Daniel & Henrik Sedin Thread - Part III (MOD Notice Post # 53)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Henrik has been within .26 of .500 for faceoff percentage every year he has been in the NHL, except for his first year. And now this year too. Highest % at the end of a season was .525. Lowest (besides first year) was .474 (2nd year). This year he is sitting at .453. He was .523 last year, what could cause such a massive drop? Could it be that he will take a career high in FO attempts this year? That decrease % based on his total FO taken gives the other team possession of the puck after the draw over 100 more times this season. Only Monahan has more even strength FO losses this year, but has 145 more wins than Hank. Usually hand injuries causes this as well, but I have seen no indications that Henrik has an injury. I can't explain the anomaly.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
Henrik has been within .26 of .500 for faceoff percentage every year he has been in the NHL, except for his first year. And now this year too. Highest % at the end of a season was .525. Lowest (besides first year) was .474 (2nd year). This year he is sitting at .453. He was .523 last year, what could cause such a massive drop? Could it be that he will take a career high in FO attempts this year? That decrease % based on his total FO taken gives the other team possession of the puck after the draw over 100 more times this season. Only Monahan has more even strength FO losses this year, but has 145 more wins than Hank. Usually hand injuries causes this as well, but I have seen no indications that Henrik has an injury. I can't explain the anomaly.

Sometimes there is a strategy to lose faceoffs on purpose. If you have set plays to counter the other team, it can be beneficial in very certain circumstances. Or perhaps his last year was random chance that he ended up so high and his true talent level is close to, or just below, .500 and that these results are within the realm of possibility and expectation without extenuating circumstances.

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010

No Ryan Kesler.

Bo's great - but he's not the workhorse that Kes was yet. Hank's been taking more and harder faceoffs more frequently.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
They took away Vrbata's assist on the first goal and gave it to Dan, so if that holds he's at 70.

oh missed that. vaults daniel into the top 10, which is great. pushes vrby out of the top 25. but 40 minutes left in this barn-burner. come on, boys. pad those stats.

i predict the final score will be 15-7. 7 EN goals.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No Ryan Kesler.

Bo's great - but he's not the workhorse that Kes was yet. Hank's been taking more and harder faceoffs more frequently.

Yup. I think that's one thing to keep in mind when looking at faceoff percentages. The better ones are typically also taking the harder matchups, so when we see so many guys hovering around 50%, it doesn't necessarily mean the disparity between good and bad faceoff guys is as small as it appears.

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Disagree. They may still be getting assists, but it sure seems like more of their passes are getting deflected or intercepted. I know they play a high-risk game, so they are going to lose some as well as win some. Just feels like there are more losses these days than when they were at their peak.

My biggest concern is watching Henrik. He appears to be having trouble receiving passes. I can't recall seeing so many passes bounce off his stick like he had cement hands. Hopefully, it is nothing more than him nursing a short-term wrist injury.

Maybe he is playing with a wrist injury or tweaked his back again. I counted quite a few poor passes in the second period and this has been going on for a while now. These are passes that they used to make with ease. They are suffering some sort of injury or concussion, or are simply fatigued. They might continue be 60-75 point players for a couple more years, but clearly they have regressed. They are not nearly as consistent as they used to be in terms of actual play. Anyone who thinks they are top 20 players is an idiot.

Last edited:

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Henrik must have a hand/wrist injury, terrible at FO and never seen him make so many bad passes

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Daniel now up to t-9th in scoring. 3rd in assists, 2 off the league lead.

If we rip up Arizona/Edmonton in our last 2 games, he could potentially take the assist title.

Crazy that the notion he was 'barely a 2nd liner' was popular here last summer.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
was it? daniel looked pretty done last year and the year before. i mean i had full confidence that daniel + henrik was a first line this year but i figured it would be an elite henrik carrying an aging daniel more than this

one of the few times adv. stats didn't help much because he was inseparable from henrik, lol, and my "eye test" said danny was struggling with something, maybe age

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
was it? daniel looked pretty done last year and the year before. i mean i had full confidence that daniel + henrik was a first line this year but i figured it would be an elite henrik carrying an aging daniel more than this

one of the few times adv. stats didn't help much because he was inseparable from henrik, lol, and my "eye test" said danny was struggling with something, maybe age

Yeah definitely. I argued for sure that Henrik is a noticeably better player than Daniel now. Oops

Edit: Wait!! Maybe they've just actually switched jerseys all season!?? Would explain why "Henrik" has been so bad at faceoffs, has more goals than "Daniel" and why "Daniel" has a shot at the assists crown. Hmmm... :sarcasm:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
what's crazy to me is they're only 3 points apart, but that 3 points is the difference between 9th and 19th in the league.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Maybe he is playing with a wrist injury or tweaked his back again. I counted quite a few poor passes in the second period and this has been going on for a while now. These are passes that they used to make with ease. They are suffering some sort of injury or concussion, or are simply fatigued. They might continue be 60-75 point players for a couple more years, but clearly they have regressed. They are not nearly as consistent as they used to be in terms of actual play. Anyone who thinks they are top 20 players is an idiot.

One of them is tied for 9th in league scoring... And tied for 13th in ES points. I dunno what that's supposed to mean though of course. :sarcasm:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

you dont know what a top 20 player is :(

One of them is tied for 9th in league scoring... And tied for 13th in ES points. I dunno what that's supposed to mean though of course. :sarcasm:

clearly means they're medicore second line forwards

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
Damn Im gonna miss watching these guys play :(
Doubt we'll see players of their calibre in Vanity for awhile

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
They came up with a statement game tonight! You always know the Sedins are stepping up when they A) battle and play hard on the puck and B) try other things. The latter is the biggest indicator for me, given how stubborn the Sedins can be in their ways. When they're trying new things - aka getting shots off from everywhere, trying wraparounds - you know they're making an effort to dig deep and put the team on their backs.

They got a huge goal tonight and drove possession for the whole game against the best possession team in the league. Now I just hope they can continue this. The whole team just rises to the occasion when they do and really it's not that surprising because they are the leaders! Teams need leaders at this time of the year.

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
They came up with a statement game tonight! You always know the Sedins are stepping up when they A) battle and play hard on the puck and B) try other things. The latter is the biggest indicator for me, given how stubborn the Sedins can be in their ways. When they're trying new things - aka getting shots off from everywhere, trying wraparounds - you know they're making an effort to dig deep and put the team on their backs.

They got a huge goal tonight and drove possession for the whole game against the best possession team in the league. Now I just hope they can continue this. The whole team just rises to the occasion when they do and really it's not that surprising because they are the leaders! Teams need leaders at this time of the year.

True. Their leadership is definitely and underrated part of their game. Looking back now, Henrik over Kesler was definitely the right choice for the "C". I just don't think most people realize how lucky we are to have have them. We've been spoiled as a fan base getting to watch them do their thing for the past 10+ years (more so post lockout).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad