Daniel Sprong Containment Thread Part 3 | Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sure but those one dimensional players are elite at that dimension and still more well rounded than Sprong.
You have some strange expectations for someone who makes 750k and is still essentially an NHL rookie.

If he was a top-3 pick, 4 years into his career, then maybe I would be able to see your point, but he was a raw, project-type player picked in the 2nd round.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You have some strange expectations for someone who makes 750k and is still essentially an NHL rookie.

If he was a top-3 pick, 4 years into his career, then maybe I would be able to see your point, but he was a raw, project-type player picked in the 2nd round.

My expectations were that Sprong would score a goal here this season. He didn’t. Now he’s playing with literally the same center in Anaheim and is scoring goals.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Holy hell.... little man Brian Gibbons STILL PLAYS in the NHL!?!
What on Earth would the ducks want with him.

He actually did pretty well last year. I was driving the Gibbons-Is-Terrible Bus when we had him, but I'm not above giving credit to someone whose game I don't like when he earns it.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

My expectations i being able to help the team win and/or be better than the other options.

Thats it.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
My expectations were that Sprong would score a goal here this season. He didn’t. Now he’s playing with literally the same center in Anaheim and is scoring goals.
Funny how a guys game can evolve if he's allowed to make a mistake or 2 without the fear of being stuck up in the press box for weeks at a time.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Has Grant even figured in on a single point of Sprong's?

I feel like you haven't thought this out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And how long did it take Kess to get 90 points and how, exactly was he able to develop into that kind of player?

Hint: I gave you the answer in the question.

Kessel actually stuck in the league when he was 18 and had a 60 pt season when he was Sprong’s age.

I’d also argue that Kessel is nowhere near the defensive liability Sprong is.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If he’s such a revelation in Anaheim why are they playing him on the 3rd line then?

First of all, you were talking like Sprong is succeeding with Grant in Anaheim while he didn't here, which ain't happening - difference in TOI notwithstanding.

Second, we just talked about Kessel, so playing on the 3rd line clearly isn't a cut-and-dried indicator of talent or status.

Third, Perry came back and Silfverberg is a very good RW in his own right, not to mention an impending UFA whose numbers they'd benefit from boosting on a scoring line until the deadline.

Basically, this is a whole lot of smoke and mirrors to distract from Sprong's actual production, which has been very good.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Kessel actually stuck in the league when he was 18 and had a 60 pt season when he was Sprong’s age.

I’d also argue that Kessel is nowhere near the defensive liability Sprong is.

Daniel Sprong was the 5th overall pick too? I didn't realize he had the same draft pedigree as Kessel either.
Learn something new every day here...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
First of all, you were talking like Sprong is succeeding with Grant in Anaheim while he didn't here, which ain't happening - difference in TOI notwithstanding.

Second, we just talked about Kessel, so playing on the 3rd line clearly isn't a cut-and-dried indicator of talent or status.

Third, Perry came back and Silfverberg is a very good RW in his own right, not to mention an impending UFA whose numbers they'd benefit from boosting on a scoring line until the deadline.

Basically, this is a whole lot of smoke and mirrors to distract from Sprong's actual production, which has been very good.

I’m just surprised a team is pushing Sprong down their line-up considering his (top 20 goals per 60 in the league). Figured they would put him on the first line given his (top 20 goals per 60 in the league)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I’m just surprised a team is pushing Sprong down their line-up considering his (top 20 goals per 60 in the league). Figured they would put him on the first line given his (top 20 goals per 60 in the league)

We established Kessel was a regular 3rd liner a while ago, so I'm not sure what you're blathering about now haha.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It’s because Sprong is a certain type of player where Teddy isn’t!

My stance on this is and has always been that good players will produce no matter what linemates they get put with. Sure they'll do better with ideal situations, but if they're NHLers, they'll produce.

And you know what? Sprong has started to do that in Anaheim, so good for him. But him not producing here isn't entirely on Mike Sullivan and his deployment of Sprong like many would like to claim.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It is kinda funny to hear people say a few months ago that it's impossible to produce given bottom six ice time and then Teddy Blueger comes in and does just that averaging 8:44 a game so far.

Playing with a broken down Cullen and a Gladams clone

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Playing with a broken down Cullen and a Gladams clone

Amazingly enough Garrett Wilson actually produces a lot of scoring chances. His possession numbers aren't bad either considering he gets absolutely buried in d-zone starts. As for Cullen, yeah his posession numbers are pretty dreadful though he seems to maintain an ability to produce offense despite that. And like Wilson he gets totally buried in d-zone starts.

That said, point taken etc :)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We established Kessel was a regular 3rd liner a while ago, so I'm not sure what you're blathering about now haha.

Jake, Sid, and Malkin average more ES than Kessel in terms of forwards that have played 30 games with us this season. Even including one offs Jugs is the only other forward.

Try again.

Sprong is averaging 12:45 at ES since coming over from Pittsburgh. And has been dropped down to the third or fourth line whenever the Ducks are healthy. Why would they do this to such an immense talent scoring at such a great rate?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
it is the ducks after all. :)
edit; ever here of the term tanking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad