DANIEL SEDIN AND HENRIK SEDIN | Dear Vancouver,

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't care what he says, actions speak louder than words. The fact that he decided to stay with the Islanders despite them being a middling team going nowhere says it all. What does him bring young have to do with anything? Is it okay not to want to win early on in your career?

Really? We're doing this now?

Well first of all, he's a pending UFA so who knows where he signs next year.

Secondly, he's younger so he has more opportunities at winning a Cup. The Islanders aren't a bottom feeder and it's possible that they'll contend before he's ready to retire. Holy ****.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I dono why people are attacking y2k.

His opinions are out there, but has some good points made.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Best discussion we've had this summer!

Xp0GW3b.gif

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Because he reaches to ridiculous levels to defend his standpoint

And then says **** like people selectively respond to his posts, when he does the exact same thing.

Zhaolo

Aug 17, 2017

What good points? Cup contenders are lining up to give up good assets for the twins? They're cancer and need to get rid of them because they don't want to win? Everyone realistic realize what they would fetch in a trade, and the benefit isn't justified vs letting them play out their contract.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Because he reaches to ridiculous levels to defend his standpoint

And then says **** like people selectively respond to his posts, when he does the exact same thing.

Saying that professional athletes should prioritize winning a championship is reaching to ridiculous levels now?

:shakehead

What good points? Cup contenders are lining up to give up good assets for the twins? They're cancer and need to get rid of them because they don't want to win? Everyone realistic realize what they would fetch in a trade, and the benefit isn't justified vs letting them play out their contract.

Where did I say that Cup contenders are lining up to give up good assets for the twins? Where did I call them a cancer?

I'm criticizing their mentality. I'm criticizing their prioritizing playing in Vancouver over their desire to win a Stanley Cup. I don't think that's far-fetched.

Any other player and there wouldn't be this much pushback. But because it's the Sedins people come up with these strawman arguments to attack me. It's sickening.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any other player and there wouldn't be this much pushback. But because it's the Sedins people come up with these strawman arguments to attack me. It's sickening.

Any other player and you wouldn't be saying jack about it.

Again, I don't recall you being outraged about Roberto Luongo's priorities and competitiveness when he wanted to be traded to a dumpster fire Florida team to be near his family. Because you think Luongo is great, and you can't stand the Sedins.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah it'd be neat if Luongo actually cares about winning instead of cashing his pay check in Florida

Secondly, he's younger so he has more opportunities at winning a Cup. The Islanders aren't a bottom feeder and it's possible that they'll contend before he's ready to retire. Holy ****.

Lmao

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Any other player and you wouldn't be saying jack about it.

Again, I don't recall you being outraged about Roberto Luongo's priorities and competitiveness when he wanted to be traded to a dumpster fire Florida team to be near his family. Because you think Luongo is great, and you can't stand the Sedins.

Except he's no longer a Canuck. I've stated I disagree with his decision to go quietly in the sunset. His team is still better than the one he left, but he's not going to win a Cup. Zero competitive attitude there if you ask me.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Saying that professional athletes should prioritize winning a championship is reaching to ridiculous levels now?

Where did I say that Cup contenders are lining up to give up good assets for the twins? Where did I call them a cancer?

I'm criticizing their mentality. I'm criticizing their prioritizing playing in Vancouver over their desire to win a Stanley Cup. I don't think that's far-fetched.

Its not. That's what i pointed out in my first post.

All you had to do was say "If I was in their shoes, I'd be prioritizing winning a championship" and I'd not have responded or would have said "that's a fair sentiment"

But then you just need to be right about everything so you take everything to an extreme like spewing the garbage doughty comparison and disregard their reasoning for wanting to stay as if to say it shows negatively on their character

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I loved this the same way I loved the "goodbye" letter from Burrows. You would never have seen anything like that from Kesler. He's too self-obsessed. This is a team sport, and I will always love players that put the team and the city first. Daniel, Henrik and Alex are amazing players, people, and they will always hold a dear place in my heart as a Canucks fan no matter where they play. They gave it all for this team, and they did take us all the way up Everest -- even if they did have to turn around with 4 feet left to go.

Bless you, Sedins. In a weird way, I almost feel like we didn't even deserve these guys. But we got them, and we got to watch some amazing hockey because of them for over a decade. Incredible athletes and awesome people.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Where to begin. ... I like Chris (Y2k) but his negativity to the Sedins is just sad.

They have NMC ... they will not give them up on some faint hope to win a SC. To suggest this is a bad attitude on their behalf is ignorant silly and laughable. They are showing loyalty to a city that loves them (other than chris) and that they care about.

To suggest that any player's only concern is getting a SC ring is paramount is sad. Probably 75% if the players int he NHL's concern is continuing to get an NHL paycheck. For any player who is not the son of an NHL player (or Kerfoot) the money is of major league importance to them, their future, their family and probably paying back their parents.

Only a privileged few in the history of the NHL have had the option saying I want a trade, or to sign, with a SC contender. TO suggest that the Sedins should make this a priority is insulting, but far more importantly, ignorant. IGNORANT! At the time you can be traded ... i.e.. the TDL their are 20 teams that might want your services. To suggest that you should choose one and give up on where u wish to play and live is a bad decision. Well ... just sad.

On top of that ... there are 2 of them. Makes this ignorant conversation almost moot. They are not going to be traded for assets. Give up that dream.

Also, they are probably aware of the fact (and this really is a minor point) that staying together in VCR gives them a chance to probably cement themselves into NHL history. Points as two brothers, points on 1 team, points as twins, not to mention the fact that the longer they stay with VCR cements them into VCR history. They will be record holders with canucks until someone can clone 3 or 4 McDavid kids into VCR canucks 25 years from now. Seriously. Does anyone see any chance of someone removing them from the pedestal in the foreseeable future?

This thread is tiresome. Sorry, Chris I enjoy talking to you here and even more so in person, but your inability to see faults in Luongo and still chastise the twins is ludicrous. Luongo was decent Canuck, but the Canucks meant more to the franchise than he did. And to suggest their loyalty is a mistake, but Luongo wanting out to go to a non contender ... sorry just sad.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
This letter really says nothing about their desire to win.

I 100% suspect if there was somehow, by some miracle, a great offer for the Sedins from a contending team at the deadline and management approached them and said, "Hey, we know you'd prefer to stay, but we think this trade would really help us in the future and you could get a chance at a Cup," they'd seriously consider it. Why not?

But of course they're not going to say that now. It's a sentimental letter, a nice bit of p.r., and that's it. They love this city, they want people to feel better about a team going through some brutal times, and they want to thank the fans ahead of what might be their final season. What does anyone expect them to say? "Hey, thanks for the memories, but we've got our hearts set on lifting a Cup in Nashville, enjoy the wreckage from the Benning-era, suckers."

Personally I'm fine with them staying until the end and retiring here. If things change, things change, but it seems awfully hard to imagine we'd be able to trade them even if they wanted out.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
This letter really says nothing about their desire to win.

I 100% suspect if there was somehow, by some miracle, a great offer for the Sedins from a contending team at the deadline and management approached them and said, "Hey, we know you'd prefer to stay, but we think this trade would really help us in the future and you could get a chance at a Cup," they'd seriously consider it. Why not?

But of course they're not going to say that now. It's a sentimental letter, a nice bit of p.r., and that's it. They love this city, they want people to feel better about a team going through some brutal times, and they want to thank the fans ahead of what might be their final season. What does anyone expect them to say? "Hey, thanks for the memories, but we've got our hearts set on lifting a Cup in Nashville, enjoy the wreckage from the Benning-era, suckers."

Personally I'm fine with them staying until the end and retiring here. If things change, things change, but it seems awfully hard to imagine we'd be able to trade them even if they wanted out.

Yeah, this tooo.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
this is how I see the situation

They want to retire with their teams they way Yzerman, Sakic, Ryan Smyth, Gilbert Perreault, Mike Bossy, Mario Lemiuex, Trevor Linden did. With the team they started with.

That is all. THAT IS ALL. Nothing to do with cups anymore, they just want to end their careers with the team they drafted him.

is that too much to ask for? Did Ken HOlland try to flip Yzerman for assets before he was about to retire? Just like the Sedins, he just want to end his career in Detroit. Sakic just want to end his career in Denver. Did Dave Nonis decide well lets give Linden a shot at the cup and flip him for a draft pick? He just wanted to end his carreer in Vancouver. Perreault and Ryan Smyth sure as heck wasn't flipped to a "contender" for draft picks before they retired.

so my question is.

are you guys using the they don't have cups so we should trade him for assets as your excuse to want to trade them? What difference does it actually make if they actually won the cup in 2011 then? you guys will still want to trade them right?

They just want to finish their careers with their teams the way Yzerman, Sakic did, nothing more. It has nothing to do with Stanley cups. They didn't get flipped for assets before they retired, a lot of great players finish their careers without having to get traded.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
at y2k

"Drew Doughty said it best. He said he doesn't give a **** where he plays, he just wants to win a Cup. And that's a guy who's already won two Cups."

Nhl.com just posted an article - "Doughty wants to remain King for life"

"I don't want to go anywhere else," defenseman says clarifying comments suggesting otherwise.-------"I don't want to win a cup anywhere else but LA. That's the bottom line."

He doesn't say he won't be traded, that a contract might not be reached, etc. but he doesn't want to leave. He says the stuff you said was attributed to him (I read it too) was taken a different way. He isn't committing himself for life period like the Sedins, but he doesn't want to leave.

Just saying.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I guess its the same feeling i got towards Ryan Smyth when he was about to retire. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't want to be traded to help out the Oilers. But then it wasn't a big deal back then because he wouldn't get much in return anyways.

The Sedins, on the other hand, has great value if we are willing to retain salary.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
Exactly - winning a Stanley Cup wouldn't mean as much if it's not with the Canucks. The Sedins love Vancouver, love this team, and want to win with this team, or not at all. I admire that loyalty.

I missed your previous post regarding Luongo prior to asking about him. Should he just quit? Is he some sort of loser because he's chosen lifestyle/family over winning? Should he be mocked for it? Should we suggest maybe he was never serious about winning in the first place, and that led to some playoff meltdowns?

If winning is all that matters to you, I have a suggestion - cheer for a different team. The Canucks are likely years away from winning a cup, so do yourself a favour and switch allegiances. A cup is a cup, right? It will feel just as good.

What would be so bad if the Sedins won a cup FOR Vancouver fans? Even if it is with a different team? And at the same time maybe helped push the rebuild a little, they would still be Vancouver's Sedins. Do you not think fans wouldn't come out to see the cup won for them by the Sedins?

Attitude.

Attitude often is the only thing separating skilled hockey players, the desire to "want it" more than the other guy, once that is gone then they are just players spinning out a season to earn a paycheck. This was one of the problems Edmonton got into, an atmosphere of "just being there" was good enough, of getting used to all the losing. Don't kid yourself this team is quickly becoming used to losing that is one reason there are older vets here on there last contract, AHL players, castoff marginal NHL players from other teams. To attempt to keep competition for roster spots, to make the game look more exciting.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
at y2k

"Drew Doughty said it best. He said he doesn't give a **** where he plays, he just wants to win a Cup. And that's a guy who's already won two Cups."

Nhl.com just posted an article - "Doughty wants to remain King for life"

"I don't want to go anywhere else," defenseman says clarifying comments suggesting otherwise.-------"I don't want to win a cup anywhere else but LA. That's the bottom line."

He doesn't say he won't be traded, that a contract might not be reached, etc. but he doesn't want to leave. He says the stuff you said was attributed to him (I read it too) was taken a different way. He isn't committing himself for life period like the Sedins, but he doesn't want to leave.

Just saying.

One thing to take into account besides just being a PR move is these players are people with families. Things wold have to be getting really bad for a player to demand, ask or even suggest he would like to be traded and uproot his family.

Just saying how do you think it would have played out if Henrik had said I want out of here because I want to win a cup?

But really read what they said, they didn't eliminate going for a cup after their contracts are up with another team, yes it may be a stretch to read that into their letter but really they didn't say they would never play for another team after their contracts are up. They didn't announce their retirement. They didn't say they will never play for another team.

Y2k hasn't posted anything wrong, there is nothing wrong with being alarmed that a player, any player suddenly states that winning the ultimate and most difficult prize doesn't matter to him anymore. AV asked Luongo if he wanted to play after being embarrassed in Boston, ASKED, now what if Luongo had said "its' okay to play the other guy", do you think Luongo would have played again?

The Sedins are and will be icons in this city regardless if they play a few months with another team, there is no reward for taking the hit and sticking it out for 4 months. Washington would do hand stands to add them to their team at the TDL and the Sedins would help them immensely. 4 months, half of which would have been on the road if they stay here anyway and they get a chance to win a cup for Vancouver fans. Now that is PR.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
One thing to take into account besides just being a PR move is these players are people with families. Things wold have to be getting really bad for a player to demand, ask or even suggest he would like to be traded and uproot his family.

Just saying how do you think it would have played out if Henrik had said I want out of here because I want to win a cup?

But really read what they said, they didn't eliminate going for a cup after their contracts are up with another team, yes it may be a stretch to read that into their letter but really they didn't say they would never play for another team after their contracts are up. They didn't announce their retirement. They didn't say they will never play for another team.

Y2k hasn't posted anything wrong, there is nothing wrong with being alarmed that a player, any player suddenly states that winning the ultimate and most difficult prize doesn't matter to him anymore. AV asked Luongo if he wanted to play after being embarrassed in Boston, ASKED, now what if Luongo had said "its' okay to play the other guy", do you think Luongo would have played again?

The Sedins are and will be icons in this city regardless if they play a few months with another team, there is no reward for taking the hit and sticking it out for 4 months. Washington would do hand stands to add them to their team at the TDL and the Sedins would help them immensely. 4 months, half of which would have been on the road if they stay here anyway and they get a chance to win a cup for Vancouver fans. Now that is PR.

there is no reward for taking the hit and sticking it out for 4 months

That's their decision to want to stay right? They earned it.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Islanders can compete not accoriding to you

Zhaolo

Aug 17, 2017

If you didn't imply all of that then why all the hate? So we've established teams are not giving up anything of value for them, and they're not causing locker room issues, what is the problem that their only desire is to win in Vancouver?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad