Daniel Sprong Containment Thread Part 3 | Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Not good. I don’t understand why we have to have this circular argument.

Sidney was asking why people brought up 5v5 production. It is because people want to try and build a case around him being able to produce like he has in Anaheim here.

I dont understand why people dont understand that when discussing whether a player should or shouldnt be in the top 6. The ONLY relevant stats ate 5v5 because its is LITERALLY the only situation where a top 6 exists.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I dont understand why people dont understand that when discussing whether a player should or shouldnt be in the top 6. The ONLY relevant stats ate 5v5 because its is LITERALLY the only situation where a top 6 exists.
Not really, such players get looks in OT which isn't 5v5, and they also can get looks on the PP. So not true.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And that was my biggest issue with our coach. He never afforded him a legitimate shot with Geno to try and see what we had there. Rust struggled and Horny missed a lot of time, yet not even a look.
Horny only missed 3 or 4 games before we had traded Sprong.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well, you engaged me on the matter so...... lol

No I didn’t you quoted my response to Sidney and then said the typical ”BUTTTTT Sprong never played with Malkin.”

Believe me, I understand that. I just don’t care. And honesty arguing it is just dumb.

He sucked here. He doesn’t suck in Anaheim. This is largely based on the situational needs of Anaheim in their top nine and ours.

Notice how Anaheim doesn’t care they moved Pettersson? Because dispite his success here, he’d never play that role in Anaheim.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Sprong has 11 points in 20 games as a Duck. Relative to how anemic they've been at scoring I think that's pretty damn good. Regardless of how he accumulated those points they all count the same.
It is, but he is also getting bounced up and down the lineup, so they are seeing some of the same things our coaches did. I should also point out they have only won a handful of games since he has been there. Obviously it is not on him by any stretch of the imagination, but I guess my point is it’s not like he is making a difference in the win column. I would argue that #28 is.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And in those games was Sprong afforded time with one of our elite centers?
no, because we still had 2 or 3 RW's who were playing better hockey than him. Simon and Kessel were playing better all around. Rust was at least hustling and playing solid away from the puck, which was a huge issue for most of the forwards at the time. At no point this year was Sprong clearly one of our 3 best RW options at even strength. There were times where we could have fit him in there, but it was never the clear right move to put him in the top 9. So he got 4th line time and powerplay time.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Sprong has 11 points in 20 games as a Duck. Relative to how anemic they've been at scoring I think that's pretty damn good. Regardless of how he accumulated those points they all count the same.

1. Its not that impressive when playing both top 6 and PP.

2. Certainly not impressive when he is a net negative in every other aspect.

3. Its not a reason to keep him in the top 6. Replacing him in the top 6, 5v5 would benefit the team since IN THAT SITUATION, hes scoring at the same pace as Garrett Wilson.

Let me ask you this. If Garrett Wilson suddenly became a good on the PP, would you arbitrarely put him on Malkins wing?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
1. Its not that impressive when playing both top 6 and PP.

2. Certainly not impressive when he is a net negative in every other aspect.

3. Its not a reason to keep him in the top 6. Replacing him in the top 6, 5v5 would benefit the team since IN THAT SITUATION, hes scoring at the same pace as Garrett Wilson.

Let me ask you this. If Garrett Wilson suddenly became a good on the PP, would you arbitrarely put him on Malkins wing?
Generally speaking good PP guys are more skilled players, so I would presume that the majority of your PP is made up of guys in the top six.

One other thing, Sprong has 11 points in 20 games, where does that rank him on the ducks in that time? I'd imagine in the top three or four.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
no, because we still had 2 or 3 RW's who were playing better hockey than him. Simon and Kessel were playing better all around. Rust was at least hustling and playing solid away from the puck, which was a huge issue for most of the forwards at the time. At no point this year was Sprong clearly one of our 3 best RW options at even strength. There were times where we could have fit him in there, but it was never the clear right move to put him in the top 9. So he got 4th line time and powerplay time.
Right, so he was largely relegated to a position that wasn't suited for his skillset.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Generally speaking good PP guys are more skilled players, so I would presume that the majority of your PP is made up of guys in the top six.

One other thing, Sprong has 11 points in 20 games, where does that rank him on the ducks in that time? I'd imagine in the top three or four.
But being good on the powerplay doesn't mean you should be in the top 6. Sprong is probably a better PP player than Rust for example, but Rust is absolutely a better top 6 forward at this point in their careers.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It is, but he is also getting bounced up and down the lineup, so they are seeing some of the same things our coaches did. I should also point out they have only won a handful of games since he has been there. Obviously it is not on him by any stretch of the imagination, but I guess my point is it’s not like he is making a difference in the win column. I would argue that #28 is.
And I would argue, and according to what I've seen from Duck fans, that Sprong is one of very few bright spots in the Ducks lineup since he's been dealt.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And I would argue, and according to what I've seen from Duck fans, that Sprong is one of very few bright spots in the Ducks lineup since he's been dealt.
I think he's been good there, yeah. But the role he's playing for them simply isn't available here. They need a guy like him, we need a guy like Pettersson. Win Win.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Yes the majority of good PP guys play in the top 6.

BUT you dont have to put a good PP guy in the top 6 for no other reason than him being a good PP guy.

If a guy isnt good 5v5 there is no reason for him to be in your top 6 or even top 9.

Certainly nit here were we have 3 really good RWers and anothe solid one that can shift over.

Point blank. If you line up every guy on our roster that can play RW. Sprong is number 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad