Confirmed with Link: Danielson signs 3 year ELC

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Niederbach, Tuomisto(Tyler Wright, but still), Buium weren’t great. Cleveland is a total head scratcher. All of these look like minor league depth picks.

I’m on the fence about Dylan James right now. I think there’s a way he becomes a solid grinder that’s good for 10+ goals and kills penalties.
What do any of those players have to do with spending 2nd round picks on NDTP players?

Reactions: ricky0034

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Niederbach, Tuomisto(Tyler Wright, but still), Buium weren’t great. Cleveland is a total head scratcher. All of these look like minor league depth picks.

I’m on the fence about Dylan James right now. I think there’s a way he becomes a solid grinder that’s good for 10+ goals and kills penalties.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I took "NDTP" to mean "USNTDP". I was replying specifically to that

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Niederbach was a fine pick. Think it was a great pick. It was a high-risk high-reward take, Guy had broken some Peter Forsberg-level of records on early age. Or I¨m not sure, equalled them at least, there's that 3 points per game U16 season as 15-year old. Then he had an injury and missed a year 2018-19. It was known thing at 2020 draft, and that's why he did fall. Håkan talked like he would have been a sure 1st round pick without that missed year.

It hasn't look great since. But Berggren was kind of same, lost a year of development after draft and he has turned that behind pretty nicely.

Don't know much about Buium, that's a Draper NA pick. They know better. Cleveland was interesting profile, really nasty player. I think that's a good gamble. those will be rare types in the future, less and less of those guys. If you can develop them to at least 3rd pair level, you have an advantage.

Big, nasty, "Chris Pronger in everywhere" defence is what everybody hates to play against.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I missed the NTDP part. I thought the original comment was about Draper’s misses in the second.

My mistake. I was looking at the second round in general.
Yeah, I forgot to say "and USHL", lol.

Anyways, second round misses in general. When Draper falls in love with a prospect, he falls hard. Zero concern about maximizing draft assets

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Anyways, second round misses in general. When Draper falls in love with a prospect, he falls hard.

Have to really ask, what 2nd round misses ?

I think when time goes by, these Draper picks are looking better.

- Mazur, 2nd round reach, one of our best prospects
- Hanas, 2nd round reach, looking good at AHL
- James, 2nd round reach, did look good at development camp
- Buchelnikov, 2nd round reach, many seem to like and hype him

Think he is nailing these picks pretty well. Those were just unfamiliar selections on draft time, and caused some critics. I lost my mind in a worst way with Mazur, but since that, I've learned this lesson. Let them pick. They have their plan and view, and I can't say it would be going bad.

Another 2nd round guys
- Trey Augustine, G
- William Wallinder, D
- Theodor Niederbach, Håkan high-risk, high-reward pick, not looking good
- Andrew Gibson, RD, I really really like him, perfect NHL def and looked good at camp.
- Brady Cleveland

So is Brady Cleveland that only pick Draper is wasting in here, when almost all others are progressing well or looking good?

It's really NOT what happens at draft time.

It's what will happen after.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If take Tampa drafts you can see some picks like Drouin, DeAngelo ,Koekkoek.
Yzerman not always take best players

Yzermans only bust first round picks in his career are guys who ended up having bad (in Koekoeks case super severe) mental health issues. I dont know what I would lump Deangelo in as a bad pick, hes one of the better offensive D in the league, hes just a head case. Definitely not a bust.

Drouin and Koekoek were both cases of bad mental health ruining a player. If those are your only busts, youre doing pretty good drafting

Reactions: lilidk

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Since Yzerman took over as GM in Detroit, there have been a grand total of 6 players drafted in the 2nd round that have played 40+ NHL games. Color me confused why there are two separate threads bashing our 2nd round drafting right now.
Because many of them appear to be massive reaches by most mock drafts and didn't address our more glaring needs.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Because many of them appear to be massive reaches by most mock drafts and didn't address our more glaring needs.
Again, a grand total of 6 players drafted in the 2nd round since 2019 have played a half of an NHL season. Based on that, how and why should we be drafting for what our needs will be in 2029-2030?

And we can probably just skip going over the "reach based on mock drafts" argument again.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Again, a grand total of 6 players drafted in the 2nd round since 2019 have played a half of an NHL season. Based on that, how and why should we be drafting for what our needs will be in 2029-2030?

And we can probably just skip going over the "reach based on mock drafts" argument again.
What is your overall point? Don't question Yzerman and Co.? I don't get it? Blindly trust who we draft because of your unfact checked number of 6 players in the 2nd round only made the league so far so just go with the flow?

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
What is your overall point? Don't question Yzerman and Co.? I don't get it? Blindly trust who we draft because of your unfact checked number of 6 players in the 2nd round only made the league so far so just go with the flow?
Unfact-checked? lol. It takes under a minute to look into that. Check it.

My point is I don't understand why all of a sudden we are attacking our 2nd round picks when it's unreasonable to expect actual results at this point.

2 guys look to be very near locks to be NHLers
2 guys look like they'll get a shot with NHL games. Too soon to know where it goes from there.
3 guys look unlikely to make it.
5 guys its way way way too soon to be drawing conclusions and I don't care if you think they wont make it based on your mock draft

That seems pretty much in line with what you should optimistically expect based on historical numbers

DTR

Dec 13, 2021

Your point about mocks having other players going where Detroit took reaches means very little unless you provide data as to what the mocked players have done in the NHL.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
In 2019 we took Tuimisto in the second. Only one player picked after him has played 100 games in the NHL thus far. Was he a bad pick? Possibly. Was anyone taken around him we should regret passing on? No.

In the 2020 draft we took three players yet to debut in the NHL. In the rest of the second round only eight players have debuted.

In the 2021 draft only four players in the second round have debuted in the NHL.

In 2022, one second round pick has debuted.

Making these crazy assumptions that we should have chosen other players when basically no second rounders since Yzerman got here have debuted is ridiculous.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Unfact-checked? lol. It takes under a minute to look into that. Check it.

My point is I don't understand why all of a sudden we are attacking our 2nd round picks when it's unreasonable to expect actual results at this point.

2 guys look to be very near locks to be NHLers
2 guys look like they'll get a shot with NHL games. Too soon to know where it goes from there.
3 guys look unlikely to make it.
5 guys its way way way too soon to be drawing conclusions and I don't care if you think they wont make it based on your mock draft

That seems pretty much in line with what you should optimistically expect based on historical numbers
I actually like more later picks than second round.
Soderblom and Gylander over Mastrosimone, Tuomisto and AJ
Mazur over Buium
Lombardi, Ali over Buchelnikov and James
It's too early to call 2023draft and Wallinder 21 still too early to call for anything, boom or
bust pretty much.
Lets move to Danielson please

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
In 2019 we took Tuimisto in the second. Only one player picked after him has played 100 games in the NHL thus far. Was he a bad pick? Possibly. Was anyone taken around him we should regret passing on? No.

In the 2020 draft we took three players yet to debut in the NHL. In the rest of the second round only eight players have debuted.

In the 2021 draft only four players in the second round have debuted in the NHL.

In 2022, one second round pick has debuted.

Making these crazy assumptions that we should have chosen other players when basically no second rounders since Yzerman got here have debuted is ridiculous.

2nd round picks take a little longer to develop and break into the league than first rounders. We know this. That’s not the argument.

The argument is that Detroit’s scouting staff have passed over players that, at the draft and right now, are better prospects than the guys Draper picked.

Tuomisto is unlikely to get more than a cup of coffee and there are several others selected after him that will likely be regulars soon.
Niederbach is unlikely to be more than a euro leaguer. Detroit missed several guys that look like players by trading back to get him and the extra pick we got (Cotton I believe) was a waste as well.
Buium looks like a run of the mill defender. Again, maybe a cup of coffee. In the meantime Detroit passed over about 10-15 guys that look like they’ll be solid players in the NHL.

• Haha
Reactions: DoMakc and lilidk

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Have to really ask, what 2nd round misses ?

I think when time goes by, these Draper picks are looking better.

- Mazur, 2nd round reach, one of our best prospects
- Hanas, 2nd round reach, looking good at AHL
- James, 2nd round reach, did look good at development camp
- Buchelnikov, 2nd round reach, many seem to like and hype him

Think he is nailing these picks pretty well. Those were just unfamiliar selections on draft time, and caused some critics. I lost my mind in a worst way with Mazur, but since that, I've learned this lesson. Let them pick. They have their plan and view, and I can't say it would be going bad.

Another 2nd round guys
- Trey Augustine, G
- William Wallinder, D
- Theodor Niederbach, Håkan high-risk, high-reward pick, not looking good
- Andrew Gibson, RD, I really really like him, perfect NHL def and looked good at camp.
- Brady Cleveland

So is Brady Cleveland that only pick Draper is wasting in here, when almost all others are progressing well or looking good?

It's really NOT what happens at draft time.

It's what will happen after.
From what I have seen and heard about brady cleveland is he is the epitome of a 5-6D that clears your crease and people shy away from. Without the bad/illegal hits (just because I didn't see them in the highlights I found) I would say he is like a Zadorov. Which that type of defenseman is going extinct a little. Wi-Fi kind of brought that back last year a bit with someone who is young and bring that level of physicality to the nhl.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Niederbach is unlikely to be more than a euro leaguer.
I disagreed with every aspect of this post but I'll just sum it up with this. Niederbach was a Hakan special for 2 years. Now, he's a Draper failure.

Trying to cherry pick "better prospects" in hindsight doesn't mean a thing when you are still bad at it in players' D+2 years and apparently you just expect Draper to hit every pick instead of beating historical averages.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Danielson is about to be ranked like barely in the top 50 of the main board prospect rankings at this rate :laugh:

I think he's gonna have a huge year in the WHL and the WJC and will skyrocket up people's rankings by June next year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, have to start thinking are the mock drafts wrong and Yzerman-idelogy (with Draper picks), is the right way...

Like Mastrosimone, everybody said that he was picked right there where he should, and never become anything.

Maybe reaching and "get your guy" is the better plan?

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, have to start thinking are the mock drafts wrong and Yzerman-idelogy (with Draper picks), is the right way...

Like Mastrosimone, everybody said that he was picked right there where he should, and never become anything.

Maybe reaching and "get your guy" is the better plan?
There was few who thought Danielson is top 10, a lot more Have ASP there. Will be interesting who will end up better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad