL:
• Cossa - bounced back in the ECHL. Disciplined hard working kid. Raw but talented and we've known this since we drafted him.
Wallstedt has shown better so far, but we can be patient with Cossa anyway while Husso stopgaps the net in Motor City.

• Danielson - I think this pick was a beauty. Plays the game the right way, has some real underrated skill, and already a WHL captain. Not to mention he's a 6'2 190 RH center. Coveted player! Bedard himself said Nate was the most underrated and hardest to play against in the CHL. If Yzerman and co decided what they saw in Danielson was worth it over Dvorsky who played in Sweden, then I trust their judgement.

This is not to say Yzerman always takes the best players. Conversely I could argue that if he's so good at Sweden talent, why didn't he draft Wallstedt? Anyways, there will always be hits and misses but what's important is that Yzerman has come in and:
1) Learned from his days in Tampa
2) Seen Holland's mess and wants to eradicate the bad drafting habits that plagued this franchise the previous decade.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

What? I don't think this applies to a single player before this year. Mazur seems like the closest. He played like 5 games for the national U17 team... and was drafted in the 3rd round.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What? I don't think this applies to a single player before this year. Mazur seems like the closest. He played like 5 games for the national U17 team... and was drafted in the 3rd round.

Niederbach, Tuomisto(Tyler Wright, but still), Buium weren’t great. Cleveland is a total head scratcher. All of these look like minor league depth picks.

I’m on the fence about Dylan James right now. I think there’s a way he becomes a solid grinder that’s good for 10+ goals and kills penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad