Player Discussion Daniel Sprong

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Been following Sprong for awhile. Hes a good triggerman. Wish the Wings/Flames got in on this :(
They got so much depth on Calgary where would they put Sprong ? 4th line for the best 4th line in the league maybe.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I've been trying to think of stylistic comparables for Sprong and these players come to mind..

Below average: Brandon Pirri
Average: Kyle Palmieri
Above average: Phil Kessel

Any other obvious comparables? Sprong is currently in his draft +4 season; many of the players I'm looking into didn't break out at the NHL level until that same season, if not their draft +5 season.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Pirri came to my mind as well, though that was based more on the way Pens fans described him rather than what I saw myself. He's pretty clearly a Kopitar-Hossa hybrid.

edit: Just saw he's wearing #11. The last one to wear it was Pirri. Weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I think Sprong and Lundestrom would make a good tandem. Sprong's strengths are shot generation and IQ, but his weaknesses are board battles and puck retrieval; Lundestrom's strengths are creativity and puck possession, but his weakness is finishing ability. In theory, the two should complement one another almost perfectly.

Reactions: Masch78

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I’m graying as well and I’m two years younger than you. Not sure if that really matters to you, but it’s something
Mine started around 25, a single hair here and there, my barber would just rip em out for me. Now I just learned to live with my shame. My dad took my picture at the Honda center Wednesday since it's been a few years since I've been back and I've definitely got some salt and pepper at this time. Shame since when I was a kid it was like, abyssal black.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Pirri came to my mind as well, though that was based more on the way Pens fans described him rather than what I saw myself. He's pretty clearly a Kopitar-Hossa hybrid.

edit: Just saw he's wearing #11. The last one to wear it was Pirri. Weird.

late to this, but Pirri came to my mind in the player analysis that were being thrown around at the time of the trade. Now, I don't see that as accurate at all. Maybe he will eventually, but I haven't noticed much "floating" like Pirri and Palms did.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
late to this, but Pirri came to my mind in the player analysis that were being thrown around at the time of the trade. Now, I don't see that as accurate at all. Maybe he will eventually, but I haven't noticed much "floating" like Pirri and Palms did.

Pirri and Sprong both have great shots. But I think that's where the comparison ends other than jersey number. Sprong is a much better skater and has better stick handing/offensive skills. Pirri was a one trick pony whereas I think Sprong has potential to be much more than that.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Agreed, now that I see him up close, he has a much better engine.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So, how has he been? Does he have a top six role when this team is healthy?
He has a great shot. Not much else he does is NHL quality. I think his goal scoring is top 3 on the team, mainly due to his shot. I think as a wing, he is behind Rakell, Perry, Ritchie, Kase, Silfverberg, and Aberg without question. I think Cogliano is so much better than him defensively that he won’t sit. Eaves has a better overall game, but that’s seemingly a matter of days that his presence will be a concern. It’s likely between he and Sherwood for who gets to play on the 4th line and who sits every game, and again, Sherwood has a much better overall game.

He has promise, but right now he’s not much more than a PP weapon. He needs to spend a lot of time receiving passes.

Reactions: Paul4587

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
That shot is ridiculous. So impressive that he is worth keeping around and watching him develop. Also great on the pp because he can get that shot off so quickly with velocity and accuracy. I think he has a ton of upside. Top 9 I'd say yes. I dont see Cogs and Kessler as top 9 players anymore so they could open up some spots.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Straight shooter something we desperately needed.

Yes, Other teams still think of the Ducks as a team that lacks Sniping options, so they were caught off guard a few weeks ago when Sprong won that one game in Overtime.

I like having him use a roster spot than Cogliano, Cogliano is good without the puck but once he has it he does nothing good with it so then the other team gets possession back & were back on the defensive.

With the way Scoring is way up in the league, offensive type players like Sprong/Pirri have more value than before.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Great shot, decent skater but poor defensively and sometimes struggles to control simple passes and mishandles pucks with no pressure.

When healthy he is more likely to be on the 4th line with opportunities to play in the top 6 when Carlyle changes up the lines (which is frequently). He’s definitely behind Kase, Ritchie, Rakell, Silfverberg, Aberg and Perry when we are all healthy. He’s ahead of Cogs offensively but Cogs brings different elements than the rest of our forwards.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
A lot of Kessel in his game. Will be nice to see if he can take the steps Kessel has made in his career and be a line driver instead of a passenger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad