Player Discussion Daniel Sprong

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I hope you're right. But I fear that with us resigning Grant, we're looking at a Grant / Rowney / + someone, forechecking - penalty killing line.
Until guys solidify themselves somewhere on the team and/or with a linemate I suspect we will see guys moving up and down the lineup quite a bit. Especially given all the youth who will likely be given opportunities during the year. Grant and Rowney are vets capable of putting up 20 points each. I'm not sure there will be a checking line as we have know it.

I'm actually pretty bullish on how the team will do this year even though I have no idea who or how that will happen. lol :laugh:

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Until guys solidify themselves somewhere on the team and/or with a linemate I suspect we will see guys moving up and down the lineup quite a bit. Especially given all the youth who will likely be given opportunities during the year. Grant and Rowney are vets capable of putting up 20 points each. I'm not sure there will be a checking line as we have know it.

I'm actually pretty bullish on how the team will do this year even though I have no idea who or how that will happen. lol :laugh:
I know this isn't the thread for this but, while I'm not exactly bullish, I'm anticipating a positive shift in energy. It seemed like the team was just waiting for a death spiral from the first week and then totally gave into it when it came. I'm looking forward to watching some guys enjoy playing hockey for a change.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I know this isn't the thread for this but, while I'm not exactly bullish, I'm anticipating a positive shift in energy. It seemed like the team was just waiting for a death spiral from the first week and then totally gave into it when it came. I'm looking forward to watching some guys enjoy playing hockey for a change.
I think it will be a combination of a lot of things including what you said. The stench is gone, there is an air of optimism among the vets who looked pretty crappy last year and we really have some top notch prospects who, one way or another, I expect to see make some contributions in ANA. Getz agreeing to slow down could even make him look better and healthier next year. Whatever system we employ I expect the new coach to try and utilize each player based on their strengths, at least certainly more so than the last guy did. No more pounding square pegs into round holes and beating these guys like rented mules night after night.

It's hard for me not to see a positive step forward for the team.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
So, back to the subject at hand.

Sprong is continually labeled as one-dimensional. However, I think this concept needs to be expanded.

Yes, his overwhelming skill seems to be his shot and his singular mindset to put a puck into the net.

However, we've seen other sides of him at times...I remember seeing the video of him still on the Penguins while on Malkin's line, and he gave Malkin a beautiful pass. I remember some other pretty good passes here and there. So he's got the potential for vision and passing in general.

I also remember him backchecking hard and taking a puck away. He's got the potential for defense, if not for relentlessness on the PK, at least backcheck pressure...and tying a stick up can absolutely be taught.

We've seen some recent videos here where his skating and puck handling is pretty damn solid.

I personally think the biggest issue is his blinders. Unless he's in a situation where it's very obvious he doesn't have an opportunity for a good shot, he's going to just take that shot. He needs to be able to think a bit more variably, and get to a point where he knows he's always got other options. Get to a point where he stops thinking just shoot, and instead "what options do I have?"

I still feel this can be taught...to some degree. I think he can get to a point where he's not a defensive liability, and has the potential to make plays, etc. Part of this is also having teammates that he can rely on, that he knows are going to work to get to soft spots or be where he can help create a good scoring chance. IMO, he needs to NOT be on the 4th line. He needs to be put with teammates that have some 2-way skill, and that are a bit more dynamic to give him the confidence he needs to try those plays.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
So, back to the subject at hand.

Sprong is continually labeled as one-dimensional. However, I think this concept needs to be expanded.

Yes, his overwhelming skill seems to be his shot and his singular mindset to put a puck into the net.

However, we've seen other sides of him at times...I remember seeing the video of him still on the Penguins while on Malkin's line, and he gave Malkin a beautiful pass. I remember some other pretty good passes here and there. So he's got the potential for vision and passing in general.

I also remember him backchecking hard and taking a puck away. He's got the potential for defense, if not for relentlessness on the PK, at least backcheck pressure...and tying a stick up can absolutely be taught.

We've seen some recent videos here where his skating and puck handling is pretty damn solid.

I personally think the biggest issue is his blinders. Unless he's in a situation where it's very obvious he doesn't have an opportunity for a good shot, he's going to just take that shot. He needs to be able to think a bit more variably, and get to a point where he knows he's always got other options. Get to a point where he stops thinking just shoot, and instead "what options do I have?"

I still feel this can be taught...to some degree. I think he can get to a point where he's not a defensive liability, and has the potential to make plays, etc. Part of this is also having teammates that he can rely on, that he knows are going to work to get to soft spots or be where he can help create a good scoring chance. IMO, he needs to NOT be on the 4th line. He needs to be put with teammates that have some 2-way skill, and that are a bit more dynamic to give him the confidence he needs to try those plays.
I think most of that comes with confidence......that time with geno was when he got a 30 second shift. the coach was so impressed that he never played with geno again.... so you still have much to undo before sprong can go forward. imo

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The Ducks are a retooling hockey team right now they can afford to give Sprong plenty of opportunities. The upside is worth it.

I’m not blown away by his vision or smarts but it’s undeniable that his puck skills and skating are there. I see some Phil Kessel in him without the vision

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
MY friend said too many Dutch ovens can cause brain damage so you gotta watch out when you’re cooking in Holland. Unless you’re in Amsterdam and then you’ll just want to eat everything. Just buy a pair of nose plugs and a bottle of air freshener for when you go to bed. You don’t want to end up like Daniel.

Anyway, low hockey IQ or not, he looked really good in his first game back from recent AHL stint. He actually put up decent numbers in the AHL so not totally surprising. His playmaking and puck skills look better than I’ve seen suggested. Still needs to work on his two way game, edgework and movement without the puck, but those are mostly things he can improve on.

I think Ducks got a possible steal here as outside of the first two weeks of the season or so, Pettersson hasn’t looked like more than a 2nd pairing D and sometimes worse. He’s been more physical than I’d thought he’d be, but still needs to bulk up I think. His PP game is, “meh”, along with his offense in general. Maybe around average?

Meanwhile, I at least think Sprong has a highish ceiling. Could reach it if he spends more time in Amsterdam and less time falling on his butt when he gets nudged. But really, looks like top 6 potential to me at least. Definitely offers some traits the Ducks need in a big way right now. Can’t really think of a player comparison that I like. Brock Boeser with amnesia? Voracek with his head in the tulip garden? Um..... hmm yea, I got nothing.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I think Sprong agent has made it clear he plays with the Ducks or else he is traded and probably has no problem with it if it happens.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think Sprong agent has made it clear he plays with the Ducks or else he is traded and probably has no problem with it if it happens.
Since Ducks traded a second pairing D on a good team for him, since he is 22, since he has an elite shot, and since his value is low at the moment, Murray would be foolish to trade him. Who cares what his agent says?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Since Ducks traded a second pairing D on a good team for him, since he is 22, since he has an elite shot, and since his value is low at the moment, Murray would be foolish to trade him. Who cares what his agent says?
He’s an rfa also: he’s in Anaheim until draft minimum ( as far as he’s concerned, staying up with the ducks will make him happy enough imo , deep down every player knows when they are in the ahl to work there game, that it’s because that part of their game ( his is defense ) was truly needed. He doesn’t seem to pout as much noticeably anymore. So maybe the time in San Diego actually served him well

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
If (and that’s a big if) Sprong goes, someone will have to overpay for him. While I’m personally not a big fan of his game - and I understand he has that offensive flair - I think the Ducks do have some plans for him in mind. When the kids get better next season, his numbers should go up too.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If (and that’s a big if) Sprong goes, someone will have to overpay for him. While I’m personally not a big fan of his game - and I understand he has that offensive flair - I think the Ducks do have some plans for him in mind. When the kids get better next season, his numbers should go up too.

That is a problem. If Sprong's game can elevate people around him or at least hold equal, then relying on the youth to improve next season is a sketchy future based upon hope. Sprong needs to show incremental improvement throughout this season, whether be it at the AHL or NHL level. Becoming an NHL player on his own merit will benefit the Ducks, should the Ducks retain his services.

At only 22-years old, Sprong still has time to evolve into a better player. The Ducks need his talent to develop so that Sprong becomes a bankable asset than a continued potential projection because we're lacking youth NHL forward talent at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad