NFL: Daniel Snyder's future as owner - Team is about to be put for sale?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Whoever the new owner is, the powers that be in the DMV area will be willing to give them the land to build a new stadium.

They will not give another ounce to Snyder for another stadium deal.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yes it’s me, not the one saying a guy worth over $3b couldn’t buy a controlling stake in an NFL team lol
The Commanders are expected to sell for over $5 billion, so yes, I am saying exactly that. No dude worth $3 billion is buying an NFL team.

And then the buyer would need to also be able to help finance another billion for a new stadium. Trump isn't that guy. There's a reason why the names being talked about as buyers are far wealthier than Trump.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The Commanders are expected to sell for over $5 billion, so yes, I am saying exactly that. No dude worth $3 billion is buying an NFL team.

And then the buyer would need to also be able to help finance another billion for a new stadium. Trump isn't that guy. There's a reason why the names being talked about as buyers are far wealthier than Trump.

You’re absolutely talking out of your ass lol Trump wouldn’t need $5b cash in hand to buy 51% of the team, and he certainly wouldn’t use his own money to do it

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The NFL does require a certain asset to debt ratio and his net worth is not necessarily liquid.
Exactly. Trump is not the right kind of rich. He’s not sitting on a pile of cash or other liquid investments. He owns a bunch of real estate and has a bunch of licensing deals to put his name on other real estate. And again, this purchase isn’t just a commitment to buy the team but to finance another billion for a new stadium.

The Commanders are one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL. The league isn’t handing that over to someone who wouldn‘t even make the top half of richest owners. I also don’t buy that this is a sale for only 51%.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The owners would never approve Trump as a buyer anyway, even if a bunch are friends/supporters of his because the the backlash would be loud and enormous from the people who hate him/his politics. When he tried to buy the Bills he wasn't a political figure yet.

Even throwing politics aside, he's too much of a lightning rod.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Except the league caps how much debt can be used in the purchase.

Anyway, good luck to a Trump owned team signing free agents.
Here is the relevant rule that eliminates Trump for financial reasons.

The league now allows up to $1 billion in debt for a team acquisition, up from $500 million, but a new owner must meet certain terms and stipulations in order to be offered a higher ceiling.

Not to mention “And of course, there’s an extensive background check, so no skeletons can be left in the closet.” The NFL isn’t about to allow a new owner who is likely to be charged with felonies related to stealing classified records.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Here is the relevant rule that eliminates Trump for financial reasons.

Not to mention “And of course, there’s an extensive background check, so no skeletons can be left in the closet.” The NFL isn’t about to allow a new owner who is likely to be charged with felonies related to stealing classified records.
I wonder how the NFL would feel about an LVI franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad