Daniel Sprong Containment Thread Part 3 | Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jake, Sid, and Malkin average more ES than Kessel in terms of forwards that have played 30 games with us this season. Even including one offs Jugs is the only other forward.

Try again.

Sprong is averaging 12:45 at ES since coming over from Pittsburgh. And has been dropped down to the third or fourth line whenever the Ducks are healthy. Why would they do this to such an immense talent scoring at such a great rate?

First it was about being the 3rd line, now it's about ESTOI?

Goalposts are moving mid-convo now!

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Ducks are happy to have him, and the Penguins are happy to get rid of him. What else is there to say? Sprong was arguably the worst player to wear a Penguins uniform since Pouliot. Just because he's playing well in Anaheim means nothing to what he was here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kessel isn’t used on our third line in anything but the roster card.

Sprong is actually literally on the 3rd line Derek Grant. Why is this if he’s such a phenom!

Kessel has been actually, literally on our 3rd line regularly. Why is this if he's such a star!

Of course, this new tack of yours is tilting at windmills. Nobody ever said that Sprong would never see another shift on a team's 3rd line, or that he would be among the team leaders in ESTOI - if you can find an example of that, I'll give you a cookie. People only said that he'd be productive if certain prerequisites were in place: reasonable TOI, regular time with a scoring line center, and proper use on the PP. Since that's pretty well-established with him filling the net regularly now, I guess you have to start inventing new arguments that nobody ever made.

So it goes. :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ducks are happy to have him, and the Penguins are happy to get rid of him. What else is there to say? Sprong was arguably the worst player to wear a Penguins uniform since Pouliot. Just because he's playing well in Anaheim means nothing to what he was here.

It's amazing how things change when someone's not used idiotically.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Much to learn you still have.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Yet there back to using him idiotically!

While that obviously says something about Sprong, you have to admit that Randy Carlyle isn't the best judge of talent. He's about 10 years past his expiration date.

We can all agree on that, right? :laugh:

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

I need to remind myself that any time Sullivan does something I don't care for, there are probably a solid 10 coaches who don't even belong in the NHL anymore and we're not in a bad spot. I mean, I still haven't soured on him like some people have, but it's good cognitive behavioral therapy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I need to remind myself that any time Sullivan does something I don't care for, there are probably a solid 10 coaches who don't even belong in the NHL anymore and we're not in a bad spot. I mean, I still haven't soured on him like some people have, but it's good cognitive behavioral therapy.

I think that is my biggest contention with the Sprong crowd. They act like Sullivan is an idiot.

Reactions: Peat

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think that is my biggest contention with the Sprong crowd. They act like Sullivan is an idiot.
YOU DO GET IT! and all this time I just thought we were talking past each other. :)
edit; in all seriousness it's more stubborn, than stupid. imo

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yet there back to using him idiotically!

I don't predict what coaches will do. I only make educated guesses about how players will perform when certain prerequisites are met.

But I'll indulge you.

Carlyle's coaching a borderline lotto team where there are two established scoring line wingers who exclusively play RW ahead of Sprong, one of them being an impending UFA who the Ducks are probably trying to get a decent return for at the deadline.

I'd say 3RW is a pretty reasonable spot for Sprong right now. I'd have to question the Ducks' judgment if they decided Sprong should be playing above Perry or Silfverberg - and that has nothing to do with how Sprong's performing and everything to do with where Anaheim's at in February 2019.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't predict what coaches will do. I only make educated guesses about how players will perform when certain prerequisites are met.

But I'll indulge you.

Carlyle's coaching a borderline lotto team where there are two established scoring line wingers who exclusively play RW ahead of Sprong, one of them being an impending UFA who the Ducks are probably trying to get a decent return for at the deadline.

I'd say 3RW is a pretty reasonable spot for Sprong right now. I'd have to question the Ducks' judgment if they decided Sprong should be playing above Perry or Silfverberg - and that has nothing to do with how Sprong's performing and everything to do with where Anaheim's at in February 2019.

Silfverberg can play the left side and has in Anaheim. Anaheim is also looking to resign Silf according to Friedman.

Rust, Hornqvist and Kessel were all established RWs yet you complained and still complain about it. @Ogrezilla am I wrong?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Comparing Sprong to either of those two are asinine.

Not only were they elite offensive talents they still brought hockey IQ to the table.

Great post. You get it. I’m on the train going to the game as season ticket holder reading people think sprong is at an elite level. Seriously where does this come from?

Can somebody post his ea sports rating? Is that where it’s coming from?

At this point this thread should be moved to the ducks board. It’s like talking politics to the extreme on either side. You won’t change minds.

If you can’t move on from sprong at this point you’re doing a disservice to being a Pittsburgh Penguin fan.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Silfverberg can play the left side and has in Anaheim. Anaheim is also looking to resign Silf according to Friedman.

Silfverberg's plays about as much LW as Hornqvist does. He's an RW.

Anaheim might be looking to re-sign him. That doesn't mean you don't prepare for what to do if you can't. Managers who only plan for best-case scenarios don't last too long.

Rust, Hornqvist and Kessel were all established RWs yet you complained and still complain about it. @Ogrezilla am I wrong?

Unlike Silfverberg, Rust is a winger who actually plays both sides. Silfverberg would be a nice asset for us if he could play both sides. He can't, that's the problem. And unlike Anaheim, Pittsburgh was not a team that has no chance of the playoffs and was looking to trade an impending UFA scoring RW in less than a month. This ain't rocket science bud.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Silfverberg's plays about as much LW as Hornqvist does. He's an RW.

Unlike Silfverberg, Rust is a winger who plays both sides. And unlike Anaheim, Pittsburgh was not a team that has no chance of the playoffs and was looking to trade an impending UFA scoring RW in less than a month. This ain't rocket science bud.
Elliott Friedman said:
If the Ducks are optimistic about anything right now, it is their ability to re-sign Jakob Silfverberg. They are hopeful it can happen by the deadline, but there is a scenario where it might have to wait until later. Anaheim has a “tagging” issue. (The cap is $79.5 million this season, and no one’s 2019-20 commitments can be above that until July 1. The Ducks are tight to that number.) They could open room with further moves, sign him and risk a tighter squeeze, or make a verbal commitment and wait until the summer. Whatever the case, they are attempting to close this.

Wrong.

Silf also out of camp was used as a LW as well as Kase.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It says they are resigning him?

It says they're trying to re-sign him. Which doesn't change anything I said.

What kind of a doofus runs a team betting his team's fortunes on best-case scenarios? They can do more than one thing at once. They'd be negligent if they didn't.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It says they're trying to re-sign him. Which doesn't change anything I said.

What kind of a doofus runs a team betting his team's fortunes on best-case scenarios?

Lol. You are so blinded by the Sprong love it is insane.

Friedman literally says it is the only optimistic thing right now for the Ducks is they basically have an agreement.

Sprong is on the third line because the Ducks believe they have two better RWs above him and if Kase wasn’t out for the season he’d be on the 4th line.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lol. You are so blinded by the Sprong love it is insane.

Friedman literally says it is the only optimistic thing right now for the Ducks is they basically have an agreement.

Sprong is on the third line because the Ducks believe they have two better RWs above him and if Kase wasn’t out for the season he’d be on the 4th line.

You're editorializing.

But whatever you believe, there's a reasonable case for both Silfverberg and Perry, both pure RWs, ahead of Sprong right now. That wasn't the case here, where we had a winger who can actually play both sides...the problem's that the coach conveniently remembered that about 50 games late.

And like I said, I haven't ever predicted what coaches will do. But I'll talk about what a player will do when given decent minutes with a scoring line center and PP2 time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad