Player Discussion Daniel Sprong

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
He has a great shot. Not much else he does is NHL quality. I think his goal scoring is top 3 on the team, mainly due to his shot. I think as a wing, he is behind Rakell, Perry, Ritchie, Kase, Silfverberg, and Aberg without question. I think Cogliano is so much better than him defensively that he won’t sit. Eaves has a better overall game, but that’s seemingly a matter of days that his presence will be a concern. It’s likely between he and Sherwood for who gets to play on the 4th line and who sits every game, and again, Sherwood has a much better overall game.

He has promise, but right now he’s not much more than a PP weapon. He needs to spend a lot of time receiving passes.

Thank you for taking this bust off of our hands. He's an extremely one dimensional player & a defensive liability. I don't know if Randy Carlyle can coax anything more out of him, but Sullivan got tired of him accordingly. I know you guys were looking to move on from Petterson, but he's been rather serviceable for us.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Thank you for taking this bust off of our hands. He's an extremely one dimensional player & a defensive liability. I don't know if Randy Carlyle can coax anything more out of him, but Sullivan got tired of him accordingly. I know you guys were looking to move on from Petterson, but he's been rather serviceable for us.

I don't feel like anyone here sees him as a bust. He's a very young kid who can skate and has an elite shot. If he can improve in other areas of his game Duck fans will be very glad to have him.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don’t think he’s a bust, I think he’s a work in progress. He’s not a floater, and he has some good instincts and can read the play, and his shot is lethal. He’s just not as overall good as the guys we have right now as an overall package. Nothing says he can’t be in 2-12 months.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Sprong isn't a bust (as of now at least). He's a young player who has potential and some things that are worth getting excited about (such as an elite shot, good offensive instincts etc) but due to being handled incredibly poorly by Pittsburgh (such as pushing him into the NHL far too early and losing his waiver exempt status) there are weaknesses in his game that he has to work on while in the NHL while many players of a similar age are able to work on those things in the AHL.

If you think a 21 year old winger who put up PPG as a 20 year old in the AHL is a bust because of 50ish NHL games, that's up to you. But not every young player is going to burst onto the scene right off the bat.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006

I can't help but read this is as a thinly veiled "We won the trade. Came here to gloat."

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

so much wrong with this post.

Sprong isn't a bust. 4 goals in 12 games is far from it. like someone said, he's a work in progress with some pretty solid potential.

we were not looking to get rid of Pettersson at all. He was just behind a few other guys and expendable because of other options.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Sprong is far from a bust. Hes not quite the blue chip prospect a couple of ducks fans think he is but his shot alone is going to keep him in the NHL for a decent amount of time. If he can improve other aspects of his game he will be a good top 6 forward.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I see him as a Michael Ryder type player

That’s only a bad thing if you have super high expectations for him

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

Thing is, it isn't, or at least shouldn't be, difficult to find serviceable NHL depth D-Men. Hell, I think we have had a 5 guys rotation of guys this year who were as serviceable as Pettersson. I would not be happy if my GM gave up a high upside prospect for an asset that is more dime a dozen. I am not even a Sprong truther and think he is more likely to bust than be a top 6 winger, but I still would be pissed at the asset management of trading a high upside prospect for a serviceable depth d man.

Reactions: Trojans86

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Thing is, it isn't, or at least shouldn't be, difficult to find serviceable NHL depth D-Men. Hell, I think we have had a 5 guys rotation of guys this year who were as serviceable as Pettersson. I would not be happy if my GM gave up a high upside prospect for an asset that is more dime a dozen. I am not even a Sprong truther and think he is more likely to bust than be a top 6 winger, but I still would be pissed at the asset management of trading a high upside prospect for a serviceable depth d man.

Pettersson has enough upside to not be considered a dime a dozen prospect. He’s still only 22 and has shown promise at the NHL level. He’s at least a third pairing guy and with improvement could easily be a second pairing player. Since he’s been gone our third pairing has been a mess, there’s a clear downgrade going from Pettersson to Mahura.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah this idea that Pettersson has no upside is a weird push to try to throw our hands in the air saying we won the trade. Hell, he ever changes his body composition he will be closer to top pairing than 3rd pairing - but that’s not a guarantee just like it’s not a guarantee Sprong solves some of his question marks. It’s a good trade for both sides

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Yeah this idea that Pettersson has no upside is a weird push to try to throw our hands in the air saying we won the trade. Hell, he ever changes his body composition he will be closer to top pairing than 3rd pairing - but that’s not a guarantee just like it’s not a guarantee Sprong solves some of his question marks. It’s a good trade for both sides

Petterson has not shown offensive ability at any level and has no mean streak. Unless he is a very late bloomer, I don’t see him being more than a reliable counterpart to an actual dynamic top 4 dman, or just a solid third pairing guy. That is no slight, I just don’t feel he has any rare skills that make him particularly valuable.

Pitt did what it had to do to help their team in the short term and odds are that Sprong doesn’t develope into the top 6 scoring winger that he has the skill set to become. But, if he does, getting a limited upside guy like Pettersson for him will not look good. I understand why both teams did the deal, but imo I’d rather be on the high upside end of the deal.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't feel like anyone here sees him as a bust. He's a very young kid who can skate and has an elite shot. If he can improve in other areas of his game Duck fans will be very glad to have him.

I wouldn’t hold my breath. He’s one of those guys who can play in the AHL, but not the NHL. Just saying...be prepared to be disappointed.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Petterson has not shown offensive ability at any level and has no mean streak. Unless he is a very late bloomer, I don’t see him being more than a reliable counterpart to an actual dynamic top 4 dman, or just a solid third pairing guy. That is no slight, I just don’t feel he has any rare skills that make him particularly valuable.

Pettersson: 41GP, 7A, +7
Larsson 30GP, 2A, -7

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I wouldn’t hold my breath. He’s one of those guys who can play in the AHL, but not the NHL. Just saying...be prepared to be disappointed.

Nope. Just a forewarning. This guy will disappoint.

Thanks for coming here and telling us how our guy is going to pan out here...

Seriously, what's the point you're trying to make? Thanking us for taking a "bust" off your hand, like come on dude...

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Pitt did what it had to do to help their team in the short term and odds are that Sprong doesn’t develope into the top 6 scoring winger that he has the skill set to become. But, if he does, getting a limited upside guy like Pettersson for him will not look good. I understand why both teams did the deal, but imo I’d rather be on the high upside end of the deal.

Pettersson showed some offensive upside in Swedish juniors but even as a teen was largely playing in men’s leagues where ice time is hard to come by. He’s not ever going to be a 40 point player at the NHL level but hes not completely devoid of offensive ability.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Yeah, if you're not tearing up the NHL by the age of 21 you are probably done. No hope, AHL lifer for sure.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Are you trying to tell me that Larsson also does not have much offensive upside? Because I agree with that...
In some games where Pettersson played with us, you could see that he might have a potential offensive upside. Even if it is not going to be anything amazing. He did several good passes from our zone, just to bad that our forwards suck at outnumbered situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad