Daniel Sprong Containment Thread Part 3 | Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sure, but there has been enough smoke there to prove there is something up.

Just think it is interesting neither Sid or Malkin who clearly at times pick who they play with never asked to have Sprong on their wing.

That holds for Sid.

I don't think that luxury extends to Geno, and I suspect anything he said about Sprong wasn't actually about Sprong but instead about liking to play with Phil and Horny.

And, to be honest, one thing that always struck me as peculiar was the 1 full shift Geno played with Sprong that year was with Rust on the LW for that goal against Calgary. We never saw it before. We never saw it after.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Sure, but there has been enough smoke there to prove there is something up.

Just think it is interesting neither Sid or Malkin who clearly at times pick who they play with never asked to have Sprong on their wing.
we know that about sid but geno?
edit; beaten to it......

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That holds for Sid.

I don't think that luxury extends to Geno, and I suspect anything he said about Sprong wasn't actually about Sprong but instead about liking to play with Phil and Horny.

And, to be honest, one thing that always struck me as peculiar was the 1 full shift Geno played with Sprong that year was with Rust on the LW for that goal against Calgary. We never saw it before. We never saw it after.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Malkin is worse than Sid in that regard. And I think part of the reason he got along with Neal and Kessel is their attitudes. Sprong reportedly is a loner.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn’t be surprised if Malkin is worse than Sid in that regard. And I think part of the reason he got along with Neal and Kessel is their attitudes. Sprong reportedly is a loner.

Malkin 'worse' than Sid when it comes to impressing upon the coach his preference in linemates? Really? How can you look at some of the crap Geno has played with over the years-- the type of crap a coach wouldn't DREAM to play with Sid-- and think THAT?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Malkin 'worse' than Sid when it comes to impressing upon the coach his preference in linemates? Really? How can you look at some of the crap Geno has played with over the years-- the type of crap a coach wouldn't DREAM to play with Sid-- and think THAT?

Malkin has had better wingers than Sid pretty much every year outside of Hossa and Jake.

And that is not my point. My point is I think Sprong May not have fit in the room. Hainsey had the same issue.

Reactions: wizmet12

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The stuff about Sid and his disdain for certain line-mates is all conjecture and innuendo Kirk. You know that.

The truth is, the both of them have had to play with garbage over the years. Neither one of them got the McDavid/Kane/Ovechkin/ whomever-you-want-to-name treatment. The two of them were cursed with playing with 5th-fiddle-players over the entirety of their careers. When they finally had someone who came to close to complimenting with their skill set, it never lasted very long.

Sid has been working on adapting his game over the last 3-4 years. You can see it. It's just different than it used to be. He doesn't blast up the middle of the ice anymore trying to beat guys one-on-three. He does most of his work in the corners now and he finds clean outlets.

But Geno still plays the same game he did as a 23-year-old. But it doesn't work like it used to because his physical strengths aren't what they once were. There are kids who are 21 and 22 who are stronger and faster than him now. And they're smart and they're coached well.

Geno isn't dead yet. But he will be soon if he doesn't find a way to adapt to these kids who give him nothing.

Reactions: wizmet12

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If you're concerned about trash talking you've never played a sport at any level. It doesn't mean you didn't do the trash talking but everyone has had those guys on your team and the opponents who talked shit. Psychological warfare is part of the game. Get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I forgot the interview he was on maybe HN@12u. Basically came out and said he didn’t fit in. Was happy to be a passenger though.

Interesting. Don't usually hear guys saying that about themselves. I liked the guy, seemed like his teammates did, too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
ADB3D7A47E05E4646A7D107E67F73B427BA1C9C8

This thread is a misnomer. Sprong clearly cannot be contained by mere threads, only by idiotic usage.

*this gif is in no way an endorsement of DJ Khaled

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He’s actually on a 30+ goal scoring pace as a Duck. MP is struggling a bit lately, so hopefully he picks his game up soon.

Pace can change in a good way or bad way, so we’ll see how the remainder of the season goes. Still think it’s silly to build any hills right now though. Most definitely can have a more serious discussion on this trade at the end of next season like I said before.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Anyone wondering, go dial up the 3 goals that Blueger has been on the ice for. Even taking away the fact that he scored two of them watch how he helps make the plays. Whether its taking a defender to the net or backchecking and creating a turnover.

Now tell me theres a reason Sprong couldnt do that as a 4th liner.

Im glad the kid is scoring, beacuse otherwise hed be looking for a new profession sooner than later.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Unfortunately Sullivan just doesn't know how to work with a player like Sprong. Sullivan doesn't like working with Kessel either but at this point he can't deny how important Kessel is to the team.

Has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with incentive. The Pens were bottom in the East, he couldn’t afford to teach Sprong basic shit while he was tanking the 4th line. And the Pens have better wingers above him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with incentive. The Pens were bottom in the East, he couldn’t afford to teach Sprong basic **** while he was tanking the 4th line. And the Pens have better wingers above him.
put him with geno….no tanking the forth and reviving geno win win :) sprong wasn't playing any worse than a bunch of other players. imo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Has nothing to do with ability and everything to do with incentive. The Pens were bottom in the East, he couldn’t afford to teach Sprong basic **** while he was tanking the 4th line. And the Pens have better wingers above him.

The "Sprong was an irredeemable liability" angle needs to die. Sprong didn't need to be taught anything, as proven by his improved possession stats in Anaheim once he was no longer buried in his own end with plugs for a handful of minutes a night.

Part of the reason the Pens were at the bottom of the East was because the coach couldn't get his head out of his ass long enough to realize that using a 21 year old sniper like a ditch digger is neither going to help your team score goals or prevent them. Now he's being used properly and not only not getting beaten up defensively, he's scoring at a 32 goal pace. Not hard to figure out what changed.

And the "Pens have better wingers above him" line gets more dubious with every goal he scores. Sprong's 1.62 G/60 that he's put up in Anaheim is good for 16th in the entire NHL (among players who've played at least 20 games) - and better than anyone on the Pens.

NHL.com - Stats

NHL.com - Stats

The truly laughable part is that Sullivan finally clued into "Rust on LW" as a thing that can happen (about 50 games late), and whaddya know, he looked great opposite Kessel. Who'd have thunk! It's almost like the idea that there was no room for Sprong on RW here was a bogus, manufactured narrative from the very beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad