NFL: Daniel Snyder's future as owner - Team is about to be put for sale?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Irsay doesn't give a shit because anything Snyder has on him is probably no worse than what is already known about his misdeeds.

I'm not sure the other 23 owners willing to vote on this would be as gung ho

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Irsay doesn't give a shit because anything Snyder has on him is probably no worse than what is already known about his misdeeds.

I'm not sure the other 23 owners willing to vote on this would be as gung ho
Majority have been around for a long time.

Newest members are in Denver, Carolina, Cleveland. Lots of old guards with family history. Seattle now is with Jody Allen not her late brother.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Says the owner who got bailed out of the wentz contract? Like he doesn’t owe Synder…. To be one of the 8 he needs to remain owner of the commanders.
I'd say the biggest sign there's a good chance he's out is having Al Michaels talking on national TV about how the league wants to be rid of Snyder. Then I also heard Peter King say the same thing this morning. Now, Irsay? That's a whole lot of smoke from the kinds of guys who never say anything bad about the league or an owner unless they know they're speaking for a majority.

Sep 19, 2008
if the owners want him out they better speak up now and make it known with their votes. And even if they did, Dan's not leaving easily. That guy is rich and has money to blow for high priced lawyers. He won't give his team up without a fight.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I said it before. The move for Wentz was Snyder trying to buy Irsay's clemency.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this. This is Irsay blackmailing Snyder to make sure Wentz gets enough snaps so Indy gets an upgraded draft pick. So I highly doubt Wentz will be out 6 weeks. He'll back in 4 weeks, maybe even two.

Reactions: Voight
Sep 19, 2008
I'd say the biggest sign there's a good chance he's out is having Al Michaels talking on national TV about how the league wants to be rid of Snyder. Then I also heard Peter King say the same thing this morning. Now, Irsay? That's a whole lot of smoke from the kinds of guys who never say anything bad about the league or an owner unless they know they're speaking for a majority.
What they said was basically regurgitating the espn article. They didn't add any new insight or information.

Breaking: Owners hate Dan. Breaking: people hate dan.

Wow. Stop the presses folks

Reactions: Barnum and Voight

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
What they said was basically regurgitating the espn article. They didn't add any new insight or information.

Can someone give me a Coles Notes version of why they want him out? I'm not really familiar with the situation.

Sep 19, 2008
Can someone give me a Coles Notes version of why they want him out? I'm not really familiar with the situation.
Washington has been beset by many scandals over the last few years, including a cheerleader scandal and a sexual harassment scandal. The team changed it's name after years of saying they'd never do so. All of it has given Dan Snyder and the league a very bad name.

This particular owner seems to be going public saying that the league is better off without him, which may be true, but will be hard to execute.

Reactions: nilan30

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

You’re missing the point, Dan. Someone like Al Michaels hasn’t ever talked like this before about Snyder or any other owner. He’s not the kind of guy to say this about an owner unless the talk is real.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
..a sexual harassment scandal. All of it has given..the league a very bad name.
My opinion, this is half of the reason why owners are turning on Snyder. He's become a public relations problem. The NFL smugly views itself as a cultural moral leader. The two public relations scandals they fear most are sexism and White racism. Snyder's organization had a sexism scandal, so that is a serious blow to their envisioned public image.
The other half of their disdain for Snyder is that it was recently suspected he has withheld ticket sales revenue from other owners, due to them thru profit-sharing agreement. The money issue is the real grievance and is why things are really picking up. NFL sexism scandals are selectively forgiven and/or forgotten.. see Ray Rice and Deshaun Watson differing outcomes, etc. If Snyder is ousted it will be attributed to workplace sexism scandal (especially by a media larping as moral crusaders), but will really be about Snyder hoarding ticket sales $ from other owners. I have no guess if he will actually be ousted tho..

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My opinion, this is half of the reason why owners are turning on Snyder. He's become a public relations problem. The NFL smugly views itself as a cultural moral leader. The two public relations scandals they fear most are sexism and White racism. Snyder's organization had a sexism scandal, so that is a serious blow to their envisioned public image.
The other half of their disdain for Snyder is that it was recently suspected he has withheld ticket sales revenue from other owners, due to them thru profit-sharing agreement. The money issue is the real grievance and is why things are really picking up. NFL sexism scandals are selectively forgiven and/or forgotten.. see Ray Rice and Deshaun Watson differing outcomes, etc. If Snyder is ousted it will be attributed to workplace sexism scandal (especially by a media larping as moral crusaders), but will really be about Snyder hoarding ticket sales $ from other owners. I have no guess if he will actually be ousted tho..
That and they know it will be just more things after another with Snyder. He's had the team for two decades and it's never stopped since then. Paradoxically racially insensitive obstinance and sex traffic are the only thing that's Garnered him allies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As long as Jones has his back, it won't happen.

Irsay also has no leg to stand on. If he wasn't rich he'd still be in jail for getting caught with Oxy. & theres that time he bought a house (using Colts funds) for his mistress.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Irsay also has no leg to stand on. If he wasn't rich he'd still be in jail for getting caught with Oxy. & theres that time he bought a house (using Colts funds) for his mistress.
His personal addiction issue and consensual relationship, aren't bad as Snyder's abuse of women.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnum and Tryamw

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
That and they know it will be just more things after another with Snyder. He's had the team for two decades and it's never stopped since then. Paradoxically racially insensitive obstinance and sex traffic are the only thing that's Garnered him allies.
Respectfully, I think the situation only seems "paradoxical" if you don't recognize the reality of the NFL's fraud.

The NFL is a giant corporate entity, it's going to have cases of workplace sexism/discrimination. My opinion, reasonable observers recognize that. And the New York Post quoted former Washington employees, saying sexual harassment was a league wide "larger problem" (makes sense to me). So the truth is, Snyder may not be uniquely sleazy among his peers. I mean some of the sexual harassment was known almost 15 years ago. Emily Applegate, a former Snyder employee even publicly stated Goddell was actively protecting Snyder to cover up harassment. So why now is Snyder so endangered ?
I believe, his unforgivable sin was he may have deliberately withheld ticket sale profits due the other owners, which was just revealed in 2022.. so now the owners can launch their larp where they are outraged about sexism (which is a pose that resonates with social justice larpers in football fandom & ideological sports writers), to potentially oust Snyder.
I would respect the NFL owners more if they just bluntly stated, we're mad Snyder robbed us, and leave it at that.. That's a fair grievance, that doesn't pretend to be moral superiority. But it would be bad social justice optics, and reinforce stereotypes about money hungry tycoons etc.
I don't know who Snyder's sexist "allies" are that you mention. I think some owners & fans may just suspect the NFL's hypocrisy.. even tho Snyder is a tool, they resent his scapegoating?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Weren't you the same one who was so certain nothing would happen to Sarver?

If Al Michaels and Jim Irsay are publically calling him out, you can be sure that there's some serious heat towards his situation.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Weren't you the same one who was so certain nothing would happen to Sarver?

If Al Michaels and Jim Irsay are publically calling him out, you can be sure that there's some serious heat towards his situation.

Sarver wasn't forced to sell the team by the league or other owners. He just gave in.

As I said before, Irsay should be the last one to talk. Besides, unless an influential owner(s) like Mara, Rooney, Kraft or Jones speak out, it doesn't mean much if guys like Irsay are.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Respectfully, I think the situation only seems "paradoxical" if you don't recognize the reality of the NFL's fraud.

The NFL is a giant corporate entity, it's going to have cases of workplace sexism/discrimination. My opinion, reasonable observers recognize that. And the New York Post quoted former Washington employees, saying sexual harassment was a league wide "larger problem" (makes sense to me). So the truth is, Snyder may not be uniquely sleazy among his peers. I mean some of the sexual harassment was known almost 15 years ago. Emily Applegate, a former Snyder employee even publicly stated Goddell was actively protecting Snyder to cover up harassment. So why now is Snyder so endangered ?
I believe, his unforgivable sin was he may have deliberately withheld ticket sale profits due the other owners, which was just revealed in 2022.. so now the owners can launch their larp where they are outraged about sexism (which is a pose that resonates with social justice larpers in football fandom & ideological sports writers), to potentially oust Snyder.
I would respect the NFL owners more if they just bluntly stated, we're mad Snyder robbed us, and leave it at that.. That's a fair grievance, that doesn't pretend to be moral superiority. But it would be bad social justice optics, and reinforce stereotypes about money hungry tycoons etc.
I don't know who Snyder's sexist "allies" are that you mention. I think some owners & fans may just suspect the NFL's hypocrisy.. even tho Snyder is a tool, they resent his scapegoating?
I think it has zero to do with the NFL and everything to do with the current climate of anyone facing consequences for sexual maleficence or bigoted behavior becoming a martyr to a segment of society. When further incidents of this sort come to light there will be two groups: those using it for whataboutism to defend Wash and those who will brand it as the exec being a victim of cancel culture.

Reactions: Barnum

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Which would be even more telling.
Doesn’t sound like this is the case. Seems Irsay spoke out on his own and against the wishes of the other owners. Al Micheals adding his take does lend some credence but it doesn’t sound like it is enough. As long as Jones is in Synder’s corner, I doubt anything happens. I think I put more stock into the rumor that the owners are hesitant than I do on the words of an unsure Irsay.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The key part of Irsay's comments is the part where he hints that basically "make your dough, but don't take away from the other owners" to Snyder.

The NFL doesn't have to worry about cancel culture. The media protects misconduct from players and owners and the fans really don't stop watching games.

Right now, I suspect Snyder is in a bit of a weak position, and Irsay is exploiting it for his own benefit. The trade for Wentz was business-irrational if there were no extracurricular matters going into the trade. It was the Colts that had the deadline to get a deal done before having to eat a dead cap hit. Washington could have asked for salary retained so they could keep some other pieces like Scherff. But nope. It was the full cap hit, no questions asked and a decent haul of picks to Indy. And no competition for Wentz to beat out Heinicke.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I think it has zero to do with the NFL and everything to do with the current climate of anyone facing consequences for sexual maleficence or bigoted behavior becoming a martyr to a segment of society. When further incidents of this sort come to light there will be two groups: those using it for whataboutism to defend Wash and those who will brand it as the exec being a victim of cancel culture.
We just have different perspectives on the true motives of a potential ouster of Snyder. I take that you believe this will be a sincere censure of Snyder for sexual harrasment(?) And I'm suggesting that the sexual harrasment is simply a public relations smokescreen for owners, angry about being cheated ticket revenue.

Snyder has already been fined millions & settled with a harrasment accuser 13 years ago (for 1.6 million) and even if there was a non-disclosure, I believe other owners knew . So I think owners already proved they could tolerate sexual harrasment within Snyder's franchise (even tho it has been an embarrasment to their envisioned public image).. but the theft was too egregious.

And honestly, Irsay's statement was non-specific about "merit to remove", so an ouster could ultimately be admitted as a money dispute.. but I'm anticipating an ouster will be marketed by the owners & echoed by worthless sports media, that owners have a zero tolerance policy for workplace harrasment.

I agree, Snyder will have some sympathizers in football fandom.. but a "whataboutism" is a fair question. Why isn't the media hammering this point more: why is someone like Irsay becoming the face of the NFL's moral indignation with Snyder. To me, it really shows an NFL virtue-signal (on any/all social issues) is comically bankrupt. I've gone long, & I'll leave it at that. /peace

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Irsay's statements are legally non-binding and can be view in the light of being PR.

If anything, Snyder being his slave boy and Washington being transaction mistake dumping ground is something he wants to keep. Because no sane team looking to win trades picks for a Carson Wentz that's about to be cut AND takes on the full cap hit at the expense of roster quality like losing Scherff, Ionnaidis, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad